IGNORED

Action Thread - what would YOU do?

Numero Uno

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

So mix that in with a bit of experience and hunger (not players over the hill collecting a wage).

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The Senior players in the main have let us down so what you have to do is get a few new Senior players in. It's fine to go with a predominantly young team but you really do need some know how sprinkled alongside them so that "collectively" the team doesn't panic and continues to do the things the Manager wants them to do, that they've worked on in training, when they're under the cosh for a 10 minute spell or when they've gone a goal down after battering the opposition for half an hour etc. That's where experience is invaluable..............our problem is that we have a few experienced players who are struggling to play at the level themselves and have to put so much focus on their own game that they couldn't possibly help out the kid 20 yards in front of them!!

I agree that a mix is needed, I think we should explore getting players in their prime/experienced using loans. Especially if the finances are tight. 

I think the loans Baker/Mawson/Kalas were good examples of us being able to do that in the past. 

Looking forward I would:

STOP PLAYING FAMMY, above all else!

With regard to the OOC players, offer Walsh a new contract for sure (otherwise he will leave as a free agent and no doubt join and star for Ipswich). New contract for Wiemann, IF he will take a pay cut. Get rid of all others over 23.

Make a decision on whether to appoint NP longer term or not, if not bring that person in ASAP.

Get a footballing man in as DoF and a proper recruitment person and completely overhaul (and dismiss where needed) the medical/conditioning team.

1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

I thought NPs post-match interview was interesting as he said some players are not taking personal responsibility for their performances. We could speculate to whom he was referring. Some players are no longer playing for the shirt (self evident) and need to move on.

I have long expected a big turnover of players this summer with so many out of contract. We also need to establish a balance between youth and experience to develop our young players; many have been thrown in at the deep end this season. It feels like we have a lot of promising young players but maybe too many to bring through at the same time in the championship and some will need to be moved on or loaned out.

I hope NP is the man to lead the renewal of the playing squad but whoever it is has one hell of a task on their hands.

"Has one hell of a task on their hands"-- and the award for understatement of the year goes to WarksRobin!!

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

"Has one hell of a task on their hands"-- and the award for understatement of the year goes to WarksRobin!

SL says to NP "you've one hell of a task on your hands. Have you got what it takes and are you prepared to do what is required to turn the club around?"

Hopefully NP replies, " Yes I have and I am, but have and are  you?" 

2 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

I thought NPs post-match interview was interesting as he said some players are not taking personal responsibility for their performances. We could speculate to whom he was referring. Some players are no longer playing for the shirt (self evident) and need to move on.

This is the first time really that he has started to throw players under the bus short of naming individuals. That suggests to me that he has had the conversation with the Owner who is accepting of the current state of affairs as explained to him by Pearson (if they talk regularly as claimed then not only will this have been mentioned but NAMES too).

I dont get why the blame is being pointed at Pearson. We have been on a slow downward spiral for at least the past 3 seasons, which started after the Semi-Final defeat to Man City. Holden was taking us down and perhaps that little boost when Pearson was appointed was just enough to see us safe. Although we are not out of danger yet. 

We have lost some of our best players but crucially have not replaced them. Our recruitment has been scatter gun to the extent that we have an unbalanced squad. We can all see it. We also frankly, have some not very good players, who have not adequately replaced those sold. Perhaps even more criminally, a sizeable portion of the squad is out of contract and so has no incentive at all to do well for us. To have so many pros in this position is poor management.  Thus, Pearson needs to be able to do a proper overhaul and root out 70 percent of this squad. Its a big job and it needs a man of Pearson's calibre. 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Non Playing

Pearson, Walsh, Scudamore, Gould in pdq.

They oversee a massive clear out - coaches, medics, fitness. 

Playing

Bents, Kalas keep. Find out where the hell Williams is and what is he doing and possibly keep. 

See if we can flog off anyone else and reinvest in players who have personal pride, passion in their performances, are strong mentally and physically (with decent hamstrings) and have some ****** leadership qualities. 

Simples. 

Once upon a time I really rated Kalas - but his distribution really negates what he does defensively. 

I love the OP from @Numero Uno as it is an example of the sort of decisive action that the club needs. Unfortunately, in recent years, decisive action is the attribute that Steve Lansdown lacks. In his early years at the club he seemed to be a different person - eg appointing Gary Johnson and sticking with him. Since he’s stepped back and moved to Guernsey he’s slipped into semi retirement mode, which at 68 is a bit too early to put your feet up and watch TV 

There are several threads on this but the obvious starting point is decisions need to be made now.

Pearson’s results have been poor but seeing as a replacement would take up not only the remainder of this season but beyond the date by which you have to inform players they are being released, unless he walks (which I doubt) we should appoint him now.

Getting rid of a lot of disinterested players out of contract is the easy bit, moving on those under contract & recruiting about 8 replacements is far tougher, no one gets that last bit completely right.

Finally our structure has absolutely no permanence about it, we don’t need just a manager, we need to fill the majority of other positions too, recruitment, conditioning, medical.

Root and branch change is needed & quickly.

Here’s what I’d do. 
All OOC players leave. 
Those in contract, suggest to Nagy, Wells, Palmer, Moore & O’Dowda that they need to find a new club. Happy to sell all of them at a loss. 
Pearson confirmed asap. Steve Walsh in as Dof. At least enquire about Shakespeare. If not, then Pearson to choose his backroom team. 
Sign Ryan Nyambe, Joe Rothwell, Josh Knight, Leo Ostigard, Scott Twine, Taylor Richards all on free transfers. Sign Thomas Henry, Stephen Humphrys, Josh Key, Ben Sheaf for fees. 

Leaves a squad for next season of :

GK : Bentley, O’Leary. 
LB : Dasilva, Pring. 
RB : Nyambe, Key. 
CB : Kalas, Ostigard, Knight, Vyner. 
CM : Rothwell, Sheaf, HNM, Bakinson, Williams. 
AM : Twine, Richards, Semenyo. 
ST : Henry, Humphrys. 

If budget allowed, probably look at another forward option, one of Jephcott/Yates and perhaps even Matt Jay. 

Back those up with Towler, Pearson, Bell, Cundy, Edwards, Conway, Scott, Britton. 

Won’t happen. But that’s what I’d do. 

Appoint NP on two year contract. 

Focus immediate attention on aquiring or retaining NP's choices of support staff.

Ship out unwanted OOC players and start to build around those players who will remain (including appropriate youngsters).

Get some new players in of course - splashing out millions not essential!

Baseline target to be Championship safety next year with aim to finish mid-table. 

Look to challenge for top 6-8 in second season.

Review progress.

It's going to take time to get things right. We are currently in one hell of a mess and there is a lot to do. Back to square one doesn't even begin to describe our current situation. So much time and money wasted in the last few years ?

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Here’s what I’d do. 
All OOC players leave. 
Those in contract, suggest to Nagy, Wells, Palmer, Moore & O’Dowda that they need to find a new club. Happy to sell all of them at a loss. 
Pearson confirmed asap. Steve Walsh in as Dof. At least enquire about Shakespeare. If not, then Pearson to choose his backroom team. 
Sign Ryan Nyambe, Joe Rothwell, Josh Knight, Leo Ostigard, Scott Twine, Taylor Richards all on free transfers. Sign Thomas Henry, Stephen Humphrys, Josh Key, Ben Sheaf for fees. 

Leaves a squad for next season of :

GK : Bentley, O’Leary. 
LB : Dasilva, Pring. 
RB : Nyambe, Key. 
CB : Kalas, Ostigard, Knight, Vyner. 
CM : Rothwell, Sheaf, HNM, Bakinson, Williams. 
AM : Twine, Richards, Semenyo. 
ST : Henry, Humphrys. 

If budget allowed, probably look at another forward option, one of Jephcott/Yates and perhaps even Matt Jay. 

Back those up with Towler, Pearson, Bell, Cundy, Edwards, Conway, Scott. 

Won’t happen. But that’s what I’d do. 

Might not agree with each player, but apart from W.Elliott and A.Wilbraham you look to have a squad that looks hungry, young enough to have plenty of development in them, who in the main should be more than ready to compete at this level.  Not playoff chasing, but a growable squad.

We need to be under no uncertain terms that the decisions the club makes over the next 5 or 6 weeks will massively effect the direction the club takes over the next 5 or 6 seasons.

We've been lucky in one respect. When our last stay in the Championship came to an end the decline was a slow and protracted one resulting in relegation with an overbloated squad of underperforming players and woeful management. The big difference this time around is that a significant number of our squad, most who we would happily see moved on, are out of contract in the summer. This gives us breathing space to rebuild without trying to offload players who are under longer term and more lucrative contracts than their actual worth.

We also have a manager with a strong reputation within the game and one who has managed at the highest levels.

I agree with many of the previous posts. Mark Ashton should be at home watching This Morning with Phil and Holly and nowhere near our club at the moment. We have to start the rebuild process now and we must get it right. We can't afford to be charging around in the summer trying to build a recruitment team and identify the players we want. By then it will be too late.

With money tight across football every club will want to maximise their sales while getting as many players as posssible on the cheap. A smart recruitment team is a must at this time.

We must confirm our managerial situation as soon as possible. Put in place a recruitment team and a new director of football and commence the process of rebuilding the squad.

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Of course not. All the ooc lot will be out as well, as you know, or maybe you didn't, and I agreed totally with the OP, FFS.

Apologies if I appeared to insult your intelligence but it appeared that you favoured only moving on Wells and Palmer from the players with contracts.

There's so much to be done and I suppose we all have differing opinions on player's level of performance. Without going into individuals I feel we have very few at the level required, unproven youngsters accepted, when compared to what we are playing agains in this league and that includes bottom of the league Wycombe.

What would I do? Appoint Pearson on a multi year contract as he's said he needs a number of transfer windows to deal with the issues. Bring in Steve Walsh and DoF and Richard Gould as CEO for the day to day running of the club. 

The rest of this season can be a bit of a write off as it does seem some of the players just don't care. Play the kids for the rest of the season if you want gold exposure and it'll be a telling indication of whether some need to go out on loan. 

21 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

What would I do? Appoint Pearson on a multi year contract as he's said he needs a number of transfer windows to deal with the issues. Bring in Steve Walsh and DoF and Richard Gould as CEO for the day to day running of the club. 

The rest of this season can be a bit of a write off as it does seem some of the players just don't care. Play the kids for the rest of the season if you want gold exposure and it'll be a telling indication of whether some need to go out on loan. 

I wouldn’t go near Gould. 

Just empower Nige to begin the revolution, by giving him     the security of a decent contract and then let him loose on some of the player's masquerading as footballers.  Let him bring in his own coaches, staff and medical team, and then weed out the non triers and do not play them again.  Obviously certain players need to be offered contracts, Walsh  etc, and then spend the summer recruiting footballers with some pride, ability and character to somehow lead this club back from the wilderness....................Oh, and free season tickets for all ?  ha!   ?           

Mark Ashton & famara . Alright lads , get in your cars , **** off and never darken our door steps again. 
nigel Pearson 3 year contract with the remit to sort these frauds out.

every player OOC barring Walsh please ****  off now I’d rather play the u18’s 

medical team . End of the season you’re done , sacked

positives

get some football counsel . Appoint the best DOF financially available, even head hunt the best . That appointment is vital . 

part of the DOF remit is to set up the best scouting network worldwide even eclipsing the likes of Man City . It will cost but save millions in the long run. 

Have a philosophy of play , formation , so when the manager changes the recruitment doesn’t . I E a back 4 , 3 in midfield etc .  It gives managers flexibility in changing formation but as a DOF  you know the type of players you’re trying to recruit. 

make fans feel valued . Simple things like a food voucher ? ( I know) but a free first pint every home game or pie but make every concession open until 9pm with screens showing live games . People will stay if you're offering a incentive. Every child under 16 a free season ticket when bought with a adult ticket . Students £50 for a season ticket. Reduced season tickets for people on a minimum wage . 
reduced prices for fans  that have had a season ticket for ten years or above 

free season tickets for the disabled , their carers & free parking . 

Much improved  reliable , free  public transport . Just show your season ticket or match ticket , as they do in Germany . 
sounds like I’d be giving plenty away but if you make the fans feel valued 
Then they’ll spend more money. 

Archived