IGNORED

Kalas the captain

Olé

Before anything, just to head off inevitable "oh look OTIB needs another scapegoat" - I acknowledge that Kalas is our best defender by far and gives everything when he plays. Now that's out the way, has he actually done anything (besides an emotional speech after the Barnsley game) to evidence that he's captain material?

I have no problem with the idea of him leading by example by his effort, but to translate that into captaincy he surely needs to be able to get into the heads of all the players around him, talk to them as required to get them focussed and concentrating, and demand more pride from players even if they're ignoring the manager.  

All evidence would suggest he hasn't achieved much of that and a team so disorganised at set pieces can hardly claim to be well led if it has a centre half as captain throughout that. I like Kalas but he doesn't strike me as pro-actively vocal and being most expensive isn't a qualification to lead. It should be on winners not wages. 

By the way, since LJ took over we have had a wider problem with leadership. We used to have leaders in other positions (Korey, Wade Elliott, Wilbraham). We've lacked this since, LJ even admitted so, but then never fixed it. Brunt/Lansbury may help the midfielders but who will lead our young forwards? Nahki Wells? Christ. 

Jury is out on Kalas for me for the money that we paid after the Webster sale. I think Webster could have made any defender look very good alongside him that season. Fulham dropped him on their way to the play-off final & pretty sure (could be wrong) that he was also dropped at Boro towards the end of their season.

Dont get me wrong, he is a capable defender in a mid to lower champ team, but dont think you will get play-offs or promotion with him unless he has a top defender alongside of him & dont think he has enough “b@stard” in him to be a captain of a weak side.

We need leaders and players that want to actually fight for the badge if we’re to get anywhere. I don’t see any captains in that team now.

All that money spent and it’s still one of the worst footballing sides I’ve seen since I’ve been supporting. Can hardly create, we get bullied, worst at defending set pieces. 

so much uncertainty at the club and I can’t see how we’re going to be able to rebuild and sort out this sh*tshow. So much needs to be done, worrying.

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Akinfenwa destroyed our defence when he came on. I think Kalas is weak and nowhere near as good as people make out.

Completely agree. A steady defender at this level when he has quality alongside him (Webster, Baker). Not a leader. Not the man to help someone like Vyner develop. Massively overpriced and Chelsea must have laughed all the way to the bank the day they offloaded Kalas, Dasilva (overrated IMO) and Palmer.  

Honestly - i dont see any player in that squad that stands out as a Leader on the pitch. That is part of the problem. You dont have to go very far back to see we had several leaders in the team a few years back. Flint. Pack. Smith. Kalas is probably the best of the current bunch but it needs addressing

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

No, and I wouldn't be too gutted if he left.

I wouldn’t be too surprised either. He has been one of the few to perform this season but he has captained what I consider to be the worst bunch of players in a non-relegation season that I can recall. I think after having a couple of successful seasons before joining us he may well be looking for a team with a better chance of success   next season and NP might want to recruit fresh leaders.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Before anything, just to head off inevitable "oh look OTIB needs another scapegoat" - I acknowledge that Kalas is our best defender by far and gives everything when he plays. Now that's out the way, has he actually done anything (besides an emotional speech after the Barnsley game) to evidence that he's captain material?

I have no problem with the idea of him leading by example by his effort, but to translate that into captaincy he surely needs to be able to get into the heads of all the players around him, talk to them as required to get them focussed and concentrating, and demand more pride from players even if they're ignoring the manager.  

All evidence would suggest he hasn't achieved much of that and a team so disorganised at set pieces can hardly claim to be well led if it has a centre half as captain throughout that. I like Kalas but he doesn't strike me as pro-actively vocal and being most expensive isn't a qualification to lead. It should be on winners not wages. 

By the way, since LJ took over we have had a wider problem with leadership. We used to have leaders in other positions (Korey, Wade Elliott, Wilbraham). We've lacked this since, LJ even admitted so, but then never fixed it. Brunt/Lansbury may help the midfielders but who will lead our young forwards? Nahki Wells? Christ. 

I know I'll upset some but it is a legacy of the Lee Johnson years. He could not cope with those who think for themselves, those who are prepared to speak up with an alternative opinion and above all, those who had achieved caps, titles and cups.

We haven't seen any City players geeing up others during the games for nearly three years now. Remember that Korey Smith  missed almost two seasons before he left.

As for Tomas Kalas, I see him as a very self determined, lower level international quality defender. By that I mean a country out of the German, Italian level. He is a "doer" rather than a leader. He gets drawn out of position because, IMO, he sees the faults of others and, on his own, tries to put it right. Very admirable but his quality is actually having a negative effect at times on the whole defence leaving others exposed. 

I am not criticising him as I think he has worked hard for his pay packet since he arrived. It's just that we are an eleven individual outfit, not a TEAM, on the pitch. The result is that we are conceding lots of times from corners, crosses easpecially when we have the whole team in our penalty box, disorganised and getting in each others way.

I have never, apart from a couple of weeks in 1956, been coached for football and neither was I any good as a player. Too slow and a coward who did not want to get hurt!

But my experience gained from watching League and International football since I was six, all over the UK and some times in Europe, has helped me to read a game and to evaluate where things need to be corrected. Bristol City need some leaders. There is only one on the books at this time, Taylor Moore who may not be Championship standard as a player, so we need to recruit several in a hurry before we start next season. 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I think the lack of leadership is more of a societal problem, rather than one restricted to BCFC. Warnock even said the same about Boro in the last year. This is a sweeping generalisation for which I apologise, but I suspect most people under the age of 25 are are afraid to speak their mind or bollock others. 

That said, I think Joe Williams might make a good captain if we can keep him fit. He seems the sort of character to drag others up by the bootstraps. 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

We've lacked this since, LJ even admitted so, but then never fixed it. Brunt/Lansbury may help the midfielders but who will lead our young forwards? Nahki Wells? Christ. 

Leaders within a group will often challenge those they report into - LJ wouldn't like that

I'm a big fan of Kalas. He's an excellent athlete, a natural defender and IMO one of our only players who can have some pride in their individual performance this season. For me, Kalas is a player who wouldn't look out of place in the top third of the championship. 

As others have pointed out, he's very strong in terms of "leading by example", but maybe doesn't seem as confident when it comes to the vocal/organisation side of things. Think he/we would benefit from having a player more suited to that type of leadership in the heart of defence with him (probably either a CB or GK).

One note in Kalas' defence when it comes to leading/motivating those around him:
To what extent is it the case that those around him are near-impossible to motivate? What on Earth does a captain say to a player like Fam at this point? What do they say to a player who's out of contract in a few weeks? We've seen the experienced Pearson also struggle to produce a side who look motivated and united. 

I feel as though the issue may run deeper than the leadership abilities of the captain or manager. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I wouldn’t be too surprised either. He has been one of the few to perform this season but he has captained what I consider to be the worst bunch of players in a non-relegation season that I can recall. I think after having a couple of successful seasons before joining us he may well be looking for a team with a better chance of success   next season and NP might want to recruit fresh leaders.

I'm not really comfortable with the suggestion that Kalas has 'performed', when he is the captain and defensive leader of a very poor side that has consistently shipped goals. 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm not really comfortable with the suggestion that Kalas has 'performed', when he is the captain and defensive leader of a very poor side that has consistently shipped goals. 

You’re right ‘performed’ is probably an exaggeration. Done better than most as a player (which isn’t difficult) but pretty anonymous as a Captain

4 hours ago, Olé said:

I don't think he's leadership/captain material, but as others have said, who is the alternative??

Being that leader is part of your personality, and it's not Kalas's fault that its not in his make up. I don't hold him responsible for that - if there's a fault it lies in whoever appointed him to the role.

But who else is there? I've said elsewhere, I think the closest we have to a leader is HNM - just 6 years too early. He's the one player recently who's responded to us conceding a goal by racing into the net to pick the ball up and run back to the centre spot. While seasoned pros like Hunt and Rowe have just trudged back, heads down. They should be ashamed to have a 19 year old setting them an example.

7 hours ago, Olé said:

What would you suggest the player says to the senior pro up front? The one who gets to amble around with a stinking attitude and still gets picked. 

7 hours ago, Olé said:

I’ve been (occasionally) banging on about this ever since our season went whatsits up, and long before the demise of Dean Holden, but never seemed to get much interest.  Kalas strikes me as one of the most ineffectual captains we’ve ever had, and at a time when we’ve needed strong leadership on the field and guidance for the younger players his influence had been noticeably lacking.  I think Dean Holden has the right to feel very let down by Kalas, and he hardly seems to be busting a gut for Pearson.  It’s not all about leading by example...

When you think back to some of the captains we’ve had: Rob Newman, Shaun Taylor, Geoff Merrick.  Aaron Wilbraham - now there was leadership and not at all surprised to see him go into management

10 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Keep repeating this... not all Captains are loud, shouty and in your face. 

Captains in the modern football sense are largely ceremonial. 

There are multiple types of Captain, just as there are multiple types of leader. 

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/leadership-styles

just something to note. 

And it's about having the right captain for your particular team. Surely we need a shouty, "come on lads, we've got to be better" type?

Archived