IGNORED

Kalas the captain

Olé

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I noticed that he was the only one not to do so too, how long has he been doing this?

It is pretty recent. A cynic on Twitter pointed out it may have been since a Czech international teammate got charged with making racist comments.

As to the original post, he is a very good player but not a captain. But he may be the best option we have right now and that is the problem.

22 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Keep repeating this... not all Captains are loud, shouty and in your face. 

Captains in the modern football sense are largely ceremonial. 

There are multiple types of Captain, just as there are multiple types of leader. 

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/leadership-styles

just something to note. 

This is true but I am not convinced we have many types of leader at all.

9 hours ago, Super said:

Akinfenwa destroyed our defence when he came on. I think Kalas is weak and nowhere near as good as people make out.

I've said it before and i'll say it again... we have a very weak spine and Kalas is NOT a dominant first ball centre back.

He is a fairly strong defender in his own right (nobody is bullying Akinfenwa) but he needs a physical player alongside him.

Don't forget, as well that due to injuries and our general recruitment shambles, he's now being asked to play as the left sided centre back which isn't where he wants to play... square pegs in round holes AGAIN.

I think he's a decent Champ centre back but our lack of size and physicality is alarming!

Firstly I'd start off and say I think Kalas is a good player for us.  However, as fans I think we get too bogged down with captains and their roles. For many people, The captain has to be on the pitch shouting at others and organizing. The role of the club captain has changed in my view, I agree you need leaders on the pitch but they don't have to wear the armband. In the modern game the captain is charge of fines and discipline usually outside of match days, Things like tardiness, commitment and general etiquette. I would say that the captain usually has both the managers and players trust. Kalas could be exceptionally good at pulling people up on their punctuality etc. We will never find out. The armband has always been very much a ceremonial gesture, even more so in todays game. He might be the captain but that doesn't stop us having 11 "leaders" on the pitch.  

7 hours ago, Gmac said:

Firstly I'd start off and say I think Kalas is a good player for us.  However, as fans I think we get too bogged down with captains and their roles. For many people, The captain has to be on the pitch shouting at others and organizing. The role of the club captain has changed in my view, I agree you need leaders on the pitch but they don't have to wear the armband. In the modern game the captain is charge of fines and discipline usually outside of match days, Things like tardiness, commitment and general etiquette. I would say that the captain usually has both the managers and players trust. Kalas could be exceptionally good at pulling people up on their punctuality etc. We will never find out. The armband has always been very much a ceremonial gesture, even more so in todays game. He might be the captain but that doesn't stop us having 11 "leaders" on the pitch.  

Your last bit about leaders is right.

NP said the other week (paraphrased) - we don’t have players challenging the professionalism and motivation of their teammates 

To us fans, that is the equivalent of the on-pitch rollicking.  We don’t see that, nor should we either, but at times it’s necessary, like now.  I very much doubt that is happening behind closed doors either.  It’s just allowed to fester away.

Wilbraham was the enforcer of standards in Cotts team.

Holden brought in Brunt (yeah, yeah, I know ?) to do that here too.  He’s gone.  As have the other “proper pros” Weimann and Martin through injury.

Cosy club remains, at least until NP is given longer term remit.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Your last bit about leaders is right.

NP said the other week (paraphrased) - we don’t have players challenging the professionalism and motivation of their teammates 

To us fans, that is the equivalent of the on-pitch rollicking.  We don’t see that, nor should we either, but at times it’s necessary, like now.  I very much doubt that is happening behind closed doors either.  It’s just allowed to fester away.

Wilbraham was the enforcer of standards in Cotts team.

Holden brought in Brunt (yeah, yeah, I know ?) to do that here too.  He’s gone.  As have the other “proper pros” Weimann and Martin through injury.

Cosy club remains, at least until NP is given longer term remit.

you have mentioned the one name i would suggest Dave. Weimann is all over the pitch all of the match,if any words were needed,i would put the band there,that is if his legs are any good after his acl, and for what its worth,its only my opinion,i think he might be the only one who has suffered a genuine long term injury this season. got a horrible feeling a great deal of the others have been milking it. worried about contracting covid maybe,i dont know . i just find it hard to believe it can take so long for pulled muscles to mend

Archived