IGNORED

Can you trap a medicine ball? and hold the ball up the pitch

where's the joy

If you can trap a medicine ball then maybe we will ask you to stay for next season.

If you can't then please leave.

Try as I might I can see no excuses or reasons to explain Wells' lack of ability when attempting to control a ball.

Palmer doesn't have the ability to take less than 3 touches, Fam wear's Toblerone boots. Hunt has a touch like a pin ball machine.

The list goes on and on

Please big Nige pick some forwards from the youngsters who can hold the ball up and help us maintain possession.

Playing with your back to the goal is still very important and without Chris Martin's 'wardrobe' approach we have looked lost.

Wilbrahamovic, Glynn Riley, Joe Jordan all could 'hold the ball up'. we need another one sharpish

I'm always astonished at how poor some professional players are at controlling a ball. It's basic stuff. Even at amateur level...if you couldn't do the basics you wouldn't play.

I do think with some, it's complacency. Others...just not able to do it. It really is bizarre. 

As a coach you'd be ripping your hair out.

How can you spend millions on a player and they can't do the basics, not even under pressure. 

How the hell can't you cross a ball accurately...it's not hard with practice.

Some of the technical ability of some of our players is absolutely appalling.

Even during warm up when practicing shooting...very few sweetly hit. Scuffed or miss target. It's shit quality for this level.

I think what we take for granted is the speed of the professional game that we're not used to. Pros hit the ball harder at each other because they have to move the ball quickly. They are also faster to come under pressure and need to take a perfect touch everytime, as a good touch may not be good enough. Put them in a downs league team and they'd all look like they've got the first touch of Messi.

1 minute ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I think what we take for granted is the speed of the professional game that we're not used to. Pros hit the ball harder at each other because they have to move the ball quickly. They are also faster to come under pressure and need to take a perfect touch everytime, as a good touch may not be good enough. Put them in a downs league team and they'd all look like they've got the first touch of Messi.

That is true...but you create space to receive the ball. Ours don't move. Some don't shape their body correctly to receive the ball. And as professionals at this level, you pass precisely to a space, weighted correctly, right height, to the correct side of a player, as in away from the danger or to run onto.

Watch some of ours...it's just a nonchelent pass into an area. Not weighted or precise.

Even throw ins. How many times do you see a ball just thrown without thought. Bouncing up to chest height and not to feet. Leaving little time to control properly before being pounced on.

It's basic stuff at this level. And often we don't do it...either because we are incapable, lazy or not able to take on board direction.

Why practice one touch football, when in a game you have to take three touches before releasing.

It's dire.

12 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Exactly this. It isn't players touch is poor sometimes.

Also why can't strikers hit the target with only the keeper to beat? - I have lost count of how many times Wells has blasted  the ball over the crossbar with a clear sight on goal.  Last night there was a glaring example  - is it technique or just blind panic?

55 minutes ago, spudski said:

That is true...but you create space to receive the ball. Ours don't move. Some don't shape their body correctly to receive the ball. And as professionals at this level, you pass precisely to a space, weighted correctly, right height, to the correct side of a player, as in away from the danger or to run onto.

Watch some of ours...it's just a nonchelent pass into an area. Not weighted or precise.

Even throw ins. How many times do you see a ball just thrown without thought. Bouncing up to chest height and not to feet. Leaving little time to control properly before being pounced on.

It's basic stuff at this level. And often we don't do it...either because we are incapable, lazy or not able to take on board direction.

Why practice one touch football, when in a game you have to take three touches before releasing.

It's dire.

Very true.  When one of my mates signed for Coventry, one of the first things he noticed was the step up in passing, both tempo and accuracy, and how the receiver wanted the pass onto a specific foot, etc.  The timing of the pass is crucial too, either to avoid contact from your marker, or engage your marker so you can roll them.  That can be both passer and receivers fault.  Look at how many times Diedhiou is off balance upon receipt.  Some of that is him being on his heels, some of it is delaying of the pass.

Having just watched the highlights......I don't believe Fam could trap an aspirin, let alone a medicine ball.  His appalling ball skills allowed a chance for Akinfenwa to happen ,  and while i am at it, Sessognon was sooooooo pheckin weak for the headed equaliser, and I had to laugh/cry at Palmer's reaction to finding his ineptitude had created the penalty?   The Astonishment and disbelief as he reacted to the penalty award makes me wonder if he is all there?, or maybe he was just tired after his 8 minute run out?

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Very true.  When one of my mates signed for Coventry, one of the first things he noticed was the step up in passing, both tempo and accuracy, and how the receiver wanted the pass onto a specific foot, etc.  The timing of the pass is crucial too, either to avoid contact from your marker, or engage your marker so you can roll them.  That can be both passer and receivers fault.  Look at how many times Diedhiou is off balance upon receipt.  Some of that is him being on his heels, some of it is delaying of the pass.

I know Fam has certain strengths...main one being conning football Clubs, joking aside, he's so frustrating. He's not what I call a natural footballer. He's a ball watcher. Reactionary rather than Pro active.

As an example...Look at his movement yesterday after giving the ball to Nagy before the goal. It's hilarious...run in a straight line just looking at the ball. Do Scouts look at that and think what a player? He's absolute pants 95% of the time. Shocking forward imo.

Doesn't create space for himself, doesn't win or challenge the CBs, doesn't come for the ball, doesn't press etc etc...one of the worst forwards we've ever had.

And as for body language and attitude....him and Wells stink.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

It's dire.

Because coaching a one touch mentality should internalise the movements to make playing two and three touch easier. 

I don't think Bristol City practice throws ins, or not enough. Its a free pass. A sloppy pass BCFC style.  

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Because coaching a one touch mentality should internalise the movements to make playing two and three touch easier. 

I don't think Bristol City practice throws ins, or not enough. Its a free pass. A sloppy pass BCFC style.  

Agreed. 

Sometimes less is more. Palmer for example. One touch to where you want the ball...not three, then look up. He's a prime example of can't do or understand what he's being asked to do. Aesthetically pleasing, but no end result.

What we have to remember is that last night, these 2 strikers whom we’ve laid out £10m in fees and a hefty amount of wage, were essentially up against League 2 defenders. 
Yes, the pro game does make it more difficult to get your first touch right every time, whether pace of pass, angle of pass, pressure from defender etc. 
But for a £10m strike force, you’d expect better when against Stewart, Grimmer & Jacobson, who’ve gained most of their league appearances in the bottom division. 

To not be able to hold up a ball against what is supposed to be such inferior players is simply not good enough. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I know Fam has certain strengths...main one being conning football Clubs, joking aside, he's so frustrating. He's not what I call a natural footballer. He's a ball watcher. Reactionary rather than Pro active.

As an example...Look at his movement yesterday after giving the ball to Nagy before the goal. It's hilarious...run in a straight line just looking at the ball. Do Scouts look at that and think what a player? He's absolute pants 95% of the time. Shocking forward imo.

Doesn't create space for himself, doesn't win or challenge the CBs, doesn't come for the ball, doesn't press etc etc...one of the worst forwards we've ever had.

And as for body language and attitude....him and Wells stink.

The problem with Fam is he's scores plenty of goals for his price tag, so he's clearly got another club and CBA to put in a shift for us.  If we had bought Birt Assombalonga instead of him we would have paid 10m more and got less goals.  Sadly if we have a player in the academy who can score 15 goals a season they will be off at the end of the season. 

Both Fam and Wells were guilty of lack of desire yesterday which in turn leads to sloppy play.

Wells had a couple of half chances that were so badly executed you’d have been surprised if Bentley was playing up front and produced that.

That bloke is going to be a problem for Nige or whoever, at least Fam has given blood sweat and tears at times in his stay, Wells has looked pretty disinterested from day 1. 

6 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

The problem with Fam is he's scores plenty of goals for his price tag, so he's clearly got another club and CBA to put in a shift for us.  If we had bought Birt Assombalonga instead of him we would have paid 10m more and got less goals.  Sadly if we have a player in the academy who can score 15 goals a season they will be off at the end of the season. 

Being a forward isn't just about scoring goals. What's the point of scoring 15 goals if because of lack of effort in other parts of the game, like pressing, leads to the opposition scoring twice as many...

31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Ain't that the truth. 

Yep.

I normally don’t post stuff like this but I would much rather see Janneh & Semenyo up top on Sunday at least giving it their best & possibly failing, than those 2 phoning it in yet again.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

I normally don’t post stuff like this but I would much rather see Janneh & Semenyo up top on Sunday at least giving it their best & possibly failing, than those 2 phoning it in yet again.

I'm torn between that and keeping our unexposed youngsters as far away as possible from this season's sh!t show.

40 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'm torn between that and keeping our unexposed youngsters as far away as possible from this season's sh!t show.

I know, been thinking that myself but the alternative is watching one (or both) of those two ******* just take the piss again.

If Rotherham lose on Saturday to Barnsley we are as close to safety as it is possible to be, although there are those who are out of contract who might still offer us something so could face Luton, Diedhiou doesn’t come into that category & nor does Wells, even though he has one that lasts until 2023..

Not related to holding the ball up as per original post, but "getting the basics right" reminded me of the Wycombe short corner when we only had one player out by the corner flag and were exposed yet again.  I have never coached a team in my life, but surely even for an amateur pub team, that is inexcusable.

10 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

As much as Diedhiou can't trap a ball, isn't it also a failure of all the coaches and managers he has worked under? I would literally have had him practicing his control all week every week until he could do it.

Or you’ve got to ask why the man himself hasn’t identified it as a weakness in his game and decided to work on it HIMSELF.. 

There comes a time when you cannot keep blaming others, these are highly paid professional individuals who need to take responsibility.

11 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

As much as Diedhiou can't trap a ball, isn't it also a failure of all the coaches and managers he has worked under? I would literally have had him practicing his control all week every week until he could do it.

The player will be practising control every week. The fundamentals should have been formed as a child and youth. We never learn faster than we do as children and this includes creating neuroplasticity, muscle memory which for a footballer will be thousands of hours of practice as a kid to youth. The ability to learn skill diminishes as humans get older. A great coach like Arsener Wenger is adamant the technical base should be formed by 14.  It does not mean a individual will not improve technically, they improve slower with less time as pros v other forms of training x training and match recovery. 

Bristol City bought an adult with a very limited technical base. The player therefore has to be tactically limited, and the player is. 

Movement and internalising patterns of play can be taught to adults. It will be a constant part of training. Diedhiou movement is questionable. He will still have a poor technical base if he did take on board what multiple coaches and Managers attempted to coach into him.

Out of possession he is dreadful. He was dreadful years ago. And Bristol City allowing him to be dreadful, rewarding dreadful developed a player who is a passenger out of possession. 

His effort now is no surprise. Effort the mental and physical is a skill. A skill the player does not have in abundance. His mental and physical effort has been regressing. 

Piece this to together and the appraisal of this players coachability is? The failure is he has been tolerated. Encouraged and rewarded to be as limited as he is. 

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The player will be practising control every week. The fundamentals should have been formed as a child and youth. We never learn faster than we do as children and this includes creating neuroplasticity, muscle memory which for a footballer will be thousands of hours as a kid to youth. The ability to learn skill diminishes as humans get older. A great coach like Arsener Wenger is adamant the tecxhnical base should be formed by 14.  It does not mean a individual will not improve, they improve slower. 

Bristol City bought an adult with a very limited technical base. The player therefore has to be tactically limited, and the player is. 

Movement and internalising patterns of play can be taught to adults. It will be a constant part of training. Diedhiou movement is questionable. He will still have a poor technical base if he did take on board what multiple coaches and Managers attempted to coach into him.

Out of possession he is dreadful. He was dreadful years ago. And Bristol City allowing him to be dreadful, rewarding dreadful by playing developed a player who is a passenger out of possession. 

His effort now is no surprise. Effort the mental and physical is a skill. A skill the player does not have in abundance. His mental and physical effort has been regressing. 

Piece this to together and the appraisal of this players coachability is? The failure is he has been tolerated. Encouraged and rewarded to be as limited as he is. 

Nice technical explanation.

For me, when you couple that lovely stuff above with the fact that he is the focal point of our “attack” or at least the focal point of many of our balls out of defence is it any wonder we are struggling?

Im a great believer in two things.

1. You don’t have to play with a target man

2. A target man doesn’t have to be big / tall

12 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

And if you did??...the big soft melt would probably start crying...

I am use to reading  some b*ll*cks on OTIB but this thread takes the biscuit Famara Diedhiouis is not Levandoski but to say as some have said that he can't do the basics is frankly laughable.

The guy was born in Senegal his footballing ability took him to France and then to us, he plays along side Sadio Mane for the national team.

Yet the arm chair experts who frequent this board seem to have the knives out citing a lack of application and ability.

The team as a whole  is poor and lacking confidence and whist FD may leave, I consider the vilification unfair and wide of the mark.

Bristol City boss 'relaxed' about Famara Diedhiou situation despite  Middlesbrough 'interest' - Teesside Live

The extraordinary aspect is not only did we pay 5 mill for him, and also have offered him a maga bucks contract..................but Fam will now sign a oontract with another club for more than i will probably earn in the next 20 years............isn't life pheckin grand  ??

2 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I am use to reading  some b*ll*cks on OTIB but this thread takes the biscuit Famara Diedhiouis is not Levandoski but to say as some have said that he can't do the basics is frankly laughable.

The guy was born in Senegal his footballing ability took him to France and then to us, he plays along side Sadio Mane for the national team.

Yet the arm chair experts who frequent this board seem to have the knives out citing a lack of application and ability.

The team as a whole  is poor and lacking confidence and whist FD may leave, I consider the vilification unfair and wide of the mark.

Bristol City boss 'relaxed' about Famara Diedhiou situation despite  Middlesbrough 'interest' - Teesside Live

The obvious reason than Fam has been going through the motions and not giving a S^^t is because he does'nt want to suffer an injury which would jeopardise his imminent gravy train.   On his day when fully motivated he is pretty good striker despite his questionable (At Times) first touch. 

Archived