IGNORED

Can you trap a medicine ball? and hold the ball up the pitch

where's the joy

4 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I am use to reading  some b*ll*cks on OTIB but this thread takes the biscuit Famara Diedhiouis is not Levandoski but to say as some have said that he can't do the basics is frankly laughable.

The guy was born in Senegal his footballing ability took him to France and then to us, he plays along side Sadio Mane for the national team.

Yet the arm chair experts who frequent this board seem to have the knives out citing a lack of application and ability.

The team as a whole  is poor and lacking confidence and whist FD may leave, I consider the vilification unfair and wide of the mark.

Bristol City boss 'relaxed' about Famara Diedhiou situation despite  Middlesbrough 'interest' - Teesside Live

For me it’s all about the bold words above.

I posted yesterday I don’t think he’s a bad player.

But how much effort do you think he’s putting in?  Enough?

He’s conned a lot of fans with the contract signing emojis, the Knowle stuff, the loving Bristol City stuff and beating his chest in front of the South Stand (last season).

His application is a disgrace, and an awful example to the rest of the squad, young and old.

21 hours ago, where's the joy said:

If you can trap a medicine ball then maybe we will ask you to stay for next season.

If you can't then please leave.

Try as I might I can see no excuses or reasons to explain Wells' lack of ability when attempting to control a ball.

Palmer doesn't have the ability to take less than 3 touches, Fam wear's Toblerone boots. Hunt has a touch like a pin ball machine.

The list goes on and on

Please big Nige pick some forwards from the youngsters who can hold the ball up and help us maintain possession.

Playing with your back to the goal is still very important and without Chris Martin's 'wardrobe' approach we have looked lost.

Wilbrahamovic, Glynn Riley, Joe Jordan all could 'hold the ball up'. we need another one sharpish

I think if you forced them to come back every afternoon and Sundays until they could trap the ball it would soon improve.

39 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I am use to reading  some b*ll*cks on OTIB but this thread takes the biscuit Famara Diedhiouis is not Levandoski but to say as some have said that he can't do the basics is frankly laughable.

The guy was born in Senegal his footballing ability took him to France and then to us, he plays along side Sadio Mane for the national team.

Yet the arm chair experts who frequent this board seem to have the knives out citing a lack of application and ability.

The team as a whole  is poor and lacking confidence and whist FD may leave, I consider the vilification unfair and wide of the mark.

Bristol City boss 'relaxed' about Famara Diedhiou situation despite  Middlesbrough 'interest' - Teesside Live

Can you list his strengths . Because I can’t . Just one aspect that I find incredible is his first touch. I played with players in local football that had a better first touch than him & had a pretty decent first touch myself. Not to mention everything talked about on here. He’s not being scapegoated , I’ve never rated him in any aspect of his game . I couldn’t believe we paid over £5m for Him . Another waste of money under Ashton. 

5 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Can you list his strengths . Because I can’t . Just one aspect that I find incredible is his first touch. I played with players in local football that had a better first touch than him & had a pretty decent first touch myself. Not to mention everything talked about on here. He’s not being scapegoated , I’ve never rated him in any aspect of his game . I couldn’t believe we paid over £5m for Him . Another waste of money under Ashton. 

Hes scored 50 goals for us - there has been plenty to like about the guy but he has (wrongly) given up over last few months which is disappointing. You don't score 50 championship goals without being a good player. Quite frankly him giving up hasn't made any difference to our season overall as even if he was still scoring it wouldn't help us be anywhere near the PO's.

5 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Hes scored 50 goals for us - there has been plenty to like about the guy but he has (wrongly) given up over last few months which is disappointing. You don't score 50 championship goals without being a good player. Quite frankly him giving up hasn't made any difference to our season overall as even if he was still scoring it wouldn't help us be anywhere near the PO's.

In how many appearances Alex . How many times have we said we don’t create anything , fans blame the midfield. Have you ever wondered why midfields don’t run off him during games? It’s because they don’t trust him to make the right run or hold the ball up consistently to be confident to make runs off him . How many times have we said. Great team goal but couldn’t of happened unless fam made that unselfish run to take the defender away. 
He’s a defenders dream to play against . He doesn’t run in behind , he doesn’t drag them across the pitch , he doesn’t drag them out of position. The best we had in recent times for that was Matty taylor. Thing is you need a intelligent player to exploit the space which fam couldn’t . In footballing intelligence , let’s just say he’s not the brightest . 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

In how many appearances Alex . How many times have we said we don’t create anything , fans blame the midfield. Have you ever wondered why midfields don’t run off him during games? It’s because they don’t trust him to make the right run or hold the ball up consistently to be confident to make runs off him . How many times have we said. Great team goal but couldn’t of happened unless fam made that unselfish run to take the defender away. 
He’s a defenders dream to play against . He doesn’t run in behind , he doesn’t drag them across the pitch , he doesn’t drag them out of position. The best we had in recent times for that was Matty taylor. Thing is you need a intelligent player to exploit the space which fam couldn’t . In footballing intelligence , let’s just say he’s not the brightest . 

Exactly that imho.

I thought NP might have got through to him, when we started seeing him attacking balls from side on runs....albeit it lasted one half.

His head is elsewhere.  We would be no worse off with Conway, Britton (or Bell prior to injury) up there.

As for defensive headers, what an indictment of a striker.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

He has a record of scoring 1 in 3 which is reasonable. 

We don’t create much because we’ve had a shit midfield for a long time. At home he often played upfront alone with aimless long punts played to him. Away he was great when we could play on the break. If he was a defenders dream he wouldn’t have scored 50 goals. Yes we all know he’s been shit last few months (like the whole squad) but to score 1 in 3 at this level is a reasonable return. Certainly not shit. And to compare him to matty Taylor who for the most part was poor and is back in the league he is suited to is an unfair comparison. Taylor will never score 50 goals at this level.

I am surprised by the outing of Fam in this thread as its Wells who I think is even worse, and sadly he is still in contract. To play with two strikers neither of whom can control the ball means the upfield pass is back on Kalas's head in no time. I was really looking forward to seeing Sam Bell make his debut, but to only last 15 minutes is cruel on him; and possibly even worse for big Nige as he was giving him a go, and he might just have found a solution in the youngster.

The only thing I admire about Wells is that he has got a cathedral named after him

41 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

I am surprised by the outing of Fam in this thread as its Wells who I think is even worse, and sadly he is still in contract. To play with two strikers neither of whom can control the ball means the upfield pass is back on Kalas's head in no time. I was really looking forward to seeing Sam Bell make his debut, but to only last 15 minutes is cruel on him; and possibly even worse for big Nige as he was giving him a go, and he might just have found a solution in the youngster.

The only thing I admire about Wells is that he has got a cathedral named after him

We play with two strikers, one of whom has been asked to play LW.

Most of us that are critical of Fam, are critical because we see lack of effort.  Wen he puts his mind to it, he’s a decent striker at this level.  He has technical weaknesses, but that’s fine if you add application to it.

Wells generally puts effort in, but he’s not been in good form, some of that because he’s playing out of position (he admitted he’s never played anywhere other than striker).  But he is a sulky character (I might be too if I had to play out of position) so that is held against him.

On 23/04/2021 at 09:26, Davefevs said:

I posted yesterday I don’t think he’s a bad player.

But how much effort do you think he’s putting in?  Enough?

His application is a disgrace, and an awful example to the rest of the squad, young and old.

I would like to think that NP has enough about him to draw the same  conclusion but he hasn't, Famara still features in the match day squad, he is not exiled to train by himself

Effort and application are a pre requisite for any footballer and if as you say FD is going through the motions and yet still being picked one would have to question NP's managerial ability -which I don't.

I don't pretend to know what is wrong at our club but just feel the need to offer some balance to the FD conundrum, he appears to be the devil incarnate in some people's eyes and singularly  responsible for our current sorry state which i feel is unnecessary. 

On 22/04/2021 at 13:53, maxjak said:

Having just watched the highlights......I don't believe Fam could trap an aspirin, let alone a medicine ball.  His appalling ball skills allowed a chance for Akinfenwa to happen ,  and while i am at it, Sessognon was sooooooo pheckin weak for the headed equaliser, and I had to laugh/cry at Palmer's reaction to finding his ineptitude had created the penalty?   The Astonishment and disbelief as he reacted to the penalty award makes me wonder if he is all there?, or maybe he was just tired after his 8 minute run out?

What staggered me is that we had been our own victim of a handball incident in the match only days before. Wasn’t this talked about in debrief/training? To do almost exactly the same was astonishing. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We play with two strikers, one of whom has been asked to play LW.

Most of us that are critical of Fam, are critical because we see lack of effort.  Wen he puts his mind to it, he’s a decent striker at this level.  He has technical weaknesses, but that’s fine if you add application to it.

Wells generally puts effort in, but he’s not been in good form, some of that because he’s playing out of position (he admitted he’s never played anywhere other than striker).  But he is a sulky character (I might be too if I had to play out of position) so that is held against him.

I think Diedhiou has largely had a pass due to his defensive contribution. Take that out of his game and is he worthy of a strikers slot alone?

4 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I would like to think that NP has enough about him to draw the same  conclusion but he hasn't, Famara still features in the match day squad, he is not exiled to train by himself

Effort and application are a pre requisite for any footballer and if as you say FD is going through the motions and yet still being picked one would have to question NP's managerial ability -which I don't.

I don't pretend to know what is wrong at our club but just feel the need to offer some balance to the FD conundrum, he appears to be the devil incarnate in some people's eyes and singularly  responsible for our current sorry state which i feel is unnecessary. 

Not devil incarnate for me, but playing with a Champ match without all 11 giving 100% is making it difficult / impossible.

I don’t know why NP is still picking him.  Can only assume it’s because he doesn’t want to risk the kids.

I though v Stoke when he started Wells and Bell he’d dispensed with Fam, but the Bakinson as a 10 didn’t work when Bell went off injured.  But I hope that was a sign that he prefers a more energetic front pairing.

Maybe tomorrow we see the cull?

On 22/04/2021 at 11:47, where's the joy said:

If you can trap a medicine ball then maybe we will ask you to stay for next season.

If you can't then please leave.

Try as I might I can see no excuses or reasons to explain Wells' lack of ability when attempting to control a ball.

Palmer doesn't have the ability to take less than 3 touches, Fam wear's Toblerone boots. Hunt has a touch like a pin ball machine.

The list goes on and on

Please big Nige pick some forwards from the youngsters who can hold the ball up and help us maintain possession.

Playing with your back to the goal is still very important and without Chris Martin's 'wardrobe' approach we have looked lost.

Wilbrahamovic, Glynn Riley, Joe Jordan all could 'hold the ball up'. we need another one sharpish

wells could not trap a bag of cement

On 22/04/2021 at 13:25, Davefevs said:

Very true.  When one of my mates signed for Coventry, one of the first things he noticed was the step up in passing, both tempo and accuracy, and how the receiver wanted the pass onto a specific foot, etc.  The timing of the pass is crucial too, either to avoid contact from your marker, or engage your marker so you can roll them.  That can be both passer and receivers fault.  Look at how many times Diedhiou is off balance upon receipt.  Some of that is him being on his heels, some of it is delaying of the pass.

90% of the time, his body positioning is wrong and he doesn't have the intelligence to recognise or correct it.

He should try looking at Massengo or Nagy who, 90% of the time, have it spot on.

Its why the ball bounces off of him most of the time.

On 23/04/2021 at 22:59, Alex_BCFC said:

He has a record of scoring 1 in 3 which is reasonable. 

We don’t create much because we’ve had a shit midfield for a long time. At home he often played upfront alone with aimless long punts played to him. Away he was great when we could play on the break. If he was a defenders dream he wouldn’t have scored 50 goals. Yes we all know he’s been shit last few months (like the whole squad) but to score 1 in 3 at this level is a reasonable return. Certainly not shit. And to compare him to matty Taylor who for the most part was poor and is back in the league he is suited to is an unfair comparison. Taylor will never score 50 goals at this level.

You just concentrate on goals. There’s so much more to a strikers game than that . Winds me up when people don’t understand this. Matty taylor has ten times the football intellect than fam. Do you actually watch fam off the ball ? 

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You just concentrate on goals. There’s so much more to a strikers game than that . Winds me up when people don’t understand this. Matty taylor has ten times the football intellect than fam. Do you actually watch fam off the ball ? 

Yep, rarely (never?j makes a run for the benefit of others too.

Shit midfield or midfield lacking in confidence that if they make a run, or pass that they’ll see the ball back?

42 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

But what does the team lose? A question v bigger picture.

This was 2018. The Diedhiou problem - Football Chat - One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums (otib.co.uk)

His technical limitations limit tactical flexibility. His physical limitations limit tactical flexibility. Diedhious goals can yield less points.

The players mindset. He is lazy. And has been for seasons. That has an impact on the teams football and will on the minds of his team mates. 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

But what does the team lose? A question v bigger picture.

This was 2018. The Diedhiou problem - Football Chat - One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums (otib.co.uk)

His technical limitations limit tactical flexibility. His physical limitations limit tactical flexibility. Diedhious goals can yield less points.

The players mindset. He is lazy. And has been for seasons. That has an impact on the teams football and will on the minds of his team mates. 

Remember that thread....remember Londoner / Lez.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Remember that thread....remember Londoner / Lez.

I remember it because I contributed to it but the opening poster was righter (!) than right. Bristol City's football regressed and never reached a former height again. 

Another topical one from late 2018. Famara Diedhiou and the fundamental lack of desire - Football Chat - One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums (otib.co.uk)

The criticism of this player has been consistent. 

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I remember it because I contributed to it but the opening poster was righter (!) than right. Bristol City's football regressed and never reached a former height again. 

Another topical one from late 2018. Famara Diedhiou and the fundamental lack of desire - Football Chat - One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums (otib.co.uk)

The criticism of this player has been consistent. 

I’m sure I did one “how do you solve a problem like Famara” but can’t find it.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree, although he didn’t score enough. Taylor’s movement and his ways of creating space for others was so good. We miss a striker like that

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t just concentrate on goals - Fammy is pretty useful off the ball. Especially defensively.

Again - Taylor is a league one player for a reason and pretty much all his goals are at that level. Whereas Fammy is a championship player. No debate really when the facts are considered. 

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I don’t just concentrate on goals - Fammy is pretty useful off the ball. Especially defensively.

Again - Taylor is a league one player for a reason and pretty much all his goals are at that level. Whereas Fammy is a championship player. No debate really when the facts are considered. 

Very much a debate. The fact you actually mention his defensive ability is laughable. He’s not in the side for that. Just stating taylor is league is also skirting over the issue . There may be many reasons why Matty is league 1 but in football intelligence, movement, the ability to drag defenders out of position, then there’s no comparison . Fam offers nothing off the ball. 

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He marks a zone adeptly. So do other players.

He does not  mark 1v1 adeptly. His screening from the front is poor. His pressing poor. Its pretty not useful.

Archived