IGNORED

Big news on the OS

Peter1450

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Who makes up these days?!

Until Americans stop driving around cars the size of bungalows and china cut emissions then washing at 30 rather than 40 isn't going to change a lot sadly.

Global population is the elephant in the room. 1950 = 2.5 Billion, 2020 =7.8 Billion.

Pledgeball may be good intentioned but in reality it’s crackpot. How will anyone know if the pledges made are actually actioned? Imagine if Rovers took park. They would have pledges from their 200k plus fan base that would save the world by themselves 

56 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Global population is the elephant in the room. 1950 = 2.5 Billion, 2020 =7.8 Billion.

...and until environmentalists, politicians and religions accept the world hasn’t the carrying capacity to meet the needs of the population we shall forever be re-arranging the deckchairs on The Titanic. 

59 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Who makes up these days?!

Until Americans stop driving around cars the size of bungalows and china cut emissions then washing at 30 rather than 40 isn't going to change a lot sadly.

Er you might want to check what China are doing regards climate change. It's bolder planning than any other country on the planet. And the Biden administration has also launched a load of initiatives to deal with it. 

55 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Will be in decline within the next few decades though, and already is declining in many countries. We just happened to have lived through a period of intense population growth. 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Er you might want to check what China are doing regards climate change. It's bolder planning than any other country on the planet. And the Biden administration has also launched a load of initiatives to deal with it. 

Will be in decline within the next few decades though, and already is declining in many countries. We just happened to have lived through a period of intense population growth. 

... but the current population levels and anywhere remotely resembling it are way, way over what the planet can sustain. That’s before the ‘third world’ peoples start demanding the kind of life styles - food, housing and plot size, water usage  etc- we currently enjoy.

Just take food, industrial agriculture dependent on high input chemicals, mono-cultures, cruel, high density and very dangerous animal ‘husbandry’ just can’t be sustained.

Forget climate change, destruction of biodiversity and loss of habitat is a far bigger issue. 

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well good because those two are the two highest by a distance.

10 minutes ago, Super said:

I have no idea what degree i wash my clothes?

It's quite easy to check......there's a dial on the machine with numbers on it that equates to temperatures, i could send u an instructional app.  Oh No, scrub that, if u don't know how temperatures work, u probably don't know phone numbers.?  ??  

Just now, maxjak said:

It's quite easy to check......there's a dial on the machine with numbers on it that equates to temperatures, i could send u an instructional app.  Oh No, scrub that, if u don't know how temperatures work, u probably don't know phone numbers.?  ??  

I just press start and it works!

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

... but the current population levels and anywhere remotely resembling it are way, way over what the planet can sustain. That’s before the ‘third world’ peoples start demanding the kind of life styles - food, housing and plot size, water usage  etc- we currently enjoy.

Just take food, industrial agriculture dependent on high input chemicals, mono-cultures, cruel, high density and very dangerous animal ‘husbandry’ just can’t be sustained.

Forget climate change, destruction of biodiversity and loss of habitat is a far bigger issue. 

You obviously understand the problems but I'm more optimistic than you on the solutions, but we obviously need to act now. Quite a few of the problems you highlight may be solved by the continuing trend of the last few hundred years of people moving from rural areas to cities. 

Urban areas can, and must, become self-sufficient/sustainable to give ourselves a chance. 

If the WHO predictions are correct then in 100 years time people on OTIB will be discussing the problem of their not being enough young people on the planet! 

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Can I ask how you know that? I’m just curious! 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You obviously understand the problems but I'm more optimistic than you on the solutions, but we obviously need to act now. Quite a few of the problems you highlight may be solved by the continuing trend of the last few hundred years of people moving from rural areas to cities. 

Urban areas can, and must, become self-sufficient/sustainable to give ourselves a chance. 

If the WHO predictions are correct then in 100 years time people on OTIB will be discussing the problem of their not being enough young people on the planet! 

Doubt it. Robots will be in control then.

Visited a massive factory about 10 years ago, about 5 humans on the 30 ha site, the entire business was fully automated with robots. Very few jobs won’t be automated just think of the recent advancement in driverless vehicles. 

If we accelerate our technological advancements in dealing with over-population we may just avoid the worst-case scenario. We’re very close to precipice though as The Virus has demonstrated. 

If only we’d invested in player technology than grass measuring devices eh! 

18 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Can I ask how you know that? I’m just curious! 

The rate of population growth has been in decline steadily for almost 50 years now I think. The UN thinks it'll become relatively stable in the next 100 years or so once Africa has had a bit of a boom, and some others reckon it'll increase then decrease a bit in the middle of this century.

Personally while population is of course a huge contributor to climate change I don't think the problem is insurmountable when tackled with technology - the real problem is countries are reluctant to do so! There is of course always going to be some upper limit though.

Archived