IGNORED

So who’s going to renew or buy a new season ticket

Coombsy

Anyone know how sales have gone or can tell by looking at the seat map now people who haven’t renewed seats are available?

I noticed about 5 around me hadn’t renewed, though a few hours later they had all gone to people moving seats I presume.

I moved mine a few seats along the row for better leg room, 56 calls to get in the queue then 55 minutes in the queue. Then 30 seconds to do the seat move, others must be talking for ages once through, goodness know why! 

Just had a look at how many seats are available in our block - S23 and there are still 163 seats available. I think there were less than 50 at this time before the 19/20 season! As we were trying to an extra seat, but nothing near us.

On 22/04/2021 at 15:52, Berkshire Red said:

I've decided not to renew. Got a season ticket while I lived in Southville. Have now moved to BOA and given the last year I'd rather keep weekends free to see family and friends.

Given performances over the last 2 years I'm perfectly happy only going to a handful of home games when it suits and not feeling tied in to going.

Will return to my goal of completing the 92 and try tick a few more away grounds off for a nice weekend away. Atmosphere tends to be less toxic at away games and always makes a good day out.

I hope many more have realised how unimportant bristol city are in the grand scheme of life and how little we really matter to the club as fans nowadays and chose to spend the time and money more wisely 

I was very close to not doing so, as like you - the commute from Berkshire adds to the cost/time issue. For home games, I need to leave home no later than 11:30am to get to AG and parked etc, and if I get out of Bristol without too much traffic, I tend to get home around 7:30pm. 

I've eventually purchased (Pearson signing was a huge factor), but moving forward, my habits will change and I will no longer feel as determined to make every home game.

I've barely watched and paid for RobinsTV this year, which indicates to me that my priorities are indeed changing. 

Will always support the club, but this season feels very much like last chance saloon for me. The club has to start to act and treat me like a fan, and not a customer. Saying it in structured Press Releases is not enough, I want to see it throughout the club's behaviour. 

On 22/04/2021 at 15:52, Berkshire Red said:

I've decided not to renew. Got a season ticket while I lived in Southville. Have now moved to BOA and given the last year I'd rather keep weekends free to see family and friends.

Given performances over the last 2 years I'm perfectly happy only going to a handful of home games when it suits and not feeling tied in to going.

Will return to my goal of completing the 92 and try tick a few more away grounds off for a nice weekend away. Atmosphere tends to be less toxic at away games and always makes a good day out.

I hope many more have realised how unimportant bristol city are in the grand scheme of life and how little we really matter to the club as fans nowadays and chose to spend the time and money more wisely 

So because you have decided to prioritise other matters (no problem with that, your prerogative) YOU HOPE that MANY MORE people do the same and spend the money more wisely............and four people actually liked that post. Bristol City FC is very important to some people's mental health even if it isn't to yours. If everyone followed your lead as YOU HOPE you won't have any occasional games or away games to travel to. I can understand anyone who feels that time with family is more important or even that they just need a break because the football has been plain shite for years now but I don't get this trying to convince others argument...........obviously there are a few people (at least four) people out there that do.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You obviously haven’t got a clue about the true hardships many people have been through over the last 14 months ... 

So very true . I have been extremely lucky my employee has paid me full pay whilst shielding for the most of the last year. Which has enabled me to renew me and my sons season tickets. Really feel for the people who have struggled with employment. Tough times

13 hours ago, Old Rascal said:

Just had a look at how many seats are available in our block - S23 and there are still 163 seats available. I think there were less than 50 at this time before the 19/20 season! As we were trying to an extra seat, but nothing near us.

Had a look at my block just now, Dolman E30, and 559 seats are still available. 

645 available in E34 - very few seats taken there - and a quick count up of all the blocks in the Dolman shows 3,512 not yet sold.

No idea how that compares with previous years at this stage, but with a capacity of around 6.2k in the Dolman that's less than half sold.

43 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Just come off the phone to the club - the girl I spoke to said they've sold just over 10,000 as of today, 

The club will be very disappointed with that imo. 

I'd say that the maximum we'll sell in that case with a good summer of recruitment is probably not going to be much more than 12,000.

So that will probably see us with an average attendance (providing away fans can attend) of 15-16k a week. 

Circa 20% down on the past few seasons (pre-COVID). 

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You obviously haven’t got a clue about the true hardships many people have been through over the last 14 months ... 

Well said.

I've bought two S/Ts this year. Actually increased my investment in watching live football. :facepalm: :blink:

BUT I would never judge any supporter who doesn't do likewise.

There are a vast host of reasons why people cannot make that commitment, including economic hardship, illness, work and personal circumstances even (and let's face it many of us have felt this) falling a bit out of love with the sport.

You can still be a fan and care about the club without owning an S/T.

I'm lucky enough to have the time and resources to travel to watch City. Others aren't. I don't judge.

(Mind you, if next season plays out like this one, perhaps it'll be me feeling those who aren't watching are the lucky ones! :laughcont: )

11 minutes ago, dREDful said:

I'd say that the maximum we'll sell in that case with a good summer of recruitment is probably not going to be much more than 12,000.

So that will probably see us with an average attendance (providing away fans can attend) of 15-16k a week. 

I'd have thought the club should have expected such numbers - perhaps they are even relieved if it really is 10k at this stage.

Apart from the uncertainty of covid, many fans are jaded by not only such a high number of poor home performances for the last 3 years, but are still reeling from the bemusing appointments of both LJ and DH.

Pearson is - at long last - a great appointment, imo, about the best we could hope for to rally the fans, but my impression is disenchantment with BCFC runs deep at the moment and many fans will want proof there will be fully committed footballers and at least some exciting football to be seen at AG before being tempted back to their old habit.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'd have thought the club should have expected such numbers - perhaps they are even relieved if it really is 10k at this stage.

Apart from the uncertainty of covid, many fans are jaded by not only such a high number of poor home performances for the last 3 years, but are still reeling from the bemusing appointments of both LJ and DH.

Pearson is - at long last - a great appointment, imo, about the best we could hope for to rally the fans, but my impression is disenchantment with BCFC runs deep at the moment and many fans will want proof there will be fully committed footballers and at least some exciting football to be seen at AG before being tempted back to their old habit.

Me too, however we are talking about people that thought Holden was the right appointment a year ago, so I wouldn't give them too much credit on where they feel fan opinion lies. 

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

And there must be a sizeable number that have got used to it being streamed live and being able to watch it having a few beers with a few of their pals inbetween the various lockdowns. Obviously RobinsTV won't be broadcast domestically for Saturday 3pm games, there's always a way (so I'm told) to watch it live. 

That said, I think 10,000 is a decent number given the uncertainties and hardships of these times 

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Spot on.

What people forget is that going back some time ago, the choice of alternatives of what to spend your money on/do were far less.

With live sports so accessible, coupled with asking people to pay a sizeable premium to watch poor football - fans are not renewing by default like previous years.  

Added in, the last 2 years has shown the club in demonstrating disdain to a large percentage of fans on a consistent basis.

Based on those elements above, 10k is better than I would have predicted. 

7 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

And there must be a sizeable number that have got used to it being streamed live and being able to watch it having a few beers with a few of their pals inbetween the various lockdowns. Obviously RobinsTV won't be broadcast domestically for Saturday 3pm games, there's always a way (so I'm told) to watch it live. 

That said, I think 10,000 is a decent number given the uncertainties and hardships of these times 

I agree Reg.

I think that's a solid base to start rebuilding the club's finances on.

I think we'll get a few thousand more before the start of the season as well.

The pandemic has hit people hard. I've been more lucky than most, as my wife and i are both public sector workers. 

Still it's easy to get out of the habit of going to games + people are reassessing their financial priorities.

City will probably have gone back a few seasons in terms of average attendance at games. But this is probably the same at every football club below the PL.

We will rebuild, and get our average up above the 20k again, but it'll take time; and be of course dependant on how the team reset goes.

7 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

So very true . I have been extremely lucky my employee has paid me full pay whilst shielding for the most of the last year. Which has enabled me to renew me and my sons season tickets. Really feel for the people who have struggled with employment. Tough times

You are indeed extremely lucky if your employee has paid you full pay :)
Let's hope City can serve us all up something much better next season.

1 minute ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Spot on.

What people forget is that going back some time ago, the choice of alternatives of what to spend your money on/do were far less.

With live sports so accessible, coupled with asking people to pay a sizeable premium to watch poor football - fans are not renewing by default like previous years.  

Added in, the last 2 years has shown the club in demonstrating disdain to a large percentage of fans on a consistent basis.

Based on those elements above, 10k is better than I would have predicted. 

Yep, looking at the thousands of seats still available in the more than half empty Dolman stand I'm very surprised at the club reporting 10k sales. A mass exodus to other areas it would appear.

Personally being at a live match is 10x better than watching it on TV, but of course that's mainly down to the atmosphere created by us, the fans. Years of depressing football leads to a frustrated, depressed, and muted crowd, and when that shared anticipation and excitement has been dissipated so has most of the fun of being there.

With the way we have finished the season I think to be at 10k is pretty decent. It might take a couple of seasons to mirror the crowds we were getting over the last couple of seasons. Not just due to on the pitch issues but outside of football, as mentioned has given hardship to alot of people. 

I wonder what the situation is with other clubs in our league. Surely it will be down all over the place apart from maybe clubs like Barnsley if they stay down. 

I really wasn't going to renew but I got thinking what else am I going to do on a Saturday in Winter, so today I have once again renewed. 

I actually bought a Rugby ticket as well so increasing my investment into Bristol Sport.

52 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, looking at the thousands of seats still available in the more than half empty Dolman stand I'm very surprised at the club reporting 10k sales. A mass exodus to other areas it would appear.

Personally being at a live match is 10x better than watching it on TV, but of course that's mainly down to the atmosphere created by us, the fans. Years of depressing football leads to a frustrated, depressed, and muted crowd, and when that shared anticipation and excitement has been dissipated so has most of the fun of being there.

Looks like there’s about 130 odd in the ‘singing’ section. This was always sold out before. Presume some have moved elsewhere, or maybe they’ve not renewed at all? 

I've been attending roughly 10 home games and 2 away games a season for the past 10 to 15 years or so.  Always on my tod, although in the last year or two pre-covid my (now 8 year old) son has been coming along too.  The membership option was therefore a very good one for me/him - it's a shame they aren't doing those anymore.  He's now of an age where he's obsessed with all things City, so tomorrow morning I shall be buying his and my first ever season cards and to say we're both excited about it is an understatement!  

COYR!

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Just come off the phone to the club - the girl I spoke to said they've sold just over 10,000 as of today, 

While I'm not surprised at a drop off, I think that's not bad considering the football we've had to watch and people getting used to not going.
I was a little disappointed, but again not surprised, they didn't drop the price for renewals considering everything. With luck there will be exciting signings to tempt more in. In fact I think the club would be short sighted not to extend the price freeze into the summer to allow for some people who may improve their circumstances.

1 hour ago, ark_at_ee_mind said:

I've been attending roughly 10 home games and 2 away games a season for the past 10 to 15 years or so.  Always on my tod, although in the last year or two pre-covid my (now 8 year old) son has been coming along too.  The membership option was therefore a very good one for me/him - it's a shame they aren't doing those anymore.  He's now of an age where he's obsessed with all things City, so tomorrow morning I shall be buying his and my first ever season cards and to say we're both excited about it is an understatement!  

COYR!

When I was on hold phoning up to move my seat yesterday.........for nearly an hour, one of the messages on repeat, must have heard it 200 times, was a promotion for membership, so although they’re not on sale yet I reckon they will be.

Not that I’m trying to put you off getting season cards. 

4 hours ago, dREDful said:

I think numbers will be down across the board anyway because of Covid and as others have said, with us, shite football combined with getting used to not going. Had we dumped Pearson and made an Appleton or even Robins type appointment we wouldn’t have hit 10k plus imo. Wouldn’t be surprised if a few wait and see then consider a half season ticket if it’s going alright.

4 hours ago, dREDful said:

At what point did sales stop last year? They haven’t sold any extra ones yet because they haven’t got to that stage yet 

Whilst I would expect numbers to be down going in to the new season, a lot of people are probably hedging their bets as, with things as they are, there are no guarantees you will be allowed back in.

Yes, all data suggests things will be fine,  it what if they say 65% capacity, or proof of a vaccination required and you take kids with you?

Add to the factory folk won't have been on holiday as well and the situation isn't that clear cut.

Archived