IGNORED

It's the kids I feel sorry for.

redysteadygo

Probably not what you were thinking but now that things are easing and the weather's turning spare a thought for the kids. In my day, back in the 50s, I know..., we would spend as many hours as we possibly could playing football in the park. When it came to sides there was always the shout " bags I Atyeo" and then try to emulate "Big John" with our goal scoring feats.

What have the poor souls got now, forgetting the plastics,  how many would be clamouring to get out the shout "bags I Wells or Diedhiou"

8 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Probably not what you were thinking but now that things are easing and the weather's turning spare a thought for the kids. In my day, back in the 50s, I know..., we would spend as many hours as we possibly could playing football in the park. When it came to sides there was always the shout " bags I Atyeo" and then try to emulate "Big John" with our goal scoring feats.

What have the poor souls got now, forgetting the plastics,  how many would be clamouring to get out the shout "bags I Wells or Diedhiou"

Most kids these days are indoors playing x-box or some such.

If you could drag them to the park to play football, they're more likely to say "Bags I Walsh" and sit on their ass all afternoon.

9 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Bags-I-.......Diedhiou, I fancy a holiday.

9 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

........................as the ball gets shanked three gardens away, straight through the open patio doors and flattening the little hamster who was let out of his cage for 10 minutes.

10 minutes ago, glynriley said:

If you could drag them to the park to play football, they're more likely to say "Bags I Walsh" and sit on their ass all afternoon.

And wait for thousands of pounds to land in their lap.

17 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

"Bags I Junior Bent", shank the ball out of play from a cross then carry on running off the field and onto the car park.

21 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

"Bags I Jody Morris"

I won't take any part in the game, but I can arrange the piss up afterwards. 

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

"Bags I Junior Bent", shank the ball out of play from a cross then carry on running off the field and onto the car park.

But we never, ever thought that he was taking the piss out of us, did we?

He was limited but fast as **** & a brave sort, always remember that forearm smash he got at Oxford, but when he was back he still gave it all he had.

His finishing was crap but looking at Agostino’s goals it was interesting that a fair few came from a Junior cross..

Compare & contrast with now.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He was limited but fast as **** & a brave sort, always remember that forearm smash he got at Oxford, but when he was back he still gave it all he had.

His finishing was crap but looking at Agostino’s goals it was interesting that a fair few came from a Junior cross..

Compare & contrast with now.

Exactly. Players like Bent and Wayne "beat three players and then kick a tame shot into the keepers' hands" Allison were limited players but they did their best and that was part of the charm...

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Think you could off added half our squad to that

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He was limited but fast as **** & a brave sort, always remember that forearm smash he got at Oxford, but when he was back he still gave it all he had..

I remember him taking part in some 100 metres competition for footballers on a TV program like Saint and Greavsie. He had blistering pace, pretty sure Dave Smith was no slouch either. Exciting players to watch.

The forearm smash that broke his cheek was from Dave Penney who tried to make amends years later by helping to relegate the Slags almost 10 years ago to the week.

Archived