IGNORED

Undr the Cosh - Martin Allen/Wilbraham

ciderwithtommy

Just listened to the above podcast, I know Martin Allen is off the wall, and Parkin not the most elegant of hosts, but in this episode Allen talked about Wilbs and how he is a proper “man”, a leader, a diamond that you would be proud to call your son. 

just made me nostalgic for that league one team, and angry that so many good characters were thrown aside. If Wilbs (and more) were still here in a coaching capacity, my opinion is that some of the absolute nonsense we’ve seen this season just wouldn’t of happened. Not only have we regressed football wise, but also from character viewpoint. So frustrating when you have those people in the building, and you just let it drift away. 

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Just listened to the above podcast, I know Martin Allen is off the wall, and Parkin not the most elegant of hosts, but in this episode Allen talked about Wilbs and how he is a proper “man”, a leader, a diamond that you would be proud to call your son. 

just made me nostalgic for that league one team, and angry that so many good characters were thrown aside. If Wilbs (and more) were still here in a coaching capacity, my opinion is that some of the absolute nonsense we’ve seen this season just wouldn’t of happened. Not only have we regressed football wise, but also from character viewpoint. So frustrating when you have those people in the building, and you just let it drift away. 

Then you’d get all the anti ‘jobs for the boys ‘ gang crying on OTIB at the first points dropped.

I appreciate the sentiment but people and times move on .

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Then you’d get all the anti ‘jobs for the boys ‘ gang crying on OTIB at the first points dropped.

I appreciate the sentiment but people and times move on .

Totally agree, times move on. But in my opinion that squad moved on too quickly, and we lost characters that left a void. Building a culture is so tough to do, once you have it you must protect it. We didn’t, and are reaping the consequences. 

My post I guess isn’t so much about Wilbs individually, but as a collective how we threw away a “golden generation” culturally and footballing talent wise.

13 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

I love Wilbs definitely in my stable of all time city boys

• Admin
2 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Any chance of posting a link please?

4 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

That L1 team was fantastic in L1 but couldn't hack it in the Championship, they were given a chance but weren't good enough at that point in time (I realise some like Ayling have gone onto play in the Prem but others haven't done so well - JET eg). There's a big difference between L1 and the Championship, as for Wilbs (who I rated) all the fans around me we're moaning when he was picked once we got promoted. Fact is the teams we had under LJ we're better than that side, not sure about now though!

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

That L1 team was fantastic in L1 but couldn't hack it in the Championship, they were given a chance but weren't good enough at that point in time (I realise some like Ayling have gone onto play in the Prem but others haven't done so well - JET eg). There's a big difference between L1 and the Championship, as for Wilbs (who I rated) all the fans around me we're moaning when he was picked once we got promoted. Fact is the teams we had under LJ we're better than that side, not sure about now though!

Not sure I agree.

other than Mark Little, who missed some of the season to Tavernier when injured the rest clearly were and in a lot of cases still are, good enough. That’s the football side of the debate, but losing the character that Allen describes re Wilbs is the bit that resonated more. How many real tough, leaders do we have? It’s crazy to think that we haven’t recruited against that DNA again. 

Those of us with an ounce of football sense realise why all the leaders from the promotion team slowly but surely left the club.

Firstly the cock up that cancelled the summer recruitment that Cotts had arranged before he went on summer holiday, left us without the leg up that many promoted sides need to survive at a higher level.

Secondly, because Cotts successor could not deal with players who have leadership, opinions that may clash at times and those who have played at much higher levels.

That is why we have ended up with a squad of followers not leaders, many of whom do not say anything on the pitch during a game as highlighted by Nigel Pearson in his recent post match interview.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Those of us with an ounce of football sense realise why all the leaders from the promotion team slowly but surely left the club.

Firstly the cock up that cancelled the summer recruitment that Cotts had arranged before he went on summer holiday, left us without the leg up that many promoted sides need to survive at a higher level.

Secondly, because Cotts successor could not deal with players who have leadership, opinions that may clash at times and those who have played at much higher levels.

That is why we have ended up with a squad of followers not leaders, many of whom do not say anything on the pitch during a game as highlighted by Nigel Pearson in his recent post match interview.

Bang on. 

They say, given time, team's come to reflect their manager and, after 5 years, that was certainly true of Johnson's team.

And it ain't a pretty sight.

On 23/04/2021 at 10:54, ciderwithtommy said:

Wilberham has also been on there in the past. Ironically he told stories about Martin Allen!

I didn’t know anything about these podcasts until I saw the Wilbraham one shared by a City fan on twitter. So watched that and enjoyed it. Watched loads of them since. Marc Bircham, Rowan Vine, Luke chadwick, Martin Allen all very good but  the Andy Johnson (ex West Brom, Norwich, Forest and Wales midfielder) one is AMAZING. Didn’t realise he was Bristolian. Sooo funny. Modern day footballers just won’t have the stories that players of 15+ years ago will have. Camera phones and social media has put an end to most of the stuff that used to go on. Highly recommend you all have a listen to that Andy Johnson one if you have time. 

16 hours ago, jambodinho said:

I didn’t know anything about these podcasts until I saw the Wilbraham one shared by a City fan on twitter. So watched that and enjoyed it. Watched loads of them since. Marc Bircham, Rowan Vine, Luke chadwick, Martin Allen all very good but  the Andy Johnson (ex West Brom, Norwich, Forest and Wales midfielder) one is AMAZING. Didn’t realise he was Bristolian. Sooo funny. Modern day footballers just won’t have the stories that players of 15+ years ago will have. Camera phones and social media has put an end to most of the stuff that used to go on. Highly recommend you all have a listen to that Andy Johnson one if you have time. 

That Bircham one was brilliant. Not listened to the Johnson one though so will give it ago. 

I have to recommend Graham Stack & Tony Warner episodes of 'The Magic Sponge' as well. They are comedy gold, Warner was so good they got him on twice. 

David Noble ep is is good as well, one story about Graham Stack in there that had me cracking up. 

20 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Andy Johnson is a complete lunatic, and some of the stories were mental and had me in tears. His mate that is mentioned on there "tank" (Alan Rogers) has done one as well, his story about the bloke in the balaclava was superb.

Wilbs just comes across a top pro, and I've listened to the first Martin Allen and have downloaded the second one.

Have listened to a few of them. Thought the Kevin Campbell one was interesting. I got a bit bored after a while as it felt like a lot the stories were typical lad stories told in slightly different ways. I do like that they have interviewed a number of lower league players though and I'll probably work through a few more soon. 

Archived