IGNORED

One Team in Keynsham - another Red gone too soon

Dollymarie

I’m shocked to hear this. I’m much more of a reader than a poster on here. I enjoyed his posts. He seemed like a very decent bloke. I’ve no idea who he or pretty much any other poster on here is in real life.

@Dollymarie This could be a rubbish Idea but might it be possible to pin the threads for those who have passed away under one sub forum heading? Although of course they’re never truly forgotten they kind of get forgotten on here as their thread including tributes fall off the bottom of the page.

There’s some really nice words on here from people that knew him.

Thoughts with his nearest and dearest and all those affected.

Bless his heart.  Cancer took my dad in February.  We were lucky to have him so long and feel blessed that I was with him when he died.  Too many people haven't been so lucky - if that's the right word - in these times.  Hope Phil had his loved ones with him and he died at peace.  

Just read parts of the blog. It's so sad but demonstrates what a character he was. Having lost my mum to cancer a couple of years ago the experience is still pretty close. 

I recall his posts partly because I often wondered how people got jobs in the Cayman Islands !

RIP  OTIK 

I have had a seat next to Phil at the gate for more seasons than I can count, albeit for a chunk of them he was prone to skip the odd game due to the length of the commute from Cayman. He was always there for the big ones, the playoffs, the cup games, Jacki's debut.... plus the ones best not highlighted against teams (who beat us) from towns we weren't quite sure where they were on the map, in kits we weren't quite sure they played in.

It has been an honour and a privilege to know him since that awkward introduction at school, where we confirmed to each other we were red not blue.

I have 40+ years of super happy memories, despite the football. His bravery, positivity and black humour right through to the last few days is unbelievable.

It is to his credit just how many people he has touched, lifted, made laugh and enjoy his company. And his humility meant he never even realised that until we spelt it out to him recently.

The comments on here bring a tear to my eye. Truly lovely. But Phil won't have anyone being down, he would say man up, grab a cider and scream dog's abuse at any City player not giving blood for the shirt.

He would be humbled to be thought of so warmly on the very pages he used to love reading, from posters he used to love sharing views with.

Tonight I will have a Thatchers and raise a glass to a top guy, a top red and a top poster. 

He was right from the start. There really is only One Team In Keynsham.

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Absolutely gutted.

'Mad Dog' (never could recall how or why he came by his London Branch epithet,) was a long-standing, loyal, engaging, witty and downright 'top-bloke'. Often self-deprecating when he had nothing about which to be modest. 'A-Team' member throughout. Too many fun journeys to and from matches in his company to recall. Oddly, I never put two and two together so didn't appreciate he was also 'One Team In Keynsham'.

Even when Phil moved to The Cayman's he still returned and caught up with the fellas a few times each season. I last saw him at AG probably around the time of his diagnosis (usually you'd be more likely to find 'Mad Dog' away midweek at some obscure fixture,) and knew he was getting back more frequently, though hadn't appreciated why. And that's the problem with this sodding pandemic, you miss out on the pre/post match catch-ups.

The messages are circulating around the old London Branch members and we're all devestated at Phil's passing. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

I'll raise a 'virtual glass' in your honour and memory tonight, good Sir.

Similarly gutted, top man, so sad. RIP Mad Dog, also no idea where the name originated. About to give in to tirednesess but "one more for the road" now.

2 hours ago, MrBibs said:

I’m shocked to hear this. I’m much more of a reader than a poster on here. I enjoyed his posts. He seemed like a very decent bloke. I’ve no idea who he or pretty much any other poster on here is in real life.

@Dollymarie This could be a rubbish Idea but might it be possible to pin the threads for those who have passed away under one sub forum heading? Although of course they’re never truly forgotten they kind of get forgotten on here as their thread including tributes fall off the bottom of the page.

There’s some really nice words on here from people that knew him.

Thoughts with his nearest and dearest and all those affected.

This is a great idea, a sort of OTIB Memorial Garden. 

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Here you go. Here’s one his wife posted on Facebook earlier

CF3CFDB4-264D-493C-A74C-11BFC0C5F7C5.jpeg

Rest in peace, Phil. I feel we shared a lot in common over on the non-football forum in terms of taste in music and political outlook. He was always a poster I looked out for as he spoke a lot of sense and made me laugh. 

Gutted to hear about this.

He DM'd me asking to meet up at the Euros in 2016, in either Nice or Lens (can't recall which), but I didn't see the DM till a few days later. Shame we never got to meet in person as he sounded like a top bloke.

Thoughts with his family & friends. 

Really sad news. A poster who you could chat too and who also realised  that away from the forum we’re probably all more similar than we know.

I never met him physically, but feel a wee bit gutted by this.

Sad news.

Archived