IGNORED

One Team in Keynsham - another Red gone too soon

Dollymarie

On 23/04/2021 at 08:28, REDOXO said:

@leadman

Thank You Marie!

As Marie knows over the years some of us had met up on the Chatbox on match days. Many of us overseas from all over the globe! OTIK was one of us...who always had a happy comment about the weather in the Caymens.

For close to ten years I spent most match days in his company, among others, plotting trips back to Brizz for games and lamenting our often mediocre form.

We would chat about stuff over the years not just football, his job in finance, politics and a shared devotion to punk and post punk rock n roll, If I remember correctly he would like to come back for the occasional gig and would even go to Minehead Butlins from the Caymans for retro gigs and events.

Phil while living in the Caymans remained a season ticket holder and I particularly remember him saying to me about the Man U game....I AM NOT GOING TO MISS THIS ONE....He didnt!

We were online with a few others on a couple of remarkable days...One of which was the Gas lost their league status. A packed chatbox (sadly chatbox is just me and leady and occasionally booner these days) was listening to us away Crawley, when it gradually became clear that they had to score. At that time you could move between club commentaries and chatting continued all the way to the final whistle...That and the ensuing Twentyman interviews would always raise a subsequent laugh (guffaw)

Both of us were in Briz for the Walsall game, however due to his family commitments we didnt meet up, however his and my chat room mate Bucksred did and Phil sent his felicitations.

Recently we chatted electronically and it was clear that he was battling all that he could!

I would like to send my heartfelt condolences to Phil his family and friends! A bloke I never met, but still a good mate!

Bucksred passed away suddenly soon after the Walsall game and I know Chatroom/box will be monitored on match day well by the lads!!

Leadman and I will miss you fella. Until we meet again!! (the first time!)

Top bloke, will miss is rants on match days, proper fan and a good laugh.

Rest In Peace old boy.

My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

As a follow on from this sad news over fifties get your shit tested every year .

A test kit should be available from your GP and could save your life. 

The test requires you to dip a cotton bud in your business and send it off for analysis.

The laboratory checks for blood cells in your stools. 

Stay safe.

On 23/04/2021 at 17:43, BTRFTG said:

Absolutely gutted.

'Mad Dog' (never could recall how or why he came by his London Branch epithet,) was a long-standing, loyal, engaging, witty and downright 'top-bloke'. Often self-deprecating when he had nothing about which to be modest. 'A-Team' member throughout. Too many fun journeys to and from matches in his company to recall. Oddly, I never put two and two together so didn't appreciate he was also 'One Team In Keynsham'.

Even when Phil moved to The Cayman's he still returned and caught up with the fellas a few times each season. I last saw him at AG probably around the time of his diagnosis (usually you'd be more likely to find 'Mad Dog' away midweek at some obscure fixture,) and knew he was getting back more frequently, though hadn't appreciated why. And that's the problem with this sodding pandemic, you miss out on the pre/post match catch-ups.

The messages are circulating around the old London Branch members and we're all devestated at Phil's passing. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

I'll raise a 'virtual glass' in your honour and memory tonight, good Sir.

F*%$, didn't realise OTIK was Phil.  He was a top bloke.  Sad loss.

Very sad and shocking news. 

I had the privilege to meet up with Phil in Nice and we shared a few beers and talked City and music. England then got beat by Iceland. 

We actually "met" on here. We PM'ed each other over our other love.... Wine!!

We were due to get back together again in Dublin for the round of 16 Euro 2020, however Covid put paid to that. 

A great lad taken far to soon. RIP fella.

Steve. 

It’s wonderful reading everyone’s memories of Phil. I’ve shared a link to this thread with his brother in law as I’m sure his family will appreciate reading this. I met him just a few times and knew of his passion for City but didn’t know he was active on here. A genuinely lovely guy who will be sadly missed by his friends and family. 

4 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

It’s wonderful reading everyone’s memories of Phil. I’ve shared a link to this thread with his brother in law as I’m sure his family will appreciate reading this. I met him just a few times and knew of his passion for City but didn’t know he was active on here. A genuinely lovely guy who will be sadly missed by his friends and family. 

Hartley. If you could let me/us know where to send flowers or a donation it would be appreciated. 

Very sad to hear. I didn't know Phil but certainly recognise his OTIK handle. From reading this thread it's clear he was a top fella who'll be greatly missed by many.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

RIP fellow Red. 

Thank you for telling us all Marie. Very sad news indeed. Phil and I exchanged many messages back in 2007 and 2008 over his trips to Havana. I was very glad to impart my local knowledge and make his visits a little more fun and interesting. Sadly we never met and of course now never will but it was always a pleasure for me to give him some tips not least because I knew he would write a nice message upon his return. I have pleasure in copying one such report here now from early 2008....

Rich,

Cheers for your help. All went swimmingly in Havana.

Arrived tea time on Friday, had a few drinks at the hotel, dinner at the Bodeguita, then wandered back up Obispo back to Parque Central with a few mojito and daiquiri stops. The place between Floridita and Montserrate was heaving, so decided to pay over the odds for the "atmosphere" and a daiquiri at the Floridita before calling it a night.

Wandered around for the bulk of Saturday: my dad's first visit, so the usual stuff of Capitolio, Partagas tour, wander around Plazas Vieja, Armas, Cathedral etc. Had lunch at the Muralla on Plaza Vieja, and was wll impressed with the beer and the food. Dinner at La Guarida was excellent, and no probs with the reservation.

On Sunday the weather was crappy, so hopped in a cab and went out along the Malecon to check out the US interests section (always amusing) and then up to the Plaza de la Revolucion.

All in, another good visit to Havana.

later

Phil

Phil... how you doing in cayman?.. just going through my old messages and wondered if i had replied to this. if not apologies.

That bar between Montserrate and Floridita is called Castillo del Farnes.. if i had not mentioned it before. that is/was my local. keep me posted on future trips and thanks again for the report. Rich

6 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Hartley. If you could let me/us know where to send flowers or a donation it would be appreciated. 

I’ll find out and post a reply; unless @Dollymarie already knows? What I do know already is that his brother in law is doing a fundraiser for a cancer support charity ‘We Get It’. If you would like to support this you can do so here: https://localgiving.org/fundraising/tom-runs-for-phil/?fbclid=IwAR3PLRjr02PwbZamsbw2IdL7ZzRWhPROSlVxCUsiZnNFKdIk3_xpgD8KhhM

10 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

I’ll find out and post a reply; unless @Dollymarie already knows? What I do know already is that his brother in law is doing a fundraiser for a cancer support charity ‘We Get It’. If you would like to support this you can do so here: https://localgiving.org/fundraising/tom-runs-for-phil/?fbclid=IwAR3PLRjr02PwbZamsbw2IdL7ZzRWhPROSlVxCUsiZnNFKdIk3_xpgD8KhhM

I’ve seen a post from Claire https://localgiving.org/fundraising/support-Phil/?fbclid=IwAR0MvAL06gTvKpuN3oP0DkIkqS54mLbT8GbXoRkMOu1UU1tLzSH0hNqJYbI

On 23/04/2021 at 16:28, REDOXO said:

@leadman

Thank You Marie!

As Marie knows over the years some of us had met up on the Chatbox on match days. Many of us overseas from all over the globe! OTIK was one of us...who always had a happy comment about the weather in the Caymens.

For close to ten years I spent most match days in his company, among others, plotting trips back to Brizz for games and lamenting our often mediocre form.

We would chat about stuff over the years not just football, his job in finance, politics and a shared devotion to punk and post punk rock n roll, If I remember correctly he would like to come back for the occasional gig and would even go to Minehead Butlins from the Caymans for retro gigs and events.

Phil while living in the Caymans remained a season ticket holder and I particularly remember him saying to me about the Man U game....I AM NOT GOING TO MISS THIS ONE....He didnt!

We were online with a few others on a couple of remarkable days...One of which was the Gas lost their league status. A packed chatbox (sadly chatbox is just me and leady and occasionally booner these days) was listening to us away Crawley, when it gradually became clear that they had to score. At that time you could move between club commentaries and chatting continued all the way to the final whistle...That and the ensuing Twentyman interviews would always raise a subsequent laugh (guffaw)

Both of us were in Briz for the Walsall game, however due to his family commitments we didnt meet up, however his and my chat room mate Bucksred did and Phil sent his felicitations.

Recently we chatted electronically and it was clear that he was battling all that he could!

I would like to send my heartfelt condolences to Phil his family and friends! A bloke I never met, but still a good mate!

Bucksred passed away suddenly soon after the Walsall game and I know Chatroom/box will be monitored on match day well by the lads!!

Leadman and I will miss you fella. Until we meet again!! (the first time!)

Well said @REDOXO

11 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Donated and done. Again, considering I never met the bloke his death has hit me quite hard. Lovely to read the brilliant memories of those who knew him though.

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Donated and done. Again, considering I never met the bloke his death has hit me quite hard. Lovely to read the brilliant memories of those who knew him though.

Same, we only exchanged PMs whilst both in Russia 2018 but what a top guy and wayyyy too young

19 hours ago, REDOXO said:

In reply to your question - no flowers but donations if anyone wanted to make any to St Margaret’s hospIce or to either of the fundraisers for the charity ‘We Get it’ as mentioned in earlier comments by @Dollymarie and myself, which are being completed by Phil’s wife and his brother-in-law

Archived