IGNORED

Do the next 3 games matter?

Marina's Rolls Royce

Genuine question  with no "agenda". 

We are pretty much assured our status in the Championship .

Is anyone concerned as to whether we win , lose or draw in terms of progress?  Or is it a case of clear out whatever and  a new clean sheet ?

IMO- if we win all 3 then then we finish ok and the job has to be for NP , lose all 3 then thanks but no thanks and anything in-between  is up for debate.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d really like to NP pick a team with an honest explanation of why each player is picked and why others aren’t.

It won’t happen.

But I’d like to at least be able to second guess what he can’t say by seeing the line-up.

I don't really get what you mean,Dave, You are a bit more savvy than me ( ok- loads)  but what do you mean by what he can't say?

I haven’t cared for the last ten matches to be honest, they have been less relevant than pre-season friendlies. 

At least in pre-season you will be experimenting with the squad you’ve assembled for the season. Currently we have players involved who aren’t even going to be here after these next three matches. 

9 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I haven’t cared for the last ten matches to be honest, they have been less relevant than pre-season friendlies. 

At least in pre-season you will be experimenting with the squad you’ve assembled for the season. Currently we have players involved who aren’t even going to be here after these next three matches. 

Fair comment- personally I've never felt so disconnected to the club I love since  pretty much forever except maybe when we didn't sign Robert Flack permanently when Dennis whatshisname ( Russ?) was Chairman.

Edit _ Fleck ? Russe ? It's blooming ages ago.

34 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I don't really get what you mean,Dave, You are a bit more savvy than me ( ok- loads)  but what do you mean by what he can't say?

I’m basically saying he’s too professional to say “I’ve not picked x because his attitude stinks”.

I'm as disappointed with the recent results as anyone else and really don't expect us to win any of the three remaining games ( I'd be more than content with four points). 

There are numerous issues within the club at present - not least around the first team squad - and I wouldn't consider disarray to be too strong a word to sum the situation up.

As for a Manager explaining precisely why he's chosen a particular line up, and why he's picked or not picked each player - how often does that happen anywhere I wonder? It would be very interesting though.

Manager's have always been judged on results and some of the most successful ones have had inauspicious starts - remember Ferguson at Manchester United, or Shankly at Liverpool (who lost his first two games 0-4 and 0-3)?

39 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

In which case he must be really struggling as he's still picking 2 or 3 whose attitude stinks.

He's not really got a lot to pick from, he's said he will play the youth but in the same sentence won't subject them to any long term harm too soon.

His preferred system seems a 4-2-3-1 and that is with a target man up front, he's done that a lot in the past.

Wells docent fit that up top so he plays Fam who is not interested, there are really no other options to be fair.

It does look like he is trying players he has left and giving them a chance in a few positions so its just experimenting with what he has.

4 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Is anyone concerned as to whether we win , lose or draw in terms of progress?  Or is it a case of clear out whatever and  a new clean sheet ?

IMO- if we win all 3 then then we finish ok and the job has to be for NP , lose all 3 then thanks but no thanks and anything in-between  is up for debate.

It does matter to me. I think it will be one of each. A win against the Hatters, draw away at the Lions and we will most likely suffer a big loss against Brentford. 4 points will make most happy including Pearson who I hope gets the opportunity to address the issues he has inherited.  

5 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

In which case he must be really struggling as he's still picking 2 or 3 whose attitude stinks.

So agreeing with your quotes marina and Davefevs. Cause the are those players who do not give one. Which makes my blood boil, how dare they Diss the club like that. 

I am so keen to see the list of players who are to be released. Its going yo be long I think. 

But so hope the board has the sense to find a way to keep semenyo, massengo and Vyner who I really fear we will get decent offers for 

Do not sell the crown jewels again 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m basically saying he’s too professional to say “I’ve not picked x because his attitude stinks”.

NP is very much between a rock and hard place, he can only use the players available to him (obvious I know), so going public would do no good as an injury may well need him to pick a player he doesn’t rate, which is why we’ve seen such rotation at full back and midfield.

7 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

I dont suppose he can but wish he could then we know hes on the same page as us .

You’ll know so enough when the retained list and available for transfer lists come out, only a couple of weeks to go. NP may not be Pep, but he knows which players have the attitude and application he wants already.

Yes a win is great, but at this moment it's more important to play people and see whether they are good enough or have the right attitude. Blooding youth and weeding out the weak established.

I'd like to know whether 4231 is going to be the preferred formation for next season...or we are just playing it to suit strengths of what players are available.

If former...will we recruit and release based on that preferred formation?

If so...would Wells be seen as the main striker next season or played in left? If main striker...why does he continue with Fam?

Hard to tell with so many injured out. Unfortunately NP hasn't been able to see the quality of our injured players.

8 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I've been disenchanted with the club for ages now. But this morning I'm thinking that if Pearson is appointed, is appointed asap, and uses the next few games to start the much needed reconstruction, I could well be renewing the season tickets I'd more or less consigned to the bin. 

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

So agreeing with your quotes marina and Davefevs. Cause the are those players who do not give one. Which makes my blood boil, how dare they Diss the club like that. 

I am so keen to see the list of players who are to be released. Its going yo be long I think. 

But so hope the board has the sense to find a way to keep semenyo, massengo and Vyner who I really fear we will get decent offers for 

Do not sell the crown jewels again 

I fear you may be disappointed, if you’re hoping that members of the existing squad will be leaving in droves, to be replaced by a bus-load of new signings. Pearson himself has as good as said that, in the current circumstances, this is not a realistic possibility. There will be changes, for sure, if Pearson stays, but I seriously doubt the “clear-out” that many are calling for will actually happen.

At the moment, I’m more concerned about who the manager is going to be next season, and who will oversee player recruitment. SL seems to be in no hurry to make any announcement on either issue, which some of us find slightly ominous, after last summer’s fiasco. The importance of those two appointments probably outweighs that of re-shaping the squad, when it comes to determining the club’s prospects for next season.

7 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I fear you may be disappointed, if you’re hoping that members of the existing squad will be leaving in droves, to be replaced by a bus-load of new signings. Pearson himself has as good as said that, in the current circumstances, this is not a realistic possibility. There will be changes, for sure, if Pearson stays, but I seriously doubt the “clear-out” that many are calling for will actually happen.

At the moment, I’m more concerned about who the manager is going to be next season, and who will oversee player recruitment. SL seems to be in no hurry to make any announcement on either issue, which some of us find slightly ominous, after last summer’s fiasco. The importance of those two appointments probably outweighs that of re-shaping the squad, when it comes to determining the club’s prospects for next season.

I tend to agree with you 

It's a small chance to redeem this shambles of a season. To my mind, Pearson still has something to prove: and he has two options: keep going with the disinterested rabble (Fam, Hunt, etc) or say "what the hell" and throw in the kids for some games, energise the club again. If they lose, no big deal, no harm done, and kids have got some game time in real matches, but without the pressure of crowds. No-one will hold it against them (look at Towler vs Watford - everyone understood).

And it Pearson IS the man - he needs to start showing his hand and indicating the plan for the future. Starting by announcing who's staying and who's going.

Naive? Probably. And it won't happen. But it's what I'd like to see...

9 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Fair comment- personally I've never felt so disconnected to the club I love since  pretty much forever except maybe when we didn't sign Robert Flack permanently when Dennis whatshisname ( Russ?) was Chairman.

Edit _ Fleck ? Russe ? It's blooming ages ago.

Did you forget his name The First Time Ever You Saw His Face...?

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d really like to NP pick a team with an honest explanation of why each player is picked and why others aren’t.

It won’t happen.

But I’d like to at least be able to second guess what he can’t say by seeing the line-up.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What @Davefevs said. That's kind of where I am. Some openness. I love my club but I am really, really worried for it right now.

Lots are banging on (rightly) about the lack of leadership on the pitch, but it's the lack of leadership at the top that scares me.

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t really care and do you know why? Because it’s...

RELEGATION DAY!!!! Wooohooooo!

I'd forgotten about that. I do miss having a proper rivalry with the Sags, and for the kids who support the teams - on both sides - to never have really experienced a league derby, and not to realise what all the fuss is about is a shame.

But...Play up, Pompey!

Yes I think they matter. We need to gain some confidence. I also want to pay my tenner and see some decent football! I do think there have been some improvements - albeit small - in recent matches compared to before; we have at least put a few passes together whereas before we couldn’t even do that. We do need to play some different strikers though - Wells and Fam are bang out of form. Need to play someone up front who had hold onto the ball. 

They matter for the reasons @spudskioutlined.

There is clearly an agenda in the OP’s post though because if Birmingham draw today & we are mathematically safe & Pearson then picked a side made up largely of the U23s & he lost all three, that suggests you would sack him for it, when it would be totally the right thing to do.  No way will a side in our form “win all 3”.

Can’t agree with the comment that there won’t be a clearout of those out of contract, 12 plus Sessegnon going back to Fulham. 

If we retain more than 4 of them I’d be amazed.

Archived