IGNORED

Do the next 3 games matter?

Marina's Rolls Royce

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Yes a win is great, but at this moment it's more important to play people and see whether they are good enough or have the right attitude. Blooding youth and weeding out the weak established.

I'd like to know whether 4231 is going to be the preferred formation for next season...or we are just playing it to suit strengths of what players are available.

If former...will we recruit and release based on that preferred formation?

If so...would Wells be seen as the main striker next season or played in left? If main striker...why does he continue with Fam?

Hard to tell with so many injured out. Unfortunately NP hasn't been able to see the quality of our injured players.

Me too.

4231 is probably the easiest system to recruit to because generally you can have versatility in the front 6.  Preston do it with players that can play in the DM2 or CAM, and CFs that can play in the wide forward roles.

But it ultimately all comes down to personnel.  So until we see who’s released it’s gonna difficult to draw too many conclusions.

11 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I don't really get what you mean,Dave, You are a bit more savvy than me ( ok- loads)  but what do you mean by what he can't say?

My guess is something like” Fam isn’t in the squad because his head is elsewhere”, or such like. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Me too.

4231 is probably the easiest system to recruit to because generally you can have versatility in the front 6.  Preston do it with players that can play in the DM2 or CAM, and CFs that can play in the wide forward roles.

But it ultimately all comes down to personnel.  So until we see who’s released it’s gonna difficult to draw too many conclusions.

This is a big issue for me, until we have a manager/head coach in place with a system to work towards there is no way we can recruit without a scatter gun approach 

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

My guess is something like” Fam isn’t in the squad because his head is elsewhere”, or such like. 

I see Boro have basically stated that Britt and Fletcher won’t play any further part.  Hoping we see similar.

11 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Genuine question  with no "agenda". 

We are pretty much assured our status in the Championship .

Is anyone concerned as to whether we win , lose or draw in terms of progress?  Or is it a case of clear out whatever and  a new clean sheet ?

IMO- if we win all 3 then then we finish ok and the job has to be for NP , lose all 3 then thanks but no thanks and anything in-between  is up for debate.

I think it is important we start getting a few points now. I wouldn't necessarily want Pearson gone if we picked up 0, but from a respectability stand point and to see us go into next season with a bit of momentum a few points would be nice.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

They matter for the reasons @spudski

Can’t agree with the comment that there won’t be a clearout of those out of contract, 12 plus Sessegnon going back to Fulham. 

If we retain more than 4 of them I’d be amazed.

With all the uncertainty of the post-COVID world, I would be surprised if we let 12 go. Too risky.

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Lots are banging on (rightly) about the lack of leadership on the pitch, but it's the lack of leadership at the top that scares me.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Can’t agree with the comment that there won’t be a clearout of those out of contract, 12 plus Sessegnon going back to Fulham. 

If we retain more than 4 of them I’d be amazed.

You’re absolutely right, SS, to be worried about the leadership vacuum at boardroom level. It’s the most important issue facing the club right now.

Always respect your opinion, Graham, but my comments were based, as I said, on remarks made by Pearson himself. Of course, that becomes largely irrelevant if he doesn’t stay, but even so, twelve players OOC is hell of a lot to let go at once, especially when the outlook in the transfer market is so uncertain, post-Covid. We’ll see, I guess...

30 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

You’re absolutely right, SS, to be worried about the leadership vacuum at boardroom level. It’s the most important issue facing the club right now.

Always respect your opinion, Graham, but my comments were based, as I said, on remarks made by Pearson himself. Of course, that becomes largely irrelevant if he doesn’t stay, but even so, twelve players OOC is hell of a lot to let go at once, especially when the outlook in the transfer market is so uncertain, post-Covid. We’ll see, I guess...

Thanks 

If we look at the 15 including Sessegnon (by the way I don’t think they will all go):

Wollacott, seems to have been here for ever, nowhere near the 1st team, 25 (!) next season. No point keeping him on as a 3rd keeper.

Gilmartin, what even is he? Player who never played, now another coach, get rid.

Hunt, struggled badly all season, honestly believe he tries, but now needs replacing.

Baker, on absolutely huge wages, he hasn’t been available once yet, no brainer.

Mariappa, 35 next season, lost his place a while ago, can’t see him being kept on.

Sessegnon, not our player.

Simpson, reckon NP might keep him on, but would be on the basis of his career & that he knows him rather than on his 2 starts for us.

Rowe, a possible, could go either way, just think we should look at Pring & Nurse as cover myself.

Lansbury, another possible but think NP will expect to get a better experienced option from the free market.

Paterson, could see why we might offer him a deal but injured a lot this season.

Weimann, certainty to have his contract extended, I think.

Watkins & Adelakun, hardly started a game for us in their 3 years, Watkins is 30 now, Adelakun not good enough.

Diedhiou, obviously not interested in sticking around, doubt he would sign a deal even if we offer him one.

Finally Walsh, my views are well known but accept he is a possible but still struggling to see how we will keep on more than 4 of that lot.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I see Boro have basically stated that Britt and Fletcher won’t play any further part.  Hoping we see similar.

But did their CEO come out a few months ago saying the club would get value from them by having them on the pitch?

Maybe I'm giving Pearson too much leeway but him repeatedly picking Fam runs so contrary to my understanding of him and the kind of team he wants that I can't help wondering if there's a bit of politics being played as well.

57 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

But did their CEO come out a few months ago saying the club would get value from them by having them on the pitch?

Maybe I'm giving Pearson too much leeway but him repeatedly picking Fam runs so contrary to my understanding of him and the kind of team he wants that I can't help wondering if there's a bit of politics being played as well.

I see no purpose being served now we are so far into the season.  At the time of “gobby” opening his trap during the Norwich game City were 9th, still in touch with playoffs (game in hand too).

That situation has changed.  Big time.

He may well have been getting instruction to play Fam to give it one final push to sign a contract and save £5.3m walking.  My view on this is very different (what a surprise), but it’s not my club.

I can only imagine NP wants a clean slate to make his own decisions.  MA is no more (in reality).  That can happen tomorrow, but I can sort of see why it hasn’t so far...even if I’m pissed off about it.

Next three games; blood some youngsters, show some improved performances and hopefully at least two wins.

We fans will then be looking forward to next season. Three bad performances from apathetic players and we won't.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks 

If we look at the 15 including Sessegnon (by the way I don’t think they will all go):

Wollacott, seems to have been here for ever, nowhere near the 1st team, 25 (!) next season. No point keeping him on as a 3rd keeper.

Gilmartin, what even is he? Player who never played, now another coach, get rid.

Hunt, struggled badly all season, honestly believe he tries, but now needs replacing.

Baker, on absolutely huge wages, he hasn’t been available once yet, no brainer.

Mariappa, 35 next season, lost his place a while ago, can’t see him being kept on.

Sessegnon, not our player.

Simpson, reckon NP might keep him on, but would be on the basis of his career & that he knows him rather than on his 2 starts for us.

Rowe, a possible, could go either way, just think we should look at Pring & Nurse as cover myself.

Lansbury, another possible but think NP will expect to get a better experienced option from the free market.

Paterson, could see why we might offer him a deal but injured a lot this season.

Weimann, certainty to have his contract extended, I think.

Watkins & Adelakun, hardly started a game for us in their 3 years, Watkins is 30 now, Adelakun not good enough.

Diedhiou, obviously not interested in sticking around, doubt he would sign a deal even if we offer him one.

Finally Walsh, my views are well known but accept he is a possible but still struggling to see how we will keep on more than 4 of that lot.

I do take your point Graham, and you make a persuasive case. 

Slightly off-topic, in a way, but very much related, is the question of recruitment. If, as you suggest, eight players may leave the club, others will have to be brought in, even if it's not deemed necessary to find direct replacements for all eight.

Successful squad development is usually a process of evolution, rather than revolution - a medium to long term process that requires planning. If MA has been the main man behind that, then regardless of whether one thinks he did a good job or not, the question arises as to how prepared we are for a rebuilding exercise on this scale.

The Ipswich thing didn't happen overnight. I would imagine Ashton has known for quite a long time that he probably wouldn't be here next season. Under those circumstances, and given that most people believe MA's first priority is always MA, how much work do you suppose he put in to drawing up a list of targets that might replace those to whom we decided not to offer contracts? One suspects he will not exactly have flogged himself to death on our behalf, with (allegedly) a lot of his energy already focused on his next project. 

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m basically saying he’s too professional to say “I’ve not picked x because his attitude stinks”.

Bang on Dave. And I think far too many players would be dropped for that reason at the moment. Which is very sad. Those players do not deserve our support, a wage or a life in football. And need to seriously buck their attitudes up or go and be flower arrangers 

13 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I do take your point Graham, and you make a persuasive case. 

Slightly off-topic, in a way, but very much related, is the question of recruitment. If, as you suggest, eight players may leave the club, others will have to be brought in, even if it's not deemed necessary to find direct replacements for all eight.

Successful squad development is usually a process of evolution, rather than revolution - a medium to long term process that requires planning. If MA has been the main man behind that, then regardless of whether one thinks he did a good job or not, the question arises as to how prepared we are for a rebuilding exercise on this scale.

The Ipswich thing didn't happen overnight. I would imagine Ashton has known for quite a long time that he probably wouldn't be here next season. Under those circumstances, and given that most people believe MA's first priority is always MA, how much work do you suppose he put in to drawing up a list of targets that might replace those to whom we decided not to offer contracts? One suspects he will not exactly have flogged himself to death on our behalf, with (allegedly) a lot of his energy already focused on his next project. 

I genuinely hope he’s put no effort into it....can only be a positive imho.

4 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Bristol Live understands that a three-year deal could be agreed soon if results improve.

Well if our club are basing whether to offer Pearson a contract on the results of the next three games then I would leave now if I was him.

Another pointless offering from Bristol Live.

3 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Well if our club are basing whether to offer Pearson a contract on the results of the next three games then I would leave now if I was him.

Another pointless offering from Bristol Live.

If there is any truth in BL's quote, you have to wonder who 'the board' have in mind to start as soon as the season finishes to come in and take over.

12 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Bristol Live understands that a three-year deal could be agreed soon if results improve.

That leaves the power in the hands of a bunch of players, many of whom won't even be here next season. Madness.

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

If there is any truth in BL's quote, you have to wonder who 'the board' have in mind to start as soon as the season finishes to come in and take over.

Whoever wins their last three games of the season, presumably.

To be honest its been a horrible horrible season, which started in the Summer of 2020. We have taken huge strides backwards. All I can say is that little burst we got from Pearson when he joined has saved us. There is no way we were going anywhere but down with Holden.

As we are safe, you play ONLY those who are gonna be with us next season (IMO). The rest you let go for there holidays now. You can send Mr Ashton on his way too.  The Lansdowns then need to give Pearson a 3 year contract and let him do his thing.

5 minutes ago, TheJudge07 said:

To be honest its been a horrible horrible season, which started in the Summer of 2020. We have taken huge strides backwards. All I can say is that little burst we got from Pearson when he joined has saved us. There is no way we were going anywhere but down with Holden.

As we are safe, you play ONLY those who are gonna be with us next season (IMO). The rest you let go for there holidays now. You can send Mr Ashton on his way too.  The Lansdowns then need to give Pearson a 3 year contract and let him do his thing.

Amen.

1 hour ago, TheJudge07 said:

As we are safe, you play ONLY those who are gonna be with us next season (IMO)

Not sure about this point. Motivation and experiments for next season (assuming Pearson will remain) would suggest this solution, but our recurrent injuries are still a worry: what if Rowe plays instead of Sessegnon and get heavily injured again? Maybe playing some of the departing OOC players would preserve the likes of Kalas, Massengo, Wells...so if I were Pearson I would do a mix.

He may want to use it as a shop window for players that aren’t ooc but he doesn’t want. 
It certainly wouldn’t be wise not playing them and telling the truth why. That’d be like putting something on eBay with a description ‘selling because it’s useless’

Archived