IGNORED

Least shots at goal since records began

Olé

Been recorded in the Championship since 2013 and here are the worst team each season. We need another 67 shots to not be the worst since records began. The average worst is 458. On both counts we are likely to set a record that may not be broken for a very long time.

20-21 Bristol City 342

19-20 Charlton 428

18-19 Bolton 440

17-18 Burton 409

16-17 Ipswich 478

15-16 Charlton 508

14-15 Charlton 449

13-14 Doncaster 497

12167C85-0EF0-4DE6-8797-6EF0CBC7D00E.thumb.jpeg.52c5ec1d01030fb0d9896d53070c77a3.jpeg

That is pretty staggering, but not surprising after watching what feels like an eternity of dross. 

Why do we struggle with shooting? Sounds pathetic but it is a genuine question? Why do we struggle to get it up the pitch?

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

That is pretty staggering, but not surprising after watching what feels like an eternity of dross. 

Why do we struggle with shooting? Sounds pathetic but it is a genuine question? Why do we struggle to get it up the pitch?

My best guess is the complete absence of structure to the team.

Due to fitness issues (and Hunt's poor form), we've lacked quality at full back

Due to selling Eliasson and thinking we were going to play without wingers, we've lacked quality on the flanks.

Due to Diedhiou's contract/disinterested, Martin's injury and Wells not fitting in, we've struggled for strikers.

Our central midfield get a fair bit of a flak, some of it deserved, but the reality is they've had zero structure or options around them all season. And a team playing without full backs, wingers or strikers is at a massive disadvantage...

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My best guess is the complete absence of structure to the team.

Due to fitness issues (and Hunt's poor form), we've lacked quality at full back

Due to selling Eliasson and thinking we were going to play without wingers, we've lacked quality on the flanks.

Due to Diedhiou's contract/disinterested, Martin's injury and Wells not fitting in, we've struggled for strikers.

Our central midfield get a fair bit of a flak, some of it deserved, but the reality is they've had zero structure or options around them all season. And a team playing without full backs, wingers or strikers is at a massive disadvantage...

I personaly think that Chris Martin was a big loss for us.

he should have been used for a game and a bit a week but he was playing very well and then got flogged to death until he broke down through injury.

His early season form transformed us IMHO, his link up play was something we have not had for a long time.

He needed to be used correctly with his game time but we pushed him into a long term injury 

34 minutes ago, Olé said:

Been recorded in the Championship since 2013 and here are the worst team each season. We need another 67 shots to not be the worst since records began. The average worst is 458. On both counts we are likely to set a record that may not be broken for a very long time.

20-21 Bristol City 342

19-20 Charlton 428

18-19 Bolton 440

17-18 Burton 409

16-17 Ipswich 478

15-16 Charlton 508

14-15 Charlton 449

13-14 Doncaster 497

12167C85-0EF0-4DE6-8797-6EF0CBC7D00E.thumb.jpeg.52c5ec1d01030fb0d9896d53070c77a3.jpeg

Wow. They are some really bad historical team in that lot... and we’re not even close. 

I think we’ve had a very lucky season!

35 minutes ago, Olé said:

20-21 Bristol City 342

19-20 Charlton 428

18-19 Bolton 440

17-18 Burton 409

16-17 Ipswich 478

15-16 Charlton 508

14-15 Charlton 449

13-14 Doncaster 497

On the positive side, we’re not Charlton fans.......

15 minutes ago, M.D said:

personaly think that Chris Martin was a big loss for us.

I think this is spot on. A quick look at the stats shows that Martin still leads the number of assists with 5 while the next highest is Semenyo on 4 and he's played over 600 minutes more.

Apart from:

Martin 5

Semenyo 4

Wells 3

No player has created more than 2 assists.

42 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Your last question answers the first. Really has been to most boring couple of years football with zilch entertainment. Amazing anyone renews - stupidly I will!! 

Blimey, that shots on goal statistic is very damning. Just goes to show how awful we’ve been. And we’ve been building to be this poor over the last couple of seasons, which makes it even worse. 

Like @Fordy62has said, we’re  lucky this season to not be in the relegation zone. 

8 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I'd be intrigued to see our stats from last season and the season before  because as others have said, it seems to have been progressingly getting worse year or year.

Exactly this, we seem to have been shot shy and (extremely) boring for several seasons now.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

20-21 Bristol City 342

19-20 Charlton 428

18-19 Bolton 440

17-18 Burton 409

16-17 Ipswich 478

15-16 Charlton 508

14-15 Charlton 449

13-14 Doncaster 497

I mean last season we only took 467. So pretty close then.

For comparison the teams in the top 6 tend, not always, but tend, to hit about 15 per game. About 690 over a season.

We've got 3 games left right? We average 7.95 shots per game. Let's be generous and call it 8. 

So we maybe take another 24 shots in total. 

366 is looking like where we may land.

We've allowed our opponents to have 618 shots at our goal. An average of 14.37. So maybe that figure will land around yeh 660 mark. 

So we could be looking at a difference of about 300. Yes. 300 shots for/against. Almost 33% worse than last season's differential of 211.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

@Olé what does the rating column show? They are all a bit close.

It's WhoScored overall team rating, unrelated specifically to the shots taken.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/8304/Stages/18825/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2020-2021 > click the "Detailed" tab > change Shots from per game to total

EPIC FAIL!! 

image.gif.1cf0ee4456badc349f57f90123780120.gif

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Wow!

Fascinating to see that Blackburn are 2nd top yet not really much better than us ( in League position) at bottom.

That’ll be the 263 shots Adam Armstrong had against us. 

8 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Didn't we lead the table in number of Assists last season with Elliasson? And yeh we sold him, of course we did..

In my opinion our biggest miss through injury this season was Weimann.

That would imply we didn't know what we were doing at the time. 

Surely not the case?

18 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Didn't we lead the table in number of Assists last season with Elliasson? And yeh we sold him, of course we did..

In my opinion our biggest miss through injury this season was Weimann.

Would you rather we sold him or let him run down his contract? We know what happens when you do that to a player who wants out.

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Would you rather we sold him or let him run down his contract? We know what happens when you do that to a player who wants out.

I don’t have any problem with selling players. Elliason in particular in the last year and at least we get a fee.
The problem I’ve always had is the person responsible for bringing in decent replacements. 
Last summer we lost Eliasson, Taylor, Wright, Korey. 
Who did we replace them with?? Nothing. 

The season before we lost Webster, Pack, Brownhill & Kelly. 
Who did we replace them with? Nothing. 

That’s the issue. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I don’t have any problem with selling players. Elliason in particular in the last year and at least we get a fee.
The problem I’ve always had is the person responsible for bringing in decent replacements. 
Last summer we lost Eliasson, Taylor, Wright, Korey. 
Who did we replace them with?? Nothing. 

The season before we lost Webster, Pack, Brownhill & Kelly. 
Who did we replace them with? Nothing. 

That’s the issue. 

Agreed.

And the laughable thing is I wasn't that bothered when we let Matty Taylor go. But pound to a penny he'd  have outperformed Wells if he stayed (and we'd have saved a shed load on money into the bargain). The recruitment strategy has been second to none. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Archived