IGNORED

SL and NP meet at last.

Slacker

6 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

Pearson said: “It was great to meet Steve in person and something I was looking forward to. It was a very open and honest conversation and we discussed various aspects of the club which was beneficial to both of us.”

Read that how you like but im more in the NP  is off camp now.think it may have been a bit too much for SL to hear the brutal truth about his beloved football club and wont have it that he needs a total restructure form top to bottom.  beneficial to NP in knowing that he cant have anything like what he NEEDS to turn us round into a play off team

I read it exactly as you do: it doesn’t say it was a positive, or constructive, discussion. And “beneficial to both of us” could very easily mean “we both know we have to plan without each other for next season”.

If that had come from a Press Department I’d have no doubt that was what was meant ‘between the lines’; I guess NP may not be quite so precise (or deliberately ambiguous) in his use of language as a professional media department.

I hope I’m wrong. I’m not certain that NP will sort things out at City, but I don’t have great confidence that SL will choose anyone better if NP goes.

41 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

That is possibly the oddest bit of communication the club has ever done 

Why So?..............Personally the announcement after 6 weeks that Holden was to be manager was the weirdest thing i have ever seen on the official site ?;

34 minutes ago, Olé said:

As we can only speculate I see this a very different way to those who say this is a positive sign.

It there was a deal to be done I don't think you need to rush this non-story out. However if there isn't a deal to be done and you feel there is a risk of NP speaking off the cuff in his press conference later today about it, then rushing out a non-story like this is precisely what you do to "get ahead of the story" and plant the seed that you've done your best.

Just how I'm reading it...

A similar thing crossed my mind. It could also suggest SL hasn’t come to a decision and is buying time 

22 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

A win or draw today and I think it's safe to assume he's officially announced early next week reading between the lines...............

Feel sorry for NP if he’s relying on the current bunch of incumbents to get the result he needs for an official announcement,onto the next due diligence............

8 minutes ago, lager loud said:

I read it exactly as you do: it doesn’t say it was a positive, or constructive, discussion. And “beneficial to both of us” could very easily mean “we both know we have to plan without each other for next season”.

If that had come from a Press Department I’d have no doubt that was what was meant ‘between the lines’; I guess NP may not be quite so precise (or deliberately ambiguous) in his use of language as a professional media department.

I hope I’m wrong. I’m not certain that NP will sort things out at City, but I don’t have great confidence that SL will choose anyone better if NP goes.

image.png.6d58d2b038e6586c402dd8ce1dc3e744.pngimage.png.bdcf353c70cbd3cc48cd099c30877468.png

I think NP's comments to Gregor this morning are slightly more positive..............

Just now, WirralRobin said:

image.png.6d58d2b038e6586c402dd8ce1dc3e744.pngimage.png.bdcf353c70cbd3cc48cd099c30877468.png

He might be intentionally reticent there but he makes it sound like he still has to prove himself before the end of the season. "Results aren't good enough" and "a lot to be discussed" don't sound like pre-announcement comments, but hopefully he's just throwing us off the scent!

7 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

I think NP's comments to Gregor this morning are slightly more positive..............

Agree. The rest of the quotes from the press conference are positive as well.  My reading is also that we need to be mathematically safe from relegation before they will make the appointment. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bizarre isn't it, I can't really work out what the thinking is behind it. Despite the protests of some, the club aren't obliged to keep fans updated on minutiae like this and usually only provide updates when they need to. 

Good they've met I suppose. I imagine if Pearson definitely wasn't staying they wouldn't release this so that's a good thing. 

Sorry Phileas, but given. SL has said he won't appoint until he has met people F2F and the fact that almost everything with the club is up in the air at the moment, I don't consider this particular issue to be minute.  The fact that they have finally met is enormously important given it was a SL pre-requisite, and the reporting that it has happened but nothing else, is, to put it mildly disappointing.  We should not be told everything, but they could and should have done better than this.

Just now, Red_Alligator said:

I don't think NP fancies the job long-term.

Both agree that results on the field have not been good enough.

They have discussed what might be needed to address this, as well as a number of other issues, and they are unable to come to an agreement that suits both. 

Are you making assumptions or did you morph into a fly and settled on the wall?

Just now, Red_Alligator said:

They have discussed what might be needed to address this, as well as a number of other issues, and they are unable to come to an agreement that suits both. 

I think he does fancy it but cannot get assurances from SL on funding and control.  SL probably questioning the results and performances under NP's stewardship too and feeling less than enamoured. 

Meeting is a start, but if NP has laid it out how he believes things need to be for the club to progress next season then I can't see SL making an immediate decision on that front. Look how long they messed around before appointing Holden. 

Reckon SL will boot it around in his head for a bit before deciding to either back NP or bin him. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Are you making assumptions or did you morph into a fly and settled on the wall?

No inside knowledge involved, although who wouldn't want to be that fly?! It's just my impression of the situation. 

I'd be quite happy to be wrong. My track record on this is good and to be honest I'm still reeling from my efforts surrounding the Hughton thing.

1 hour ago, WirralRobin said:

A win or draw today and I think it's safe to assume he's officially announced early next week reading between the lines...............

I doubt either TBH but your enthusiasm is commendable.

For now let's just concentrate on the Gas

Fans are so frustrating.

They just whine. Just whine into the void incessantly. This is what you wanted, an update when there’s either nothing really to update you on or the club aren’t willing to update you. So here you are, here’s your there’s no real update update.

Seems pretty clear Pearson wants the job, as it seems pretty clear Lansdown is asking him, justifiably, to explain why things haven’t gone as well as expected.

As things stand I imagine he’ll be announced longer term as soon as we’re mathematically safe. That way the club, even if results are still poor, can take a fresh era, clean slate, be part of cleaning out the deadwood season ticket selling angle.

Even if we lose every remaining game guaranteeing survival will be a huge relief, Pearson can start the proper tough talking, fans will be swept up, in part through relief. Why waste the one thing that fans are clinging to in this mess of a season, why would you possibly announce it after an injury time 2-1 loss vs Wycombe.

I would be absolutely stunned if Pearson and Lansdown/the club have not made a decision either way.

25 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

You should get a job at the "Sun".....they also never let the truth get in the way of a good story.................As Manuel said once "I know nothing "    and neither do you  ?

Archived