IGNORED

Barnsley

BRISTOL86

Win today and they’re in the playoffs (not technically, but 99.9% certainty if they win today)

Fair play to them. Would love to see another unfashionable, ‘small’ club surpass us (again) and give our owners the kick up the arse they so sorely need, will be rooting for them 100% in the playoffs against the big boys (a laughable term to apply to Bournemouth, Swansea and Brentford but it is what it is!)

I don't watch many games we aren't involved in, but I saw a couple of their games last year. The pressing attitude and team ethic is brilliant and a joy to watch. Someone said on here they have a plan , they recruit to that plan even in as much as the manager must suit the role. All things we haven't had for some time.
I have no great love for them, but they are light years ahead of us in set up and organisation.

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Win today and they’re in the playoffs (not technically, but 99.9% certainty if they win today)

Fair play to them. Would love to see another unfashionable, ‘small’ club surpass us (again) and give our owners the kick up the arse they so sorely need, will be rooting for them 100% in the playoffs against the big boys (a laughable term to apply to Bournemouth, Swansea and Brentford but it is what it is!)

You think Barnsley being successful will give SL a kick up the ass? Really? I'm not sure how another so called smaller club with less money bypassing will do that, considering it's happened so many times under his tenure. 

And they finished 21st last season staying up on the last day of the season. Two years ago, they were in L1.

This season, Barnsley have outperformed Johnson and Johnson here, father and son's best points haul being 74 and 70 respectively. 

No Bristol City team in Steve Landown’s time owning this club have been as good as this season's Barnsley. 

And Barnsley are owned, organised and coached by people from overseas who are new to the game in this country.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

About 2/3rds of the clubs above us are smaller than us and Barnsley aren't even the smallest club in the play offs.

Disagree, it’s the age old “define bigger” debate but almost of those clubs have been consistently higher placed than us for years 

14 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

And they finished 21st last season staying up on the last day of the season. Two years ago, they were in L1.

This season, Barnsley have outperformed Johnson and Johnson here, father and son's best points haul being 74 and 70 respectively. 

No Bristol City team in Steve Landown’s time owning this club have been as good as this season's Barnsley. 

And Barnsley are owned, organised and coached by people from overseas who are new to the game in this country.

Yep - it's why our "season on season progress" meant pretty much bugger all to me.

Finishing 8th instead of 20th? Yeah fair enough I guess.

Finishing 8th instead of 11th with 3 more points? Meh.

As has been said many times on here, it is not about Barnsley. When the EPL was set up it was intended to be like this week's first attempt by the ESL to assess opinions, opposition etc then press ahead with what the wealthy owners wanted out of their investments. The EPL then wanted exclusivity (no relegation) and due to other clubs outside that 'elite' bunch they compromised to allow relegation with massive parachutes so you could help the  boing boing clubs like Baggies and other clubs going down then up. So what is happening 20+ years later on is that Watford, Norwich (and probably Swansea or Bomo) go straight back to this 'ESL-type' protected environment of foreign clubs, with foreign owners and foreign managers with foreign players all taking advantage of English fans who can make some atmosphere.

Barnsley have 1 chance in 4 of going up now. Fulham, Baggies and (maybe Sheff U) will be able to keep their EPL squads to go back up next season.

Bristol City will then have one chance in 22 of making the third spot so success for us probably means staying in the Championship and reducing our losses by selling our best players

Valerian Ismael and their forward-thinking board have been a revelation. They didn’t wait 6 weeks to appoint Struber’s assistant after the Austrian went to NYRB. They had a clear succession plan and the process took little over 2 weeks. Good on them. 

39 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

And I’m bloody angry about it.  I can accept Brentford, as they’ve grown their model, and got into the playoffs.  But Barnsley?  Shows how you can get it right.

43 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

This says it all for me. I can’t stand Barnsley but fair play to them, they have shown our owner how it is done and let this be a lesson to our fans who think Steve is the messiah for this football club, he certainly ain’t.. 

13 minutes ago, tin said:

Valerian Ismael and their forward-thinking board have been a revelation. They didn’t wait 6 weeks to appoint Struber’s assistant after the Austrian went to NYRB. They had a clear succession plan and the process took little over 2 weeks. Good on them. 

Absolutely, Ismael qualified for the Champions League last season with an Austrian club yet I’ll guarantee he was unknown to 99% of people over here.

They have done remarkably well & fully deserve to be top six.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely, Ismael qualified for the Champions League last season with an Austrian club yet I’ll guarantee he was unknown to 99% of people over here.

Spot on, although there was one poster on here who put him up to be LJ’s successor last summer. Kudos to them. I must admit I remember him briefly playing for Palace, but was unaware of his managerial exploits. 

14 minutes ago, tin said:

Spot on, although there was one poster on here who put him up to be LJ’s successor last summer. Kudos to them. I must admit I remember him briefly playing for Palace, but was unaware of his managerial exploits. 

Even if Ismael was available Ashton wouldn’t have considered him to be a better manager than Dean Holden. ?

Agreed a great team/club performance or over-achievement, whichever way you like to look at it. If they go up (which they wont) they will have the most horrendous experience of being hammered every week. If they dont win the 1-in4 lottery they will start again in August in the same position as us and say that over the past 3 seasons they havent done as well as BCFC (so Bris Red can stick his time-limited analysis where the sun dont shine). 

They appear to have made a very good managerial appointment in the past few months and we have done that on many occasions too in the past 20 years. The problem is with football that things change and from being a very hopeful fan one can soon become disillusioned as the vast majority of teams in any division 'fail' in the eyes of their forum supporters EVERY SINGLE year

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly, this is why I don’t get the argument of ‘name someone else better than Pearson’ when it’s suggested he might not be the best possible candidate for our permanent position. 

Archived