IGNORED

Social media boycott

E.G.Red

59 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good but why?

Premier League, English Football League and Women's Super League clubs will join in a four-day boycott of social media platforms in an effort to combat abuse and discrimination.

To be brutally honest, I don’t really see the point. 
If someone is gonna be a *** on Twitter then they’ll still be a *** 4 days later. 
Surely better to catch the ***** and properly punish them. 
This isn’t an ‘education’ or ‘awareness’ issue. Everyone knows racism is wrong. It’s a punishment issue. Make sure people don’t get away with it. This seems more an action that brushes it under the carpet. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

If someone is gonna be a *** on Twitter then they’ll still be a *** 4 days later. 
This isn’t an ‘education’ or ‘awareness’ issue. Everyone knows racism is wrong. It’s a punishment issue. Make sure people don’t get away with it. This seems more an action that brushes it under the carpet. 

Isn't it to put pressure on the social media platforms to stamp down on vile comments? It's saying to Twitter, if you don't regulate this, you'll lose a shitload of traffic, I think.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

The problem with Twitter atm is that it is hard to catch many of these people with anonymous user names. Isn’t that the issue the clubs are campaigning against?

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Isn't it to put pressure on the social media platforms to stamp down on vile comments? It's saying to Twitter, if you don't regulate this, you'll lose a shitload of traffic, I think.

But Twitter know it’s only temporary. 4 days. They aren’t gonna lose much. 
There’s no reason the police can’t instruct Twitter to give them the IP address of any wrong doers and nick them. 
Turning it off for 4 days does nothing to combat racism. 

Probably a poor comparison, but you remember during lockdown in the US, there were no mass shootings. Then, when they re-open there’s been at least 1 mass shooting every bloody day. 
People know it’s wrong but it happens anyway. There is already regulation but it happens anyway. 
Closing something down for 4 days will prevent nothing. Punishment is required, not education, or regulation. These perpetrators can be found, so find them and punish them. 

Waste of time, until they take away the anonymity of the user it won't make any difference. 

If users had to properly ID register with ALL platforms, so no one platform had an advantage, they would think twice about the crap they post, platforms don't want full registration as it would be a shite load of hassle for them and cost them money. 

Something wrong with the law when it's cheaper for Facebook, Twitter etc to suck up these boycotts and fines they may incur rather than keep their house in order. Whack em with enormous fines and penalties for the garbage their users are posting and then we'll see how quick the problem gets sorted then. 

• SC&T Board Members
46 minutes ago, Harry said:

There’s no reason the police can’t instruct Twitter to give them the IP address of any wrong doers and nick them. 

Probably a poor comparison, but you remember during lockdown in the US, there were no mass shootings. Then, when they re-open there’s been at least 1 mass shooting every bloody day. 
People know it’s wrong but it happens anyway. There is already regulation but it happens anyway. 
Closing something down for 4 days will prevent nothing. Punishment is required, not education, or regulation. These perpetrators can be found, so find them and punish them. 

4 days in and of itself will clearly not resolve the problem. But surely it is intended to serve as a warning to the likes of Twitter, i.e. to show them how much traffic they would lose if they don't get their house in order and football consequently walked away for longer / forever.

The idea, I'm sure, is to make them realise that their business model relies on people with lots of followers, like clubs and players, to provide content and if they don't work with the authorities to sort out racism on their platform, that free content may desert them permanently.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I agree it’s not going to solve it. I don’t really think that’s the expectation. I think it’s more about raising the profile and putting pressure on those who can to do something about it, whether that’s catching people or stopping them getting that airtime in the first place. (A bit like, dare I say it, taking the knee). So in that sense it certainly isn’t brushing it under the carpet.

Does everyone think it’s wrong? If so, why do they do it? I think it’s been legitimised in some minds over the last few years, and some people now think it’s acceptable. Not just football mind. 

I presume the media coverage will do more than the boycott itself?

Whay, 4 days? That alone would achieve nothing. 

If I was on a social media platform receiving racist abuse I'd just leave indefinitely as it is inherently a stupid, and insecure place to be when you have a high profile. I've been on there in the past promoting the values of disabled people, got daily abuse from the right wing and decided there was no point engaging with polarised people. My time was better placed elsewhere. 

There will never be social media without racism. It can be improved but, due to the nature of technology and its international distribution, I don't see it changing much.

In some cases, is it the egos of some people that means they can't bear to leave?

I'm not saying they should have to, but 4 days? Just switch off until Facebook et al change/improve things. You won't change cowards, ever. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

And therein is half the problem. If the person dishing out abuse is in Thailand, connecting via a VPN in Russia,where do you start?l with justice? 

To some people this is fun. 

It's like removing a bucket of water from a well thinking you'll empty it. There's always more to take its place. 

1 minute ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Its words on a screen. If i dont like what i see i just turn it off. 

Why should people be racially abused just for having a social media account? Why should they have to leave social media rather than having the people sending the messages dealt with properly?

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I guess this is a warning shot. Don't get me wrong, I think a blanket boycott would be better. Will fans be willing to boycott social media? Most probably won't. I haven't yet!

14 minutes ago, TomF said:

4 days, meh.  If they really wanted action they’d stop posting till they got what they wanted. 

Every time I hear anyone complain (rightly so) about abuse on facebook and twitter et al, I think "why are you till on those platforms?"  Clubs continue run official twitter and instagram accounts whilst their players are being abused, and abused players maintain their social media accounts. 4 days is like withholding sexual privileges from a partner who has cheated on you for the weekend. They won't even notice it.

Get off them for good, or at least until and unless they can verify their users allowing enforcement action to be taken when necessary.

7 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Every time I hear anyone complain (rightly so) about abuse on facebook and twitter et al, I think "why are you till on those platforms?"  Clubs continue run official twitter and instagram accounts whilst their players are being abused, and abused players maintain their social media accounts. 4 days is like withholding sexual privileges from a partner who has cheated on you for the weekend. They won't even notice it.

Get off them for good, or at least until and unless they can verify their users allowing enforcement action to be taken when necessary.

Basically we're all hypocrites.

If social media is so wrong, why do WE refuse to do something about it?

38 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Respectfully, that's just silly. 

If I get racist abuse out on a Bristol Street, I just stop going to that street? 

Not a great analogy at all. 

You know there are plenty of “no go areas” in the world. These places you cannot go just because the colour of your skin or your religion, or will suffer serious physical consequenses.

Archived