IGNORED

Social media boycott

E.G.Red

It’s definitely not just football that attracts these kinds of comments, ANY tweet or discussion can illicit direct abuse just because of a difference of opinion. This includes death threats as well as racist and sexist abuse. Twitter has protected categories which doesn’t actually help if abuse is coming from one of those sectors. I try to keep to just football and Bristol City as other realms of discussion are occasionally just vile pits of spite, vitriol and nastiness. It’s not a left/right issue there’s plenty of vileness on both sides. 
I’ve just deactivated my Facebook page because I’m fed up of the negativity and nonsense from people I actually know! ?

Twitter and YouTube really need to take responsibility.

Public figures are correct in pointing out wrongdoing, but they exhibit a huge amount of ignorance for what the problem is or how to fix it. 

Expecting the entire globe (this isn't a UK-only issue) to see the error of their bigoted ways and change is fanciful. Accept that won't work and move on to a more pragmatic fix.

The way to address this is for social media platforms to hugely improve their own security and filtering, approval and gatekeeping, and automatically informing law enforcement (where at all possible). This latter point being debatable about its effectiveness. 

Even so, this will only have limited impact. The next level is for individuals to improve and better understand their own security and visibility of what they want to see or exclude. 

You won't change people (not all of them), you have to change the environment in which they operate. 

We didn't reduce bank robberies by asking nicely, we improved security and infrastructure. We don't reduce shoplifting by asking nicely, we introduced CCTV. 

Of course, I understand that Facebook et al can ignore any legal requirement to make change, by moving servers etc, and clearly we don't want blanked filtering of sites akin to China, albeit VPNs could circumvent this somewhat. 

37 minutes ago, mozo said:

Basically we're all hypocrites.

If social media is so wrong, why do WE refuse to do something about it?

I'm don't use them, but I think I still technically have a twitter account. I post on this site and very occassionally on avforums or hotukdeals, none of which suffer the kind of racists of the main social media platforms. I'm not saying otib is perfect, but as far as I can see the abuse* of players on here has nothing to do with their race.

(edit: *well thought out critique)

10 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Not a great analogy at all. 

You know there are plenty of “no go areas” in the world. These places you cannot go just because the colour of your skin or your religion, or will suffer serious physical consequenses.

It's a perfect analogy. 

Who mentioned no-go areas?

If I'm disabled and I get abuse for being in a wheelchair every time I use a specific street, should I just use a different, parallel street? 

You don't have to dig in, you can say "do you know what, I hadn't thought about it like that". 

5 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

What are we refusing to do? 

What I'm saying is, if we think clubs should boycott social media for more than the token 4 days, maybe we should first plan a mass long term boycott from fans and anyone that thinks enough is enough re abuse on social media.

4 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'm don't use them, but I think I still technically have a twitter account. I post on this site and very occassionally on avforums or hotukdeals, none of which suffer the kind of racists of the main social media platforms. I'm not saying otib is perfect, but as far as I can see the abuse* of players on here has nothing to do with their race.

(edit: *well thought out critique)

That's fine but people like me that occasionally check Facebook and Twitter should take a stand and say, no I'm not using your site at all until you eradicate this vile problem. 

Archived