Jump to content
IGNORED

Match day thread Luton Town


Recommended Posts

FWIW I’m still very much in favour of Pearson being appointed and given the opportunity to get on with the job in hand. That’s clearer to me after today.

The first half was just about as good as we’ve been all season. This without many key players.

The problem is one of mentality among the senior players. There are no leaders there. We wilt under pressure, and as soon as the first goal went in we could all see what would happen.

 I would trust NP to rebuild the squad and get the right sort of characters in. To be fair to DH I think it’s something he recognised and tried to address with the signings of Williams and Martin.
 

I think the question we should be asking is not ‘How well has NP done with this joke of a squad?’ but ‘Who do you want to be in charge of rebuilding the squad?’

NP for me!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I would have preferred that we hadn't signed Simpson.

I am convinced that we should appoint Pearson. 

Supporters have been crying out for a proven manager with experience of getting to the PL for years. Now we have got one. 

But now people want to bin him off before he even has a transfer window.

It's madness.

Its the Bristol City mentallity.....also the type of mentallity thats plagues the city of Bristol as a whole, deep down, always happy to be a backwater.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Is there a post match interview with the manager?  Can't seem to find anything.

Edit: Sorry, just up. Tells us very little other than we were crap again and need to do something about it (which anyone could say TBH). 

What exactly would you like him to say Wendy?

I thought his interview was as usually candid as it normally is and I really find that an enormously refreshing return to when Cotts was manager. I like Pearson's interviews far more than Cotts as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want Pearson to stay, I’d like to see him have a crack with a pre-season, his own staff and his own squad but I’m still very disappointed with the lack of impact he’s had. I suspect he himself is very disappointed.

Given the results, even with the mitigating circumstances, you can hardly blame those  that are questioning him, including Steve Lansdown.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I want Pearson to stay, I’d like to see him have a crack with a pre-season, his own staff and his own squad but I’m still very disappointed with the lack of impact he’s had. I suspect he himself is very disappointed.

Given the results, even with the mitigating circumstances, you can hardly blame those  that are questioning him, including Steve Lansdown.

but the players just aren't good enough  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Rob k said:

We had lost 6 games in a row, had barley scored a goal, so yes, in my opinion NP had done what was needed. I’ve no idea what your expectations were but for me he’s done what I’d hope he’d do 

I expected him to win as many games as we lost.  That didn’t seem unreasonable for a new manager.  In 13 games something like W5 D4 L4 might have been acceptable, for instance.  Pearson has delivered W2 D3 L8, which I’m afraid equates to relegation form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I expected him to win as many games as we lost.  That didn’t seem unreasonable for a new manager.  In 13 games something like W5 D4 L4 might have been acceptable, for instance.  Pearson has delivered W2 D3 L8, which I’m afraid equates to relegation form.

I should add that I was really excited when Pearson came in.  I was aware of his track record (though a bit nervous of his capacity to fall out with people, and his habit of getting sacked even while doing reasonably well) but I though he might instil discipline and really motivate the players and make them believe in themselves. Sadly that hasn’t happened and the dreadful results coupled with his rather dour and uninspiring comments have made me question whether he is the right man for the future.  Nothing personal (I’ve met the man once and talked to him and found him personable and interesting) but it just isn’t working.  I don’t feel we have a bad squad, but for some reason they have lost self-belief and Pearson doesn’t seem able to help them get it back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn't disagree more with the Pearson sceptics. Listening to his post-match interview he said everything that needed to be said.

He knows exactly what needs to be done. It's absurd to assess him on performances from this squad...a bunch of journeymen, crocks or kids. It's remarkable that we've not been relegated. 

Responsibility lies with those who dismantled the squad of winners we had a few years back and recruited this bunch. Take a bow, Lee, Mark and above all Steve.

I'm expecting Pearson to be appointed. If Lansdown can't make that decision he'd better have a good alternative. The chickens have all come home to roost. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

At this moment, I’m not really concerned whether NP is the right man for the job or not. I’m quite certain that he has the personality and mentality to make these players lives miserable on a day to day basis and, results aside, that’s good enough for me.

He's sounding exactly like John Sheriden was a bully getting old and behind the times 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I should add that I was really excited when Pearson came in.  I was aware of his track record (though a bit nervous of his capacity to fall out with people, and his habit of getting sacked even while doing reasonably well) but I though he might instil discipline and really motivate the players and make them believe in themselves. Sadly that hasn’t happened and the dreadful results coupled with his rather dour and uninspiring comments have made me question whether he is the right man for the future.  Nothing personal (I’ve met the man once and talked to him and found him personable and interesting) but it just isn’t working.  I don’t feel we have a bad squad, but for some reason they have lost self-belief and Pearson doesn’t seem able to help them get it back.

So i will ask you as nobody else is answering the question - if NP can’t get anything out of This squad, who is the man? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nigel was appointed to stop us getting relegated, job done. Now Steve has to go with what Nigel needs even if it upsets some of Steve's friends. We have to get the background team, coaches, medical team etc. On the pitch Nigel needs to get some taller no nonsense central defenders. plus another six players that could play at the level of a top six championship team. He needs a new captain and a new assistant manager. A big task indeed then and only then can we start dreaming about the top six.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any manager coming into this mess would have to go through the same bedding in period that Pearson is experiencing right now. 

If offered a deal to stay and he accepts that would surely show he is up to the challenge of trying to sort this shambles of a squad and its mentality out. 

Yes we have not played well under Pearson but we haven't played well under any manager since the first half of the 17/18 season so I don't see why people are going after our performances when we haven't deserved to win many games in years bar smash and grab results where it is debatable whether we deserve the points or not. I could name countless games where it has been like that home and away.

I want this whole cosy mentality where everyone is safe to be binned and to see people fighting for the badge and not just pondering around waiting for the next paycheck. 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

" a breath of fresh air"? 

Appoint Scott Murray.

Much as Scott has been a great servant to the club he also embodies the 'comfy club' malaise. Probably time for him to go to if we are having a new broom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What are you on about? What’s he said remotely similar to the tosser you had managing you?

You're right he was a complete tosser. Did you lose today because the team dosen't have a group mentality as that's what he mentions a few times in his post match interview? Also his past similar to Sheridens as behind the scenes both are know as bully boys 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

For the record, I don't think we should have signed Simpson.

Because he assaulted his partner.

I also am pretty convinced we shouldn't appoint Pearson, although I was pleased when he arrived.

And it's not because if Simpson.

It's because we're still terrible. 

Maybe NP is getting the max from them. Maybe DH did too. 

I'm starting to feel that way. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Agreed. Next season's priority is to stay up and consolidate.

Then given three transfer windows, For the 2022/23 NP should have the team of his choice and (hopefully) give us something to celebrate.

I agree with you but this shows how bad thing have been allowed to become. For all the talk of pushing for promotion, we’re at the stage where consolidation to avoid relegation is the new objective. The signs have been there for a long time but have been ignored 

53 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Nigel was appointed to stop us getting relegated, job done. Now Steve has to go with what Nigel needs even if it upsets some of Steve's friends. We have to get the background team, coaches, medical team etc. On the pitch Nigel needs to get some taller no nonsense central defenders. plus another six players that could play at the level of a top six championship team. He needs a new captain and a new assistant manager. A big task indeed then and only then can we start dreaming about the top six.

Agreed. This is not the time for rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic as it sinks. Strong action is required from Steve Lansdown to sort out the mess . 

  • Like 2
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Maybe NP is getting the max from them. Maybe DH did too. 

I'm starting to feel that way. 

I don’t think Holden was the right appointment last summer but I’m beginning to feel sorry for him. He inherited a misfit bunch of players who couldn’t punch their way out of a paper bag. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Much as Scott has been a great servant to the club he also embodies the 'comfy club' malaise. Probably time for him to go to if we are having a new broom

Who will do the laundry ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

What exactly would you like him to say Wendy?

I thought his interview was as usually candid as it normally is and I really find that an enormously refreshing return to when Cotts was manager. I like Pearson's interviews far more than Cotts as well. 

I suppose I was hoping he would tell us what he really thought of the shambles of a team he had inherited Hav, but then I guess he would be fired if he said that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

‘keeping us up’?  Pearson’s record in his 13 games it’s exactly the same as Dean Holden’s in his last 13 league games, and at least Holden added a couple of FA Cup wins during that time.  I don’t consider that failing to improve on the previous manager’s record constitutes ‘keeping us up’.

I have no idea who should be appointed, but we need an injection of ideas, of energy and of resilience, and I don’t see Pearson delivering that.  I don’t follow the European game, but other clubs (for instance, Watford this season) seem to be able to unearth coaches who can take their clubs forward.

Great comparison.......... Watfords squad  is worth over 3 or 4 times the value of our's , and they have a forward who cost over £30 million.  `If the Watford coach cannot get them into the top 6 they really DO have a problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I suppose I was hoping he would tell us what he really thought of the shambles of a team he had inherited Hav, but then I guess he would be fired if he said that.

He has more or less, he only rates HNM and the quality of the youth coming through. And he’s can’t make an assessment on the players that haven’t been fit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Great comparison.......... Watfords squad  is worth over 3 or 4 times the value of our's , and they have a forward who cost over £30 million.  `If the Watford coach cannot get them into the top 6 they really DO have a problem?

True only if they buy in the coaches philosophy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...