IGNORED

Match day thread Luton Town

Any manager coming into this mess would have to go through the same bedding in period that Pearson is experiencing right now. 

If offered a deal to stay and he accepts that would surely show he is up to the challenge of trying to sort this shambles of a squad and its mentality out. 

Yes we have not played well under Pearson but we haven't played well under any manager since the first half of the 17/18 season so I don't see why people are going after our performances when we haven't deserved to win many games in years bar smash and grab results where it is debatable whether we deserve the points or not. I could name countless games where it has been like that home and away.

I want this whole cosy mentality where everyone is safe to be binned and to see people fighting for the badge and not just pondering around waiting for the next paycheck. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

" a breath of fresh air"? 

Appoint Scott Murray.

Much as Scott has been a great servant to the club he also embodies the 'comfy club' malaise. Probably time for him to go to if we are having a new broom

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What are you on about? What’s he said remotely similar to the tosser you had managing you?

You're right he was a complete tosser. Did you lose today because the team dosen't have a group mentality as that's what he mentions a few times in his post match interview? Also his past similar to Sheridens as behind the scenes both are know as bully boys 

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

For the record, I don't think we should have signed Simpson.

Because he assaulted his partner.

I also am pretty convinced we shouldn't appoint Pearson, although I was pleased when he arrived.

And it's not because if Simpson.

It's because we're still terrible. 

Maybe NP is getting the max from them. Maybe DH did too. 

I'm starting to feel that way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Agreed. Next season's priority is to stay up and consolidate.

Then given three transfer windows, For the 2022/23 NP should have the team of his choice and (hopefully) give us something to celebrate.

I agree with you but this shows how bad thing have been allowed to become. For all the talk of pushing for promotion, we’re at the stage where consolidation to avoid relegation is the new objective. The signs have been there for a long time but have been ignored 

53 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Nigel was appointed to stop us getting relegated, job done. Now Steve has to go with what Nigel needs even if it upsets some of Steve's friends. We have to get the background team, coaches, medical team etc. On the pitch Nigel needs to get some taller no nonsense central defenders. plus another six players that could play at the level of a top six championship team. He needs a new captain and a new assistant manager. A big task indeed then and only then can we start dreaming about the top six.

Agreed. This is not the time for rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic as it sinks. Strong action is required from Steve Lansdown to sort out the mess . 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

43 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Maybe NP is getting the max from them. Maybe DH did too. 

I'm starting to feel that way. 

I don’t think Holden was the right appointment last summer but I’m beginning to feel sorry for him. He inherited a misfit bunch of players who couldn’t punch their way out of a paper bag. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Much as Scott has been a great servant to the club he also embodies the 'comfy club' malaise. Probably time for him to go to if we are having a new broom

Who will do the laundry ?

1 minute ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Probably move one of the 'conditioning coaches' onto washing the jock straps. Can probably do less damage there

No, they'd mix the colours and whites then wash at 90°.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

What exactly would you like him to say Wendy?

I thought his interview was as usually candid as it normally is and I really find that an enormously refreshing return to when Cotts was manager. I like Pearson's interviews far more than Cotts as well. 

I suppose I was hoping he would tell us what he really thought of the shambles of a team he had inherited Hav, but then I guess he would be fired if he said that.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

‘keeping us up’?  Pearson’s record in his 13 games it’s exactly the same as Dean Holden’s in his last 13 league games, and at least Holden added a couple of FA Cup wins during that time.  I don’t consider that failing to improve on the previous manager’s record constitutes ‘keeping us up’.

I have no idea who should be appointed, but we need an injection of ideas, of energy and of resilience, and I don’t see Pearson delivering that.  I don’t follow the European game, but other clubs (for instance, Watford this season) seem to be able to unearth coaches who can take their clubs forward.

Great comparison.......... Watfords squad  is worth over 3 or 4 times the value of our's , and they have a forward who cost over £30 million.  `If the Watford coach cannot get them into the top 6 they really DO have a problem?

33 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I suppose I was hoping he would tell us what he really thought of the shambles of a team he had inherited Hav, but then I guess he would be fired if he said that.

He has more or less, he only rates HNM and the quality of the youth coming through. And he’s can’t make an assessment on the players that haven’t been fit.

29 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Great comparison.......... Watfords squad  is worth over 3 or 4 times the value of our's , and they have a forward who cost over £30 million.  `If the Watford coach cannot get them into the top 6 they really DO have a problem?

True only if they buy in the coaches philosophy.

Not seen the game today, but watched some Sky Sports highlights and match reports.

What the hell happened?? From what I've read and the little I've seen we were good first half- collapsed did we?

First goal especially looked quite nice- their first two goals in particular were abysmal to concede- will watch again but I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing.

Nagy as an RM? Well not my idea of moving forward but his numbers are good albeit just 2 game sample size- goal and 2 assists in that time.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

10 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Kalas was marking 2 men there .

Kalas was nowhere near tight enough for Luton’s second.  Tight marking we would of not conceded. The 3rd he wasn’t tight enough again. He is not marking the man behind. Bakinson should of dropped with HNM dropping on to cover Bakinsons man. In fact all Luton’s goal were down to poor marking not great play. Rowe for the 1st he was miles away from his man.  Defence needs to be tighter.

10 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Kalas was marking 2

1 hour ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Kalas was nowhere near tight enough for Luton’s second.  Tight marking we would of not conceded. The 3rd he wasn’t tight enough again. He is not marking the man behind. Bakinson should of dropped with HNM dropping on to cover Bakinsons man. In fact all Luton’s goal were down to poor marking not great play. Rowe for the 1st he was miles away from his man.  Defence needs to be tighter.

I’m not disagreeing . But just saying he’s not the only one at fault for the third . All the goals are park football standard defending . The amount of time they had to get the ball in for the second . No closing down at all. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Not sure about that, you need a blend across the club of experience and different backgrounds, would you get rid of Tinnion as well for the same reasons?

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m not disagreeing . But just saying he’s not the only one at fault for the third . All the goals are park football standard defending . The amount of time they had to get the ball in for the second . No closing down at all. 

Stopping crosses coming into the box is a massive, massive weakness of ours. A Toolstation League Manager could watch a couple of videos of us and spot that quick enough. Sometimes as a defender you have to take the odd ball in the mush to stop it arriving into the danger area. The likes of Rowe and Sessegnon don't seem to fancy putting that "work" in for some reason. If I was Bentley I would be raging about it.......and no doubt he has been to no avail.

‘We’ve got a lot to learn going into next season, that’s for sure’ Taylor Moore when the final whistle blew on Saturday.

Some of what we have got to learn you would probably consider to be the basics (as per the three goals we conceded against Luton) such as marking a team’s top scorer when they have a corner, closing down a midfield opponent to prevent them time and space to pick a pass. Other basics include passing to one of our players and retaining the ball from our throw ins.

NP has also spoken consistently about player’s attitude and professionalism needing to change and how too many go missing, don’t do what has been discussed and are unable to manage opponents well enough.

Although these are all basic elements of being a professional footballer our players certainly need to learn them very quickly.

These are not new failings, what is new is that we currently have a manager who talks about them and is prepared to solve them.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Stopping crosses coming into the box is a massive, massive weakness of ours. A Toolstation League Manager could watch a couple of videos of us and spot that quick enough. Sometimes as a defender you have to take the odd ball in the mush to stop it arriving into the danger area. The likes of Rowe and Sessegnon don't seem to fancy putting that "work" in for some reason. If I was Bentley I would be raging about it.......and no doubt he has been to no avail.

It seems to be going out of the game in general . I played left back most of my footballing years & defending came first , even fullbacks in a back 4 are expected to bomb forward now. It would be good to know of teams with a stop the cross mentality but you don’t see it much . 

27 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It seems to be going out of the game in general . I played left back most of my footballing years & defending came first , even fullbacks in a back 4 are expected to bomb forward now. It would be good to know of teams with a stop the cross mentality but you don’t see it much . 

Well teams seem to stop ours.

21 hours ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Or its better to have a couple of employees around who can demonstrate to players just how much the club means to some people, in Tinnion and Murray we have that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Not sure about that, you need a blend across the club of experience and different backgrounds, would you get rid of Tinnion as well for the same reasons?

I understand your reasoning but disagree. It's not about Murray per se but about the jobs for the boys culture. Tinnion at least went abroad and worked away from the environment for a while before coming back. I think there is a little to much sentimentality through the club at times. E.g....Carey was probably here a season too long. Much as it was great that he broke the appearance record, if that wasnt in sight then its doubtful he would have been around the squad etc. Club needs a new broom and outside ideas. Just my opinion.

Edited by Buster Footman's T shirt
Auto correct