IGNORED

We are record breakers. Take a bow .

Major Isewater

It also highlights again that historically we have yo-yo’d between the Championship and League One. Being mid-table in the Championship isn’t disastrous in comparison. And I’ll take a couple more ‘stable’ seasons in the Championship if it leads to promotion rather than relegation back to League One. I really don’t want to go back there again. 

19 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Given a point in time, surely we're one promotion ahead of relegations if we're in the Championship and vice versa if we're in league 1?

Actually, we joined the league system, the first club in the south outside of London by the way, when there were only two tiers therefore we were relegated into the third tier before we were promoted out of it.

We must have been relegated 8 times to have been promoted 8 times.

Any club who joined after 1920 such as the Sags would have to be promoted first before being relegated.

So, we have had 8 relegations and 8 promotions up to this season.

Am i right in saying that after yesterdays mathematical safety we have equalled the last spell of 6 years in the second tier (season 07-08 to 12-13 ) which is a fairly decent stat considering how many years we have floated between tier 3 and tier 2..

When was the last time we spent 7 seasons or more at this level or higher..?

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

Do we also have the record for relegations into the third tier?

Dunno about the record, but City have been relegated to the 3rd tier the same number as promotions; eight.

On a brighter note, we've only been relegated to the fourth tier once.

I

Dunno about just the third tier, but we are nowhere near the most relegated club. That goes to Notts County (to be expected with their age I guess!).

Officially, Notts County are the most frequent yo-yo club, switching divisions a total of 29 times in their history with 13 promotions and 16 relegations.

Promotion years: 1897, 1914, 1923, 1931, 1950, 1960, 1971, 1973, 1981, 1990, 1991, 1998, 2010

Relegation years: 1893, 1913, 1920, 1926, 1930, 1935, 1958, 1959, 1964, 1984, 1985, 1992, 1995, 1997, 2004, 2015, 2019.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo-yo_club

2 hours ago, City oz said:

just shows how crap we are then. If we are famous for being 8 promotions from this low tier of football to the next tier above. 

1) We’re not ‘famous’ for it. We aren’t famous for anything.

2) It could be worse, it could be from the 4th division to the 3rd.

It’s like when City fans mock us winning the Football League Trophy 3 times. Imagine competing in that competition so often and NOT winning it.

2 hours ago, City oz said:

just shows how crap we are then. If we are famous for being 8 promotions from this low tier of football to the next tier above. 

I often think that about our record of winning the Sherpa Vans LDV Auto Windscreen Thingy Cup the most times, is actually nothing to be proud of, since you have to be crap to even enter it, before you even deduct the teams that deliberately lose to get out of it early.

edit. Just seen post above.

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

Promotion years: 1990, 1991, 1998,

Relegation years: 1992, 1995, 1997, 

That's six promotions or relegations in eight years. Did the Season Ticket come with a cardiac warning / anger management counselling? ?

17 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I often think that about our record of winning the Sherpa Vans LDV Auto Windscreen Thingy Cup the most times, is actually nothing to be proud of, since you have to be crap to even enter it, before you even deduct the teams that deliberately lose to get out of it early.

It’s a ‘ nothing cup ‘ for a club of our size but the first time we won it was a fantastic achievement given the difficulties we had overcome.

Then the following were  just a question of a day out at Wembley and a bit of cash for the transfer war chest.

I hope we never play in it again, unless it’s our U23’s but ask any of the boys from the 3-0 win over Bolton and I am certain that they will bear witness to it’s importance to them. 

42 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Yes but we are good at crap?

3 hours ago, bris red said:

Am i right in saying that after yesterdays mathematical safety we have equalled the last spell of 6 years in the second tier (season 07-08 to 12-13 ) which is a fairly decent stat considering how many years we have floated between tier 3 and tier 2..

11 seasons at this level before we were promoted to Div 1 in 1976 (which is why patience at this level is a virtue!) plus the four seasons in Div 1 of course. 

6 hours ago, bris red said:

I think you have to go back to the Alan Dicks era re 7 or more seasons at this level or higher, we go promoted to Div 2 in 64/65 then were in Div 2 from 65/66 to75/6 when we got promoted to Div 1 , got relegated in 79/80 then had one season in Div 2 (80/81) before being relegated to Div 3 - I make that 15 seasons in the top 2 leagues, so this run in the 2nd tier is the best we've done for 40-odd years

22 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think you have to go back to the Alan Dicks era re 7 or more seasons at this level or higher, we go promoted to Div 2 in 64/65 then were in Div 2 from 65/66 to75/6 when we got promoted to Div 1 , got relegated in 79/80 then had one season in Div 2 (80/81) before being relegated to Div 3 - I make that 15 seasons in the top 2 leagues, so this run in the 2nd tier is the best we've done for 40-odd years

Decent. I suppose on a pretty horrendous day for the club the fact this is our best run in the second tier for 40 years is progress that can be quietly celebrated..?

Archived