IGNORED

Are City lucky?

Finley_Smith10

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I love the idea of City fans awaiting months and months to get into the Gate just to boo the team. Beautiful 

Because a year and a quarter of zero pressure on matchdays (aside the gaffer) has worked out so ******* stellar, hasn't it?

1 minute ago, the frampton balti said:

Exactly . We start next season in the championship. Hopefully with a new manager and an ashton gate full of fans and  renewed optimism!?

Exactly this, I said at the beginning of this season that I would take 21st position considering the squad we have, hopefully a new manager wirh his players and better times ahead next year, we are unbelievably fortunate not to be playing 3rd division football next year

I see it completely the other way around - I think this has been one of our most unlucky seasons in all my years following city purely due to the number of injuries!

Take a step back for a second and just think of the key personnel we've been missing for the bulk of the season:

• First choice left back - Jay De Silva - widely regarded as one of the best in league - only been able to start 8 league games all season, was he fully fit for any of them?) - Let's not forget for large chunks of games our 2nd (Rowe), 3rd (Pring), 4th (Nurse) & occasionally even 5th choice (Sessagnon) left backs were not available for selection also!
  • First choice centre back - Nathan Baker - again for me one of the best in the league and complements Kalas perfectly - played 19 mins of championship football all season - we would have conceded so many less goals from set pieces and crosses this season if Baker had been fit imo)
  • Replacement centre back (loaned in to replace Baker)- Alfie Mawson - top championship centre back when fit and showed that in first month or so at the club - Managed just 11 starts before injury hit.
  • Arguably our top 4 first choice central midfielders
    • Joe Williams - our 'big' summer signing with big things expected after a very good season with Wigan last season - 60 mins of Championship football all season)
    • Andreas Weimann - started the season on fire with his energy and attacking threat from midfield, such a key part to our blistering start to the season - 7 Championship games all season  
    • Jamie Paterson - enigmatic ofcourse but another big part of our good start to the the season and with  5 goal involvements (3 goals and 2 assists) in 15 starts for us this season (he surely wasn't fully fit for the later few starts too) - we've surely missed his creativity over recent months
    • Liam Walsh - given the number 8 shirt by Dean Holden who made it clear he wanted Walsh to be a key cog in his midfield and came straight into the starting 11 when fit by Pearson so we know he's highly rated - just one start and 124 mins of Championship football for Liam this season guttingly.
  • Key centre forward - Chris Martin - A bit of an assist machine early in the season, seemingly a great foil for Nakhi Wells, great at bringing others into play, the quality of football we've been able to play has dipped considerably since Martin's injury - just the 20 starts for Chris in the Championship this season.

And this is not mentioning the long term injuries to the likes of O'Dowda, Watkins etc.

I'm convinced if any other team in the league had this number, depth and severity of injuries to such key personnel as we have this season they would also be 15/20 points worse off in the league than they should be and that's exactly the position we're in right now!

3 hours ago, WirralRobin said:

I see it completely the other way around - I think this has been one of our most unlucky seasons in all my years following city purely due to the number of injuries!

Take a step back for a second and just think of the key personnel we've been missing for the bulk of the season:

• First choice left back - Jay De Silva - widely regarded as one of the best in league - only been able to start 8 league games all season, was he fully fit for any of them?) - Let's not forget for large chunks of games our 2nd (Rowe), 3rd (Pring), 4th (Nurse) & occasionally even 5th choice (Sessagnon) left backs were not available for selection also!
  • First choice centre back - Nathan Baker - again for me one of the best in the league and complements Kalas perfectly - played 19 mins of championship football all season - we would have conceded so many less goals from set pieces and crosses this season if Baker had been fit imo)
  • Replacement centre back (loaned in to replace Baker)- Alfie Mawson - top championship centre back when fit and showed that in first month or so at the club - Managed just 11 starts before injury hit.
    • Joe Williams - our 'big' summer signing with big things expected after a very good season with Wigan last season - 60 mins of Championship football all season)
    • Andreas Weimann - started the season on fire with his energy and attacking threat from midfield, such a key part to our blistering start to the season - 7 Championship games all season  
    • Jamie Paterson - enigmatic ofcourse but another big part of our good start to the the season and with  5 goal involvements (3 goals and 2 assists) in 15 starts for us this season (he surely wasn't fully fit for the later few starts too) - we've surely missed his creativity over recent months
    • Liam Walsh - given the number 8 shirt by Dean Holden who made it clear he wanted Walsh to be a key cog in his midfield and came straight into the starting 11 when fit by Pearson so we know he's highly rated - just one start and 124 mins of Championship football for Liam this season guttingly.
  • Key centre forward - Chris Martin - A bit of an assist machine early in the season, seemingly a great foil for Nakhi Wells, great at bringing others into play, the quality of football we've been able to play has dipped considerably since Martin's injury - just the 20 starts for Chris in the Championship this season.

And this is not mentioning the long term injuries to the likes of O'Dowda, Watkins etc.

I'm convinced if any other team in the league had this number, depth and severity of injuries to such key personnel as we have this season they would also be 15/20 points worse off in the league than they should be and that's exactly the position we're in right now!

Perhaps.

In my view a few of them are rather injury prone and having them as key members of a squad is always going to be a gamble - we got lucky with Webster a few years ago, and unlucky this year with others. DaSilva has never started more than 28 games in a season for us. Baker is pretty variable (although not as bad as he's made out to be). Mawson has a pretty awful injury record.

Martin I think we played into the ground early on when he was clearly getting knackered, and the injury was partly down to poor management on our part.

The first choice 4 central midfielders in order - the first had never played for us, the second had pretty much never played in midfield for us before, the third we loaned out for half of last year so it seems wasn't that highly rated, and the fourth has managed less than 20 appearances for us in 4 years. Two of them did well at the start, but I'm not sure it was a sustainable option all year.

There is some bad luck of course, but I think we have an awful habit of always looking at who's out injured and deciding they're actually by chance also the key missing player we need. Then what a surprise, they come back, nothing improves, but it's actually the next injured player who we need to wait for, and so on.

Lucky in two regards, firstly as the OP says, with crowds allowed the atmosphere would have been toxic, 8 defeats in the last 9 home games, those still turning up would be going absolutely mental at the players.

Secondly that 3 teams are so bad that our abysmal 2021 form hasn’t seen us relegated, Wycombe & Rotherham are no surprise but a particular thanks there to Wayne Rooney..

7 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

I can’t even imagine the toxicity that would’ve occurred if there were people in attendance today. 

There would have been zero ‘toxicity’ - our fans just don’t do that ... under another manager/head coach we recently went through an horrendous run which included the most consecutive defeats ever in our history ... the reaction from the fans? A few murmurs of discontent ... nothing that can be described as ‘toxic’ - we just don’t do that, fans of other clubs do and they do it well, but we don’t ...

Looking on the outside we’ve been unlucky with injuries, it’s  been our own fault we’ve not been difficult to beat.

Fans in the stadium would of been booing DH, probably would of been gone earlier.  When NP came in it would of lifted us all and could of put us yet again in a false position.  I’m not happy, we can all see now, where we are.  Nowhere near top 6. 

15 hours ago, WirralRobin said:

I think you're being very generous.

I also think that City are VERY lucky because if fans are allowed back in next season, season ticket sales are going to go through the roof, and the club and the players absolutely do not deserve that.

4 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think you're being very generous.

I also think that City are VERY lucky because if fans are allowed back in next season, season ticket sales are going to go through the roof, and the club and the players absolutely do not deserve that.

What makes you think that?

Archived