IGNORED

Embarrassed by this squad of players

Dynamite Red

I have never felt such contempt and utter embarrassment for this pathetic squad of players, apart from the youngsters I could not care less if they were all released or sold. 

There was a moment in the 2nd half where Conway was trying to gee up his team members, they should be embarrassed that a youth player making his debut is trying to motivate his senior counterparts. Pathetic all of them!

So I could only listen to the game on radio, not watched it. What my concern is, did the players just perform crap in the second half or did NP get out coached at half time? Maybe the Luton boss seen our weaknesses and exploited them in the second half and the players and coaches didn't do enough to react to Lutons changes?

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But SL said our recruitment has been good and Ashton said the squad was good enough for the top 6.

Surely we can't argue with people with their football expertise?

Exactly this. A squad assembled meticulously over several seasons with the aim of a top six finish. That's what we were assured, after seeing the previous one dismantled in the name of good business.

At least we start next season in the Championship, but I fear it will be a struggle to stay there - irrespective of whether it's Nige, Appleton, Klopp or Pep in charge. 

What a shambles and good luck to whoever is in the hot seat next season.

20 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I have never felt such contempt and utter embarrassment for this pathetic squad of players, apart from the youngsters I could not care less if they were all released or sold. 

There was a moment in the 2nd half where Conway was trying to gee up his team members, they should be embarrassed that a youth player making his debut is trying to motivate his senior counterparts. Pathetic all of them!

Think it was more the fact no one was wandering over to take the corner, had we subbed them off? Noticeable that Hunt took the outswinger but Scott then took the next one as an inswinger, both being right footers perhaps Hunt took it because no one was else before they settled on Scott taking set pieces.

5 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Exactly this. A squad assembled meticulously over several seasons with the aim of a top six finish. That's what we were assured, after seeing the previous one dismantled in the name of good business.

At least we start next season in the Championship, but I fear it will be a struggle to stay there - irrespective of whether it's Nige, Appleton, Klopp or Pep in charge. 

What a shambles and good luck to whoever is in the hot seat next season.

Indeed, the squad has got bigger along with the wage bill but the quality has got worse. Which apparently means Ashton did a great job.

Steve's heart and money may be in the right place but his judgement is way off the mark.

It’s hard to see how (whoever is our manager) is gonna sign enough decent players to even compete next season. Almost every position is in need of a major overhaul! There’s been much talk about injuries but let’s be honest, those who have been out are hardly worldies either. Hard to see a way out of this situation other than by spending millions -but with our record even this is no guarantee!! 

11 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

This is a desperately poor squad of players and as much as I have been underwhelmed by NP, I think many are underplaying at just how bad these players are.

They have generally had quite an easy ride this season until now but there are so many lacking in ability and if you have limited ability you should at least have desire. We lack both drastically. I still see plenty on here wanting quite a few of the OOC players to stay beyond this season but these players have collectively been part of the problem the last few years and enough is enough. Is NP the answer? I am unsure, however we need to get rid of as much of this squad as possible. Get rid of the loser and easy street mentality that the majority of them seem to have. Obviously this goes way deeper than just the players but my word these players are gutless.

Whoever has the massive job of turning this around needs to be allowed to do it their way, regardless of if its NP or not. If there are not huge changes in the summer we will go down next season. The 'model' we have adopted and 'recruitment policy' in place has failed massively. I know its all very doom and gloom at present but seriously how fortunate are we to have stayed up? If all of this combined isn't reason to reset and change approach then what is? SL should be seriously alarmed.

I wanted this season to end weeks ago. Embarrassing and laughable sum up the last couple of months. 
if Pearson does wish to stay and he may not , I hope he is given a chance to get players in . We are starting at the bottom of the ladder again and at the moment are in for a couple of years of rebuilding. 
we are laughing like **** at the Gash and I thank the Lord they exist cos at this moment in time we are every bit as bad on the pitch 

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But SL said our recruitment has been good and Ashton said the squad was good enough for the top 6.

Surely we can't argue with people with their football expertise?

I don't question their abilities and they should be good enough to at least challenge for the top 6. The problem is they lack application.

We have 2 current internationals in Nagy and Kalas who, I believe are underperforming by about 70%, totally unacceptable. The experience brought in under Holden appear to be happy picking up their money every week without doing the job they were brought in to do.

My one concern from a club perspective is our underachievement down to contract uncertainty? With so many out of contract at the end of the season and the club not willing to enter into discussions with most of these players until the season ends does that give them incentive enough to give 100%. You could say that they are playing for a new contract but maybe with the uncertainty they've instructed their agents to find them other clubs.

I agree wholeheartedly with the O.P. the performances are embarrassing and I'd like to add the words disgraceful and unprofessional. I'll be glad when this season finally ends and the uncertainty of the managers post is resolved. I hope Pearson or whoever is appointed sorts out the wheat from the chaff. I know loyalty in football is a thing of the past when it comes to moving clubs but I'd hope they can show committed performances whilst they are here.

2 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

It’s hard to see how (whoever is our manager) is gonna sign enough decent players to even compete next season. Almost every position is in need of a major overhaul! There’s been much talk about injuries but let’s be honest, those who have been out are hardly worldies either. Hard to see a way out of this situation other than by spending millions -but with our record even this is no guarantee!! 

We have to assemble a squad to simply survive next season. Nobody will like that but we are at that point. If we achieve that objective then you can think about bringing more quality in and having a crack. Until I see players signed that show me we can compete next season I have no doubt that 18th place will be our ceiling but more realistically bottom of the table.

No leadership, no quality, no organisation, no fitness, senior players like Kalas completely letting us down.........it’s a toxic mix.

I was telling my Mrs about the latest capitulation and our last win at home being JANUARY 26th!!!

She said “God, that’s embarrassing”, at first I agreed, then it hit me, embarrassing was five weeks ago, it has since moved on to Humiliating. 

could there possibly be a worse spectator event right now than a Bristol Derby?

23 minutes ago, Im_over_ere said:

So I could only listen to the game on radio, not watched it. What my concern is, did the players just perform crap in the second half or did NP get out coached at half time? Maybe the Luton boss seen our weaknesses and exploited them in the second half and the players and coaches didn't do enough to react to Lutons changes?

I don't think you have to worry about some tactical stroke of genius to beat this City team of spineless bottlers. You just play determined football and get stuck in and  we crumble. Pathetic. Clear them out. But whatever happens Lansdown get off the bloody pot and sort this mess out. It is down to you Lansdown, now show some leadership and drive to get us on the right path. We cannot afford to follow the  lengthy and time wasting route that is your usual practice. With so many players to move on and decisions to be made, the new manager will need as much time as possible.

This run of poor form is down to the errors in recruitment made by Ashton and LJ over a 4 year period. Deano inherited them and now Nige has picked up the same sorry bunch and not even a guy with his experience has been able to turn things around.

What Nige has down has highlighted the many weaknesses that the squad has accrued over the recent years. Poor management and poor coaching have led us to the sorry state we are in.

Some posters point out that since Nige took over that nothing much has changed in terms of results but I’m not pointing the finger at Nige as the cause. That lies completely with LJ and MA.

I reckon that if Nige gets appointed then he’ll have a summer of thinning the squad and recruitment plus  a full preseason to implement his methods and I really think that he’ll do a decent job. I’m not sure why but I has a strong feeling that Nige is the right guy.

This all stems from a lack of leadership and responsibility within the entire club. 

No leaders on the pitch, those players who refuse to let standards drop, those who are willing to call out failure, we have zero of these players. Kalas is our captain for ***** sake. 

Meek mannered managers such as Johnson who won't recruit leaders or players who are characters due being unable to handle them. 

A CEO who has alienated the fans, recruited poorly, had his eye off the ball whilst lining up a another club. Why is he not on gardening leave already? Absolutely shameful. 

An owners son who ****** off to the Carribbean for half the year, I bet he doesn't stand up to his dad or Ashton and call out the issues in the club. 

At the top of the tree we have an owner who consistently recruits poor people to run and manage this club. 

Nigel do you and your career a favour, get out whilst you can. 

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This run of poor form is down to the errors in recruitment made by Ashton and LJ over a 4 year period. Deano inherited them and now Nige has picked up the same sorry bunch and not even a guy with his experience has been able to turn things around.

What Nige has down has highlighted the many weaknesses that the squad has accrued over the recent years. Poor management and poor coaching have led us to the sorry state we are in.

Some posters point out that since Nige took over that nothing much has changed in terms of results but I’m not pointing the finger at Nige as the cause. That lies completely with LJ and MA.

I reckon that if Nige gets appointed then he’ll have a summer of thinning the squad and recruitment plus  a full preseason to implement his methods and I really think that he’ll do a decent job. I’m not sure why but I has a strong feeling that Nige is the right guy.

But who appointed Ashton and Johnson. The ultimate responsibility   for this mess lies with Steve Lansdown. As much credit  that he must take for the training ground and Ashton Gate and financial support, his selection of those to lead and run our club is a disaster- Jon Lansdown, Ashton, Johnson all down to him.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s an interesting assessment, although it does not go well with the fact that Johnson had the club in the top half of the division completing to get in the playoffs when he left. 

Glad I spent this sunny afternoon on the golf course rather than watching this absolute dross.

Till around the start of March I’d paid for every game on Robins TV.

Big overhaul of the squad required for next season and hope that my ST returns the value for money, if it’s like this next season, going to AG will be horrific. 

Time for change 

1 hour ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Didn't Big Nige say 6 windows??...

If he's staying he'll need all of those for sure to build a squad capable of top six.

For next season it's just cutting away,, tidying up & consolidation..

Good news is we'll be well placed compared to many - but the recruitment needs to be so much more mindful than has been for quite some time...

Would like to see a DOF brought in as well as CEO to facilitate focus..

Tough job & it's not gona be pretty.

32 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Will be interesting to see how quickly the OOC players sign new contracts with clubs. Will be a good indication as to how many were playing with their futures already agreed elsewhere.

Depends whether their egos will let them accept substantial pay cuts I suspect.

21 minutes ago, Capman said:

That’s an interesting assessment, although it does not go well with the fact that Johnson had the club in the top half of the division completing to get in the playoffs when he left. 

By playing stifling, negative, backs-to the-wall football.

Technically, you could say the same about Holden, and we all know where that was headed.

The team is far more attacking and entertaining under Pearson. We keep losing because the players aren't good enough.

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

absolutely 110% i agree with this 

Nevermind the squad. We haven't looked convincing or well coached all of the prior season also, and the season before that. 

Major review is needed of all non-playing staff. Only area doing arguably well is the academy. 

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

By playing stifling, negative, backs-to the-wall football.

Technically, you could say the same about Holden, and we all know where that was headed.

The team is far more attacking and entertaining under Pearson. We keep losing because the players aren't good enough.

That's just not true is it?! One game, Birmingham away. The rest of the games have been abject in terms of entertainment and performance.

Besides, the team seemed good enough last season and Johnson was the problem because he wasn't getting enough out of them. Now its role reversed because it doesn't suit an individuals narrative. 

6 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

That's just not true is it?! One game, Birmingham away. The rest of the games have been abject in terms of entertainment and performance.

Besides, the team seemed good enough last season and Johnson was the problem because he wasn't getting enough out of them. Now its role reversed because it doesn't suit an individuals narrative. 

I'm not saying that it's like watching Brazil, but I think you are forgetting just how bad it was at the end of Johnson and during Holden.

Archived