IGNORED

FBC Podcast Live @ 5.00 PM - this is getting serious

headhunter

LISTEN HERE: https://www.podbean.com/lsw/voj3TKjf6G?lsid=RMXWkt3jC2m

We'll dissect the action from a match that saw City in complete control with a 2-0 interval lead but then in the 2nd period put in a defensive performance that for the umpteenth time showed how weak we are in the defensive third.

Is Nigel the man? We'll discuss this and is the current situation the legacy left of a Mark Ashton led shambolic recruitment policy.

Any positives - Tommy Conway; good showing from the youngster and clearly up for it more than some - anyone notice his keenness to get one of his teammates to run across to take the corner as City chased an equaliser.

Kalas - is he all that for the £8M we paid?

Might be better to enjoy the sun rather than listen to us moan and further ruin your afternoon!

[Recording will be uploaded later this evening]

Sadly we seem to be a bang-average side with a lot of injuries, even if Pep was in charge he wouldn't get any more of a response from this shower. 

The frightening thing is, I think we tried our best, just thank **** we had a good start to the season. 

What surprises me is that some are surprised. The Chelsea trio should never have been signed and for years it’s been apparent we’ve signed clubs in the bag and fillers rather than players to fit a style or identity. 
this is the root cause of having a theorist/bullshitter manager and an ownership obsessed with a nonsense philosophy and lack of focus on the end product.... first team football. 
We go again.... another decade in the football wilderness is my best guess! 

15 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

What surprises me is that some are surprised. The Chelsea trio should never have been signed and for years it’s been apparent we’ve signed clubs in the bag and fillers rather than players to fit a style or identity. 
this is the root cause of having a theorist/bullshitter manager and an ownership obsessed with a nonsense philosophy and lack of focus on the end product.... first team football. 

I didn't hear many (if any) supporters say this when all three signed tbh.

I think the reverse may be the case.

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

No me either but personal I thought Palmer showed nothing DaSilva looked weak and something didn’t convince me about Kalas... definitely the fee was way too high. 
All has proved correct. Something was odd with the whole thing. Whatever we think of Kalas and Dasilva.... the Palmer signing made no sense at all based on his loan.... almost like we or someone owed or was promised something by Chelsea.  

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

Dasilva at £2m was good business imho....bar the shins.  Hopefully all sorted.

We overpaid for Kalas, probably because we underpaid for Dasilva.....not such a great negotiator is MA, is he.

Palmer, ignoring views on him as a player was a ridiculous signing from a recruitment strategy point if view, really highlighting there was no strategy!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Dasilva at £2m was good business imho....bar the shins.  Hopefully all sorted.

We overpaid for Kalas, probably because we underpaid for Dasilva.....not such a great negotiator is MA, is he.

Palmer, ignoring views on him as a player was a ridiculous signing from a recruitment strategy point if view, really highlighting there was no strategy!

Maybe we were a bit unlucky with Kalas... Webster and/or Baker made him look better that he is. Perhaps our recruitment team could have worked out why Boro and Fulham didn’t sign him.... he’s certainly not a player to take you to the next level. 

Palmer.... baffling recruitment. 

Dasilva, I’m in a minority of not really rating him but the I prefer a big back four. If we were a team who played wingbacks I’d understand his signing more... but then we don’t... and then we do... and then we don’t again... so again, for me, again strategy and recruitment. 

One or another... it’s been a exercise in turning £13m into £5m max!! 

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Maybe we were a bit unlucky with Kalas... Webster and/or Baker made him look better that he is. Perhaps our recruitment team could have worked out why Boro and Fulham didn’t sign him.... he’s certainly not a player to take you to the next level. 

Dasilva, I’m in a minority of not really rating him but the I prefer a big back four. If we were a team who played wingbacks I’d understand his signing more... but then we don’t... and then we do... and then we don’t again... so again, for me, again strategy and recruitment. 

Fair views. ??

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Like your thoughts. As someone who still regards full backs as defenders, Dasilva is one of the worst recruits based on my best City defensive left backs.

Thresher, Briggs, Drysdale, Scott,  were defenders first and foremost. To hell with all these wing backs, get two brick khazis either side of two central defenders and you start building a side that will not donate goals to the opposition.

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Like your thoughts. As someone who still regards full backs as defenders, Dasilva is one of the worst recruits based on my best City defensive left backs.

Thresher, Briggs, Drysdale, Scott,  were defenders first and foremost. To hell with all these wing backs, get two brick khazis either side of two central defenders and you start building a side that will not donate goals to the opposition.

I don’t think Dasilva is weak at all defensively.

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I still see it like that. Dasilva’s ok but in a 4 the rest need to have some real presence and you need that in midfield too. 
Personally I think City are a great example of how over complicated football has become. Formations galore, clubs in the bag. Just decide a way to play and build a team that understands it. Maybe I’m just old fashioned! 

Palmer was a strange signing, Johnson openly said he wanted him for pre season, or the deal wouldn’t happen. We then went out and signed Szmodics, yet towards the end of pre season Palmer joins despite Johnson’s comments. We now have Paterson, Szmodics & Palmer. We loan  out Paterson to derby, yet as soon as he comes back from his loan spell he’s straight in the starting eleven. Paterson, Palmer & Szmodics is a prime example of no logic in recruitment. 

I am sure once Nigel has a spare moment and glances at the recruitment over the past 4 or 5 seasons he will roll his eyes... Like most of us... How many did Johnson sign? Well over 65 players to my recollection. And the percentage of real failures, not only on the pitch but on the balance sheet, I am convinced would be significantly higher than the average in the Championship alone. 

City went for it under Johnson but in a way that allowed for a scatter gun approach. No wonder he managed to keep us mid table or above; not because he was a half decent manager but because he could sign a plethora of players. It would take a true novice to screw it up worse than he did. 

I don't think that's being unfair. Between him and Ashton at the very least then. 

To criticise Nigel Pearson, as I have said many times already, is facile. 

14 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Overpaid for all Chelsea trio judging on ability and availability. This squad is a pathetic mess full of gutless overpaid dross. Those at the top have to get a grip and show some leadership. What a shambles from top to bottom, I actually feel sorry for Pearson. 

Harsh statement. However very true unfortunately. Well said.

11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Spot on.

A few did have reservations about Palmer, with no track record elsewhere but Kalas & in particular Dasilva’s signings (because of the fee) were greeted with almost universal delight.

I rate Kalas but as has been stated, is only captain by default (those slagging him off who else is there?) & at the time £8m, when we had just sold Webster for £20m, wasn’t seen as such an indulgence.

I don`t dislike KP but can`t help thinking he was a shiny new toy to put in the box. I`m convinced we signed Szmodics on the basis that we weren`t going to get Palmer (he went on pre-season with Chelsea remember) and then he became available and LJ/MA couldn`t resist. 

The loser at the time was Sammie but he`s gone from strength to strength since so I doubt he`s that bothered.

18 hours ago, daored said:

Palmer was a strange signing, Johnson openly said he wanted him for pre season, or the deal wouldn’t happen. We then went out and signed Szmodics, yet towards the end of pre season Palmer joins despite Johnson’s comments. We now have Paterson, Szmodics & Palmer. We loan  out Paterson to derby, yet as soon as he comes back from his loan spell he’s straight in the starting eleven. Paterson, Palmer & Szmodics is a prime example of no logic in recruitment. 

The plan was to have Palmer in behind Nketiah, feeding him like he did Afobe for 3 games!! 
But, having had LJ put in a tonne of groundwork for the Nketiah deal, our wonderful CEO ballsed up the deal. 
So the plan was ****** and he’d wasted money on KP. 

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

We could have got Pontus J from Leeds for a lot less money, fee and wages. (Though he and LJ had a spat of course over Ayling ). Palmer , and his wages at Chelsea were crazy , was a mad signing. Loan maybe, but unless you had a plan, where was/is he going to play. He has not improved one bit. Another like Wells where you have to say what a waste of resources and how can you get rid without taking a bit hit on the finances and writing off their transfer fees. You would be lucky to dump either on a free transfer with their wages. Huge challenge for the new boss. 2 of your highest paid players not delivering. 

Think Kalas has generally been good, but he’s not a leader or an organiser.  Was good recently for a few games alongside Mariappa who did the organising.

Wells can be good - he was at QPR - if played in the right formation. He looked much more sharp in the first half on Sunday.

Kalas and DaSilva can also be good in the Championship if we don’t keep changing formation. They just don’t always seem to know what their role is.

I agree that Kalas is not a Captain - Leader possibly, but the Captain needs to be more vocal and a driving force within the team - Kalas is neither.

Palmer - the jury is still out - he seems to get on with Pearson - if they both stay, and we sort out formation and a strike partner for Wells - he could still be worth keeping - last chance saloon!

More importantly - recruit to a system - appoint Nigel, let him bring in his team of coaching and recruiting staff, and make us into the next Leicester!

Regarding the Chelsea trio:

Dasilva I feel was good business (although as someone has noted, his fee may be low as we paid more for others). When fit, he's comfortably one of our better players IMHO. Think we've been unfortunate with his injuries.

Kalas wasn't great value, but that's not HIS fault. IMO he's probably been our best outfield player this season. Not the best in terms of communication/organisation, but he's definitely a good enough CB to be part of a top half championship team.  Again, not great value for money though.

Palmer baffles me as a signing. We had him on loan. We knew what we were getting. It's clear that Palmer has ability and potential, but his signing certainly felt like a gamble (and a pretty notable one for around £4m). Of the 3, Palmer is the signing that frustrates me the most. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The plan was to have Palmer in behind Nketiah, feeding him like he did Afobe for 3 games!! 
But, having had LJ put in a tonne of groundwork for the Nketiah deal, our wonderful CEO ballsed up the deal. 
So the plan was ****** and he’d wasted money on KP. 

How long did we spend chasing after Nketiah when the player clearly had no desire to come here 

1 hour ago, daored said:

How long did we spend chasing after Nketiah when the player clearly had no desire to come here 

We might find out when LJ’s memoirs come out. 
Remember - “I could write a book about everything that’s gone on at this club in the last year”. 

Archived