IGNORED

Reasons to be cheerful, 1, 2, 3

Davefevs

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, result a shocker, no way did we deserve to lose.  But a side devoid of confidence, this is what happens.

But for me, enough bright spots.  That was the first time we’ve passed the ball in weeks.

Wells, if played in the right system can play well.

Nagy, can offer something outside of the bustle of central midfield.

Bakinson, has a big future here.

Conway, Scott, Bell and Pearson can all expect to get EFL minutes next season, whether on loan or as cover for 1st team.

Defensively, we were too deep, but that happens when you’re lacking confidence and leadership.  Highlights where summer recruitment must be aimed.  A dominant CB.

We need a solid summer recruitment to a plan, whilst not expecting it to solve all the problems.  Suspect changes in coaching and medical staff too.

Not the time to use 3 crappy goals to gloss over some encouraging signs.

Could be the bottom of the bowl then Dave. Here is to this encouraging first 45 enabling us not to lose in the final 2 matches. A win and a draw for the last two.

We all know that this team is more than capable of playing a neat passing game, they did it often enough earlier in the season. I don't take that first 45 today as a positive in that sense, just a confirmation that they can play a bit.

One positive I saw was the link up between Conway and Wells which gave their defence something to think about - that has been missing for weeks, mainly due to Diedhiou playing imo.

Bakinson and Nagy were very good first 45, then went completely missing during the second half. I don't see how they can be trusted at the moment, both good players but go into hiding too much for my liking, I wouldn't play both. I'm not sold on Vyner either, switches off for periods of the game.

Kalas, Massengo, Wells, Conway, Lansbury, all had good all round games today imo - which is a second positive as its been rare that more than one or two of our players have played well at the same time.

We desperately need another centre back and two full backs, sessegnon isn't the answer imo and Rowe isn't a natural left back. Hopefully, Williams can give us a bit of much needed bite in midfield if he's ever fit. If he's finished, then we need someone like him.

Sooner this season ends, the better.

Just now, GrahamC said:

So all we need is next season to be 4 games long & we’re sorted.

The bloke finally made it on to the pitch 2/3rds of the way through our 44th game.

Well worth a million quid a year.

We need a complete root & brach clearout, everyone bar Weimann who is out of contract would go if it was down to me.

I'm not advocating keeping Baker, hence saying we need 2 centre backs. But he does have the merit of relishing a physical challenge when other players avoid it.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So all we need is next season to be 4 games long & we’re sorted.

The bloke finally made it on to the pitch 2/3rds of the way through our 44th game.

Well worth a million quid a year.

We need a complete root & brach clearout, everyone bar Weimann who is out of contract would go if it was down to me.

I always find this let um all go attitude interesting. The purpose of transfers is surely to make the squad stronger. I would let them go when we can recruit better and keep where we cannot. The idea that we can magically find 11 better players is fanciful. If it were that easy that’s what everyone would do. 

First half was some of the best stuff we’ve played for a while. Wells looked transformed with Diedhiou seemingly off the scene. Lansbury, Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo and Sessegnon all deserve mention.

Second half just so frustratingly predictable. 

If you were Kalas, the captain, what are you thinking hearing Pearson’s post match. I’d be furious, the problem is, I wouldn’t have grounds to be. Talking about character, lack of communication, if that’s not stinging you as a captain then you’re not a captain. The fact he (Pearson) said those things and at no point, and he spoke for over 7 minutes, did he offer any defence of his captain tells me Kalas won’t, rightly, be captain next season.

The club would have been desperate for some sort of season ticket shot in the arm. Today, and the manner of today, hurts the club more than people might acknowledge. I’d expect Pearson to be announced this week (that said I had my first real doubts he’ll stay listening to him talk about organisational challenges), and I wonder if they'll throw in a few other crowd pleasers such as confirming Diedhiou exit, stating Simpson/Downing will leave in summer.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, result a shocker, no way did we deserve to lose.  But a side devoid of confidence, this is what happens.

But for me, enough bright spots.  That was the first time we’ve passed the ball in weeks.

Conway, Scott, Bell and Pearson can all expect to get EFL minutes next season, whether on loan or as cover for 1st team.

Defensively, we were too deep, but that happens when you’re lacking confidence and leadership.  Highlights where summer recruitment must be aimed.  A dominant CB.

We need a solid summer recruitment to a plan, whilst not expecting it to solve all the problems.  Suspect changes in coaching and medical staff too.

Great Post, we have had a soft under belly and a squad lacking characters, nastiness for years now, under Johnson and Ashton the recruitment was players of similar ilk, quiet, lightweight and no leadership qualities. Pearson is the kind of manager given a few transfer windows and decent backing from Steve who will resolve this. 

We desperately need width. Rowe is pants as a left back, Sess did pretty well attacking wise 1st half, Hunt is not a professional footballer.

We need Dasilva back a fit enough to play 46 games next year and a right full back who is competent on the ball that he can pass, tackle, head and cross. Doesn't haven't to be amazing at them all, but enough.

We played with 4 central midfielders today, a left back who gets a nose bleed if he goes beyond the half way line and a right back who is a headless chicken.

Yes some positive signs today. The team are fragile though. I don’t buy we need to get rid of the whole squad though. Just looking at the defence for example, Kalas will be fine if we can sign a decent left sided centre half to play along side him so he can play right side. We also need a right back - perhaps Vyner could be an option there as well as a new signing. 

1 hour ago, Capman said:

I always find this let um all go attitude interesting. The purpose of transfers is surely to make the squad stronger. I would let them go when we can recruit better and keep where we cannot. The idea that we can magically find 11 better players is fanciful. If it were that easy that’s what everyone would do. 

But this summer we have so many OOC.  You can’t re-contract them, then sell them if you find better.  This summer you’ll have already made the decision, and will be frantically trying to get your feelers out there now.

16 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

A shameful performance in recent weeks but some bright sparks for the future today.
Just f.off all the hangers on that are pimping a ridiculous wage at the club including the back room hangers on. F.off please.

And the medical team. 

Painful leg? I say hit it with a hammer. Can I apply for the role of head physio?

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Used to think it’s the creativity we lack, especially at home, and still do to a degree against teams that sit deep. But it’s become increasingly apparent we need to become hard to beat first, so  I agree with DF, a centre back is top priority, followed by the rest of the spine of the team (and no that’s not a joke although...)

That was the Brian Clough philosophy. At Forest he brought in Shilton, Burns, Lloyd long before Trevor Francis. He made them hard to beat.

This is the most important factor for Pearson, assuming that SL has the common sense to appoint him.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think we have to be honest and say, despite the huge positive of being able to totally reshape the squad in the summer due to those OOC, it’s unusual for ‘new’ teams to do well, particularly if they have no momentum from the prior season. On that basis, I’m expecting that we finish mid table best case next season. 

And, tbh, I’m fine with that. The main reason to be cheerful is that this season will somehow end with us still in the division, and a major opportunity to shape our future.

That, Hammersmith Palais, the Bolshoi Ballet, Jumping back in the Alley and Nanny Goats.

Mate, survival is the target next season as far as I'm concerned, and build from there.

Scott and Conway are HUGE positives from today. 

2 hours ago, Capman said:

We don’t need 11 new players, we just need to get rid of those who offer us nothing.

Dasilva, Williams, O’Dowda & Martin are under contract for next season & need to come into the reckoning.

Cundy deserves his chance too, he can hardly do worse than those who have played this season.

We need 6 or 7 new players, plus those I have quoted above.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The voice of reason.............if NP stays and is given  some leeway to recruit players and bring in new coaches, i see us doing ok next season. I Do not see us anywhere near relegation if SL makes bold and timely decisions    

It is a very difficult league to rebuild in when season opens, due to number of games and high levels of performance.

Awful thing to say but relegation might well have been better.  Easier to rebuild in league 1 and come back stronger next time with a good squad.  As it is we may be facing a slow Championship death over a number of seasons.

Oh, what a mess you’ve created SL.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

It is a very difficult league to rebuild in when season opens, due to number of games and high levels of performance.

Awful thing to say but relegation might well have been better.  Easier to rebuild in league 1 and come back stronger next time with a good squad.  As it is we may be facing a slow Championship death over a number of seasons.

Like we did not so very long ago.

Not a pleasant time.

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I didnt see the game today, but I have seen Conway in the 23's and he looks like a 'finisher' to me. Quite exciting.

His running up front was tireless, he didn't waste many touches and a few times he showed a nice turn of pace to take on his man. Very promising.

Then Scott came and looked at home. The way Scott marched up to take a free kick frim 25 yards out was really encouraging. Fearless.

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I didnt see the game today, but I have seen Conway in the 23's and he looks like a 'finisher' to me. Quite exciting.

Conway showed his creative side as well, managed to work a couple of yards for him a couple of times and put some good cut backs into the box setting Massengo up really well for one chance

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Not with a £50m cost base to decrease.  Going down in 15/16 would’ve been ok....not now.

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry but that's very misguided nonsense..........we do not need to go down to improve. Given the correct guidance and recruitment we will be fine in the division were in. SL isn't blameless, but he is certainly not     the only culprit, he cannot micro manage every situation?

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree with this.

I also don't think our problems are anywhere near as difficult to solve as it currently feels they are.

We badly lack leadership and strong characters but we have a lot of players out of contract and, thanks to the young players coming through, we need to recruit less than we lose. 

For me, that means a focus on quality additions rather than numbers. We stand to lose 14 players. If we can focus those resources on a centre-back, a right back, a striker and a winger (we could ideally do with more players with any money left over but that feels like the focus) and recruit strong personalities in those positions they could improve the team and I don't think it needs that many new faces to improve the morale of a squad. And, whilst others may disagree, I think we do have a number of players who could offer more than they are showing if the atmosphere was right. 

We need an overhaul of the medical team too, of course, but that is also possible. What worries me is that MA is leaving and any replacement will have a notice period. Someone needs to be taking charge of transfers now.

With a controlled use of resources, I think we could make a lot of impact with a small number of signings but I'm not sure who is steering our transfer policy right now. 

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree with this.

I also don't think our problems are anywhere near as difficult to solve as it currently feels they are.

We badly lack leadership and strong characters but we have a lot of players out of contract and, thanks to the young players coming through, we need to recruit less than we lose. 

For me, that means a focus on quality additions rather than numbers. We stand to lose 14 players. If we can focus those resources on a centre-back, a right back, a striker and a winger (we could ideally do with more players with any money left over but that feels like the focus) and recruit strong personalities in those positions they could improve the team and I don't think it needs that many new faces to improve the morale of a squad. And, whilst others may disagree, I think we do have a number of players who could offer more than they are showing if the atmosphere was right. 

We need an overhaul of the medical team too, of course, but that is also possible. What worries me is that MA is leaving and any replacement will have a notice period. Someone needs to be taking charge of transfers now.

With a controlled use of resources, I think we could make a lot of impact with a small number of signings but I'm not sure who is steering our transfer policy right now. 

I think we could bide our time re a striker....usually the most expensive to recruit. Wells, Semenyo, Martin and Weimann (assume option taken) is a reasonable starting point.  With Conway and Bell, Britton too.

Focus on defence, and see what happens with midfield.  If you re-contract Walsh, you have Williams, Bakinson, Massengo, O’Dowda, Nagy, Palmer (assumes Lansbury isn’t re-signed) as a starting point. Could say one out, one in.

Alex Scott to continue his development here.  At 18 he could easily have another season mixing between u23s and first team.

So defenders.  Harry has already listed several.  The likes of Ostigard would be fantastic, belies his 21 years with his physicality.  If you could prise him away from Brighton, that would be a serious long term recruit.  Right back the obvious other position.

So start recruitment from the back and see what happens.  Not sure we are in as bad a position if we can get 3 or 4 good recruits and a couple more.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Football managers love fans like you Dave - we were 2-0 up at home and lost - the manager is in despair but then realises some fans are calling that calamity a ‘reason to be cheerful’ - that’s why Bristol City fans will never generate a ‘toxic’ atmosphere - despite the protestations of some on here - and this post isn’t a criticism of you Dave, you are just ‘being a City fan’ and that is admirable ... ? 

7 hours ago, chinapig said:

I'm not advocating keeping Baker, hence saying we need 2 centre backs. But he does have the merit of relishing a physical challenge when other players avoid it.

Spot on - Baker is the best ‘defender’ at our club - I can’t believe how many criticise him and buy into the myth of his ‘sub because of injury’ record - I’d keep hold of him and make him captain - he leads by example and has a solid premier league pedigree behind him ...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on - Baker is the best ‘defender’ at our club - I can’t believe how many criticise him and buy into the myth of his ‘sub because of injury’ record - I’d keep hold of him and make him captain - he leads by example and has a solid premier league pedigree behind him ...

If let him go because he can’t pass for **** he just passes laterally or looks 40 yards upfield. 1 game in his spell here i remember him having a good game for passing out 

Archived