IGNORED

The Pearson dilemma

SecretSam

It is a bit of a dilemma but I also have little faith someone else chosen by the Lansdowns would be better. Might be time to trust someone like Pearson to get the club sorted out. 

If this squad had little financial wiggle room, I might be tempted to say he could walk away. The reality is though, is he has a big chance to mould this how he wants fairly quickly. I still think this is a decent project for a high reputation manager such as himself. So I think he would still fancy it but guess it depends on who else is asking about his services. 

5 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

There's a lot of debate about whether Pearson is the right man.

I thought he was, but results...

However, given the utter shambles in the boardroom, on the pitch, etc, would he want to stay?

I'm past caring to be perfectly honest.  NP or no NP, someone has a huge job on their hands and we may continue going backwards before we go forwards.  A miracle worker is not needed; a miracle would not solve the underlying issues at the club.  The next person needs time, money, and patience from the fans. The club needs gutting from top to bottom. 

We got rid of a rookie manager and presumably are paying a very experienced one a lot more, but im not very clear what the extra cost has achieved. If you are excellent in one half and shambolic in the second there are numerous issues, including leadership. if you can identify issues but cant put anything in place to sort it out, then whats the point?

Listen to his post match interview, he is bang on about this group, unprofessional, lack of leaders or characters who are coasting as they know its curtains for them. 

We are now relying on youngsters as the experienced players are bottlers. He cannot do anything now until we can change this squad. 

1 minute ago, Dynamite Red said:

Listen to his post match interview, he is bang on about this group, unprofessional, lack of leaders or characters who are coasting as they know its curtains for them. 

We are now relying on youngsters as the experienced players are bottlers. He cannot do anything now until we can change this squad. 

Absolutely. I get the feeling he is at his witts end with a few already

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We got rid of a rookie manager and presumably are paying a very experienced one a lot more, but im not very clear what the extra cost has achieved. If you are excellent in one half and shambolic in the second there are numerous issues, including leadership. if you can identify issues but cant put anything in place to sort it out, then whats the point?

What do you actually think he can do until the transfer window reopens? A lot of these players need to go. The point is he knows the issues and how to solve them. He needs backing and patience to sort this mess out, because the club is heading into the abyss on the field right now. 

9 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Holden had no idea what he was doing, and was blind to the problems right in front of him up until the end when he ran out of ideas, I.e. When chucking 4 strikers on the pitch at the same time failed to yield results. 

LJ was blind thinking he was the next Guardiola. 

Identifying the problem is the biggest step towards solving it. That can't happen until the seasons over. 

Ultimately Ashton, and his appointments, have been proven utterly and completely inept in football terms, from coaching, to recruitment and medical - it all needs complete gutting. 

Four years of non-football people and this with a general lack of experience have called shots - and shock, it hasn't worked. 

Players had it easy under Holden, Pearson comes in demanding highers work rate and passion - they down tools. 

Too cushty a club and always have been. Need to be utterly ruthless, starting now. 

Football managers are judged on results. So on that basis he could well turn out to be the worst appointment we've ever made. It would be a big gamble and a bold choice on SL's part.

That's if NP wants it of course. He, likewise could be at risk of seriously damaging his reputation in the game.

I say roll the dice gentleman. Be lucky.

17 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Short of dusting off his boots and playing himself I'm not sure what he can be expected to do with no opportunity to bring in players with the character and qualities required.

Now I’ve calmed down after watching that shitshow, I’m convinced, more than ever, that we now need to appoint NP asap.

More than anyone else, he now knows, from bitter experience, the size and scope of the problems within the squad. He knows whom to trust (it’s a short list), whom to retain and whom to release. He needs to be given the right resources to make his required changes. He needs to be able to be able to bring in his own coaching team and assistant. 

NP may not have, so far, made the positive impact we’d all hoped would result but to me, he represents our best chance of a top half finish next season. 

16 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Absolutely. I get the feeling he is at his witts end with a few already

He is. And he keeps telling us. But he seems to keep picking them. 
Perfect opportunity today, safe, going nowhere in the league, ditch all the ones he’s been slating. 
I’d have more respect for him if he carried through on the idle threats. 
Don’t get me wrong, I want him to succeed, but I’m getting a little bored at him calling some players out and yet still picking them. 
Be a man of your word. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Perfect opportunity today, safe, going nowhere in the league, ditch all the ones he’s been slating. 
Don’t get me wrong, I want him to succeed, but I’m getting a little bored at him calling some players out and yet still picking them. 
Be a man of your word. 

And play who?

We can't and shouldn't just chuck a team of u23s in there, mainly because our u23 team is made up of 17 and 18 year olds and getting pumped by Millwall and especially Brentford is not going to do them any good.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Be a man of your word. 

Diedhiou was out of the squad, injured or not. He played Conway, brought Scott on. Not sure, given injuries, what else he could do. Play too many and you’ll end up a bit like Towler, overwhelmed, almost sent off and potentially damaging.

Scott and Conway combined for an “offside” equaliser.

NP has had his hands tied by injuries - I don’t see a queue of youngsters waiting who haven’t been given a chance.

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Now I’ve calmed down after watching that shitshow, I’m convinced, more than ever, that we now need to appoint NP asap.

More than anyone else, he now knows, from bitter experience, the size and scope of the problems within the squad. He knows whom to trust (it’s a short list), whom to retain and whom to release. He needs to be given the right resources to make his required changes. He needs to be able to be able to bring in his own coaching team and assistant. 

NP may not have, so far, made the positive impact we’d all hoped would result but to me, he represents our best chance of a top half finish next season. 

I've come round to that view as well.

Whether he'll get the chance to sort things out is another matter.

I'm not sure that SL will rip up the "5 pillars" (or was it 3) and give NP a bit of license to bring in his staff.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Be a man of your word. 

TBF to him, he mentions it as a collective responsibility.

I've not heard him call any particular player out, but I have heard him praise some.

He mentions protecting the younger players, if he left out a load of "experienced" players and played the youngsters, it could do them more harm than good. 

He's between a brick and a hard place in that respect imo.

Mind you, he played Diedhiou too many times and I'm not sure why he did that.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Be a man of your word. 

Who does he replace them with?

I'm still more worried about attracting new players than the manager to be honest. If we have the clear out we all feel is needed it's no good replacing them with like for like, plus I'm sorry to say I just don't see existing quality players being attracted to this club at the moment. 

Archived