IGNORED

Nigel Pearsons post match interview

Unan

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I found those comments interesting as well "problems deeper....there are organisational challenges with regard to how to shape the club moving forward."

I think that is a direct challenge to the way in which SL and MA have structured the club using their "sustainable" model and recruitment process and the hole that MA leaving creates.

Seems to me, reading between the lines, that SL has a big decision to make - tear up the current model and give NP a bit of leeway within the structure, or continue with it and get someone else who would fit in with it.

I tend to agree with you that he won't be here much longer as SL may dig his heels in especially given the performances and results under NP. Which would be a mistake imo.

Indeed.

We all look back at Coppell with derision, but he walked for a reason. 

Sad thing is, I think Nigel wants to stay and sort it out and it's looking like he won't get the chance.

8 minutes ago, Capman said:

What a refreshingly honest assessment. In some ways I wonder if Pearson has taken over at the ideal time for him. We were effectively safe so he has not needed to put up backs to the wall win at all costs teams and tactics. He has been able to play the best team he has available (on paper) and that highlights the true problems. 
Personally I don’t agree with those saying all the players need to go. That is just absurd. The team would be transformed by the addition of 2 or 3 players in key positions. 

Totally agree, plus some of injured players returning for the the start of next season eg Weimann 

4 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I just want to see him get angry. Ive watched some of his interviews from other clubs, and he is like a pit bull, whereas now he interviews like a border Collie. Get mad Nige.

I love Border Collies. I have 2.

Intelligent beasts that make other breeds seem like senseless bags of fur. 

Nige the same - he's watching the mess and will sort it. 

2 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I just want to see him get angry. Ive watched some of his interviews from other clubs, and he is like a pit bull, whereas now he interviews like a border Collie. Get mad Nige.

I agree but I can understand why he hasn't. As it stands he's here short term and probably feels he can't go too far in what he wants to say.

As it happens, some of these interviews, including today's, have been far more enlightening than they would if he'd just ranted and raved about everything and everybody.

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Indeed.

We all look back at Coppell with derision, but he walked for a reason. 

Sad thing is, I think Nigel wants to stay and sort it out and it's looking like he won't get the chance.

Again speculation. I’m certain you will agree with me when I say that the Owner would be taking a massive risk in appointing anyone but Pearson, one that would cost him a few thousand season ticket holders to start with.

17 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I found those comments interesting as well "problems deeper....there are organisational challenges with regard to how to shape the club moving forward."

I think that is a direct challenge to the way in which SL and MA have structured the club using their "sustainable" model and recruitment process and the hole that MA leaving creates.

Seems to me, reading between the lines, that SL has a big decision to make - tear up the current model and give NP a bit of leeway within the structure, or continue with it and get someone else who would fit in with it.

I tend to agree with you that he won't be here much longer as SL may dig his heels in especially given the performances and results under NP. Which would be a mistake imo.

If SL really cares about the football part of his empire, he should employ Pearson as Director of Football/Team Manager without any delay. The sooner he gets to work on both the First team and the support organisation the better our chances will be of avoiding the big drop at the end of next season.

The first three months of the 2021-22 year is going to need an awesome amount of recruitment to build a team on and off the pitch. With another "wanabee" Head Coach and the same backroom like medical incompetents, we'd be overtaking the Gas on the journey to non league oblivion.

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I love Border Collies. I have 2.

Intelligent beasts that make other breeds seem like senseless bags of fur. 

Nige the same - he's watching the mess and will sort it. 

He's definitely got that Barbara Woodhouse edge to him.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Again speculation. I’m certain you will agree with me when I say that the Owner would be taking a massive risk in appointing anyone but Pearson, one that would cost him a few thousand season ticket holders to start with.

I hope you are right, but if that was a factor he would have been appointed already.

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Well there we have it from the horse‘s mouth.  
There is something seriously wrong at this club.  Some have been saying this for awhile. It isn’t just the players and coaches.

Pearson from that interview is saying, I believe, that a parachuted in manager cannot solve those sorts of problems alone.

This is probably now the worst side in our entire history, certainly in my 70+ years as a fan.

if SL still after all these years of failure wishes to continue then he must listen to seasoned voices, starting with Pearson’s.  If not then in  the phrase of Cromwell, ‘For all the good you are doing, in the name of God, go’.

I was hopeful a week or so ago that maybe it was Pearson who was failing to hack it. His interview today dispels such thoughts.  Y apologies to Pearson, and my applause for having the guts to say what many of us are saying.

Where we go from here is truly baffling as it is to Pearson as well

I listened to the whole interview and did not hear him say that at all. He wants the experienced players to step up and manage matches better. We played well for 45 minutes and failed to capitalised. 
Given that we have regularly finished much lower in the league structure than we will this year your assessment that this is the worst side in 70 years is absurd. We have work to do but the doom and gloom stuff is overdone at this stage. 

If Pearson is not appointed on Monday morning then, at least for me, it’s no longer a case of organisational issues, it’s ownership issues.

Pearson has seen through the froth. Behind it there’s very little substance.

Thought a root and branch was required sometime back, as this set of performances were coming. The problems on/off the pitch have been allowed to fester so long only a blanket Napalm approach will now solve the Club’s issues.

Can’t think of a better man to apply it myself than Nige. 

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I agree but I can understand why he hasn't. As it stands he's here short term and probably feels he can't go too far in what he wants to say.

As it happens, some of these interviews, including today's, have been far more enlightening than they would if he'd just ranted and raved about everything and everybody.

Indeed. He’s in no position at the moment but they are still the most interesting and sensible, non bullshit interviews for the last 20 years at least.  Long may they continue.  

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

See my thread..."The Pearson dilemma". He alludes to the mess off the pitch. IF he stays, will the infrastructure be there to rebuild us?

I believe our "issues" are deeply entrenched,, systematic failures -the result of weak leadership stopping at every floor & going all the way to the top.

In the short time that Nigel has been here he has completely sussed it.

I'm very confident Nigel is capable over time of re-building the broken clock,,but will of course need the complete support & belief of the Lansdownes....and this is the sticking point - have THEY got the stomach for what has to be done - the dreamlike shoe gazing has to stop.

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The worst comment for me from Pearson was that our lads don’t even talk out on the pitch, something he has clearly never encountered ever before. What bunch of ******* fairies we have representing us.

That’s what shocked me the most. That’s the basics for football at any standard. How have we let this happen over the years, a squad that don’t care and are so soft. Happy to pick up there couple thousands a week 

Just now, Finley_Smith10 said:

That’s what shocked me the most. That’s the basics for football at any standard. How have we let this happen over the years, a squad that don’t care and are so soft. Happy to pick up there couple thousands a week 

Soft DNA it seems. 

15 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If SL really cares about the football part of his empire, he should employ Pearson as Director of Football/Team Manager without any delay. The sooner he gets to work on both the First team and the support organisation the better our chances will be of avoiding the big drop at the end of next season.

The first three months of the 2021-22 year is going to need an awesome amount of recruitment to build a team on and off the pitch. With another "wanabee" Head Coach and the same backroom like medical incompetents, we'd be overtaking the Gas on the journey to non league oblivion.

I have absolutely no doubt that he cares both on an emotional level and in a business sense.

But he's maybe taken his eye off the ball and, with the chairman in Bermuda these days, trusted the club with MA while he got on with building up the rugby and the AG developments.

He really needs to get back involved on a daily basis imo - difficult from his Guernsey base and his son being abroad, but he really should consider it.

When you look at the state of our squad and I know it's decimated by injuries but it's basically not his squad he's having to work with. Even with the injuries it just underlines the overall poor selling of major assets and the subsequent  recruitment of inadequate replacements. There has to be a lot of criticism levied at the likes of Ashton for coming up with this flawed idea.

The "Bristol City" Human advocated by the club has proved to be basically flawed so that we're now left with a group of passive individuals with no fight in them whatsoever.

It will take someone with his pedigree and vast experience so that the route and branch fix that is needed throughout the club can be carried out by someone who knows what they're doing.

The route and branch fix needed now clearly shows to everyone that a lot of our problems stem from higher up in the club.

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He really needs to get back involved on a daily basis imo - difficult from his Guernsey base and his son being abroad, but he really should consider it.

Good grief no. Keep him as far away as possible...give him some new building plans to look at or something. He's not proved a success on the footballing side...he needs to appoint quality football folk and let them get on with it. Oh, but ask for references...don't be swayed by a nifty powerpoint presentation!

Just now, Red Exile said:

Good grief no. Keep him as far away as possible...give him some new building plans to look at or something. He's not proved a success on the footballing side...he needs to appoint quality football folk and let them get on with it. Oh, but ask for references...don't be swayed by a nifty powerpoint presentation!

I wouldn't advocate him being anywhere near the actual day to day running of the football side of things. But I do think he needs to get more involved in the running of the club itself. Certainly in the medium term.

38 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

27 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

I believe our "issues" are deeply entrenched,, systematic failures -the result of weak leadership stopping at every floor & going all the way to the top.

In the short time that Nigel has been here he has completely sussed it.

I'm very confident Nigel is capable over time of re-building the broken clock,,but will of course need the complete support & belief of the Lansdownes....and this is the sticking point - have THEY got the stomach for what has to be done - the dreamlike shoe gazing has to stop.

When he (SL) sacked Holden and quickly appointed NP, he mentioned that he didn’t want to undo all the hard work done by “Lee” (and MA).  Hard work that requires a complete rebuild?

It might have been mentioned by NP that his “football management” team have pulled the wool over his eyes.

Lets hope NP has been able to get SL to see the mess.

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I wouldn't advocate him being anywhere near the actual day to day running of the football side of things. But I do think he needs to get more involved in the running of the club itself. Certainly in the medium term.

I think the problem is that Steve Lansdown thinks he knows how to run football club...despite evidence to the contrary. Recent success peaked when neither he nor his son were in the Chair.

Archived