IGNORED

Nigel Pearsons post match interview

Unan

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Sling Ashton out then, gardening leave, whatever. The guy is gone in a month anyway! Pearson has seen through him already possibly.

Don't hammer me but, while watching our 2nd half capitulation, I was thinking we wouldn't lose this if Flinty was still here. I'm not saying go and get him back but he would have won everything in the air and at least 2 of their goals came from headers won by their big unit up top. He would also have shown some serious balls and rattled a few cages if his teammates weren't performing, we've all seen that before.

Anyone think of a younger mouthy version of Aden?

Only one in the first team squad that I can think of, is Taylor Moore.

Problem is that he is not a regular first selection and not the dominating central defender we need. I'd play him at right back.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Only one in the first team squad that I can think of, is Taylor Moore.

Problem is that he is not a regular first selection and not the dominating central defender we need. I'd play him at right back.

With respect mate, thats the last place I would like to see him.

He is fine facing forward, fairly quick, and good on the ball.

Turning back he is as slow as Flint without the long legs.

The emphasis he placed on having too many unavailable through injury was interesting. I think when he talks about issues as an organisation, that might be a focus.

We were an absolute basket case when he first came in 2008 having just gone down to L1 and one of the first things he did was build up the Sports Science team, I think we were actually one of very few outside the top flight to have a dedicated sports science team at the time. A key person that came in at the time with Pearson,Shakespeare,and Walsh was Paul Balsom. There’s an episode of the Training Ground Guru podcast where he says that Nige was hugely supportive of the sports science aspect and performance analysis and that when Pearson returned for the second time, they did a presentation to the owners to say we should really invest in sports science and performance analysis. Presumably technical scouting was involved in that too. We also know about him embracing sports psychology and bringing in Ken Way.

What Balsom also said was that Pearson was close to Dave Rennie who was our Head Physio. Rennie was let go last year, supposedly to ‘restructure’ the medical department, and depending on what he wants to do, maybe he could wind up at Bristol City.

3 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

The emphasis he placed on having too many unavailable through injury was interesting. I think when he talks about issues as an organisation, that might be a focus.

We were an absolute basket case when he first came in 2008 having just gone down to L1 and one of the first things he did was build up the Sports Science team, I think we were actually one of very few outside the top flight to have a dedicated sports science team at the time. A key person that came in at the time with Pearson,Shakespeare,and Walsh was Paul Balsom. There’s an episode of the Training Ground Guru podcast where he says that Nige was hugely supportive of the sports science aspect and performance analysis and that when Pearson returned for the second time, they did a presentation to the owners to say we should really invest in sports science and performance analysis. Presumably technical scouting was involved in that too. We also know about him embracing sports psychology and bringing in Ken Way.

What Balsom also said was that Pearson was close to Dave Rennie who was our Head Physio. Rennie was let go last year, supposedly to ‘restructure’ the medical department, and depending on what he wants to do, maybe he could wind up at Bristol City.

Known as “Norfolk” ?

7 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Fair point and yes agree.
Infact this shite bag of a team performance in recent weeks will play into NPs hand as quite frankly who else is there to pick up the pieces? In effect NP is being proven right. Clear out coming .....

If they are as bad as everyone says, combined with a potentially post Covid flattened Championship market, shifting those in contract might be a bit tricky...

However 13 are out of contract- most of them should go for a start. Walsh and Weimann stay if fitness okay?

Can argue a case for Paterson at times if fit perhaps, but those 3 at most..can't think of any others.

7 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Well there we have it from the horse‘s mouth.  
There is something seriously wrong at this club.  Some have been saying this for awhile. It isn’t just the players and coaches.

Pearson from that interview is saying, I believe, that a parachuted in manager cannot solve those sorts of problems alone.

This is probably now the worst side in our entire history, certainly in my 70+ years as a fan.

if SL still after all these years of failure wishes to continue then he must listen to seasoned voices, starting with Pearson’s.  If not then in  the phrase of Cromwell, ‘For all the good you are doing, in the name of God, go’.

I was hopeful a week or so ago that maybe it was Pearson who was failing to hack it. His interview today dispels such thoughts.  Y apologies to Pearson, and my applause for having the guts to say what many of us are saying.

Where we go from here is truly baffling as it is to Pearson as well

While I agree with a lot of your post, how does the bit in bold come about? 'Worst side in history, or 70+ years"??

5 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

There lies the problem players have now become untouchable and ewrnnfar too much money for what they actually do

Can't recall where I read it, will look for it Monday but read about how the managers power is now much reduced- as we all know it can be- and (not City specific but in general) players going over the head of the manager, straight to the board/owner.

Indeed I believe something similar happened at Derby in 2016. The manager? Pearson!

However the more general example, I'll try to find but that can make it very difficult for a manager to, well, manage!

12 hours ago, Pezo said:

I think the infrastructure is there, they are changing the framework that the team are operating within at the same time as players are leaving - leaving players aren't going to put much effort into understanding the new framework so what we see now is a bimodal system where people are pulling in different directions. 

Bi-modal heh... Ooh err... You sound very Ashtonesque!

9 hours ago, Ostrich said:

Surely not Dave Rennie the ex-player? Former FA Cup semi player with Leeds? He played for us

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Bi-modal heh... Ooh err... You sound very Ashtonesque!

I know some people have had problems with him since he came in, I haven't.

I've only ever had a problem with MA in the last year where its become clear that tangible things under his organisation were about as solid as the cloud of smoke behind the south stand. 

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I know some people have had problems with him since he came in, I haven't.

I've only ever had a problem with MA in the last year where its become clear that tangible things under his organisation were about as solid as the cloud of smoke behind the south stand. 

I think what you've identified in past year is the concern some people had from day one!

Just now, Red Exile said:

I think what you've identified in past year is the concern some people had from day one!

Yes but with zero inside knowledge they need to explain that - all I ever heard was there problem with how he presented himself, they seemed to had massive problems with him wearing a suit and using the word "process" a lot ?

The club needs to make a decision either way quickly. Huge summer ahead and already feels the club are dragging its heels. If not NP and with Ashton leaving end of May . Ashton could have a say and do the interviews for our next manager. Surely hear something this week. Won’t we  

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Yes but with zero inside knowledge they need to explain that - all I ever heard was there problem with how he presented himself, they seemed to had massive problems with him wearing a suit and using the word "process" a lot ?

You hit on a fundamental here. The workings of the club are kept deliberately opaque. Barring insights from a few ITK posters on here nothing is communicated about what happens behind the scenes. There is no AGM and no Board offering scrutiny independent of the Lansdown family and their interests. We have the club's official, and irritatingly superficial, comms channels and the occasional interview with Geoff Twentyman.

Questions asked about the robustness of the infrastructure of the Johnson/Ashton era often related to the key personnel having never previously delivered any of the goals that the club's owner had set. There were greater concerns than Mark Ashton's attire and choice of phrase.

35 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

The club needs to make a decision either way quickly. Huge summer ahead and already feels the club are dragging its heels. If not NP and with Ashton leaving end of May . Ashton could have a say and do the interviews for our next manager. Surely hear something this week. Won’t we  

I’ll let you know a few minutes before ?

18 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

You hit on a fundamental here. The workings of the club are kept deliberately opaque. Barring insights from a few ITK posters on here nothing is communicated about what happens behind the scenes. There is no AGM and no Board offering scrutiny independent of the Lansdown family and their interests. We have the club's official, and irritatingly superficial, comms channels and the occasional interview with Geoff Twentyman.

Questions asked about the robustness of the infrastructure of the Johnson/Ashton era often related to the key personnel having never previously delivered any of the goals that the club's owner had set. There were greater concerns than Mark Ashton's attire and choice of phrase.

If someone gets paid £0.5m per annum, wears a different £2.5K Armani Suit every day and talks absolute BS BUT consistently delivers for the club then there might be people who don't go for that type of thing saying "I don't like them" but they won't be moaning at the job being done. Ashton is only a victim of the club's failure on the pitch for which he set himself up as a pivotal component, nothing more and nothing less.

17 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not bothered about his personality, corporate speak or even his suits! That's what you get from management consultants turned Chief Executive these days.

The fundamental issue is that a man with no football expertise was given control of all football operations and appointed himself head of recruitment.

The result is a bloated and unbalanced (and worse) squad and an equally bloated wage bill. Steve takes that as evidence of Ashton doing a great job, which calls his judgement into question also.

52 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Not being funny / rude, but you can’t have read the multiple posts / threads, critiquing his performance.  Those posts have nothing to with how he presents himself.

Selling players is the only thing you could say he’s been a success at on the footballing side, but even that is open to challenge in an inflationary market, until Covid.  Most sales have been players bought by previous regimes or through Academy.  Brownhill and Webster the exceptions.

Recruitment has been mixed at best.  We are supposed to be world class basics.  If so, why so hit and miss?  68 signings, loans, perms, some of those loans turned into perms.

Recontracting strategy - epic fail.  In 5 years here, only 6 bonafide first teamers have extended their contracts - Pack, Smith, Paterson, O’Dowda, Brownhill and Flint.  You could add T.Moore to that.  Why is that?  How many have walked for nothing / nominal fees?  So much for buy, develop, sell , rinse and repeat.  The list below are players brought in by MA, so don’t include the likes of K.Smith, nor Maenpaa or Marinovic, A.Williams, Rodri.

Frees:

M.Taylor, J.Hegeler, G.O’Neil (fair enough was free), I.Lucic, B.Wright, J.Ekstrand (still had to pay him up), D.DiGirolamo, E.Pisano, R.Holden, 

Nominal fees:

G.Engvall, M.Djuric, L.Ayling, D.Williams, J.Smith

Plus this summer:

J.Hunt, N.Baker, H.Adelakun, A.Weimann (option), T.Rowe (good freebie imho), M.Watkins, J.Paterson, F.Diedhiou, F.Hinds.....£15m of fees.

He could wear a mankini and talk like Stephen Hawking for all I care, it’s his performance (lack of) that has been the focus of my posts.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not being funny / rude, but you can’t have read the multiple posts / threads, critiquing his performance.  Those posts have nothing to with how he presents himself.

Selling players is the only thing you could say he’s been a success at on the footballing side, but even that is open to challenge in an inflationary market, until Covid.  Most sales have been players bought by previous regimes or through Academy.  Brownhill and Webster the exceptions.

Recruitment has been mixed at best.  We are supposed to be world class basics.  If so, why so hit and miss?  68 signings, loans, perms, some of those loans turned into perms.

Recontracting strategy - epic fail.  In 5 years here, only 6 bonafide first teamers have extended their contracts - Pack, Smith, Paterson, O’Dowda, Brownhill and Flint.  You could add T.Moore to that.  Why is that?  How many have walked for nothing / nominal fees?  So much for buy, develop, sell , rinse and repeat.  The list below are players brought in by MA, so don’t include the likes of K.Smith, nor Maenpaa or Marinovic, A.Williams, Rodri.

Frees:

M.Taylor, J.Hegeler, G.O’Neil (fair enough was free), I.Lucic, B.Wright, J.Ekstrand (still had to pay him up), D.DiGirolamo, E.Pisano, R.Holden, 

Nominal fees:

G.Engvall, M.Djuric, L.Ayling, D.Williams, J.Smith

Plus this summer:

J.Hunt, N.Baker, H.Adelakun, A.Weimann (option), T.Rowe (good freebie imho), M.Watkins, J.Paterson, F.Diedhiou, F.Hinds.....£15m of fees.

He could wear a mankini and talk like Stephen Hawking for all I care, it’s his performance (lack of) that has been the focus of my posts.

This is where the forum breaks down a bit, the previous conversation was about me not seeing a problem with him until a couple years ago, previously to that I couldn't understand what other issues were as it seemed OK on the pitch and we were getting a lot of transfer revenue but people still seemed to have a problem with him. 

16 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Very sad to hear a Bristol City manager talk about my club like that. But I and thousands of City fans agree with everything Nigel says. He feels the same as us and he knows what he wants to do. I just hope SL let him and supports him with a massive clear out on and off the field.

The sad thing is that SL still seems to rate the people who got us to this position.

First step sack John, he is not interested and get a proper football man in. The right main could combine this with the CEO role. By combining the roles we could pay more and attract the right man.

Any person who us responsible or connected with

Fitness prep

Medical

Communication with fans

Should be sacked because they have failed

I think NP wants the job and the players are actually providing the perfect performances for him. Any doubt that existed with regards to the massive shake up required both on and off the pitch, the players are just providing more proof and power to NP that he is needed and needs to be given a wider remit and funds. I think NP is that switched on perhaps he is happy for the players to keep chucking themselves under the bus.

This recent interview reminds me so much of when SoD joined us.

The Club have allowed one man, MA, to structure it in a way that has been detrimental to the standard of football being played. 

Having one man recruiting and being in control of finances makes no sense at all.

MA knew he would be judged on finances rather than the football being played, as that would be directed at the coach.

The stats and football have screamed we were in a fast downward spiral for the best part of three seasons and that we were riding our luck.

We compared ourselves with Brentford who were in a similar position points wise, but stats and football showed they were in an upward spiral and were ' unlucky' in their position. Ours were the opposite...we were riding our luck, showing a false position.

How that wasn't picked up sooner beggars belief.

I listened to Barton talking about the Gas, and how he had analysed everything going back a few seasons, and where he could see where things had started to erode at that club. The chewing tobacco did make me laugh ?...I suspect NP will/ has been doing the same here.

The blueprint of fast tracking academy, is all well and good, but partner that with scatter gun recruitment and panic buying, with no plan or direction on the field, then you end up with what we have now. A complete mess.

This is a massive job imo.

Needs to start afresh with a total new direction, from top to bottom. 

The covid restrictions and finances will also make it an even harder job imo.

It’s not great that interview IMO. Ok it’s probably the truth but I just don’t think it helps anyone at all to completely throw everyone else under the bus. It stinks of blaming everyone else but himself, which isn’t good even if he isn’t to blame. Seems like the end of SOD’s reign at the moment. The wheels completely falling off. My main worry is that we aren’t going to be binning off the entire squad and then recruiting a completely new one, so what effect is this going to have on players that like it or not will be staying here. It seems like really bad man management to me

11 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

It’s not great that interview IMO. Ok it’s probably the truth but I just don’t think it helps anyone at all to completely throw everyone else under the bus. It stinks of blaming everyone else but himself, which isn’t good even if he isn’t to blame. Seems like the end of SOD’s reign at the moment. The wheels completely falling off. My main worry is that we aren’t going to be binning off the entire squad and then recruiting a completely new one, so what effect is this going to have on players that like it or not will be staying here. It seems like really bad man management to me

The players that are staying here are not affected by his words and can take comfort in the fact that at least NP feels they tried to do what he has asked them to do. That's a start not to mention the other 11 or so players who are unaffected by his words because they have been sat on a treatment table for two months. All he is saying is that those that can't or won't can find new clubs, a perfectly acceptable comment to make. Why are we so bothered by players that have achieved SIX results in our last TWENTY ONE matches, or 12 points out of 63 if you like, under two different Managers? How do you turn that around, Man Management or otherwise, when they have shown they clearly aren't up to the task? How bad does it need to get before some people start to realise that the players are the problem here? If you think he is blaming everyone but himself you didn't listen to ALL of the words.

Archived