IGNORED

Nigel Pearsons post match interview

Unan

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

The players that are staying here are not affected by his words and can take comfort in the fact that at least NP feels they tried to do what he has asked them to do. That's a start not to mention the other 11 or so players who are unaffected by his words because they have been sat on a treatment table for two months. All he is saying is that those that can't or won't can find new clubs, a perfectly acceptable comment to make. Why are we so bothered by players that have achieved SIX results in out last TWENTY ONE matches, or 12 points out of 63 if you like, under two different Managers? How do you turn that around, man Management or otherwise, when they have shown they clearly aren't up to the task. How bad does it need to get before some people start to realise that the players are the problem here. If you think he is blaming everyone but himself you didn't listen to ALL of the words.

A lot of the players who are the problem will be with us next season is all I’m saying

Also, those who might be ‘unaffected’ by his words will know that he’s the sort of bloke that will throw you under the bus when things don’t go your way. Like them or not, the players confidence is completely shot and I don’t think this is the best time to stick the boot in. What does it achieve other than shift the blame from NP? Is he saying he can’t motivate them? Get them organised? If not why not?

17 hours ago, Superjack said:

I think the "putting things in place" comment is telling.

I get the impression from his demeanour that he knows that he is leaving.

I don't agree.  He does a lot of talking about "beyond this season", no doubt in my mind he is staying, and so he should. 

36 minutes ago, Pezo said:

This is where the forum breaks down a bit, the previous conversation was about me not seeing a problem with him until a couple years ago, previously to that I couldn't understand what other issues were as it seemed OK on the pitch and we were getting a lot of transfer revenue but people still seemed to have a problem with him. 

Yep, we are ill disciplined in keeping threads on track.  Just need a bread or fish pun in this one! ?

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

This recent interview reminds me so much of when SoD joined us.

The Club have allowed one man, MA, to structure it in a way that has been detrimental to the standard of football being played. 

Having one man recruiting and being in control of finances makes no sense at all.

MA knew he would be judged on finances rather than the football being played, as that would be directed at the coach.

so, so true.  MA - look at that “transfer profit” figure in the accounts Steve.  Aren’t I great.  A more forensic look would highlight a worrying trend, which has been my angle for best part of 3 seasons.

The stats and football have screamed we were in a fast downward spiral for the best part of three seasons and that we were riding our luck.

yep, somehow results masked it from most.

We compared ourselves with Brentford who were in a similar position points wise, but stats and football showed they were in an upward spiral and were ' unlucky' in their position. Ours were the opposite...we were riding our luck, showing a false position.

Yep, lots of close games, never win easily, rarely lose heavily apart from the odd spanking.

How that wasn't picked up sooner beggars belief.

I listened to Barton talking about the Gas, and how he had analysed everything going back a few seasons, and where he could see where things had started to erode at that club. The chewing tobacco did make me laugh ?...I suspect NP will/ has been doing the same here.

The blueprint of fast tracking academy, is all well and good, but partner that with scatter gun recruitment and panic buying, with no plan or direction on the field, then you end up with what we have now. A complete mess.

This is a massive job imo.

Needs to start afresh with a total new direction, from top to bottom. 

The covid restrictions and finances will also make it an even harder job imo.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

3 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Also, those who might be ‘unaffected’ by his words will know that he’s the sort of bloke that will throw you under the bus when things don’t go your way. Like them or not, the players confidence is completely shot and I don’t think this is the best time to stick the boot in. What does it achieve other than shift the blame from NP? Is he saying he can’t motivate them? Get them organised? If not why not?

If Barton was in charge of our lot his head would have literally exploded by now. Who specifically has NP "thrown under the bus" then? Did he criticise the whole group or just a few players who he considers bad apples? Have you ever sat in a dressing room where the Manager has tore into you because you "forgot" to carry out his instructions? If so, did you throw a ******* hissy fit like a big pussy for months on end or did you prove him right to pick you the following week?

It's quite simple, when he decides who to keep and then adds to those players he can no longer question attitudes and abilities as that group will become his choice, HIS group. NP will understand that given his time in the game. He is only questioning a relatively small group of players who are bad apples. Players who took the decision to "turn it in" months ago. Tell me why they should get away with that?

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If Barton was in charge of our lot his head would have literally exploded by now. Who specifically has NP "thrown under the bus" then? Did he criticise the whole group or just a few players who he considers bad apples? Have you ever sat in a dressing room where the Manager has tore into you because you "forgot" to carry out his instructions? If so, did you throw a ******* hissy fit like a big pussy for months on end or did you prove him right to pick you the following week?

It's quite simple, when he decides who to keep and then adds to those players he can no longer question attitudes and abilities as that group will become his choice, HIS group. NP will understand that given his time in the game. He is only questioning a relatively small group of players who are bad apples. Players who took the decision to "turn it in" months ago. Tell me why they should get away with that?

I’ve never said he shouldn’t have a go at them in the dressing room have I? Nor have I said that his assessment is wrong. What I’m questioning is him publicly criticising the players in this way. It doesn’t help anyone but NP

38 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

It’s not great that interview IMO. Ok it’s probably the truth but I just don’t think it helps anyone at all to completely throw everyone else under the bus. It stinks of blaming everyone else but himself, which isn’t good even if he isn’t to blame. Seems like the end of SOD’s reign at the moment. The wheels completely falling off. My main worry is that we aren’t going to be binning off the entire squad and then recruiting a completely new one, so what effect is this going to have on players that like it or not will be staying here. It seems like really bad man management to me

I didn't like that interview either, but not because of what he said, rather because of what he didn't.

I have a horrible feeling that he knows that these players are about to lose him his job. In those circumstances, I would be throwing them off a cliff, never mind under a bus.

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Any environment any of us have been is probably nothing like a championship dressing room dealing with players with big egos on guaranteed contracts earning thousands a week. We can all take a guess at who he is pointing the finger at, but the club wont be paying off wells palmer and nagys contracts for them to leave for free, no one is going to want to sign them for what we paid for them, and pay them what they earn here. Therefore if hes manager here next season he will most probably have to deal with them somehow.

these players are a bunch of scumbags, stealing a living, but short of telling the ooc ones to get stuffed, theres not much he can do with them if they wont be motivated.

Just now, Superjack said:

I didn't like that interview either, but not because of what he said, rather because of what he didn't.

I have a horrible feeling that he knows that these players are about to lose him his job. In those circumstances, I would be throwing them off a cliff, never mind under a bus.

I’m not convinced he wants it

4 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I thought the interview entirely misguided and a bit arrogant tbh. 

There's loads of problems, but it's not my fault, I'm awesome and better than this shower of shite. 

I read it as a come and get me despite piss poor results, hence blaming uncle tom cobbleh and all. 

I think he's off elsewhere from that. 

Unsurprisingly, I don't agree with any of that except for the last line.

Sadly, I think you may be about to get your wish.

It will be a mistake.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Any environment any of us have been is probably nothing like a championship dressing room dealing with players with big egos on guaranteed contracts earning thousands a week. We can all take a guess at who he is pointing the finger at, but the club wont be paying off wells palmer and nagys contracts for them to leave for free, no one is going to want to sign them for what we paid for them, and pay them what they earn here. Therefore if hes manager here next season he will most probably have to deal with them somehow.

these players are a bunch of scumbags, stealing a living, but short of telling the ooc ones to get stuffed, theres not much he can do with them if they wont be motivated.

I think that one or two of the contracted players will be loaned out, you quite rightly point out that other clubs won't pay transfer fees for them. I get your point on ego's but even allowing for that there are still plenty of players out there that are the "right sort" and can be criticised without crying to their Agent. I believe that all the majority of players want is fair treatment in comparison to everyone else. There will be a few "untouchables" right at the top of the game and a number of wasters at the lower end who want the dough but not the criticism and unfortunately most of them are signed on with us!!

22 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The analogy is not a good one really. The Sunday league equivalent would be the manager spouting off down the pub about how shite the players are and he should be working in a higher division. It’s not a great look

1 minute ago, Murraysrightplum said:

The analogy is not a good one really. The Sunday league equivalent would be the manager spouting off down the pub about how shite the players are and he should be working in a higher division. It’s not a great look

He isn't saying "all" the players are shite, far from it. He's criticising a few that either can't or won't. Plus neither you nor I have the CONTEXT of what he has said in the dressing room before, during and after the game and through the week to individual players. There may be nine or ten players who played yesterday and KNOW 100% INDSISPUTABLE FACT that the comments weren't aimed at then. Interpreting words without full context is a dangerous game.

We've needed some home truths to be told for years by someone outside of the club and finally over the last week we've had it. It was music to my ears listening to NP on Radio Bristol yesterday afternoon. 
It left me in a very bad mood so needed time to reflect on the season as a whole really.
-We have stayed up due to the first 4 wins of the season. Which is an utter failure.
-The players brought in from previous reigns of management were hopelessly over valued and no where near the required standard.
-Injuries have in a way resulted in such a drop from October onwards (though no excuse, imo).
-Certain key players have downed tools over the past few months.

Now where the anger bit comes in to us fans. We have constantly been told we are a progressive club 'premier league in waiting' , we now have a 'high performance centre' , we have our social media team so hopelessly out of touch with the fanbase feeling that it has become a complete joke.
The club is soft and delusional if they thought the players were any where near the required standard from the beginning of the season and that includes the injured players and to have a novice manager in charge of it for 3/4 of the season shows how inept the management of the club has been in the past 12 months. Although on the recruitment side it has been more like 36 months of bad management.

The players have disgraced the shirt, NP has took some flack from some, in some cases rightfully, but things don't improve unless tough talk and action happens, which is why I believe we must stick with Nigel Pearson, he can see what's happening infront of his own eyes. Rank amateurs all over the club

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think that one or two of the contracted players will be loaned out, you quite rightly point out that other clubs won't pay transfer fees for them. I get your point on ego's but even allowing for that there are still plenty of players out there that are the "right sort" and can be criticised without crying to their Agent. I believe that all the majority of players want is fair treatment in comparison to everyone else. There will be a few "untouchables" right at the top of the game and a number of wasters at the lower end who want the dough but not the criticism and unfortunately most of them are signed on with us!!

You got that right,,, how that squad of players has been assembled, with that medical department, is quite unbelievable.

19 hours ago, bcfcchris2016 said:

Although its depressing to hear Nigel Pearson say it, it's positive that he has a big understanding of the reality of City’s situation in his post-match interview. Other managers would of said ‘it ain’t for me’ by now

If we do offer Nige the job. It is so pivotal that he has his backroom staff as we can’t afford to go into next season with Pearson, Simpson, Downing and Pat Mountain

I don't agree really - he sounds like a beaten man. I have major work issues myself and things beyond my control and influence keep happening and I know I sound just like he does, fed up, frustrated, sick of it all etc only HE can influence the Team and players and tactics (in my case a very small cog with no chance to influence is the difference) - never convinced he is the man to lead us forward

19 hours ago, bcfcchris2016 said:

I would agree with the sentiment in many posts regarding NP’s interview post match if we were operating under normal circumstances. If the majority of players had contracts for next season and he had to deal with the fallout from his comments then it would be difficult.
However, he is in a position where he can move on a significant number of the squad and bring in what he needs. He has also let those that remain in no uncertain terms what his expectations are. I think we will look back and see it as the turning point.

Just now, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Remind me, what's 'my wish'??

Sometimes managers and teams dont work for whatever reason. 

After 2 months in any other business and  manager is blaming everything else, no discernable improvement and not meeting targets (results) I'd say they're ill suited to that particular team. 

It's really frustrating, but it's actually very common and in an ideal world, managers in this position would either, think different and come up with solutions or look towards a team/ company they're more suited to. 

Just because it's 'football' doesnt mean NP and us is a good fit. 

This interview screamed that loud and clear. 

What is your views on the off the pitch issues around the club at the moment and the actual squad and what do you think NP can do differently to change your opinion other than the obvious and getting good results?

FWIW I thought it was an interview that said “hurry up and appoint me, I’m well up for this, I’ve identified the issues, I’m clear what needs to be done, and you’re stopping me from executing my plan”.

But it’s not his call, it’s SL’s.

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

After 2 months in any other business and  manager is blaming everything else, no discernable improvement and not meeting targets (results) I'd say they're ill suited to that particular team. 

It's really frustrating, but it's actually very common and in an ideal world, managers in this position would either, think different and come up with solutions or look towards a team/ company they're more suited to. 

Pretty obvious is what your wish is.

Just now, Davefevs said:

FWIW I thought it was an interview that said “hurry up and appoint me, I’m well up for this, I’ve identified the issues, I’m clear what needs to be done, and you’re stopping me from executing my plan”.

I think we are in a minority of about 5 on this forum judging by some of the interpretations of it I am reading.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hope so Dave! If nothing else he’s made it so no other manger (or players?) would touch us with a barge pole

8 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

The impression you give off is that you want Pearson to fail because he bought in Simpson.

It sounds like you have your own reasons for being particularly opposed to the Simpson signing which is of course fine and perfectly valid. If that's your true logic though, I think it would look better if you just said that rather than trying to pretend it's football related. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The impression you give off is that you want Pearson to fail because he bought in Simpson.

It sounds like you have your own reasons for being particularly opposed to the Simpson signing which is of course fine and perfectly valid. If that's your true logic though, I think it would look better if you just said that rather than trying to pretend it's football related. 

He / she won’t.  Will just continue his / her campaign against NP. 

11 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Hope so Dave! If nothing else he’s made it so no other manger (or players?) would touch us with a barge pole

Yep, agree from a manager point of view that knows the score.  But another young manager, happy to tow the SL-line? ???

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

Pretty sure that’s not his doing at all, if it is the case. 

I don’t think he is, but managers will certainly question why NP, an experienced managed can’t sort it out and is saying all manner of things.

Just thought this was interesting.....Chris Hughton.

D9059543-6A51-4BCB-B84D-03AFEE82F1F6.thumb.jpeg.f17d41cc31603b13cef8f7482fa27cb1.jpeg

P14 W3 D4 L7 Pts13

27C7D43B-F8C7-46CE-8B71-D99CD4DBA817.thumb.jpeg.9d0a6b077158df90f0aeb5f22d960b08.jpeg

P26 W9 D11 L6 Pts38 (includes one transfer window)

6 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Well, instead of assuming, then ask. 

Assumptions are the devil's work. 

Dont like the Simpson signing, however it's the on pitch stuff that's depressing. 

Not called for NP to go and pointed out its not working. 

Sometimes it doesn't and NPs work at Bristol City has been woeful thus far. 

No one has any answer to that because at present there is none. 

There's a big difference in there. 

And I suppose you said the same after Cotterill's first 2 months in charge and Gary Johnson's?

Archived