IGNORED

Downing - defensive coach

old_eastender

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

He leads by example not shouting, gets stuck in, puts his head in where it hurts, some of the blocks he makes are incredible.

It would be great if he dished out a few bollockings on the pitch but that isn't in him which is a shame.

I was responding to two lazy and shitty comments.

Lazy and shitty haha! If I had called Kalas the worst centre back in the league then maybe, but I stand by my belief that he is one half of a pairing that is the worst at winning the first ball in the league. Every ball into our box is like a bomb scare. 

10 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think he likes to nail the prices upward for ego value.

It would not at all surprise many. An 8 million signing on the CV sounds better than 500k for the Ashton spin machine.

10 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Cant disagree, theres no doubt kalas will put his head in where it hurts, we could do with cloning him for a few other positions really

One is more than enough thank you.

9 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

And yet we were all absolutely delighted with the signing and praising Ashton's negotiating skill if I recall.

To be fair I recall the mood being more cautiously optimistic not least because the Chelsea 3 were not exactly household names. We cumulatively put faith in Lee and Ashton. Blind faith seems to be what is has turned out to be.

I am no fan of Downing at all but is he definitely defensive coach?

Footage of one of those embarrassing Failand Uncut videos showed him working with Antoine, Fam, Wells & Conway.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he should go, but I’m not sure this is him more than say, Simpson or Cisse (whatever he actually does).

Finally on Pat Mountain, clearly Pearson’s call (if he gets the job) but I think our 2 keepers are the least of our worries..

14 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

It's not necessarily just inspiring people, its also about organising them because you are able to read the game. Some players are better at it than others.

In Europe captains are see as players a collect a cup at the end of season not that important at all, all senior players should talk young through but to say a striker say (Kane as captain) should organise your defence because he’s captain is scandalous! Or vice versa!

59 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I am no fan of Downing at all but is he definitely defensive coach?

Footage of one of those embarrassing Failand Uncut videos showed him working with Antoine, Fam, Wells & Conway.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he should go, but I’m not sure this is him more than say, Simpson or Cisse (whatever he actually does).

Finally on Pat Mountain, clearly Pearson’s call (if he gets the job) but I think our 2 keepers are the least of our worries..

I don’t think they have that granular a remit.  Both have come out previously and said they did what Dean needed from them.

Pat Mountain specifically Defensive Set Piece organiser.

2 hours ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

In Europe captains are see as players a collect a cup at the end of season not that important at all, all senior players should talk young through but to say a striker say (Kane as captain) should organise your defence because he’s captain is scandalous! Or vice versa!

The role of captain now, is more a case of an experienced player who is respected by their team mates, and one to stand in front of the referee and/or cameras when the need arises.

What you should have, if you have your house in order, is captains. 

Rather than throwing the armband around when the main man goes off, someone who is willing to step up and take the responsibility of the team. If you don't like the term captain, then replace it with leaders.

In an ideal world, you need a "leader" in the middle of the park. Someone to organise the midfield, get onto the strikers when/if needed. You then need a "leader" at the back. Someone to organise your defensive shape. Goalkeeper, centreback, just someone to take responsibility of that "unit".

We've had no leaders or captains for a long time, and it shows. The comments about them not even talking to each other, and Conway trying to gee them up, is shocking.

Remember Liam Fontaine? Quite highly rated, decent centreback. Started to struggle for form. He was made captain, give him responsibility and up his game. His form dipped even more, ended up a shadow of himself, and now plays in Scotland.

Why am I talking about Fontaine - I fear Kalas could be on the same slide. He's a great guy, great player, but his form has dipped. Admittedly everyone around him is as much to blame, but should he really have the captains armband?

Get someone older, more experienced, and make them that man. Put him alongside Kalas, just don't be moving him in and out of the side every few games. Get a decent side, settled side, build it from the back.

In recent seasons we've either been scoring goals and playing attractive football, but not being as tight at the back, tight at the back and crap up top, or like most of this season, just plain crap all over.

Get the experience in. Build around it, shape the team.

4 hours ago, SecretSam said:

What was he supposed to do? He's more than likely a certainty to be picked, and it's not his job to make everyone else do their job better

I would suggest that the Captain's job is to be the chief communicator on that pitch, to ensure that players are doing what the Manager has sent them out there to do. If someone gets sloppy in a game and needs livening up then I would want, no expect, my Captain to liven them up if I was managing. In an ideal world you want eleven Captains out there but that is a once in a generation thing.

I think relieving Kalas of the captaincy is the best thing that could be done for the bloke and allow him to concentrate on picking up players at crosses rather than giving them time to allow the ball to drop and sidefoot it home. That was literally pub team defending and who knows what Bentley is thinking when that is all unravelling in front of him.

16 hours ago, weepywall said:

Agree, Kalas is a decent enough player but never worth what was it 7 million, been a big disappointment, I think all 3 we signed from Chelsea have been a waste of money.

16 hours ago, sludge said:

Even worse when you consider we had all 3 on loan before we decided to purchase! 

That's harsh on Jay Dasilva  He was a bloody good signing at the time.  It was just unfortunate that he suffered an impact injury shortly after signing.  Even more unfortunate was the fact he had to rely on Rolls and Co for his rehabilitation. 

When on loan though he was excellent, as was his availability if I recall correctly.

Archived