IGNORED

What if?

Roadrunner

What if SL and MA appointed Chris Hughton at the start of the season like most of us wanted. I think we would have been in the top half of the table. I just noticed his team is above us after being near the bottom when he took over. It is not hindsight it was clear he was the man not DH, but what do we know.

We may have been mid table

but all the player would still be here 

and instead of all the fans wanting a total clear out and new start

There would be some of these players blagging a new contract and things wouldnt change

Im happy to get this season over and done with Have a total clear out and have a new start

I said all along it was madness to not have appointed Chris Hughton back at the start of the summer, however in retrospect he would have still had this shower of shite team to work with so it wouldn’t have been easy for him. 

Everything happens for a reason as they say and i think as a club we needed this season to highlight what absolute wasters we have at the club . For me now though Its the decisions that are made in the coming weeks and months that are really going to be crucial for the club going forward. IMO this is the biggest and toughest summer in Lansdown’s 20 year tenure of the club. 

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

What if SL and MA appointed Chris Hughton at the start of the season like most of us wanted. I think we would have been in the top half of the table. I just noticed his team is above us after being near the bottom when he took over. It is not hindsight it was clear he was the man not DH, but what do we know.

Maybe so, doesn’t really feel worth discussing though as it doesn’t change anything. Majority would have took hughton over Holden, you’re preaching to the choir

2 hours ago, super slick said:

Wasn’t it said at the time Mr Hughton told the board that the squad needed a complete overhaul and this is one of the main reasons he didn’t get it? 

Exactly. Had Mr Lansdown listened to him we may not be in the clarts now. We just have to hope he realises the size of the task ahead and that somebody with NP's experience is needed to carry it out. 

56 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Exactly. Had Mr Lansdown listened to him we may not be in the clarts now. We just have to hope he realises the size of the task ahead and that somebody with NP's experience is needed to carry it out. 

Well he didn't listen then, when someone was telling him the squad needed a complete overhaul.

Now he has got someone telling him the whole club needs a complete overhaul.

And I fear that his fingers might still be in his ears.

The problem is, that yes the squad needed an overhaul but Summer 2020 wasn't the oppportune time.

Summer 2021, with double figures out of contract- that is the time- but was Hughton willing to have waited and had a steady year before really cracking on in Summer 2021?

He would have still had to have dealt with our catastrophic injury list however. A handicap for any manager, and at that level I suspect basically any club. Many clubs anyway.

Our FFP position in Summer 2021 is also notably improved as set against Summer 2020.

I should add, significant planning would have taken place but a significant overhaul last summer, or this season wouldn't have been feasible.

I think it's already been touched upon above but I think the big difference between appointing Holden and appoiting another manager, be that Hughton, Cook or whoever, is that the relationship with Ashton, SL and JL may have been very different.

Of course it's all speculation but a manager arriving from outside may have seen the problems on and off the field a lot sooner. Holden may have been to close to the problem to see it clearly. Hughton may have challenged the board more effectively than Holden. Of course we will never know.

One thing that's certain is that this season has seen us take a gigantic step backwards in almost all matters relating to the first team. Next season must be better or a return to League One football is a very real posibility.

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

“Near the bottom” - pretty sure Forest had zero points when Hughton took over in October 2020 ...

I don't think Hughton would have made much difference. The club has that seem feel around it as under McInnes with signings like Brunt, Lansbury and Simpson along the same lines of McManus, Bates, McGivern, Foster etc and we all know what happened there!   

Archived