IGNORED

Next season: What's the mood ?

The Humble Realist

Where will we finish next season ?  

352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Barnsley had the basis of something to work with when they changed managers, it just needed the fine tuning and tinkering to turn a group of exciting young players into an exciting young "team".

We, on the other hand are a shambolic mess that needs major surgery.

Agree and disagree. Recent results and performances in the main absolutely bear this out.

On the other hand, a fit Williams and Walsh for a good chunk of the season and things look better- Weimann we have missed IMO, energy, goals, versatility, DaSilva- indeed the ridiculous situation where for weeks, perhaps 2 months we had 4 LBs on the books- and all 4 were injured, even including loanees recalled! That's just the tip of the iceberg too- the injury situation has been insane. Mawson and Kalas, Kalas and Baker or a back 3 of the 3 experienced CBs on our books- that could have been good, in any of those 3 combinations.

We've had to fast-track and overuse varied younger players who should have been learning their trade lower down- think the injuries have definitely cost us points, momentum, cohesion and stability. Not the sole reason for our malaise, there are many.

Hopefully Pearson appointed this week, hopefully he has been analysing who of the out of contract to keep/offer terms to- who to let go- candidates to keep is a pretty short list! Sooner he gets appointed the better, wouldn't mind seeing the Medical lot shipped out too- have him restructure that side too, maybe Walsh to join him...

As for on the pitch, voted 13th-21st- don't think we're bottom 4 or 5 but maybe middle of the bottom half. Yet things can turn- younger players (when not injured) will have gained experience and could be all the better for being fast-tracked, clearly a variety will need loans out to Leagues 1 and 2- or maybe lower- but some...some can be part of the 1st team squad next year. Bakinson, Massengo, Semenyo and Vyner? O'Leary as one of the cover for goalkeeper. Pring too at LB. though we've not seen him due to injury and can't make a definitive judgment.

We clearly have work to do, though Pearson would be an excellent candidate to take it forward- 3, maybe 4 year deal- 3 years with option of a 4th? As much autonomy as finances allow over everything basically.

14 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Cant believe were stuck with them useless must have been given a two year contract .

I don’t think they’re to blame Rob anymore that Nige is. 

This very disappointing season is largely a result of the recruitment strategy under LJ and MA over a 4 year period.

Poor recruitment, poor coaching and poor management has created this mess. Should Nige be appointed he’ll have to essentially have to rip it up and start again and who knows but maybe Nige had something to do with Andy Rolls leaving (sacked?)  the club.

I've chosen an optimistic 7-12th, but think we'll be near the end of that scale and 13th-21st is a possibility.

We'll have a better idea in August.  A poor summer's recruitment and relegation is likely.  We're in the hands of Big Nige now and we'll rise or fall depending on how he addresses the problems he sees in front of him in every game 

I have a real sense of ennui in regard to football at the moment, not just city. I've watched lower league clubs doing cake sales just to pay the electric bills, whilst at the same time observing the rich clubs greedy behaviour. On the pitch, City have been dogshit and we are facing huge player churn in the summer. I spend a lot of money over the years, if i add it up, watching football and I'm not sure i want to do that anymore. For the first time in my adult life, where i have been financially comfortable, I've not signed up for the season card immediately. I miss being at the gate, but its all a bit meh..

On 26/04/2021 at 15:43, Davefevs said:

Nor me.  Not sure if this thread or another but if you start recruitment at the back, it doesn’t seem so bad does it?

Obviously if you move on some contracted players too, you free up room too.

2 or 3 powerful, well considered replacements could be all that's required to move into a top 10 position. If it comes coupled with a more organised, more aggressive philosophy which allows us to creat the number of chances we need, then it could be all we need. For me RB and striker are the big ones, possibly a midfielder too if Palmer and Pato leave. Then it would just be replacing any that we sell.

August is a clean slate imo. Make changes, have a good pre-season, and go fresh in August. 

These 16 games will always be on NPs CV, but in the long run its next season that really counts.

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

I don’t think they’re to blame Rob anymore that Nige is. 

This very disappointing season is largely a result of the recruitment strategy under LJ and MA over a 4 year period.

Poor recruitment, poor coaching and poor management has created this mess. Should Nige be appointed he’ll have to essentially have to rip it up and start again and who knows but maybe Nige had something to do with Andy Rolls leaving (sacked?)  the club.

I would imagine thats the case with Rolls but gutted to see those two muppets still here we may need someone to cut the oranges at half time or work the turnstiles ??

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've chosen an optimistic 7-12th, but think we'll be near the end of that scale and 13th-21st is a possibility.

We'll have a better idea in August.  A poor summer's recruitment and relegation is likely.  We're in the hands of Big Nige now and we'll rise or fall depending on how he addresses the problems he sees in front of him in every game 

So you have gone for anything from 7th to 21st, don't fancy you will get good odds at the bookies on that prediction :laugh:.

Well the steps have started NP got the three year deal, Ashton and rolls gone. 

It's a big rebuild from back room staff. Players and them higher up the chain suits. 

I expect no miracles next season. Was not NP quoted as saying it a '5 window need  to rebuild team' 

But I looking  forward to the journey. 

I would say my money on prem in 5 seasons ?

COYR

9 hours ago, pillred said:

So you have gone for anything from 7th to 21st, don't fancy you will get good odds at the bookies on that prediction :laugh:.

As we don't know yet what the summer recruitment will be, I wouldn't be going to the bookies in April anyway.  Are they even offering odds on the 21/22 season yet?

4 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Well the steps have started NP got the three year deal, Ashton and rolls gone. 

It's a big rebuild from back room staff. Players and them higher up the chain suits. 

I expect no miracles next season. Was not NP quoted as saying it a '5 window need  to rebuild team' 

But I looking  forward to the journey. 

I would say my money on prem in 5 seasons ?

COYR

That's exactly what the stupid Gashead said......................

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As we don't know yet what the summer recruitment will be, I wouldn't be going to the bookies in April anyway.  Are they even offering odds on the 21/22 season yet?

It always amazes me that the bookies put out their odds for promotion and relegation so early, as you say a lot can change between now and kick off next season but I bet (pun intended) they will be offering odds during the summer long before teams have done all their recruitment, they do seem to get it right a fair bit of the time though. 

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

It always amazes me that the bookies put out their odds for promotion and relegation so early, as you say a lot can change between now and kick off next season but I bet (pun intended) they will be offering odds during the summer long before teams have done all their recruitment, they do seem to get it right a fair bit of the time though. 

I guess when you have teams like Wycombe Wanderers making it to the Championship, you might be able to guess it will be a struggle for them to survive. 

We'd be more of an enigma though.  A proven success as a manager, but apparently without his preferred assistants, and having to replace large swathes of the First XI in a short space of time. Can he pull it off? It's a big ask. In his first year at Leicester, he had tremendous success, but was able to call upon players who, although not quite good enough for the Championship, were decent at L1 level. 

It's why I think you can only hedge your bets. I think finishing Top 6 is likely to be beyond even Pearson. There will just be too many changes for the transition to be entirely smooth. Given the chance to recruit decently though, I think 7th-12th is entirely possible.

Of course, if he has a "Steve Cotterill" summer, we're in the lower reaches - or down.  :noexp:

13 hours ago, pillred said:

A bit unfair. I’m similar but would have chosen 10-15 if there was a free range of choices.

Now that Pearson has been appointed I am quietly optimistic of a good season, but not a great one. I think we could finish anywhere from 7-10th and I'd be quite happy with that. Anything lower than 15th and I'd be asking a few questions.

The ultimate ambition has to be season-on-season progress. With this season as the starting point, that isn't going to be too challenging next campaign. The real test, will be pushing on in the season following and ensuring we continue to add quality to the club - both on and off the pitch.

For the first time in nearly 10 years, I am considering a season ticket also. Which can only be a good thing!

9 hours ago, Leveller said:

A bit unfair. I’m similar but would have chosen 10-15 if there was a free range of choices.

That would be the logical choice. I was just joking that he first chose 7th to 10th then said he could actually see us finishing anything from 13th 21st which gave him a very large margin for error, that was my point made in jest. 

21 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess when you have teams like Wycombe Wanderers making it to the Championship, you might be able to guess it will be a struggle for them to survive. 

We'd be more of an enigma though.  A proven success as a manager, but apparently without his preferred assistants, and having to replace large swathes of the First XI in a short space of time. Can he pull it off? It's a big ask. In his first year at Leicester, he had tremendous success, but was able to call upon players who, although not quite good enough for the Championship, were decent at L1 level. 

It's why I think you can only hedge your bets. I think finishing Top 6 is likely to be beyond even Pearson. There will just be too many changes for the transition to be entirely smooth. Given the chance to recruit decently though, I think 7th-12th is entirely possible.

Of course, if he has a "Steve Cotterill" summer, we're in the lower reaches - or down.  :noexp:

Mind you, I expect Barnsley fans would have settled for 21st back in August so you never know.

What do I expect next season?

Recovery of confidence, consolidation and a lower top end of table finish. Anything better would be a bonus.

So long as we become defensively more solid and try to attack and entertain at home, I'll settle for that after three years of miserable home games in which we have become a points donating charity. I'm sick of seeing us cave in to sides like Birmingham City and Rotherham!

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

What do I expect next season?

Recovery of confidence, consolidation and a lower top end of table finish. Anything better would be a bonus.

So long as we become defensively more solid and try to attack and entertain at home, I'll settle for that after three years of miserable home games in which we have become a points donating charity. I'm sick of seeing us cave in to sides like Birmingham City and Rotherham!

Agreed.

A lot depends on who goes, stays, and comes in of course, but as it stands I don't think we'll be troubling the top half too much.

Archived