IGNORED

Next season: What's the mood ?

The Humble Realist

Where will we finish next season ?  

352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Which players didn't try on Sunday?   Please name them.  Three C's lacking; confidence, competence and concentration but the only obvious one who hasn't shown effort in the squad has been Diedhiou.

I'm referring to the whole season.

I'm quite confident, if we keep Pearson.

10 OOC, some talent from the academy, Walsh/Massengo/Semenyo etc improving.

I think every game we're slowly starting to look more structured and on the same page.

New RB/CB desperately needed. Those 2, and 2 or 3 other good quality signings and I can see a strong side.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

I'm referring to the whole season.

Okay, please name and shame them.  There's been injuries, management uncertainty and a complete lack of confidence but I can still only come up with Diedhiou as someone who looks like they aren't trying and shirking challenges to avoid  jeopardising whatever he has lined up.   I said at the start of the season there weren't enough goals in the side and we were lucky early on to nick some fortunate 1-0's.  The performances were generally awful but I still don't think lack of effort was the reason.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

To be honest, I’ll just be glad to be shot of Jamie ******* Paterson. O’Dowda leaving too would be ideal. If those two things happen, the world is our oyster. 

Yep, that’s the root cause of all our problems, isn’t it?

Look how much better we have been since he got injured..

Paterson probably will go, but as a disproportionate source of goals & assists when compared to others, some of whom barely ever get on the pitch at all, (like Walsh) he is about number 96 on our long list of problems.

As for O’Dowda, I am not a big fan, but prepare to be disappointed, he’s under contract next season & nailed on to be a part of the squad.

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

That our apology for a squad can be disassembled, reassembled and galvanised into a promotion chasing team vying against clubs containing £multi-million rated players whilst receiving obscene parachute payments is not a sensible target, imo and will only breed discontent with the likely reality.

But Barnsley have done just that haven't they and this is with a change of manager about 6 games into 20/21 season?

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We're not in a particularly good place right now and the squad needs a rebuild but lighten up everyone. We're in the Championship not at the bottom of Division 4 (L2) FFS! If Pearson stays and he's given a budget (FFP compliant) that will allow him to sort out the coaching staff and squad we can finish close to the play-offs next season. We are no where near the worst we've been or no where near being as f**ked up as some other clubs in the league. Onward and upward should be our mantra. 

Totally agree with the sentiment. We're not in a position where the issues cannot be fixed, we just need to act decisively to get into a position where we can start fixing them ahead of other clubs not behind them. Play-offs is way over optimistic in my opinion, call me easily pleased but a somewhere around mid-table finish next season with obvious and VISIBLE improvements in attitude and performance would do me just fine then look to kick on, but it's a game of opinions!!

I've put top half. 

My reasons being that:

1) We are currently an utter shitshow, but to such an indisputable point that it is clear that major change is needed.

2) The number of players out of contract, plus the exit of the CEO and the uncertainty over the manager's position does have the one upside of meaning major change is possible.

3) I don't think the changes we need are unfeasible. If we focused on bringing five players in but made sure they had the leadership and steel that was currently lacking, I think it could change the dynamic of the squad.

4) I do think, despite the gloom, we have six or seven players who could do well in the right team and the right environment.

5) Nonetheless that level of change is probably a bit too major for the play-offs to be a realistic target.

All of this said, we need certainty soon - who the manager is, who the CEO is, who is negotiating tranfers. 

If we act quickly next season could be a different beast.

If not, however...

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

But Barnsley have done just that haven't they and this is with a change of manager about 6 games into 20/21 season?

Barnsley had the basis of something to work with when they changed managers, it just needed the fine tuning and tinkering to turn a group of exciting young players into an exciting young "team".

We, on the other hand are a shambolic mess that needs major surgery.

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Paterson probably will go, but as a disproportionate source of goals & assists when compared to others, some of whom barely ever get on the pitch at all, (like Walsh) he is about number 96 on our long list of problems.

As for O’Dowda, I am not a big fan, but prepare to be disappointed, he’s under contract next season & nailed on to be a part of the squad.

Oh I know that’s not the root cause, but seeing Pato (especially) leave will be a small victory I’ve looked forward to for years. 

1 hour ago, bcfcnick said:

I've put top two. Is nobody else as happily deluded as myself?

The under-23's just won their group that included the likes of Colchester and, no less, Charlton Athletic.

There will be a transformational coaching team and new manager in place next year with a mass clear out of out of contract players who can't be faulted for effort but a bit of ability would have come in handy.  We will retain the Scouse Messi though.

A new fitness team will no doubt be part of the new set-up that will match the grade A training facilities.

Remember that well-know saying in the financial market? "Past performance is not a guide to the future."

there's another famous saying. " You wont win anything with kids "

Even with NP, I think we will be fighting relegation next year. Despite reports of "financial flexibility" next year, I think most of our dealings will be in the free market and a few small transfer fees. 

After that, you face the issue of getting ~10 new faces gelling as quick as possible. Settling in is done best when established processes are already in place. We don't (and will not) have any of that. We will have potentially made significant changes at all levels within the club so I imagine it will be a bit of a shit show all around for a little while.

Combine all that with the the fact that we as a club do not do anything quickly, I think we're in trouble. We are so ponderous and still somehow end up making the wrong decision. With that in mind, I am sorry to say but I think we will be relegated next year.

Get recruitment right and anything is possible. Weren’t Barnsley down if Wigan hadn’t been deducted points? Get Pearson in because I am confident he at least has a good plan of how he wants to shape this side. Get as many as we can early so they have a proper pre season and we can be a top half side. Especially as most clubs will be affected by covid and while we are too, we are shedding probably 10m worth of yearly salary from the playing staff if all go. It is a massive summer no matter what and depending how it goes pretty much any scenario is possible. 

49 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think O'Dowda is the kind of player that Nige would see as being right for "development" . Paterson I'm just not sure about.

1 minute ago, Red_Alligator said:

I think O'Dowda is the kind of player that Nige would see as being right for "development" . Paterson I'm just not sure about.

I have stuck up for Paterson in the past, but I’d let him go.

In truth Weimann apart I’d be happy to see every single out of contract player leave & would also transfer list at least 3 of those who have deals for 21/22.

Don’t expect it will be quite that drastic though.

I think with a root and branch review and some smart additions to the playing and support staff we can still do well in the league. Play offs are a realistic aim. BUT, it depends on what happens behind the scenes.  SL needs a structure in place that does not fall apart because of one man - i.e. Ashton. He had his finger in too many pies and in the case of recruitment and medical provision he failed miserably. I dont really understand why John Lansdown cant be the CEO, SL the Chairman, with support from others around to help JL run the club, unless he dont want to do it.  Then get in a Director of Football for Pearson to do the transfers, contract renewals etc.   The CEO doesnt even need to be a "football person really" as it is a business/administrative role.  

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Agreed, but can you see SL going along with that ?

I really can't see it happening.

Nope sadly not that's why I've voted relegation for next season.

It's very similar to when we went down last time. Pretty sure Derek McInnes highlighted similar kind of concerns which got ignored? 

53 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Nope sadly not that's why I've voted relegation for next season.

It's very similar to when we went down last time. Pretty sure Derek McInnes highlighted similar kind of concerns which got ignored? 

I don't agree McInnes was ignored. We had the complete restructure and overhaul. McInnes didn't do enough to stay as manager and see it through but I don't think the need for change was ignored. 

4 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

I've put top two. Is nobody else as happily deluded as myself?

The under-23's just won their group that included the likes of Colchester and, no less, Charlton Athletic.

There will be a transformational coaching team and new manager in place next year with a mass clear out of out of contract players who can't be faulted for effort but a bit of ability would have come in handy.  We will retain the Scouse Messi though.

A new fitness team will no doubt be part of the new set-up that will match the grade A training facilities.

Remember that well-know saying in the financial market? "Past performance is not a guide to the future."

Except last season into this one. All the signs were there last season to suggest that this one would be a stinker. 

If the drastic transformation that some are forecasting does not come to pass then all signs point to a bitter season embedded in the bottom 6. Only if we make the changes that should have been made two years ago can we hope to rise higher than that.

Even then it would be remarkable to make the number and depth of change that's needed, and then gel that new group into a top ten squad.

I live in deluded hope that we may do it.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't agree McInnes was ignored. We had the complete restructure and overhaul. McInnes didn't do enough to stay as manager and see it through but I don't think the need for change was ignored. 

He has said differently to the media but I guess there's 2 sides to every story. Quite interesting that we have made basically exactly the same mistakes again mind. 

I think that it’s impossible to make a sensible prediction without knowing who our manager is going to be, who his assistants are going to be, who our next CEO is going to be, what funds will be available, which players we are able to sign to strengthen the squad etc.

Dependent upon the answers it could be relegation or it could be a top six finish.

I for one am not going to renew my season ticket until there is some clarity from SL - hopefully in the next week or so. I still feel conned and bruised following the Dean Holden appointment.

Losing 8-10 OOC players for free and potentially some of the in-contract players being told to move on for small sums (not worth much) or paid out of contracts ... and after 2 seasons of no income due to Covid... just how many quality players do you think well genuinely bring in? I can see a couple at best ... I can see next seasons squad looking similar to this season with 2-3 additions... ? 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

We signed 8 this season when people were saying we got no money to spend. It will be the same for every club, so free transfer options, loan options and probably some cheap transfer fees for players.

Lansdown has said he will carry on investing in the recruitment. And he has said the new manager will have some leeway with FFP.

We might actually have an advantage on a number of other championship clubs. Not really sure on the financial situation of the others, but I imagine we would be willing to spend more than a number of them.

Swansea just posted very sensible accounts.....massive FFP wiggle room next season.  This year was their last PPs, but they sold Rodon too.  They’ll be able to be strong next season if they don’t go up.

SWANSEA CITY CONFIRM LATEST ACCOUNTS

2 hours ago
  Club

Swansea City has reported a pre-tax profit of £2.7m for the financial year ending July 31, 2020 in its latest set of accounts, which are in the process of being filed at Companies House.

This follows a loss of £7m from the previous year (July 31, 2019) and a further loss of £3.2m from the financial year ending July 31, 2018. All figures are before taxation.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

They seem to be pretty well run since Potter came in and now Jones.

I don't actually think we need anywhere near as much as people say. 

I think there will be many cheap options. Could even mainly go for loans. 

Nor me.  Not sure if this thread or another but if you start recruitment at the back, it doesn’t seem so bad does it?

Obviously if you move on some contracted players too, you free up room too.

Archived