IGNORED

We need to make a decision this week.

GrahamC

What the title says, really.

There is no logical reason to delay this any longer now, there are only 2 games left, so SL will have seen enough to make a decision either way on Pearson’s future.

I can see both sides of this argument, results have been really very poor but also taking over an injury ravaged squad with so many out of contract who seem unable to be motivated, is a tough task.

My view for what it’s worth, is that I would appoint Pearson but not on the rumoured 3 year deal, I’d give him two years with a review built in after 12 months to then extend if things are going well.

Any talk of top six is fanciful, next season is all about finishing half way at best, we need major surgery & realistically you don’t get every decision regarding signings right.

If SL does have doubts there is no point in now continuing with NP though, as the new man needs appointing as soon as possible.

It has to be Pearson now, regardless.

It’s probably too late for anybody else to come in and work with this squad, the scars are that bad. He’s had a good look at us and said yesterday what we’ve all been saying for months/years.

Let Nige get to work...

IMO we need a C level before we appoint NP. Imagine bringing in a C level only to find out they want to do things differently to the manager/head coach. You don't want a C level exec having to buy into a managers way of working that's bound to fail.

It starts from the top IMO.

Decisive action is needed by the board. As has already been said SL will have seen enough now to make a decision, let’s hope he see’s sense and appoints Pearson within the next week - he can then truly start getting to work. 

I've said before, elsewhere. We have been crying out for an experienced Manager for ages, we tried the newbie (again) last time and it failed miserably. Pearson is here, he's had time to assess and get to know the players and their faults. Seems an obvious appointment and I would hope he would have a head start on any one else should Lansdown be thinking of a change. 
I agree with you, 2 year contract to see if he can sort this mess out is long enough.

I agree Graham - although a more pressing personal concern in our household is whether - or when - to renew the season tickets! Edging towards doing so if Pearson is confirmed.

'Prevarication' does seem to be Steve Lansdown's middle name. I'm not sure what he's expecting Nigel Pearson to achieve with what he has at his disposal. If I were in Pearson's position I'd be trying to get to the end of the season without sustaining any more damage to the morale of the players who will be staying. If Lansdown isn't going to appoint Nigel Pearson he'd better get his finger out.

5 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

100% agree and I’m still in the Pearson is right man for job camp. We need decisive action from SL to give us the structure to take the club forward & then let the rebuild begin

SL doesn't create the structure - the board appoints a C level exec to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

IMO we need a C level before we appoint NP. Imagine bringing in a C level only to find out they want to do things differently to the manager/head coach. You don't want a C level exec having to buy into a managers way of working that's bound to fail.

This "C Level" you speak of.....don't they normally have to work notice periods or are there a load of them out of work on a C Level Tree somewhere? Are you suggesting that however long it takes to acquire one of these we have to keep NP waiting that long? If so, it's onto the next Manager and if we have to wait 6-12 weeks for that then we will be a League 1 club in 2022-23, no doubt about it.

Just now, Red Exile said:

pardon my ignorance but what is a 'C level exec'?

It's bullshit for Chief something or other I think......................

4 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

100% agree and I’m still in the Pearson is right man for job camp. We need decisive action from SL to give us the structure to take the club forward & then let the rebuild begin

We know that they’ve met in person so now it’s a question of whether they reached an agreement...........:dunno:

Obviously I hope they have but even if not then surely an announcement is due either way.

Maybe we’ll be told sometime this week but historically City have always been slow out of the blocks with public announcements.

7 minutes ago, Pezo said:

CEO, COO, CFO, CTO - that sort of job at the top. 

Thanks. For what it's worth I don't believe that anyone other than Steve Lansdown establishes the structure of the club, I'd question what the structure is or whether it is relevant. This isn't a normal business. Steve decides everything, he puts people in place to do what he wants them to do, then gives their roles titles. The finance side might need to be more structured for reasons of accountability but he could have called Mark Ashton anything he liked, he was SL's man on the ground. 

I want to watch a club that delivers on the pitch, all the rest is secondary. Other than the players the key appointments have always been the manager and coaching staff, they're appointments SL has struggled to make in the past. I happen to think he has an easy decision, go with a proven winner like Pearson, and build the club around that. I'm not sure what he's waiting for, unless he has another name in the wings.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We know that they’ve met in person so now it’s a question of whether they reached an agreement...........:dunno:

Obviously I hope they have but even if not then surely an announcement is due either way.

Maybe we’ll be told sometime this week but historically City have always been slow out of the blocks with public announcements.

It'll happen soon enough

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

This "C Level" you speak of.....don't they normally have to work notice periods or are there a load of them out of work on a C Level Tree somewhere? Are you suggesting that however long it takes to acquire one of these we have to keep NP waiting that long? If so, it's onto the next Manager and if we have to wait 6-12 weeks for that then we will be a League 1 club in 2022-23, no doubt about it.

If something hadn't been started 6 months ago when the rumours arose I would be very surprised. 

I can see a double appointment with NP maybe moving upstairs into a DoF position, a new head coach coming in under his tutorship and then in time Walsh joining as head scout and building that back up. 

4 minutes ago, DC10 said:

We’re all here presuming that Pearson wants the job full time.... it’s not like he’ll be short of other offers. 

He directly answered that question over the weekend.

He does.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What the title says, really.

There is no logical reason to delay this any longer now, there are only 2 games left, so SL will have seen enough to make a decision either way on Pearson’s future.

I can see both sides of this argument, results have been really very poor but also taking over an injury ravaged squad with so many out of contract who seem unable to be motivated, is a tough task.

My view for what it’s worth, is that I would appoint Pearson but not on the rumoured 3 year deal, I’d give him two years with a review built in after 12 months to then extend if things are going well.

Any talk of top six is fanciful, next season is all about finishing half way at best, we need major surgery & realistically you don’t get every decision regarding signings right.

If SL does have doubts there is no point in now continuing with NP though, as the new man needs appointing as soon as possible.

After listening to his Radio Bristol interview yesterday, it got me thinking. He was far more forthright than he's been before, not quite the full Joey Barton, but certainly left the players in no doubt as to what he thinks of them.

I wonder if, after meeting SL on Friday, he knows he's got the job, but they're holding off announcing it to give some of the players enough rope to hang themselves. Probably way off, but just a thought.

I think you’re right about this week and the length of contract will depend on how SL views Nigel, whether as a firefighter or as a long term builder, possibly a future director of football.

The other reason I agree it must be this week is season ticket sales. Unless I’ve missed an update there hasn’t been the usual PR about sales as I suspect many like myself are waiting to see about the appointment. Next week is the ‘keep your seat’ deadline. The club have messed up here because appointing NP 2 weeks ago would have given sales a massive spike whereas now that spike would I think be impacted by the last few awful results. I suspect sales targets will have to be reduced until the transfer window opens at least. A decision now is  more urgent.

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

If something hadn't been started 6 months ago when the rumours arose I would be very surprised. 

I can see a double appointment with NP maybe moving upstairs into a DoF position, a new head coach coming in under his tutorship and then in time Walsh joining as head scout and building that back up. 

Fair play if that or something similar comes to fruition and I'll be the first one to say you got it bang on.........I do fear you are giving the people who run the club a lot more credit than I would though!!

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

After listening to his Radio Bristol interview yesterday, it got me thinking. He was far more forthright than he's been before, not quite the full Joey Barton, but certainly left the players in no doubt as to what he thinks of them.

I wonder if, after meeting SL on Friday, he knows he's got the job, but they're holding off announcing it to give some of the players enough rope to hang themselves. Probably way off, but just a thought.

Or to give him time to get his backroom team in place and make full announcement at end of season. A bit harsh on Downing and Simpson to announce their replacements before the season is over.

I agree this needs to be resolved ASAP.

It's not uncommon for managers to be given 12-month rolling contracts and that's what I'd do with Pearson. It's also worth noting, he's not the sort to hang around and claim the money if things don't improve. He's got enough integrity to tell it how it is and to walk away if things don't go to plan. A 12-month rolling contract but with a longer-term view would suit all parties, IMO. 

SL also needs to overcome his inertia, we need leadership from the top now more than ever. Ashton offers nothing and needs to go. One of the two executives within Bristol Sport could easily be seconded to oversee the appointment of Ashton's successor. I'd suggest an administrator AND a director of football who leads a root-and-branch revamp of the recruitment and medical teams. 

Let's hope there's some good news this week. I have a feeling there will be.  

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Thanks. For what it's worth I don't believe that anyone other than Steve Lansdown establishes the structure of the club, I'd question what the structure is or whether it is relevant. This isn't a normal business. Steve decides everything, he puts people in place to do what he wants them to do, then gives their roles titles. The finance side might need to be more structured for reasons of accountability but he could have called Mark Ashton anything he liked, he was SL's man on the ground. 

I want to watch a club that delivers on the pitch, all the rest is secondary. Other than the players the key appointments have always been the manager and coaching staff, they're appointments SL has struggled to make in the past. I happen to think he has an easy decision, go with a proven winner like Pearson, and build the club around that. I'm not sure what he's waiting for, unless he has another name in the wings.

I want a club that delivers on the pitch, I think we need to put in the structure and everything else to achieve that - you have to have something that someone else doesn't have, we can't compete financially with the parachute payments but we could compete on putting in an organisation that supports our players as much as possible.

I accept its a bit of an abstraction but what can we offer that other clubs can't? 

22 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with you, this is symptomatic of everything that has gone wrong with football. They are no longer clubs rooted in their communities, they are corporations, run by suited men with spreadsheets and databases. The Manager of the team used to be most important, now its

1. CEO

2. Player’s Agents

3. Players

4. Manager/DoF

5. Head Coach. 

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Fair play if that or something similar comes to fruition and I'll be the first one to say you got it bang on.........I do fear you are giving the people who run the club a lot more credit than I would though!!

If it happens I will be as surprised as you. 

7 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Agreed. I looked at this way, if NP is only here until the end of the season and no longer then what right did he have to publically slam players and suggest that they will be looking for new Employers in a month or two's time? How can he do that? If he didn't have that power to say so then SL could quite rightly tell him to wind his neck in.........and if he did have the power to say that then why would he be given that luxury if his arse was going to be drop kicked up the street in a fortnight?

Archived