IGNORED

We need to make a decision this week.

GrahamC

1 minute ago, Red_Alligator said:

The matchday pie eh Tone? Throw in a free programme and a comfy seat and I think we're talking corporate hostility.

Done deal just as long as I don't end up with Cheese sitting nearby. My eardrums can't cope these days.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

SL is the top. He’ll decide whom to appoint as the next manager. He’ll decide upon the structure he’s comfortable working with to run the football side of Bristol Sport. He’ll appoint its administrator(s).

Nobody interferes with the rugby decision making of Pat Lam. The structure SL introduces will likely mirror what is proving successful for the Bears. Thus the “C” level administrator you crave will, I suspect, will have little or no say in playing matters.

SL is the top but he is not involved in the day to day running of things and I don't think he wants that in his life. He wants to enjoy everything that's happening in all of his businesses and be a figurehead, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he is quite pissed off with having to get first involved in the management appointment for us and now the C level replacement as well. 

The senior exec appointment should be made by the board which he is no longer on and the manager appointment should be made by the senior exec. Bristol City can't exactly be fun to own - it's certainly not fun to watch the sporting side of it at the moment. 

To be completely clear I don't crave a C level administrator - it's just to model that most clubs including us seem to operate under. 

6 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Why would you put yourself through it though if you have been told there is no future for you at the club? I wouldn't bother and would be totally indifferent to it all.

I'm (perhaps optimistically) putting it down to the fact that over the next five weeks he knows he has to be calling these players into his office and telling them they are surplus to requirements, which I would imagine is a pretty shitty part of the job unless you are some rogue psychopath (no names but would be a good fit at the Theatre of Tents) and therefore allowed his frustration to surface in interview.

If we wanted to raise some money I think plenty including me, would bid for the benefit of showing some of our squad the door.

13 minutes ago, Pezo said:

SL is the top but he is not involved in the day to day running of things and I don't think he wants that in his life. He wants to enjoy everything that's happening in all of his businesses and be a figurehead, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he is quite pissed off with having to get first involved in the management appointment for us and now the C level replacement as well. 

The senior exec appointment should be made by the board which he is no longer on and the manager appointment should be made by the senior exec. Bristol City can't exactly be fun to own - it's certainly not fun to watch the sporting side of it at the moment. 

To be completely clear I don't crave a C level administrator - it's just to model that most clubs including us seem to operate under. 

I think the point missed is that there is no functioning Bristol City Board in any sense that it is independent of SL. I'd question whether there ever has been in his time in charge?

According to the club website the 'Board' is Steve (owner), Jon (Chair), Steve's friend Doug (Director), the CFO Gavin Marshall (who has kept a remarkably low profile!) and CEO Mark Ashton. If Steve wanted a quiet life he might have made more effort to engage other voices over the past 20 years. 

22 minutes ago, Pezo said:

The problem is one (at least one) board member is being controlled by SL.

Amazing how many times the board, which included MA and JL, have to ask the owner isn’t it.  No true board in reality, just in name.  No decision gets made truly by the board.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I think the point missed is that there is no functioning Bristol City Board in any sense that it is independent of SL. I'd question whether there ever has been in his time in charge?

According to the club website the 'Board' is Steve (owner), Jon (Chair), Steve's friend Doug (Director), the CFO Gavin Marshall (who has kept a remarkably low profile!) and CEO Mark Ashton. If Steve wanted a quiet life he might have made more effort to engage other voices over the past 20 years. 

Spooky

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The problem is one (at least one) board member is being controlled by SL.

Amazing how many times the board, which included MA and JL, have to ask the owner isn’t it.  No true board in reality, just in name.  No decision gets made truly by the board.

Spooky

And there is the problem IMO - people in roles that aren't empowered to complete that role, a board that's supposed to have power over the executive but actually has limited power. 

16 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Sorry run out of likes today but yeah. 

The old saying is a fish rots from the head - what happens if the head is just a nebulous concept? 

9 minutes ago, Pezo said:

And there is the problem IMO - people in roles that aren't empowered to complete that role, a board that's supposed to have power over the executive but actually has limited power. 

Yep - that's exactly the problem..I recall precisely these sorts of discussions a decade or more ago.

If Steve is feeling the heat it's because he's not reached out. He's wanted complete control. It's not as though Bristol isn't full of bright people who could have supported him. He's had 20 years to identify them.

42 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I’ve no doubt that Steve is well pissed off with the everyday stories of country folk being dramatised at AG. He must be nearing 70 and looking forward to retirement, or at least a break from the frontline management of our football club. But this is a problem entirely of his own making, so his to resolve. 

Football clubs have different motivations than other commercial businesses.  Of course there are overlaps and similarities in processes but rigid management organisational structures are not a snug fit because too often in football, heart rules head. 

At the end of the day, we’re a football club. Whatever organisational structure we adopt must be centred upon one thing and one thing only - success on the field. IMO we need tracksuited rather than suited management as our first priority. 

I'm sure that there is a lot of work being done, in good faith, with due diligence etc.

All I'm asking of SL is that he takes the opportunity to put football men in charge of team affairs. 

That's one of the main reasons why I'd like to see NP given a go. Bags of experience in the game, some success behind him, and crucially I'm sure, an established network of contacts in the game.

Completely agree with the OP. This uncertainty does no good whatsoever. 

For what it’s worth, I was expecting results and performances to be better under NP. But maybe our awful form just lays bare what a mess we are in. Many of us were crying out for an experienced manager last summer, so let’s give NP a go and, with the departure of MA, it’s the perfect time for an overhaul - coaching, recruitment, medical staff, the lot. And the sooner that all starts the better. 

No announcement before May 4th could be commercial suicide unless the deadline gets extended.

My scenario is if Pearson is announced before the deadline then I’m all in for next season. If he isn’t then I’m £650 better off.

If he is announced after the deadline we still won’t be renewing if we have lost our seats due to the club not being organised enough to get the decision made in time. We will pick and choose games based on other factors which will have taken over the priority for Saturday afternoons.

If someone in the ilk of Robins is appointed then we are out for the foreseeable future. 

The way the last manager search was handled and the time it took and now delays in naming Pearson with so much work to be done on the squad. It is as if Lansdown has no understanding or simply is not bothered about the impact it will have on next season in terms of what team will be on the pitch or the effect on season ticket sales or crowds at Ashton Gate. I simply cannot understand it.

Archived