IGNORED

We need to make a decision this week.

GrahamC

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

I hear both parties want to do a deal but they are still quite a way apart. Contract length seemingly the sticky point, but I’m sure they’ll meet somewhere near the middle. 

This I assume isn’t unusual . if you're in NP’s position he would probably want 3 years id guess . Possibly SL 2 . 
surely though there’s a wage % on pay off . A lot of fans think that if you're sacked one year into a four year contract you get paid the balance . However I’m sure it doesn’t work like that . Surely you’ve failed so no one would expect to be paid full price . 

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

I look at some of the smaller established Championship clubs like Blackburn, Millwall & Preston.

They have managers like Mowbray, Rowett & Neil, who whatever their individual qualities are all established & experienced at this level.

Our bright idea last summer was to give it to someone who had managed a L2 club for 15 games.

They must piss themselves laughing at how we are run.

Fans not particularly happy- sacked. That's the two bolded names.

"Smaller" is an interesting choice of words for the first in your list- by what metric? Blackburn have spent more time in the top two divisions- let alone trophies and European competition- by far over their history than us. If it's the here and now then yes less attendances, revenue, in some respects less facilities.

Barnsley appoint relatively unknown foreign- they definitely fall below us in the revenue and infrastructure stakes, yet they're flying. Brentford too though they seem to have stalled in recent weeks- too many draws.

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

This I assume isn’t unusual . if you're in NP’s position he would probably want 3 years id guess . Possibly SL 2 . 
surely though there’s a wage % on pay off . A lot of fans think that if you're sacked one year into a four year contract you get paid the balance . However I’m sure it doesn’t work like that . Surely you’ve failed so no one would expect to be paid full price . 

Your pay off terms CAN be whatever you write into the contract.  Every contract can be different.  Often the contract term is to ensure compensation if your manager gets poached, not the terms of a payoff.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Your pay off terms CAN be whatever you write into the contract.  Every contract can be different.  Often the contract term is to ensure compensation if your manager gets poached, not the terms of a payoff.

I can imagine that , as managers have egos & would go into each job as if they were the man to turn the fortunes . Like a woman taming a bad boy ? 

22 hours ago, chinapig said:

Having met Steve once presumably there needs to be a 4 week gap to his second interview. Anything else would not be rigorous.

But if his PowerPoint skills are not up to scratch he's a gonner.

So that's why Ashton is hanging around. Get the presentation sorted for Nige! No wonder it's taking eons.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Don't see Pearson getting poached after time spent at city will probably call it a day 

23 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What the title says, really.

There is no logical reason to delay this any longer now, there are only 2 games left, so SL will have seen enough to make a decision either way on Pearson’s future.

I can see both sides of this argument, results have been really very poor but also taking over an injury ravaged squad with so many out of contract who seem unable to be motivated, is a tough task.

My view for what it’s worth, is that I would appoint Pearson but not on the rumoured 3 year deal, I’d give him two years with a review built in after 12 months to then extend if things are going well.

Any talk of top six is fanciful, next season is all about finishing half way at best, we need major surgery & realistically you don’t get every decision regarding signings right.

If SL does have doubts there is no point in now continuing with NP though, as the new man needs appointing as soon as possible.

I don't think the delay is coming from SL. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the other way round, and Pearson is delaying until he gets what he wants. 

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fans not particularly happy- sacked. That's the two bolded names.

"Smaller" is an interesting choice of words for the first in your list- by what metric? Blackburn have spent more time in the top two divisions- let alone trophies and European competition- by far over their history than us. If it's the here and now then yes less attendances, revenue, in some respects less facilities.

Barnsley appoint relatively unknown foreign- they definitely fall below us in the revenue and infrastructure stakes, yet they're flying. Brentford too though they seem to have stalled in recent weeks- too many draws.

Neil had 4 years & had run his course, that’s fair enough.

Mowbray isn’t popular, I know.

Blackburn might have the history but their attendances are low, their catchment area tiny & the days of Shearer & Sutton are long gone.

I am not deluded, I know clubs like Forest & Sunderland are bigger than us, but these 3 are definitely smaller.

I was making a general point anyway & didn’t want to get bogged down re individuals, all these appointments had CVs to back them up, so did Ismael at Barnsley in a completely different league.

We however appointed LJ’s assistant, as I said before, someone who managed Oldham for 15 games FFS, there is only one conclusion to draw from that, we act small time & aren’t even in the game.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Neil had 4 years & had run his course, that’s fair enough.

Mowbray isn’t popular, I know.

Blackburn might have the history but their attendances are low, their catchment area tiny & the days of Shearer & Sutton are long gone.

I am not deluded, I know clubs like Forest & Sunderland are bigger than us, but these 3 are definitely smaller.

I was making a general point anyway & didn’t want to get bogged down re individuals, all these appointments had CVs to back them up, so did Ismael at Barnsley in a completely different league.

We however appointed LJ’s assistant, as I said before, someone who managed Oldham for 15 games FFS, there is only one conclusion to draw from that, we act small time & aren’t even in the game.

Dear Captain Hindsight

I raise you Scott Parker.  He had less managerial experience than Holden, but that appointment worked out well.  Every appointment, whether an old hand or a newbie, is a gamble.  Some succeed and others fail.  That's football.  If there was a sure fire way to pick a successful manager, all 92 clubs would be doing it.  But there isn't.

Sorry if this ruins your narrative. 

1 minute ago, red panda said:

Dear Captain Hindsight

I raise you Scott Parker.  He had less managerial experience than Holden, but that appointment worked out well.  Every appointment, whether an old hand or a newbie, is a gamble.  Some succeed and others fail.  That's football.  If there was a sure fire way to pick a successful manager, all 92 clubs would be doing it.  But there isn't.

Sorry if this ruins your narrative. 

It doesn’t actually ruin my “narrative” at all. 

As I had pointed out Ismael was a significantly different appointment from a Mick McCarthy say, but both arguably successful.

Everyone starts out somewhere, as Moyes did at Preston. 
Holden however had done absolutely nothing whatsoever that would suggest he would ever be a success, no “hindsight” at all, if you look at the reaction to his appointment it was amazement, shock & incredulity. It simply suggested we weren’t remotely ambitious & wanted to drift along.

Parker was a gamble & it came off, so fair play to Fulham, but like a Lampard or Steve Cooper, another one in the same vein, Parker’s standing within the game & Holden’s were just chalk & cheese.

10 hours ago, Harry said:

I hear both parties want to do a deal but they are still quite a way apart. Contract length seemingly the sticky point, but I’m sure they’ll meet somewhere near the middle. 

Thanks Harry. Any rumours flying round about Pearson's staff?

17 hours ago, Pezo said:

And there is the problem IMO - people in roles that aren't empowered to complete that role, a board that's supposed to have power over the executive but actually has limited power. 

I think he will sit on his hands as per usual and will get a huge shock when he checks the season ticket sales from his customers.

I realise that there is a lot to consider with this appointment, not least Pearsons staff and replacement for MA. But I can't help feeling that this has all the hallmarks of when LJ was sacked and DH got the job. 

Hope I'm wrong and SL can bring himself to tear up the majority of what he's implemented over the last few years and admit it hasn't worked, rather than carrying on with it and employing another head coach to work within the "system."

Can't see him changing tack, but living in hope - nothing new there..

6 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think he will sit on his hands as per usual and will get a huge shock when he checks the season ticket sales from his customers.

Well I'm sure he can see the statistics already and I assume they don't look pretty

23 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I realise that there is a lot to consider with this appointment, not least Pearsons staff and replacement for MA. But I can't help feeling that this has all the hallmarks of when LJ was sacked and DH got the job. 

Hope I'm wrong and SL can bring himself to tear up the majority of what he's implemented over the last few years and admit it hasn't worked, rather than carrying on with it and employing another head coach to work within the "system."

Can't see him changing tack, but living in hope - nothing new there..

Depends on SLs mindset but sticking to his plan probably involves a relegation and rebuild now. It’s getting tedious now.... 40+ years flipping between tier two and three. 
Hopefully a new way forward can be found and that has to focus, first and foremost, on getting the first team back on a more secure footing over the next year or two (which doesn’t mean you can’t play academy kids... just means it’s even more important they have strong characters around them). 
I’m with you - hope more than expectation. 

21 hours ago, Harry said:

Certainly not saying AG is a ruin. 
It’s a metaphorical view of the mess that Ashton is leaving behind him. 

Are they carrying on with the MA recruitment set-up or are they going to change it to more like it used to be? (Keith Burt type)

Archived