IGNORED

We need to make a decision this week.

GrahamC

Just now, Pezo said:

I want a club that delivers on the pitch, I think we need to put in the structure and everything else to achieve that - you have to have something that someone else doesn't have, we can't compete financially with the parachute payments but we could compete on putting in an organisation that supports our players as much as possible.

I accept its a bit of an abstraction but what can we offer that other clubs can't? 

I don't disagree but the structure you allude to is surely precisely what Steve Lansdown has spent the best part of a decade trying to assemble. He's talked about almost nothing else!

It now appears that far from having a structure in which when a head coach departs another slots in, or when the CEO leaves he leaves a robust admin and recruitment structure that his successor picks up, the club has to start again. What's the last half dozen years been about if it's not been about a building sustainable club...because it's certainly not been about playing attractive football!

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with you, this is symptomatic of everything that has gone wrong with football. They are no longer clubs rooted in their communities, they are corporations, run by suited men with spreadsheets and databases. The Manager of the team used to be most important, now its

1. CEO

2. Player’s Agents

3. Players

4. Manager/DoF

5. Head Coach. 

I guess it could be argued that is the model that has worked post Bosman so everyone has adopted it, we can't unfortunately get away from the fact football has become a multi billion pound business. 

Listening recently to things like collective bargaining makes me realise that what we're really buying at a high level is access to football, football is the business, not an individual club as a business that they want to sell to fans, they want to sell football to the world - that's the way the owners seem to see it, with some notable close exceptions they don't care which club they own they just want a piece of the pie and the bigger the better. 

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I don't disagree but the structure you allude to is surely precisely what Steve Lansdown has spent the best part of a decade trying to assemble. He's talked about almost nothing else!

It now appears that far from having a structure in which when a head coach departs another slots in, or when the CEO leaves he leaves a robust admin and recruitment structure that his successor picks up, the club has to start again. What's the last half dozen years been about if it's not been about a building sustainable club...because it's certainly not been about playing attractive football!

Steve's definition of sustainable seems to be ever-increasing costs to deliver worse performance.

5 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I guess it could be argued that is the model that has worked post Bosman so everyone has adopted it, we can't unfortunately get away from the fact football has become a multi billion pound business. 

Listening recently to things like collective bargaining makes me realise that what we're really buying at a high level is access to football, football is the business, not an individual club as a business that they want to sell to fans, they want to sell football to the world - that's the way the owners seem to see it, with some notable close exceptions they don't care which club they own they just want a piece of the pie and the bigger the better. 

Yes, Gillette’s tongue slip on acquiring Liverpool that it was a “world famous Franchise”, may have offended LFC fans, but it wasn’t really so wide of the mark. 

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

As a club we do come across a bit "all the gear, no idea". I could quite easily imagine clubs like Norwich, Swansea, Brentford, Watford and the like having that impression of us.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

As a club we do come across a bit "all the gear, no idea". I could quite easily imagine clubs like Norwich, Swansea, Brentford, Watford and the like having that impression of us.

But Ashton says other clubs beat a path to his door to ask how we do such a great job. We meaning he of course.

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What the title says, really.

There is no logical reason to delay this any longer now, there are only 2 games left, so SL will have seen enough to make a decision either way on Pearson’s future.

I can see both sides of this argument, results have been really very poor but also taking over an injury ravaged squad with so many out of contract who seem unable to be motivated, is a tough task.

My view for what it’s worth, is that I would appoint Pearson but not on the rumoured 3 year deal, I’d give him two years with a review built in after 12 months to then extend if things are going well.

Any talk of top six is fanciful, next season is all about finishing half way at best, we need major surgery & realistically you don’t get every decision regarding signings right.

If SL does have doubts there is no point in now continuing with NP though, as the new man needs appointing as soon as possible.

Considering the players we played in the first half yesterday vs Luton, the dominance and chances we created, I'd say that Pearson can get a reasonable team out there.

Of course, that 1st side wouldn't be goo enough for promotion, but they'd be an average mid table side. The challenge is for NP to bring in 3 or 4 players who will get rid of that soft underbelly that we have, and allow us to hold onto winning leads. If we can do that, then we may be able to finish top half of the table.

The step after then, is to bring in players over subsequent transfer windows to increase out ability levels to enable us to push for the top 6.

I do honestly think NP is the manager to take us forward, but it's going to take a lot of work both behind the scenes and in the transfer market. As others have said, we may need to sacrifice some of our players to enable us to strengthen other areas of the team.

The only saving grace I can see, is that we'll lose ~13 OOC players, saving a fortune of wages, which we can potentially put towards 4 or 5 players instead, but you are right, NP needs to be appointed pretty soon and allowed to get on with it.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I think that's why he was so desperate for MA to stay.

He knows a new CEO will want to change it all - maybe not as quickly as a manger would but managers are very tactical because they have to deal with real life on the ground CEOs have the advantage and disadvantage of being abstracted from the hands on to figure out what should be done as opposed to needs to be done and figuring out how to cross that gap. They will want to change it all though.

SL basically pushed the problem further up the tree in the hope that that position wouldn't change very often - he may turn out to be correct but right now we are basically at the start of being between strategies and the next 3 months are going to be pivotal for Bristol City. 

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

100%.

I look at some of the smaller established Championship clubs like Blackburn, Millwall & Preston.

They have managers like Mowbray, Rowett & Neil, who whatever their individual qualities are all established & experienced at this level.

Our bright idea last summer was to give it to someone who had managed a L2 club for 15 games.

They must piss themselves laughing at how we are run.

3 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Considering the players we played in the first half yesterday vs Luton, the dominance and chances we created, I'd say that Pearson can get a reasonable team out there.

Of course, that 1st side wouldn't be goo enough for promotion, but they'd be an average mid table side. The challenge is for NP to bring in 3 or 4 players who will get rid of that soft underbelly that we have, and allow us to hold onto winning leads. If we can do that, then we may be able to finish top half of the table.

The step after then, is to bring in players over subsequent transfer windows to increase out ability levels to enable us to push for the top 6.

I do honestly think NP is the manager to take us forward, but it's going to take a lot of work both behind the scenes and in the transfer market. As others have said, we may need to sacrifice some of our players to enable us to strengthen other areas of the team.

The only saving grace I can see, is that we'll lose ~13 OOC players, saving a fortune of wages, which we can potentially put towards 4 or 5 players instead, but you are right, NP needs to be appointed pretty soon and allowed to get on with it.

On the field that is the obvious plan. Clearly there are also directly related off the field issues in recruitment and medical/strength & conditioning that simply must be addressed in order to give the plan a chance. The fact the we have gone so far downhill in a three year period under ex and soon to be ex-employees is neither here nor there save for learning the lessons and making sure it isn't repeated. What else is there to be discussed except for the HOW and HOW MUCH?

In terms of further savings to the ooc player wages I would imagine we will have several youngsters on loan next season as lower league clubs will be more than happy to take relatively cheap kids with demonstrable "Championship experience" and I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the contracted players are also sent on loan somewhere with a view to a permanent transfer (lets be fair, who would buy any of them right now?). 

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

All fur and no knickers as my old mum used to say.

A baggies supporting mate was pissing himself when we played them at home a few years ago - the Mega Store, it was akin to a  small porta cabin ffs. Club shop would have sufficed.

We need to get away from the ridiculous hype imo such as High Performance Centre.

42 minutes ago, glynriley said:

After listening to his Radio Bristol interview yesterday, it got me thinking. He was far more forthright than he's been before, not quite the full Joey Barton, but certainly left the players in no doubt as to what he thinks of them.

I wonder if, after meeting SL on Friday, he knows he's got the job, but they're holding off announcing it to give some of the players enough rope to hang themselves. Probably way off, but just a thought.

I find he usually is a bit more forthright on radio (external) than with club (internal).

There’s a difference between the decision being made and the decision being announced.

Reading between the lines, and of course I could be wrong, it seems pretty clear Pearson has been told the job is his and it will be announced in due course.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

There is no logical reason to delay this any longer now, there are only 2 games left, so SL will have seen enough to make a decision either way on Pearson’s future.

I can see both sides of this argument, results have been really very poor but also taking over an injury ravaged squad with so many out of contract who seem unable to be motivated, is a tough task.

My view for what it’s worth, is that I would appoint Pearson but not on the rumoured 3 year deal, I’d give him two years with a review built in after 12 months to then extend if things are going well.

Any talk of top six is fanciful, next season is all about finishing half way at best, we need major surgery & realistically you don’t get every decision regarding signings right.

If SL does have doubts there is no point in now continuing with NP though, as the new man needs appointing as soon as possible.

I guess the delay could be due to any of the following:

Investment/takeover 

Appointment of CEO and /or DoF

Appointment of NP's coaching team

Or...

Indecision.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I find he usually is a bit more forthright on radio (external) than with club (internal).

Forthright, yesterday, was literally issuing threats (although he was at pains to say they weren't threats!!) to players. Why would that even cross your mind if you were picking up your last pay cheque in a month or so? Surely you would just think "stay calm, don't get emotional Nige, it's somebody else's issue in a few weeks"..........

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Forthright, yesterday, was literally issuing threats (although he was at pains to say they weren't threats!!) to players. Why would that even cross your mind if you were picking up your last pay cheque in a month or so? Surely you would just think "stay calm, don't get emotional Nige, it's somebody else's issue in a few weeks"..........

Wouldn't that mean he is no different to the players ?

I'm putting his forthright views down to post match frustration more than anything else.

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

All fur and no knickers as my old mum used to say.

A baggies supporting mate was pissing himself when we played them at home a few years ago - the Mega Store, it was akin to a  small porta cabin ffs. Club shop would have sufficed.

We need to get away from the ridiculous hype imo such as High Performance Centre.

It's the Low Performance Centre (AKA Ashton Gate) that I'm more worried about.

Would imagine any delay in announcement is they’ll want to confirm the management team in one go rather than separate announcements.

Steve Walsh as DoF would seem the obvious one, but in terms of NP’s backup, that’s a more difficult one with Shakespeare at Villa, Powell at Spurs and Stowell at Leicester (them being the names previously mentioned as contenders). Don’t know who else NP has previously worked closely with, but can’t imagine he’d be happy with Simpson and Downing as his back up.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Wouldn't that mean he is no different to the players ?

I'm putting his forthright views down to post match frustration more than anything else.

Why would you put yourself through it though if you have been told there is no future for you at the club? I wouldn't bother and would be totally indifferent to it all.

I'm (perhaps optimistically) putting it down to the fact that over the next five weeks he knows he has to be calling these players into his office and telling them they are surplus to requirements, which I would imagine is a pretty shitty part of the job unless you are some rogue psychopath (no names but would be a good fit at the Theatre of Tents) and therefore allowed his frustration to surface in interview.

8 minutes ago, S_C said:

There’s a difference between the decision being made and the decision being announced.

Reading between the lines, and of course I could be wrong, it seems pretty clear Pearson has been told the job is his and it will be announced in due course.

This is my view. As long as NP  knows if he's staying then thats what matters most. Us customers can be informed in due course!

7 minutes ago, S_C said:

Sorry to quote myself, was editing but didn’t want to potentially misrepresent the ‘like’..

The only way I can see Pearson not getting the job now is if Lansdown, for whatever reason, changes his mind. My interpretation of the situation is that they’ve spoke, Pearson has said he wants the job, Lansdown has said he wants to give him the job, Pearson has said I’d like to do x, y and z structurally, Lansdown has said that’s fine, we’ll work on that.

Pearson is being very clear publicly that he wants the job and that simply wouldn’t be happening if he felt he wasn’t going to get it.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Completely agree.

What's more, the club need to be identifying and negotiating next season's transfer targets now, and making a decision on all the OOC contract players. I've no idea what is going on with Ashton's departure and who is doing what but we've a lot of players out of contract and other clubs have a lot of players out of contract but we need to act quickly to get the players we need.

Again, that probably needs the players to know what manager they are working with. 

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

It has to be Pearson now, regardless.

It’s probably too late for anybody else to come in and work with this squad, the scars are that bad. He’s had a good look at us and said yesterday what we’ve all been saying for months/years.

Let Nige get to work...

This is a really important point for me. If Nigel isn't appointed, then what are we saying for the next person to come in.  They will need time to make their own assessment of where the priority areas are, get to know the character left in the team and there's no time left for that.   

Rebuild has to start now in time for the new season. Last thing we need is someone to come in and take the summer to guess the areas and and recruit and then use the start of next season to assess things. 

Hopefully they'll announce Nigel very soon so there's some level of a plan to love forward with. 

I agree Graham.

SL was happy to step back and let MA and the boy run things.

Now he can do the same, but instead let Nige drive.

Ok, Nige will need the appropriate support - an assistant of some kind, and someone (who might wear a suit rather than boots) to oversee what we used to call scouting back in the day. 

I see no reason to delay.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I agree Graham - although a more pressing personal concern in our household is whether - or when - to renew the season tickets! Edging towards doing so if Pearson is confirmed.

'Prevarication' does seem to be Steve Lansdown's middle name. I'm not sure what he's expecting Nigel Pearson to achieve with what he has at his disposal. If I were in Pearson's position I'd be trying to get to the end of the season without sustaining any more damage to the morale of the players who will be staying. If Lansdown isn't going to appoint Nigel Pearson he'd better get his finger out.

If Landsdown and the Board have already decided Nigel isn't the man for the Job, then they better have already decided on their Plan B over the last few weeks and started to make contact with their representatives/club rather than announce Nigel isn't staying and then needing to start from scratch otherwise we really are in trouble (could it get any worse).

Archived