IGNORED

Piercy article in the Post

SecretSam

23 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

I'm happy to buck the trend here and say that to me it's a nothing article.

Nothing, that is, in the sense of providing any further insight as to how the current debacle at BCFC might be addressed.

No offence to Piercy. 

You're right but it's not supposed to provide any further insight, more summarise the current situation which I think it does well to be fair.

Despite Pearson's awful tenure so far I do still think he's the man for the job. He's the first manager we've had in a very long time who seems to have identified the issues, unfortunately his hands are tied at the moment due to injuries and no transfer window.

Positives are players like Massengo, Bakinson, Pearson and Conway all looking bright so it's not all doom and gloom.

29 minutes ago, DaveF said:

You're right but it's not supposed to provide any further insight, more summarise the current situation which I think it does well to be fair.

Despite Pearson's awful tenure so far I do still think he's the man for the job. He's the first manager we've had in a very long time who seems to have identified the issues, unfortunately his hands are tied at the moment due to injuries and no transfer window.

Positives are players like Massengo, Bakinson, Pearson and Conway all looking bright so it's not all doom and gloom.

I also suspect that he might be the the first manager for a very long time with the experience and self confidence that gives him , to tell SL the truth about how things are and how they need to change.

My hope is that when he was  appointed,  SL realised that on the pitch we were getting worse, not better, and that besides avoiding relegation, the other part of the brief he gave NP was to give a detailed analysis of playing side the club ( hopefully to include scouting , coaching and medical support) with recommendations as to what is needed to reverse the decline over the last 18 months or so and to realistically see us challenging t the top end of the table.

If SL made such a request, then I would hope he would be ready for not only hearing the worst, but being prepared to act on it.

27 minutes ago, KegCity said:

For me, it comes down to the fact that the current squad simply isn't good enough. If we hadn't been ravaged by injuries we might've made mid table, but either way the team isn't good enough to get anywhere near the top 6. Holden, as Lee's assistant, was at least present when the current squad was put together, so knows the players and had no real excuse for not getting performances other than a lack of management ability.

Pearson has to deal with a squad that's not good enough, with even more injuries arising, that he had no influence in putting together. He's accurately summed up where the club and playing squad is going wrong, these problems can't be fixed without access to the transfer market. I'm not making excuses for the results, just contextualising them. I don't really know what anyone expected Pearson to do on arrival? He's in charge of a group of players that have been far too comfortable for far too long and many of them need to leave the club ASAP. The players that do care and do want to fight for their place have shown signs of improvement, focus on them and go again next season with a rejuvenated squad imo.

I always felt that Holden did get the best out of the players for a lot of his tenure, but was appallingly hit by injuries.  Don’t forget that in November and December we were down to the bare bones, with no recalled loan players, and ended up in the dire situation of having no left back and playing Towler against Saar.  A fully fit squad would have seen a very different team at the beginning of the season.  We might have been looking at something like:

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Baker Dasilva

Walsh Williams O’Dowda

Weimann

Martin Wells

That’s not at all a bad team.  Ultimately Holden was let down by the players (he certainly felt so) but had been crippled by the injuries.  However I don’t buy this notion that the players don’t care; rather, I think it’s been a horrible season with no fans and disastrous injuries and they’ve run out of motivation and self-belief.

That said the one question I ask of Pearson is “Has he got the best out of the players available to him?”, and I just don’t think that he has.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I always felt that Holden did get the best out of the players for a lot of his tenure, but was appallingly hit by injuries.  Don’t forget that in November and December we were down to the bare bones, with no recalled loan players, and ended up in the dire situation of having no left back and playing Towler against Saar.  A fully fit squad would have seen a very different team at the beginning of the season.  We might have been looking at something like:

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Baker Dasilva

Walsh Williams O’Dowda

Weimann

Martin Wells

That’s not at all a bad team.  Ultimately Holden was let down by the players (he certainly felt so) but had been crippled by the injuries.  However I don’t buy this notion that the players don’t care; rather, I think it’s been a horrible season with no fans and disastrous injuries and they’ve run out of motivation and self-belief.

That said the one question I ask of Pearson is “Has he got the best out of the players available to him?”, and I just don’t think that he has.

Yeh not a bad team, apart from the absolute joker at RB

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

For reasons I cannot explain Jamie McCombe popped into my head the other day, a pretty limited but hugely effective 

Off topic, but i absolutely loved McCombe, unreal in League 1 topped off with the away goal at Doncaster late on, remember it like it was yesterday.

He was extremely limited in the Championship, but his goals against Palace & the spectacular against Hull take some beating!

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

I was delighted with the appointment, but sometimes its just a case of wrong place wrong time. If he gets appointed full time and nothing changes lansdown would be castigated yet again for appointing the caretaker manager with the worst record in known history to have then got the job full time.

That won't be the case because the vast majority of fans want him in the building. How can they then blame Steve for putting him in the building if results go wrong? I think most fans will accept that next season is a transitional season and will expect mixed results. If we stay in the league, play better football and show signs of improvement that will be enough for sensible supporters rather than idiotic supporters who ignore facts and expect top 6 regardless. If that happens and Pearson fails to kick on from that point then he will come under scrutiny and depending how under performing he is perceived could lose his job. The expectation is that if Pearson stays for a while (which means he is doing well) or stays for 18 months-2 years then the club will be in a far better place for the next Manager after him than where he found it.

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Baker Dasilva

Walsh Williams O’Dowda

Weimann

Martin Wells

Holden did get the best out of the players in terms of RESULTS. However, performances all season have been mediocre at best and the statistics show that so clearly. We have been getting outplayed week after week all season with the odd exception. Shithousing 1-0 wins when you have had 6 shots and the opposition 18 shots is all well and good but it's not sustainable on any level. The Huddersfield game in particular that Holden won was the most embarrassing win I have ever sat through.......bar none, so much so that I couldn't even be happy we won. We should have got battered 8-2 at home yet we won 2-1...........that is called getting a result not getting the best out of players imo.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Just a couple of points on my, for one, ‘incredible, though not at all surprising’ feelings about Nigel Pearson.

1.  While Holden was in charge, he and the coaches were held entirely responsible for the team’s shortcomings; the players were absolved from all responsibility.  Since Pearson was appointed the reverse has consistently been true: nothing that has happened since Holden was sacked appears to be Pearson’s responsibility, all of it is down to the players.  Pearson, it would appear, can do no wrong.

2.  Holden’s final dozen games in charge yielded a similar number of points to what Pearson has accrued.  However, interestingly Holden’s last five games were against Reading, Watford, Sheff Utd, Cardiff and Brentford.  In our last five games we have failed to beat Luton, Wycombe, Sheff Wed, Forest and Coventry.  We were losing no more prolifically under Holden, but his was the more difficult run of matches.  What’s worse, to surrender a two goal lead against Luton or to lose 6-0 to a premier league team in waiting?

Don’t get me wrong, I felt that Holden’s time was probably up and was excited by Pearson’s appointment, but I can’t ignore that Pearson’s record is no better than Holden’s, in an easier run of games on paper, and while I admire the confidence people have in him, what is ‘not at all surprising’ (and hardly incredible) is that not all people are presently sharing that confidence, given the shockingly awful results under his management.

Those teams who beat us recently have mostly had something to play for, that makes it as difficult a challenge as playing premier league teams in waiting.

Were Pearson in charge and then replaced by Holden then we would be making the same comparisons and absolving Holden of blame

16 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Baker Dasilva

Walsh Williams O’Dowda

Weimann

Martin Wells

Strategy. 
That’s what happens when you spend the previous 3 transfer windows on mostly overage or injury prone players. 
When those older and injury prone players then surprisingly get, umm, injured, you then have to work the rest of them into the ground, thus enabling their muscular injuries. 
There are never any guarantees in recruitment, but you give yourself a better chance of success if you don’t almost exclusively sign over 30’s and/or those with recent injury history. 

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

This obsession with getting something out of the players here now. This insistence in the myth in football of one bloke sweeping in and single-handedly transforming a rotten team into the opposite. 

Why would this group of players - safe from relegation, not going for promotion, weeks from an injury free summer break, out of contract in the summer, playing in empty grounds, probably aware of the disdain of absent supporters - why would they up their game now? 

What's in it for them?

What's in it for them? The intrinsic and extrinsic. All these players are not the same. Like posters on otib people are divergent. Its uneven to label a group of individuals with a behaviour when its behaviours. Football players get to where they are because they are focussed and driven. Those drivers do alter, but entire groups do not all suffer the same negative change in mindset.

Its not an obsession to be able to look at a teams football and have an expectation of seeing improvement being coached in over a short term. The overall points may not have improved but there should be reflections of the new mans influence and their values present in the football. 

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Those teams who beat us recently have mostly had something to play for, that makes it as difficult a challenge as playing premier league teams in waiting.

Were Pearson in charge and then replaced by Holden then we would be making the same comparisons and absolving Holden of blame

I don't think we'd be blaming Holden but, if he'd come in as caretaker manager and got the results Pearson has, we certainly wouldn't be expecting or asking for him to be offered the role full time. We'd say he'd done his best but we needed a permanent, experienced manager to turn things round.

I'm not saying we should not keep Pearson - I do think he's achieved enough in his career that he should not be judged on eleven matches and we need to remember Gary Johnson had an appalling run in his first season and still got us promotion and then our best finish since 1980 - but an inexperienced caretaker would be judged to a different standard. 

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

What's in it for them? The intrinsic and extrinsic. All these players are not the same. Like posters on otib people are divergent. Its uneven to label a group of individuals with a behaviour when its behaviours. Football players get to where they are because they are focussed and driven. Those drivers do alter, but entire groups do not all suffer the same negative change in mindset.

Its not an obsession to be able to look at a teams football and have an expectation of seeing improvement being coached over a short term. The overall points may not have improved but there should be reflections of the new mans influence and their values present in the football. 

You can argue that on Sunday there were clear improvements shown on the attacking side of things (we normally struggle to create two shots in a half let along score two goals) completely ruined by basic mistakes from senior players who should know far better for all three goals conceded. Unless you have replacement players which we don't have with our injury situation you cannot control experienced international players losing concentration for a split second on a couple of occasions over 90 minutes. The second goal for example has got nothing to do with coaching or motivation. How can a player have time to side foot the ball home from a high cross. Kalas who is a far better defender than that simply lost his head for a split second, no other explanation for it. No coaching textbook can change that. All we can do at the moment is keep picking players in key positions that we know CAN do the job and hope they WILL do the job next time out because we have no alternative. The issues we have defensively at set pieces cannot also be coached out of players when you have the odd free week between games, that will take work over a period of weeks in pre-season.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You can argue that on Sunday there were clear improvements shown on the attacking side of things (we normally struggle to create two shots in a half let along score two goals) completely ruined by basic mistakes from senior players who should know far better for all three goals conceded. Unless you have replacement players which we don't have with our injury situation you cannot control experienced international players losing concentration for a split second on a couple of occasions over 90 minutes. The second goal for example has got nothing to do with coaching or motivation. How can a player have time to side foot the ball home from a high cross. Kalas who is a far better defender than that simply lost his head for a split second, no other explanation for it. No coaching textbook can change that. All we can do at the moment is keep picking players in key positions that we know CAN do the job and hope they WILL do the job next time out because we have no alternative. The issues we have defensively at set pieces cannot also be coached out of players when you have the odd free week between games, that will take work over a period of weeks in pre-season.

You can also argue that taking one game riddled with error and taking part of it as an improvement v the wider picture of performance over a period is no improvement at all. 

In regards to players losing concentration. Concentration can be coached in. Confidence can be improved by coaching. Players who know what they are doing make less mistakes because they become more confident and concentration levels increase (normally). In the period of time Mr Pearson has been here it is possible to concentrate time of set pieces. It is one of the five elements of play that will always be part of training. Its an area where I really would expect to see improvement. 

2 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

@Davefevsshared a chart that showed how Nottingham Forest had improved under Hughton, especially after the last transfer window. 
NP gets a lot of leeway on results because he has been forced to work with this group of players and limits imposed by the injuries. He can be fairly judged on results and performances next season, if he gets the opportunity. 
As many others have said, if NP is not to continue, SL will need to move quickly to avoid exacerbating current problems.

One other thing that Hughton had afforded to him was:

he was able to bring in his own coaches.....appointed Paul Trollope and Steven Reid.

So, not only a transfer window, but his own coaches too.  That’s vital.

56 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I always felt that Holden did get the best out of the players for a lot of his tenure, but was appallingly hit by injuries.  Don’t forget that in November and December we were down to the bare bones, with no recalled loan players, and ended up in the dire situation of having no left back and playing Towler against Saar.  

Except that was in mid-February, after the transfer window had closed and loaned players had returned. That was Holden's choice, I'm afraid. 

3 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Well, that's seeds sown publicly that NP isnt staying. It also ties in with the come and get me plea from NP at the weekend where he was very quick to distance himself from everything here. 

Great article. 

Why does it?  Reads like a well-balanced, both sides of the argument piece to me

Did NP distance himself?  I read his interviews as he wants to get started here.

It was a good article though, expect nothing less from James.

13 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You can also argue that taking one game riddled with error and taking part of it as an improvement v the wider picture of performance over a period is no improvement at all. 

In regards to players losing concentration. Concentration can be coached in. Confidence can be improved by coaching. Players who know what they are doing make less mistakes because they become more confident and concentration levels increase (normally). In the period of time Mr Pearson has been here it is possible to concentrate time of set pieces. It is one of the five elements of play that will always be part of training. Its an area where I really would expect to see improvement. 

On Sunday we were looking at an International Centre Half who does know what he's doing losing concentration. It happens. Nothing more and nothing less.

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

A fascinating read, raises some good points, but doesn't have the answers. 

Nigel Pearson isn't making it easy for Steve Lansdown as Bristol City's wait goes on

However, one point sticks out - would a "young", inexperienced manager have been given the same leeway at NP has been, and still have the overwhelming backing of the fans? Now, I'm not saying NP isn't the right choice - and there's an element of rock and hard place here - but although he's said the right things, he's still not been able to bring more out of the players.

I think there are 2 reasons why NP is popular

a) he has a track record and a profile that will attract players

b) he says the attitude of the squad is awful and we need a huge clear out.

This is a refreshing change after 4 years of PC press releases

5 minutes ago, tin said:

Except that was in mid-February, after the transfer window had closed and loaned players had returned. That was Holden's choice, I'm afraid. 

In fairness, Holden recalled Pring and Nurse....unfortunately, Pring got injured, Nurse was injured and it didn’t rehab quickly enough for him to provide cover.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Why does it?  Reads like a well-balanced, both sides of the argument piece to me

Did NP distance himself?  I read his interviews as he wants to get started here.

It was a good article though, expect nothing less from James.

The amount of conjecture that is flying around is astonishing. The article is an OPINION of a journalist. Whether it's the best article ever written in the history of journalism or the worst it is not a confirmation of anything. The sooner this is all resolved, either way, the better.

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think there are 2 reasons why NP is popular

a) he has a track record and a profile that will attract players

b) he says the attitude of the squad is awful and we need a huge clear out.

This is a refreshing change after 4 years of PC press releases

Popular with the supporters maybe, but is he as popular with SL following dire performances and breaking ranks with the comments he's made ?

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The amount of conjecture that is flying around is astonishing. The article is an OPINION of a journalist. Whether it's the best article ever written in the history of journalism or the worst it is not a confirmation of anything. The sooner this is all resolved, either way, the better.

Agreed. You might read that article - as I did - as a pulling together of the many opinions that you can read on OTIB, or indeed on this thread!

It wasn't revealing anything we don't already know. 

22 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

We’ve all seen teams on losing runs, lacking in confidence, concede all manner of shit goals, from ridiculous lapses of concentration, to worldie own goals, flukey opposition shots etc.  Shit happens.

Dont get me wrong I expected NP to have a bigger impact on results, but I don’t think it’s unexpected bearing in mind the various circumstances he’s took over in.  Whether posters wish to take them into account or not is up to each poster....as it will be for SL.

It will be whatever it will be.  But hurry up and decide and then back your judgement SL....and comms that to the fans in the meantime.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

On Sunday we were looking at an International Centre Half who does know what he's doing losing concentration. It happens. Nothing more and nothing less.

Your view.

Another. On Sunday we were looking at a repeat of team behaviours.

A behaviour at set pieces. And out of possession v a cross - Kalas and the defensive line .. He did not have one that was the same as his team mates. Seen it before. 

The nothing more nothing less response is interesting. Its negative. It does not refocus. Its flat like City. Lacking fire. That describes Mr Pearson's impact. Where is the fire? Where are your motivational qualities? A lot of blaming going on. 

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

I was delighted with the appointment, but sometimes its just a case of wrong place wrong time. If he gets appointed full time and nothing changes lansdown would be castigated yet again for appointing the caretaker manager with the worst record in known history to have then got the job full time.

Very black & white statement . You have to take everything into account. As stated above . NP has inherited a worse mess than SOD did. He got sacked for where we were in in the league but he had a huge imbalanced squad , a lot of journeymen that couldn’t be ****** to be here & had to sort it out. He ripped up some consultants player recruitment plan , think his name was Mark Ashton . Implemented the recruitment of fielding , JET, pack, Flint with Kieth Burt . He laid the foundation for cotts to come in & take it forward. 
NP in some ways is in a worse position . He’s inherited a lopsided un motivated squad put together by MA , the only upside is so many out of contract. 
How fans can’t see the shit hand he’s been dealt though & just look at results is baffling to say the least. 

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

This obsession with getting something out of the players here now. This insistence in the myth in football of one bloke sweeping in and single-handedly transforming a rotten team into the opposite. 

Why would this group of players - safe from relegation, not going for promotion, weeks from an injury free summer break, out of contract in the summer, playing in empty grounds, probably aware of the disdain of absent supporters - why would they up their game now? 

What's in it for them?

Personal pride and earning their salary 

An observation from myself...and I could be wrong, as I don't have the stats. But from watching...we seem happy, or can't be added, to let the ball be crossed or passed into our box and defend from there. 

LJ used to bang on about box entries...something we aren't good at doing, but even worse at allowing to happen to us.

I look at the efforts to stop crosses...its lack lustre, no conviction. It's gets to your man and stick a leg out...looking like you're trying.

How many balls come into the box from midfielders advancing through the middle, with our lot hardly making an effort to stop the pass? 

Often HNM trying to get back to stop it...whilst others dawdle....or don't even try to tackle or block. 

It's an observation I've mentally noted.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Baker Dasilva

Walsh Williams O’Dowda

Weimann

Martin Wells

We'll have to agree to disagree then, I've seen a real lack of pride in performances for most of the season, and I think if fans were in the grounds the players would know about it. Blaming the current dross on a lack of fans doesn't hold water for me, the home performances were dreadful pre-Covid as well. Imo this has been coming for the last two seasons and we are now having to deal with the incompetence and general apathy that took hold in the latter months of Lee's time at the club that then exploded once Holden was appointed. I didn't see anything to fill me with confidence under Holden, I thought the players looked clueless and scared, at least under Pearson there seems to be a bit more of a plan for games, even if it goes out of the window as soon as we concede.

Do you feel we're in that bad a state, or is the situation better than that? If not Pearson, then who?

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Personal pride and earning their salary 

....and reflected by the current manager that some players don’t have that character trait.  We aren’t surprised, just finally heard a manager say it.  Was LJ’s “trusted ones” any different, but acknowledging he had some “shits” in his squad, just like now.  Problem for Lee was that having used that comment he then had to select a different set of trusted ones next games.

You could argue that NP continues to play his “shit attitude” players too, that’s a fair argument, but you have to also consider what he has available to him....and his MO about not damaging the kids.

I think it’s a bit of a complex situation he’s arrived into, because of what’s gone on before re Contracts.  It’s created a big problem.

That’s my stance.

If SL now thinks NP isn’t right, that’s his prerogative, as owner.  But I wonder who he’d get in instead.  That is my fear.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We’ve all seen teams on losing runs, lacking in confidence, concede all manner of shit goals, from ridiculous lapses of concentration, to worldie own goals, flukey opposition shots etc.  Shit happens.

Dont get me wrong I expected NP to have a bigger impact on results, but I don’t think it’s unexpected bearing in mind the various circumstances he’s took over in.  Whether posters wish to take them into account or not is up to each poster....as it will be for SL.

It will be whatever it will be.  But hurry up and decide and then back your judgement SL....and comms that to the fans in the meantime.

Organisation and knowledge bolsters confidence. Less lapses of concentration. The goals Sunday and the near misses from throw ins follow clear themes over the losing run. 

I expected to see a bigger impact on organisation. I would have expected the Manager as a ex cb, as a organiser, would look upon these themes as anathema, and his responsibility, his challenge to put right.

Not been the solutions not excuses man ...Yet.

Archived