IGNORED

Piercy article in the Post

SecretSam

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

Off topic, but i absolutely loved McCombe, unreal in League 1 topped off with the away goal at Doncaster late on, remember it like it was yesterday.

He was extremely limited in the Championship, but his goals against Palace & the spectacular against Hull take some beating!

Drank champagne after that goal for some reason - what a player he was for us 

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Personal pride and earning their salary 

Exactly this @And Its Smith, stolen my thunder! Professional & personal pride in your performance to your team mates, manager and employers. Too many stealing a living and going through the motions - I suspect with crowds, particularly at home, this might have been addressed with some self analysis and soul searching. Most fans want the same - play with passion and pride every game, give it your all, even if you lose - but effort, passion and desire are an absolute minimum.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We’ve all seen teams on losing runs, lacking in confidence, concede all manner of shit goals, from ridiculous lapses of concentration, to worldie own goals, flukey opposition shots etc.  Shit happens.

Dont get me wrong I expected NP to have a bigger impact on results, but I don’t think it’s unexpected bearing in mind the various circumstances he’s took over in.  Whether posters wish to take them into account or not is up to each poster....as it will be for SL.

It will be whatever it will be.  But hurry up and decide and then back your judgement SL....and comms that to the fans in the meantime.

Couldn’t agree more - only time will tell if NP is the right man for the next job but i see him as good an option as anyone right now if im honest. Experienced and clearly his own man which is what i think we need to get back on track - as it’s stands i would already bite your hand off for finishing 4th from bottom next season as a guarantee 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Just a couple of points on my, for one, ‘incredible, though not at all surprising’ feelings about Nigel Pearson.

1.  While Holden was in charge, he and the coaches were held entirely responsible for the team’s shortcomings; the players were absolved from all responsibility.  Since Pearson was appointed the reverse has consistently been true: nothing that has happened since Holden was sacked appears to be Pearson’s responsibility, all of it is down to the players.  Pearson, it would appear, can do no wrong.

2.  Holden’s final dozen games in charge yielded a similar number of points to what Pearson has accrued.  However, interestingly Holden’s last five games were against Reading, Watford, Sheff Utd, Cardiff and Brentford.  In our last five games we have failed to beat Luton, Wycombe, Sheff Wed, Forest and Coventry.  We were losing no more prolifically under Holden, but his was the more difficult run of matches.  What’s worse, to surrender a two goal lead against Luton or to lose 6-0 to a premier league team in waiting?

Don’t get me wrong, I felt that Holden’s time was probably up and was excited by Pearson’s appointment, but I can’t ignore that Pearson’s record is no better than Holden’s, in an easier run of games on paper, and while I admire the confidence people have in him, what is ‘not at all surprising’ (and hardly incredible) is that not all people are presently sharing that confidence, given the shockingly awful results under his management.

As I said in reply to you the other day (I think it was you, but forgive me if not), nobody can be certain of success. I definitely have doubts. It just feels really reactionary to have changed opinion based on the very little we’ve seen and in the circumstances he’s inherited.

So, I do find it incredible and it’s a view I struggle to understand or empathise with, but one I respect all the same. And the one thing I’m sure we will agree on is that whatever path the board chooses let’s hope it leads to success. It’s not about points scoring between fans is it? We’re on the same team. ?

8 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's put doubt out there in the public domain. 

And yes, I saw NP throw everyone to the wolves, distancing himself to paraphrase. 

There is a difference between questioning attitudes and throwing people to the wolves - we can all see things with our own eyes what’s happening,  he’s not saying anything we cant all see and surely we are all bored of dull and boring interviews where you turn off as you know full well the manager is not saying what he actually thinks. 

4 hours ago, SecretSam said:

A fascinating read, raises some good points, but doesn't have the answers. 

Nigel Pearson isn't making it easy for Steve Lansdown as Bristol City's wait goes on

However, one point sticks out - would a "young", inexperienced manager have been given the same leeway at NP has been, and still have the overwhelming backing of the fans? Now, I'm not saying NP isn't the right choice - and there's an element of rock and hard place here - but although he's said the right things, he's still not been able to bring more out of the players.

It highlights that this trial period thing has given SL a headache he didn’t expect.  I’m sure after the first few games we all thought the ship would steady, positive signs would be evident, Nige gets a long term deal, happy days.  I don’t think anyone envisaged how bad the form has been since those first couple of games, and that has then created a very strange situation where doubts start to creep in about Nige being the man.  

I think he should be given the job based on his previous credentials and the job that is needed, so the lack of form in the last few months shouldn’t sway that, class is permanent form is temporary, Nige knows as we all do that a huge overall of players is needed, and I expect this has given him more leverage to get more ££££ to spend

34 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Very black & white statement . You have to take everything into account. As stated above . NP has inherited a worse mess than SOD did. He got sacked for where we were in in the league but he had a huge imbalanced squad , a lot of journeymen that couldn’t be ****** to be here & had to sort it out. He ripped up some consultants player recruitment plan , think his name was Mark Ashton . Implemented the recruitment of fielding , JET, pack, Flint with Kieth Burt . He laid the foundation for cotts to come in & take it forward. 
NP in some ways is in a worse position . He’s inherited a lopsided un motivated squad put together by MA , the only upside is so many out of contract. 
How fans can’t see the shit hand he’s been dealt though & just look at results is baffling to say the least. 

I can see the mitigating circumstances, but this weekend, the problem was players not communicating with each other according to pearson. We know they are unmotivated and crap senior professionals, but if he cant  persuade them to effectively communicate on the pitch, while still playing them for far too long, why would we take the risk of giving him a big contract on 2x holdens salary to sort us out?

Perhaps he will sort us out if hes taken on, but on the off chance it doesnt work then thats millions more thrown away on contracts for new players and back room staff.

24 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

And yes, I saw NP throw everyone to the wolves, distancing himself to paraphrase. 

He’s a journo ??‍♂️

it’s not SL / club communicating it is it?

NP didn’t throw everyone to the wolves, he made comments about “some unnamed” players not “doing what he wanted”.  He didn’t say who, how many, etc.

4 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Ultimately, though, the reason he was brought in - and the reason fans overwhelmingly supported the appointment - was because of his vast experience, know-how, understanding of the game and previous success at this level. None of that has changed because we’ve lost a few games, so why would he suddenly now not be the right option?

I find it incredible, though not at all surprising, people have been seriously swayed by what’s happened in the past two months. A team that was losing prolifically has continued to lose prolifically.

It is giving them a headache in terms of the timing of any longer-term deal, though, I think that’s a really good point. It’s a difficult one to make a big song and dance about in the middle of a long winless sequence. But really that’s just aesthetics.

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

We need to trust in him and his team, clear out the dead wood and allow him to do what he knows to do. 

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

This obsession with getting something out of the players here now. This insistence in the myth in football of one bloke sweeping in and single-handedly transforming a rotten team into the opposite. 

Why would this group of players - safe from relegation, not going for promotion, weeks from an injury free summer break, out of contract in the summer, playing in empty grounds, probably aware of the disdain of absent supporters - why would they up their game now? 

What's in it for them?

Again spot on with this. Getting something out of this squad is irrelevant, most of them need to ship out anyway. 

Its not like NP is an inexperienced manager who needs to prove himself, he has a proven track record and we just need to back him and what I hope is his new team.

i was about to  come on to give my compliments to one of the best and well written pieces i have read on the post site for sometime, only to see that it is already trending big time.   The tangents and options which James Piercy puts forward are very well made.  I do find it interesting that a man who has made his considerable fortune by being decisive and proactive has a poor record of decision making when dealing with his favourite, indulgence and expensive hobby, Bristol City?   

While making his business a success, he has used his knowledge and acumen to drive his company forward, with great strides. It is an arena of which he has considerable knowledge, hence his fortune.  However i do wonder if he could allow his ego to admit to itself that in the business of football he needs advice and guidance`?   `Everyone is wondering why he is prevaricating and is unable to put a decisive plan in place?  I honestly believe he really is not able to  decide what to do, he cannot bring himself to introduce the very thing that makes him a success at business, making a decision.  i think he needs some advice and guidance to allow him to stop fannying about, and get a plan in motion,   I am sure he could go to some of the successful older managers in the Premier League of the ilk of Allardyce or Rodgers, to help him, he needs to admit that his appointment record is in general is of a poor standard,  and that some help and advice from people who know the game inside out might just be just what is needed? ...............as long as we end up with Biig Nige ....Ha!         

1 minute ago, One Team said:

Again spot on with this. Getting something out of this squad is irrelevant, most of them need to ship out anyway. 

Its not like NP is an inexperienced manager who needs to prove himself, he has a proven track record and we just need to back him and what I hope is his new team.

Getting something out of the squad is irrelevant?

pearson came in with a reputation based on  passion, organisation and defensive expertise. None of that has been displayed, and we look a shambles. There are multiple threads on the forum where some people are casting doubt as to whether his impact has been sufficient, even allowing for the circumstances, and some are supporting him, but there is a reason there is a difference in opinion, results and performances are pretty awful.

4 hours ago, Red Alert said:

The only person putting SL between a rock and a hard plaice is himself.

By far the easiest option is to appoint NP as the majority of fans are behind it and if it failed the backlash would be minimal as responsibility is in everyone’s shoulders.

CO'D? ?

22 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I can see the mitigating circumstances, but this weekend, the problem was players not communicating with each other according to pearson. We know they are unmotivated and crap senior professionals, but if he cant  persuade them to effectively communicate on the pitch, while still playing them for far too long, why would we take the risk of giving him a big contract on 2x holdens salary to sort us out?

Perhaps he will sort us out if hes taken on, but on the off chance it doesnt work then thats millions more thrown away on contracts for new players and back room staff.

That’s the $64k question isn’t it.  Or more Thats the £64m question, because that is how much it cost to run the footballing operation last year.  Okay, it’s £62.6m (but that doesn’t quite work with $64k analogy ?). I don’t think he will be allowed to spend more next season in total budget than we have this year or last year.  He’s already talking about being creative, not marquee.  It’s only SL who again has Billy Big-Time come out and said there’s money for a restructure to the media / fans.  Nige is being cautious.  Getting rid of several millions of wages, reducing amortisation significantly by not paying out the kind of fees LJ did (£25m in fees in 19/20).  He will be constrained.  The cost of NP’s tenure next season will be less than what LJ / MA spent / mis-spent.  If it’s not, I’ll happily come back and eat humble pie.

Im sure he’ll be on more than 2x Holden.  I’m sure LJ was on more than 2x Holden too, as was MA too. ?

Re your first para, yes, why can’t he get them to play?  He did for 45 mins on Sunday....what went wrong?  I think he’s answered it, some of them are weak mentally.  The question is how does he address?  At this stage of the season, contract statuses etc, his plan might be to replace them.  We can only speculate.  Could be to surround them with stronger mental players?  I’m guessing.

4 hours ago, Red Alert said:

The only person putting SL between a rock and a hard plaice is himself.

By far the easiest option is to appoint NP as the majority of fans are behind it and if it failed the backlash would be minimal as responsibility is in everyone’s shoulders.

I think a lot will depend on how SL and NP have got on over the last few days. Nigel is definitely an alpha male and I'm assuming if he takes over he'll want complete control of staff, signings and contracts. 

We know from experience that Steve doesn't appear to want to work like this. It's whether SL will accept that it's broken and trust somebody else with his money. 

I get a feeling that NP could walk if he's not given his own way, especially as it would appear that he has a huge task on his hands rebuilding our playing staff 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

An observation from myself...and I could be wrong, as I don't have the stats. But from watching...we seem happy, or can't be added, to let the ball be crossed or passed into our box and defend from there. 

LJ used to bang on about box entries...something we aren't good at doing, but even worse at allowing to happen to us.

I look at the efforts to stop crosses...its lack lustre, no conviction. It's gets to your man and stick a leg out...looking like you're trying.

How many balls come into the box from midfielders advancing through the middle, with our lot hardly making an effort to stop the pass? 

Often HNM trying to get back to stop it...whilst others dawdle....or don't even try to tackle or block. 

It's an observation I've mentally noted.

I have made posts about that approach. City allow the ball into the box. Its not fundamentally flawed if the what happens next is rehearsed. Depth v cross and who will control what should be a quick decision. The defending of the ball into the box lacks conviction. Its not proactive. Error and indecision is common.

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Getting something out of the squad is irrelevant?

pearson came in with a reputation based on  passion, organisation and defensive expertise. None of that has been displayed, and we look a shambles. There are multiple threads on the forum where some people are casting doubt as to whether his impact has been sufficient, even allowing for the circumstances, and some are supporting him, but there is a reason there is a difference in opinion, results and performances are pretty awful.

Given that Simon, and the fact that something has to be done, and as quickly as possible, at Manager / Head Coach level, what/who do you think presents a viable alternative?

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

This obsession with getting something out of the players here now. This insistence in the myth in football of one bloke sweeping in and single-handedly transforming a rotten team into the opposite. 

Why would this group of players - safe from relegation, not going for promotion, weeks from an injury free summer break, out of contract in the summer, playing in empty grounds, probably aware of the disdain of absent supporters - why would they up their game now? 

What's in it for them?

I think if someone can knit our posts together the nail has been hit firmly on the head IMO.

21 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

I think a lot will depend on how SL and NP have got on over the last few days. Nigel is definitely an alpha male and I'm assuming if he takes over he'll want complete control of staff, signings and contracts. 

We know from experience that Steve doesn't appear to want to work like this. It's whether SL will accept that it's broken and trust somebody else with his money. 

I get a feeling that NP could walk if he's not given his own way, especially as it would appear that he has a huge task on his hands rebuilding our playing staff 

Why not? He gave control to MA? SL has to get somebody/ new team of people

4 hours ago, Sturgess said:

What we are seeing as manifested itself over a number of seasons now, largely through mismanagement and lack of strategy in anything over than name.

Holden had a lucky start with very few injuries. I saw nothing to say he could've sustained us in the Championship let alone the Ashton-touted improvement in league position compared to LJ.

This faffing around is becoming tiring now. NP has the credentials to do the job we want and so badly need, it just seems that maybe the overall aim of the club doesn't align with having to admit they've made big and very costly mistakes.

Get on with it, appoint NP and lets all get on the journey to an exciting new direction - the club is stale at present.

Also his reputation will attract quality players that the likes of Johnson and Holden couldn't.

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re your first para, yes, why can’t he get them to play?  He did for 45 mins on Sunday....what went wrong?  I think he’s answered it, some of them are weak mentally.  The question is how does he address?  At this stage of the season, contract statuses etc, his plan might be to replace them.  We can only speculate.  Could be to surround them with stronger mental players?  I’m guessing.

I agree, there's a lot of talk of "leadership" on the pitch being needed, but what is needed is mentally tougher players who don't switch off or get the fear when they let one in at 2-0. Leadership takes many forms, it's not just about shouting and pointing.

43 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Nigel is definitely an alpha male and I'm assuming if he takes over he'll want complete control of staff, signings and contracts. 

I'm not sure he actually is an "alpha male" in the classic sense, and I'm pretty sure he didn't get that level of control at Leicester, for example - or, indeed, anywhere these days. 

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

If NP doesn't get the job Ralph, have you got anyone in mind who might offer a suitable/better option? 

22 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Thanks for telling me my own thoughts see BIB, what is it with this place and people trying to tell me my own views???

I get that you saw that differently, however I saw his interview as exactly that throwing everyone to the wolves and distancing himself from the club so someone else could come and get him

You disagree, fine, but dont try to tell me what I should be thinking. 

The blind faith/cult mantra around NP is getting quite disturbing as it happens. 

However that's modern social media for you. 

You constantly try to tell people what they should be thinking.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Your view.

Another. On Sunday we were looking at a repeat of team behaviours.

A behaviour at set pieces. And out of possession v a cross - Kalas and the defensive line .. He did not have one that was the same as his team mates. Seen it before. 

The nothing more nothing less response is interesting. Its negative. It does not refocus. Its flat like City. Lacking fire. That describes Mr Pearson's impact. Where is the fire? Where are your motivational qualities? A lot of blaming going on. 

Sometimes you can coach what players SHOULD DO until the cows come home and they just fail to do it. No Manager at any level is going to watch these mistakes and not try and eradicate them. Normally in such a scenario you simply replace players who aren’t able to stop repeating those behaviours but at the moment we do not have enough fit players to do that. You can’t tell me that Kalas is a novice who doesn’t know his job and needs somebody to get a coaching or behavioural manual out to explain the basics of defending set pieces and crosses  to him. He’s done it effectively enough thousands of times in his career.

You can be encouraging to players, you can shout at them, you can do a thousand training scenarios and you can show them on video what is going wrong but sometimes it doesn’t require manuals and theories to put right, on occasion players have to go out there, take personal and collective responsibility and put into practice what they already know to be the right thing to do.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He’s a journo ??‍♂️

it’s not SL / club communicating it is it?

NP didn’t throw everyone to the wolves, he made comments about “some unnamed” players not “doing what he wanted”.  He didn’t say who, how many, etc.

If he said nothing he would be accused of not knowing what was going on by the same posters accusing him of throwing unnamed players to the wolves.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That said the one question I ask of Pearson is “Has he got the best out of the players available to him?”, and I just don’t think that he has.

No, he hasn't. But you seem to be under the impression that managers "magic" this from players, not that first and foremost it comes from players themselves. Surely managers can only extract from players that which those players are willing, and able, to give. So again, I ask: Why would these players give this "best" that you are wanting to see now? What is the incentive to these players right now? 

50 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Given that Simon, and the fact that something has to be done, and as quickly as possible, at Manager / Head Coach level, what/who do you think presents a viable alternative?

Firstly, my job isnt as billionaire owner of a football club so these decisions arent mine to make.

secondly, there are obviously a list of names of manager who might or might not be available,,, we all know them. Wilder, jokanovic, robins, lampard, lennon, howe etc etc

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Firstly, my job isnt as billionaire owner of a football club so these decisions arent mine to make.

secondly, there are obviously a list of names of manager who might or might not be available,,, we all know them. Wilder, jokanovic, robins, lampard, lennon, howe etc etc

That's quite a long list. Thanks. Anyone jump out for you?

Archived