IGNORED

Our Club Is At A Crossroad (Again)

numbeast

As the season draws to a close we find ourselves at, what could be termed, a crossroad. 

We have a manager who's contract expires in June, a CEO who will be heading to pastures new very soon and a large number of well paid first player out of contract. If we get this right then we can look forward to seeing the club evolve, we get it wrong then we regress. There are other areas we need to overhaul such as the recruitment and the medical departments. 

Firstly we need to sort out the managers post. We need to ensure we have the right man with the right resources to build a competitive squad. I think Nigel Pearson could be the right man but if the board do not see him in this light then they must act with haste and, unlike the last closed season take weeks to get nowhere. It's clear to most of us an experienced man is needed at the helm, we have come to far to be a training ground for wannabe managers or head coaches.

Next is the CEO. Now Mark Aston is was and will remain a controversial character but, in giving the devil his due, Ashton negotiated some excellent fees when we sold. We need someone with Astons skill in the financial dealings but leaves the playing side to those who know best.

The recruitment over the last 2 or 3 windows has fallen short of what was needed. This department needs tweaking or dialing back. I'm a huge fan of buying potential but that said we have to stop approaching it with a scatter gun mentality. We need more Bakinson and Semenyos and a lot less Engval and Eisas. When Dean Holden came in we started signing experienced players. The problem is we signed them 2 or 3 years to late. To my mind we need to look at 18 to 24 year old Championship ready or at least close to ready in the main and 26 to 28 year old as our experienced signings.

As for the medical side of things only God knows how to sort that out as it appears players go in with minor knocks and come out with major injuries.

All in all these next few weeks will shape our clubs future for the next 5 or so seasons. If Steve Lansdown and the board get it right we should have a club to be proud of. Get it wrong and more and more season ticket holders will not renew those tickets. Steve we are counting on you and the board to get both the playing side and the backroom team right.

21 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Thank god i couldn’t read this on approximately 1,754 other threads.

I do appogise alas I'm not inclined to read 17 threads half the time let alone 1,754 so have not seen any link to this. I am sure that should you be correct (although I do question both your figures and your weak attempt at sarcasm) the mods will move or merge the threads.

Perhaps having read the title you should maybe just moved on without reading or replying to this thread ( the clue was in the title after all)

Once more I am sorry for the inconvenience you have suffered by forcing you to read this thread.

9 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

The difference from now compared to last summer was that getting it wrong then resulted in a big flop of a play off aiming season.

Get it wrong again now and we'll be in a serious battle to avoid the drop come May 22.

On the plus side is the new man will have a potentiality clear canvas with so many out of contract. Given the comments Pearson has made its clear more than a few will not be offered a new deal.

3 minutes ago, numbeast said:

On the plus side is the new man will have a potentiality clear canvas with so many out of contract. Given the comments Pearson has made its clear more than a few will not be offered a new deal.

The thing is it’s all very well saying they won’t be renewing contracts of players from the academy for whom we paid no fee, but a different story with players we paid for, as ultimately offering no new deal means the player could stick around running the clock down (not great for morale in the camp) or you need to try and shirt them quick which is not easy if the player is over the hill!  Not an easy task for Nige this if he stays

I agree Nigel won't have an easy job. As for those we don't offer new contract it highlights the weakness in the recruitment process. Losing players we've paid fees for isn't great but if by them leaving it frees up wages for players Pearson needs it makes it a little more bearable.

The cross roads is first and foremost the intention to sell or bring in new equity. The rest will follow when SL announces if he has a new partner or continuing to go alone. 

If I was a substantial new investor I would want a say in everything top to bottom. It remains to be seen if Steve can stomach that!

Archived