IGNORED

Pre internet

SuperDziek

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Pre Internet days involved me getting football scores via teletext and listening to the radio to see how long it took them to update the scores.

The good old days 

Page 307 when we were in the third tier, but page 305 after we got promotion.  Oh, the joy of staring at teletext and waiting for the page to refresh.  Didn’t Gary Lineker once describe a game as being ‘about as exciting as watching a match on teletext’?  I thought “What’s wrong with watching a match on teletext?”.

Newspapers actually having news in them ?

I used to buy the Sunday papers and , through the inevitable hangover, and study reports and tables.

Earlier still, people allowed to jump off the Bus at the centre to get a Green Un for the days results.

26 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Newspapers actually having news in them ?

I used to buy the Sunday papers and , through the inevitable hangover, and study reports and tables.

Earlier still, people allowed to jump off the Bus at the centre to get a Green Un for the days results.

I remember waiting on a Saturday evening at the paper shop for the Green Un to arrive. Or hoping the coach would stop at the services on the way home from away games so we could get the Pink Un (I think!) which was the Midlands equivalent. 

When we were pissed off, about 100 supporters (at most) used to congregate by that horrible red plastic entrance bit opposite the portakabin club shop and chant “sack the board” for about half an hour, to absolutely no effect. I might have been one of those 100..

Now anonymous individuals who probably haven’t bothered to get dressed write deeply unpleasant stuff online.

As the OP, that wasn’t Rennie’s job, he was the defensive midfield screen & very good at it, too..

8 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Having watched (with @CyderInACan) the highlights of 1989/90, please can we have some comments  for a bygone era, even if you didn’t see it or it’s not justified. Having seen Dave Rennie put one in the open end from a penalty I’ll start with:

Dave Rennie didn’t contribute enough goals from midfield......

Didn't need to, Shelton did that. Rennie was king of the near post flick on though.

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Didn't need to, Shelton did that. Rennie was king of the near post flick on though.

Was about to say the same. 
Mark Gavin’s near post corners onto Dave Rennie’s balding pate were a beautiful thing. 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Page 307 when we were in the third tier, but page 305 after we got promotion.  Oh, the joy of staring at teletext and waiting for the page to refresh.  Didn’t Gary Lineker once describe a game as being ‘about as exciting as watching a match on teletext’?  I thought “What’s wrong with watching a match on teletext?”.

I remember Nick Hornby writing something about how football was more exciting and terrifying on the radio that in person as you visualised every piece of action being far closer to one of the goals than it usually was in reality but that teletext was even more exciting and tense again because absolutely anything could be happening and you would not know until suddenly a scorer or red card would appear when you pressed refresh.

Teletext might be dull for some but it was the stuff of nightmares for anyone with a vivid enough imagination...

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

Pre Internet days involved me getting football scores via teletext and listening to the radio to see how long it took them to update the scores.

The good old days 

And, as a Bristolian exiled to London, making special journeys to Paddington   Station because they sold the Evening Post there.

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I remember waiting on a Saturday evening at the paper shop for the Green Un to arrive. Or hoping the coach would stop at the services on the way home from away games so we could get the Pink Un (I think!) which was the Midlands equivalent. 

Yep did the same thing with the Pink 'Un.
I also remember a couple of games the coach driver tuned into BRMB Radio (I think ) , used to get some crazy's on there so they had a delay so when someone kicked off, they could play a jingle. You heard something like " the manager is a complete C* BRMB Radio* thank you for your call ?

I remember thinking we were going to die in Swansea when a beanie wearing Taff had recognised our accents and called his boys out of the Queen's on the way to the Vetch and we had already discovered there were no trains back.

Fun watching him as our five goals went in after spotting him in the adjacent stand though.

*cue some comment about my username, which is actually the 'English' version of the OP's*

39 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I remember Nick Hornby writing something about how football was more exciting and terrifying on the radio that in person as you visualised every piece of action being far closer to one of the goals than it usually was in reality but that teletext was even more exciting and tense again because absolutely anything could be happening and you would not know until suddenly a scorer or red card would appear when you pressed refresh.

Teletext might be dull for some but it was the stuff of nightmares for anyone with a vivid enough imagination...

One of my favourite city memories was watching city v wolves on teletext with a good mate who was a wolves fan. 1992? We were sharing a house in Manchester during our student days and it was the only way to keep up with the score. As the alcohol flowed the bravado increased to the point that we had made a bet involving curry for a month and I had given him the draw.

I was getting concerned as the match had finished in real time but had not updated on the TV. Cue two late Dziekanowski goals and wild celebrations.

58 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I went to see Nick Hornby reading (I think) from High Fidelity at George’s on Park Street, and there was a question and answer session afterwards and all these Clifton worthies were asking deep questions about his literary technique, so I stuck my hand up and asked if he thought Gus Caesar (who was then playing for us) was the worst centre half Arsenal had ever had.  This brought him to life and he talked excitedly about football for a good twenty minutes, much to the irritation of the literary set present.

59 minutes ago, Mr Yoda said:

I'll give you Gordon Owen's penalties....or more accurately, Gordon Owen's penalty misses

I remember the commentary against (I think) Swindon when he walked up to take a pen and the co-commentator (possibly John Atyeo?) could clearly be heard saying in the background "oh no, it's Gordon"

His wiki page has a rather bizarre introduction paragraph mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Owen

8 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Tell you what mind, that was an absolute joy to watch. Watching God clapping the fans whilst getting stretchered off still brings a lump to my throat. What a season that was.  

I hate it when people call Bob Taylor "God"...  I mean I know some people think he's wonderful and all, but God really is no Super Bob!

Archived