IGNORED

Pre internet

SuperDziek

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

When we were pissed off, about 100 supporters (at most) used to congregate by that horrible red plastic entrance bit opposite the portakabin club shop and chant “sack the board” for about half an hour, to absolutely no effect. I might have been one of those 100..

Now anonymous individuals who probably haven’t bothered to get dressed write deeply unpleasant stuff online.

As the OP, that wasn’t Rennie’s job, he was the defensive midfield screen & very good at it, too..

#meToo :)

Occasionally a curtain would twitch in the directors lounge as someone would try to gauge the level of unrest.

Blimey, this takes me back to when I had a paper round for Old Man Greenland up Ashton Drive. Used to get a mate to do my sat afternoon round and I would go down AG and then deliver the Green Un in the early evening, reading the match reports as I delivered. Match of the Day. The Big Match. were not even around then so it was live or nothing. And you young uns Neil reckon you got it hard ?

Was at Torquay Tech on the day of the Leeds replay.

Got of the bus from Torquay at Newton Abbot Bus station, bought the Herald Express at the kiosk and there it was in the stop press at the bottom of the back page.

Leeds 0-1 Bristol City.

Went ****** mental everybody there must have thought i had escaped from somewhere.

Remember when the service came in that you’d get a text when a goal went in?

BRCFC was our code. Cost 50p per text I think. The text beep was the most exciting thing ever... except for that opening day when we got smashed by Watford. I was playing cricket and we came in for tea. Went to check my phone and we were something like 3-0 down. I threw my Nokia 3210. My dad shouted at me. 

21 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Having watched (with @CyderInACan) the highlights of 1989/90, please can we have some comments  for a bygone era, even if you didn’t see it or it’s not justified. Having seen Dave Rennie put one in the open end from a penalty I’ll start with:

Dave Rennie didn’t contribute enough goals from midfield......

Funnily enough I watched a particular highlight from 1990 myself the other day. Our win v Chelsea in the FA Cup. I loved Robbie Turner, with a sweatband on each wrist and a sharp point on each elbow. 

As others have mentioned, the Green’Un (I even got it posted when I moved away from Bristol) and Clubcall were vital sources of info pre-internet. I also seem to remember half-time scores in the ground being provided via a sophisticated A-Z system. And Bowyers sausages being thrown into the crowd. There was also a lot more fog at football matches pre-internet! 

Turnstile operators with a sense of humour - and not overzealous with it. The night of the top of the table clash v York City in 1983, someone was ‘stretching’ the child ticket age limit. ‘But he is only 15’ said the father. To which the turnstile operator replied: ‘15? He looks more like bloody 50!’ He let him in as a child though. 

20 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ceefax Sport used to get audiences of 19 million in those days. Higher than the news output.

Managers, players and officials often used to ring the editor and senior writers with gossip or to be interviewed or - often - to quibble with the match reports.

I remember the editor telling me about how a tired and emotional Bobby Gould rang him late one night to object to a match report. 

"The whole piece is completely inflammable!" started the confused Gouldster before claiming "you've walked up to my face and stabbed me in the back" adding, bizarrely, "my players are more than just men". He then apologised repeatedly for waking the editor's wife despite being repeatedly assured that the ed was now divorced and no wife was present to be disturbed by the call.

Great days.

Follow me, I'll be right behind you.

In March 1985, my Scouse City-supporting mate and I were at Anfield watching Spurs beat Liverpool there for the first time in over 70 years.

After the game we wanted to know how City had got on: cue utter bemusement from street seller of local Green Un, when we jumped up and down shouting “Yes!!” having had a quick look at the paper.

“What’s happened lads?”

“Bristol City have won 3-1 at Gillingham!” (in broad Scouse accent).

”Er....OK...”

13 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Remember when the service came in that you’d get a text when a goal went in?

BRCFC was our code. Cost 50p per text I think. The text beep was the most exciting thing ever... except for that opening day when we got smashed by Watford. I was playing cricket and we came in for tea. Went to check my phone and we were something like 3-0 down. I threw my Nokia 3210. My dad shouted at me. 

Yeah, every time we conceded a goal, I remember thinking, huh, That cost me 50p to know that ?

I haven't read all this thread so apology if others have said this.

Nothing except radio, tv and newspapers. No evening league or cup games under floodlights until 1957.

Midweek away results in late afternoon local paper editions.

After floodlights allowed. BBC TV news at 9pm too early for results. ITV at Ten fitted results in at end of programme if a slow news day. Otherwise wait until the morning for Western Daily Press.

As for tickets for cup games. Mile long queues in pouring rain at Ashton Gate.

Away matches on a Saturday in north of England meant overnight train or coach to get there. Occasional special train for cup games or a near away team like Cardiff and Swindon.

You young ones don't have a clue how archaic it was then. Special train to Sunderland for FA Cup left Parson Street 11 pm Friday and got to Sunderland at 10.30 Saturday morning.

18 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Blimey, this takes me back to when I had a paper round for Old Man Greenland up Ashton Drive. Used to get a mate to do my sat afternoon round and I would go down AG and then deliver the Green Un in the early evening, reading the match reports as I delivered. Match of the Day. The Big Match. were not even around then so it was live or nothing. And you young uns Neil reckon you got it hard ?

Remember the Post used to do a Pink 'Un as well. 

Confused me to ****, when I moved to Southampton and found the Saturday late sports edition of their local paper was the Pink 'Un, while they published a Green 'Un on Monday that used to carry the entire weekend sports reports, including Pompey results that would be an anathema in the Saturday Pink 'Un. 

On 29/04/2021 at 14:22, CyderInACan said:

Watching Roger Malone on HTV West playing the hilites on a Monday evening. If there were any! With his own special brand of commentary. 

and seeing the away terrace behind the goal on said highlights of Rovers nearly empty, despite Colin Howlett advising us on Radio Bristol on the Saturday it was 'packed with hordes'

On 29/04/2021 at 09:24, cidered abroad said:

You young ones don't have a clue how archaic it was then. Special train to Sunderland for FA Cup left Parson Street 11 pm Friday and got to Sunderland at 10.30 Saturday morning.

Football train specials were a really useful feature of the 60s. I went on some to matches that weren’t even particularly special - e.g. Plymouth. In those bygone days there were a lot more small stations still open so the specials could often go to a station next to the ground - e.g. Spurs for an FA cup match. Unfortunately, hooliganism developed during the late 60s / early 70s and the hooligans often took delight in wrecking the trains. This was the kiss of death for the specials. Although train wrecking football hooligans have mainly disappeared there’s little prospect of regular specials coming back as there aren’t lots of spare carriages sitting around on a Saturday 

On 28/04/2021 at 00:43, SuperDziek said:

Having watched (with @CyderInACan) the highlights of 1989/90, please can we have some comments  for a bygone era, even if you didn’t see it or it’s not justified. Having seen Dave Rennie put one in the open end from a penalty I’ll start with:

Dave Rennie didn’t contribute enough goals from midfield......

Still plays, or at least it did last time I tried.

IMGP4028.JPG

12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Early June 1989 and I spent a week in Albania. I spent the whole of the last three days trying to find out if the s*gs had got promoted v Port Vale in the playoffs. I never did find out until I got back to Heathrow on the Monday - Robbie Earle, what a man!

Was at Wembley that day seeing England beat Poland 3-0 ???????⚽? 

Waiting for train home wondering how the blue few had got on - friend decided to ring their clubcall from payphone in concourse ... few minutes later came dancing down the steps having only heard "Robbie Earle shatters ...."  Happy Days ???

As well as ‘watching’ City on Ceefax, you must remember the highs and the lows of transfer deadline day by Ceefax. Waiting for what seemed like hundreds of pages to scroll through to glimpse a name you had never heard of and no way of finding out anything about him. 

Glorious days though, I feel quite nostalgic reading this thread

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

As well as ‘watching’ City on Ceefax, you must remember the highs and the lows of transfer deadline day by Ceefax. Waiting for what seemed like hundreds of pages to scroll through to glimpse a name you had never heard of and no way of finding out anything about him. 

Glorious days though, I feel quite nostalgic reading this thread

Them were the days! The first thing you knew about a new signing was when you saw a picture of the player on the back page of the Western Daily Press holding up a scarf the next day.

On 29/04/2021 at 05:22, Oh Louie louie said:

Im thinking one game, away from home, the que was so big they opened the gates, letting in people for nothing.

Im pretty sure, it was southend away first day of the season?

Somewhere between the turnstile operators, and boardroom in those days, sombody was having a drink, thats for sure.

Not sure the gates were 'opened'...

44 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If you mean, the gates were charged down, no.

The stewards opened them.

Thats the only time its happened to me.

My recollection of the day is very hazy (a gallon of rough on the way up didn’t help), so stand corrected.   

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Not sure the gates were 'opened'...

They certainly weren’t opened by choice. I was right at the front and they were opened by force (didn’t actually take a lot) allowing us all to stream in without paying. I’ve acrually always felt a bit guilty about this, maybe I will chuck Southend a couple of quid seeing they are in hard times now. 

Let's not forget another significant medium with which we got our City news and updates, and that was the humble matchday programme.

Word from the manager, a full fixture list, previous scores and scorers, as well as the league table of course. It's why I forked out for them every game for all those years. Many an hour I spent in those pages, reading articles, analysing stats.

I have little doubt that programme sales have been well down since the advent of the internet. That and their rising cost (it used to cost pence!)

Archived