IGNORED

Grim for Grimsby

Hampshire Red

Hollowhead did so much damage at Blundell Park they couldn't be saved and this once-proud club returns to the non-league (to be followed by Gas next season!) and we may never see them again in league football. He would be lynched if ever seen again in Cleethorpes as his trail of failures knows no bounds

Some of us will have many happy memories of Blundell Park; the scorching hot August draw (1-1?) and before that a midweek game where a group of us from London met a group from Keynsham, enjoyed the delights of the seaside town and paid less for a B&B than the £15 to stand behind the goal. Happy Days, gone forever and no more "sing when we're fishing". 

Any other memories from your trips to Lincolnshire/Humberside?

38 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Hollowhead did so much damage at Blundell Park they couldn't be saved and this once-proud club returns to the non-league (to be followed by Gas next season!) and we may never see them again in league football. He would be lynched if ever seen again in Cleethorpes as his trail of failures knows no bounds

Some of us will have many happy memories of Blundell Park; the scorching hot August draw (1-1?) and before that a midweek game where a group of us from London met a group from Keynsham, enjoyed the delights of the seaside town and paid less for a B&B than the £15 to stand behind the goal. Happy Days, gone forever and no more "sing when we're fishing". 

Lynched, you think? Not gutted and filleted?

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Hollowhead did so much damage at Blundell Park they couldn't be saved and this once-proud club returns to the non-league (to be followed by Gas next season!) and we may never see them again in league football. He would be lynched if ever seen again in Cleethorpes as his trail of failures knows no bounds

I saw City win 1-0 (I think) at Blundell Park, early 2000s. The pitch was really cut up, it was an awful game but City scored a last minute winner. 

My favourite chants when we were beating them 4-1 at home during the John Ward promotion season: "You're Sh1t, and you stink of fish, you're Sh1t, and you stink of fish", followed up by a rousing chorus of "Come in a trawler! You must have come in a trawler! Come in a trawler, you must have come in a trawler!, etc, etc"

The one time I went up to Blundell Park I remember Steve Torpey scoring a nice volley from outside the box on his debut before getting knocked out cold by future City centre-back Mark Lever. Grimsby was such a shit hole, I've never been back. 

5 hours ago, tin said:

The one time I went up to Blundell Park I remember Steve Torpey scoring a nice volley from outside the box on his debut before getting knocked out cold by future City centre-back Mark Lever. Grimsby was such a shit hole, I've never been back. 

First game of the 97/98 promotion season. We went in a beer-bus for that one. It was a long trip mind. 

7 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-town-croft-holloway-relegation-5350447

6 hours ago, mozo said:

I saw City win 1-0 (I think) at Blundell Park, early 2000s. The pitch was really cut up, it was an awful game but City scored a last minute winner. 

Self-correction:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/3481979.stm

2004, 2-1, late Aaron Brown winner, 10th consecutive win!!!

Bristol City: Phillips, Carey, Butler, Coles, Hill, Wilkshire, Doherty, Tinnion, Aaron Brown, Peacock, Miller. Subs: Burnell, Goodfellow, Woodman, Fortune, Lita.

I remember going to a game there (traveling "down" to it from bonny Scotland, where I worked at the time). I think it was Mark Gavin's first game back for us after he returned to us having been sold to I think Watford? he was one of my fav players after he starred in that amazing promo side of 1989? Jordon's team with super Bobby Taylor et al.... .

Cannot remember the score, but felt Mark Gavin had lost a bit of the magic he had before...

I realise i am sounding like an old "f...t.... now....

Remember us playing Grimsby in the early 90s towards the end of the season, I was just a kid at the time and didn’t go but it was a relegation 6 pointer which was shown live on HTV as it was a Sunday afternoon.

Heard the sound of the crowd in AG celebrating a goal from a mile away about 2 or 3 seconds before seeing Nicky Morgan put it in on the telly.

6 hours ago, tin said:

But have you actually been to Grimsby? Seeing that Grimsby play in Cleethorpes ??

Without checking, I'm fairly sure Blundell Park is in Cleethorpes not Grimsby.

A past boss was a Grimsby fan, they got relegated to Non League within last decade IIRC but returned. Will be one of the bigger clubs at that level, so they could return.

Never actually been up there but I recall a 4-1 come from behind win in 1999 when it looked like there was just a chance we might have a great escape under Benny.

Mike Dean vs Birmingham effectively ended that!

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Self-correction:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/3481979.stm

2004, 2-1, late Aaron Brown winner, 10th consecutive win!!!

Bristol City: Phillips, Carey, Butler, Coles, Hill, Wilkshire, Doherty, Tinnion, Aaron Brown, Peacock, Miller. Subs: Burnell, Goodfellow, Woodman, Fortune, Lita.

That same night Plymouth (our promotion rivals) were thrashed at Tranmere and sat in a car in Cleethorpes after the game, we all felt "this was our year".

Amazing how many times that feeling comes around!

9 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Ha! I’ve recounted this story before on OTIB, but back in 1998 (I think) I was joined on the train from Sheffield by a fellow City fan who must’ve been on cider No 15 by the time we reached Grimsby.  He was that drunk, he never even made it to the match. We lost 1-2 in a mid-week game, despite a Soren Andersen goal. And were relegated.

1 hour ago, Big C said:

But have you actually been to Grimsby? Seeing that Grimsby play in Cleethorpes ??

I’ve been to Grimsby, Cleethorpes, Scunthorpe and Hull up in that neck of the woods. All shit holes, IMO.

37 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Tin,

That was the stinking hot Saturday. THe London Branch were seen walking the beaches dipping toes to cool down before a few pints at Willy's Bar - some place that!

I remember it being a scorcher, yeah. That and Torpey saying something like he’d “crawl across the Severn Bridge to sign” for us only to get crocked in this game and never be the same player again. 

2 hours ago, brady bunch said:

I remember going to a game there (traveling "down" to it from bonny Scotland, where I worked at the time). I think it was Mark Gavin's first game back for us after he returned to us having been sold to I think Watford? he was one of my fav players after he starred in that amazing promo side of 1989? Jordon's team with super Bobby Taylor et al.... .

Cannot remember the score, but felt Mark Gavin had lost a bit of the magic he had before...

I realise i am sounding like an old "f...t.... now....

I think this was early December 91-92 season, and we lost 3-1.
David Rennie scored a scorcher for us and Junior Bent somehow missed from about a yard out in front of the away end which would have put us 2-1 up.

Coldest I’ve ever been at a football match.

12 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Bet you weren't on the dodgems on Cleethorpes beach on the Saturday morning before a game? And trying to barge the dodgems driven by City players (*)? And did you eat breakfast in the top restaurant in Grimsby - the Bus Depot canteen?

And did you do the same trip two years running at about the same time of the year? Oh and by the way all thiswas before motorways so we had to leave Bristol on a Friday late evening to arrive at 07.00 the next morning?

(*) The players included Derrick, Williams, Thresher, Atyeo, whose legs were so long he could hardly gey them in a dodgem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I seem to remember going there when Scott McGarvey was in the City team? Think he had quite a good game.

I also remember the Findus Stand?.

Really feel for the fans of course. Not least because of their experience with Holloway. (He's a Bristol Rovers legend you know).

No, that was just before my time. Great visions of the players at the fairground though; halfway through the Gerry Gow book which, s=whilst expensive is a tear-jerking read of one of the best players in my lifetime - and that includes Nagy!!

Nagy? I could give you at least a dozen midfielders of different types who leave Nagy as a long way down the list of City players to remember. Admittedly not too many were internationals and could be in lower leagues as we are now but as City midfielders hall of fame that Nagy is nowhere near.

Here goes in no particular order.

Quigley, Burden, Kellard, Mann, Tainton, Gow, Cyril Williams, Doherty, Marvin Elliott, Ginger Peacock, Wade Elliott, Noble, Shelton, Rennie, Etheridge, Parr

10 hours ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Ha! I’ve recounted this story before on OTIB, but back in 1998 (I think) I was joined on the train from Sheffield by a fellow City fan who must’ve been on cider No 15 by the time we reached Grimsby.  He was that drunk, he never even made it to the match. We lost 1-2 in a mid-week game, despite a Soren Andersen goal. And were relegated.

I was at that game, got there just after kick off and paid the turnstile man half price to climb over the turnstile - his suggestion by the way not ours ??

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

I was at that game, got there just after kick off and paid the turnstile man half price to climb over the turnstile - his suggestion by the way not ours ??

He now works in Eastville.....

Archived