IGNORED

Is anyone else feeling strangely excited about next season?

LondonBristolian

Don’t get me wrong. We’re in dire straits at the moment and there is a real worry that, if we get the summer wrong, we could be struggling to stay in the division.

BUT

There is a part of me that is thinking we’ll have a new Manager (or at least current manager in for long term), a lot of new players and several new non-playing staff and, for better or worse, could look a very different side by the time the season starts.

And I do find the unknowns quite exciting. For several seasons we’ve started with the same manager and then his assistant, and a lot of continuity in terms of style of football (so much as we had one under LJ) and personnel.

I don’t know who is staying at the club, who the first eleven will be, who the manager will be and how we’ll play. It could be okay or it could be a disaster but it at least feels like it will be interesting...

Next season will be a relegation scrap. Can't see NP being here if he's asking for a 3-year deal, how can SL offer him that with his performance so far? I think he'd be given a chance if he accepted a rolling 1-year deal otherwise we'll be looking elsewhere, and the transfer windows going to be a shambles with the club drifting like the Marie Celeste.

If Pearson stays and we have a major reshuffle i.e signings and coaches then yes I’m excited.

It’s all gotta start happening soon tho. Leaving the fans up in the air is only going to increase frustration levels. If Pearson was to sign today and it be announced no doubt season ticket sales would increase 

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Don’t get me wrong. We’re in dire straits at the moment and there is a real worry that, if we get the summer wrong, we could be struggling to stay in the division.

BUT

There is a part of me that is thinking we’ll have a new Manager (or at least current manager in for long term), a lot of new players and several new non-playing staff and, for better or worse, could look a very different side by the time the season starts.

And I do find the unknowns quite exciting. For several seasons we’ve started with the same manager and then his assistant, and a lot of continuity in terms of style of football (so much as we had one under LJ) and personnel.

I don’t know who is staying at the club, who the first eleven will be, who the manager will be and how we’ll play. It could be okay or it could be a disaster but it at least feels like it will be interesting...

Clearly you are a glass half full type of person, so congrats on that!  

I’m only anticipating more pain atm, but maybe Slimey Ashton and Rolls going are the first signs of a new City emerging out of the current mess, so here’s hoping?

They'll wait until the season has finished now before appointing Nige, but I think it's as good as a done deal now.

I agree, it could be exciting. We are going to have plenty of headroom in terms of FFP and the wage bill for Nige to really be able to transform the squad. 

On the flipside, the rot at the club has run deep, and Nige is gonna need time to implement the processes that will change the club's fortunes, and instill that winning/successful mentality throughout the football club. 

He's taken over an absolute car crash caused by Steve Lansdown falling asleep at the wheel (again) and it will likely take time to rebuild, but you only have to look at Reading and Barnsley this season to see a significant upturn in results can be achieved in a short space of time. But we'll have to get recruitment absolutely spot on. 

Nige is facing a huge task, as not only does he need to get results on the pitch, he also needs to clean up the almighty mess behind the scenes. 

We have to hope that he arrests the worrying results on the pitch quickly, and over a longer period of time sorts the non-playing staff issues out too. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They'll wait until the season has finished now before appointing Nige, but I think it's as good as a done deal now.

I agree, it could be exciting. We are going to have plenty of headroom in terms of FFP and the wage bill for Nige to really be able to transform the squad. 

On the flipside, the rot at the club has run deep, and Nige is gonna need time to implement the processes that will change the club's fortunes, and instill that winning/successful mentality throughout the football club. 

He's taken over an absolute car crash caused by Steve Lansdown falling asleep at the wheel (again) and it will likely take time to rebuild, but you only have to look at Reading and Barnsley this season to see a significant upturn in results can be achieved in a short space of time. But we'll have to get recruitment absolutely spot on. 

Nige is facing a huge task, as not only does he need to get results on the pitch, he also needs to clean up the almighty mess behind the scenes. 

We have to hope that he arrests the worrying results on the pitch quickly, and over a longer period of time sorts the non-playing staff issues out too. 

I would take a solid 12th place next season. I just want to see us doing the basics right, becoming a solid home team to give the fans something to cheer about and a foundation to build on. 

hope I’m not expecting to much.

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Next season will be a relegation scrap. Can't see NP being here if he's asking for a 3-year deal, how can SL offer him that with his performance so far? I think he'd be given a chance if he accepted a rolling 1-year deal otherwise we'll be looking elsewhere, and the transfer windows going to be a shambles with the club drifting like the Marie Celeste.

This.

I get NP on the face of it hasn't pulled up any trees, but imo he's fighting a battle with both hands tied behind his back.  He knows exactly what a terrible state the club is in so needs to be given the job as he has a huge head start on a new face.  If we go for the usual option, we can kiss Championship football bye! bye

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Clearly you are a glass half full type of person, so congrats on that!  

I’m only anticipating more pain atm, but maybe Slimey Ashton and Rolls going are the first signs of a new City emerging out of the current mess, so here’s hoping?

I'm kind of glass half full. I'm certainly not suggesting we'll have a great season next year. To be honest, I'll be happy if we play some good football, get some of the youngers more established, get the backbone of a new team and stay in the division. I certainly expect no more than that. 

But watching City has been such a joyless affair for the last couple of seasons. If we CAN go to matches and I feel excited about going to matches, it'll feel like the start of a recovery. 

To answer the OP, I always am.

I moan like everyone during the season but then after 3 months without it, I can’t wait.

Seems probable that we will be back in the ground too & shite as it may well be, that would be the best thing of all.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm kind of glass half full. I'm certainly not suggesting we'll have a great season next year. To be honest, I'll be happy if we play some good football, get some of the youngers more established, get the backbone of a new team and stay in the division. I certainly expect no more than that. 

But watching City has been such a joyless affair for the last couple of seasons. If we CAN go to matches and I feel excited about going to matches, it'll feel like the start of a recovery. 

Completely with you there LB. It’s been one hell of a chore watching City the last couple of years, so even just getting some entertainment will be a big step forward.  

Thinking about it, other than relegation next season, it can’t really get any worse than this season, so we’re already starting with a pretty low bar!

The only way is up then?

our team isn’t that bad once the OOC players leave 

Bentley, MOL

- Either of them I’m more than happy being no1

Kalas, Dasilva, Pring, Vyner, Moore

- we definitely need some more signings in defence, RBx2 and maybe even 2xCB if Cundy isn’t ready. 

Williams, Massengo, Bakinson, Nagy, Palmer, O’dowda, Semenyo 

- reckon I’m comfortable with them however we may need a new cm, like Matty James who is a leader and a tidy central midfielder. Aswell as a winger 

Wells, Martin, Weimann 

- Not too bad however I reckon a Mobile striker and a target man is defo needed just to strengthen our strike force.

The youngsters should have loans lined up to get them some experience and put us in good stead in future. Maybe keep a couple just in case

so I reckon;

rb x2, cb x2, cm, winger, two strikers

Contracts to;

Walsh, Weimann (year extension anyway)

if an offer comes in which can raise funds; 

Palmer, T.Moore, Nagy 

apologies if forgotten anyone 

36 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

BUT

Always look forward, always optimistic because the future is bright....the future is red and white!!

Now the witch doctor has gone, it does seem more promising already- just look at his previous clubs after he left them!

To be fair anything 21st or above will be a result. 20th - 13th a good season. 12th - 7th a success.

It's not going to be a quick fix, regardless of whoever is in charge and whatever their recruitment is like.

Any pull we had in previous seasons will have gone due to our abysmal season. The only hope in that respect is that Nige (or whomever) has enough clout to make a difference. Otherwise we'll be feeding off scraps from the relegated sides, and probably lower. Failing that, has-beens that will have no resale value at all.

I am filled with foreboding as we wait and wait for another Lansdown managerial appointment. Not only who he picks but yet again the time it is taking. We need Pearson in my opinion and we need him immediately. But true to form on and on it goes. I am also concerned by who  the hell is scouting for new players and who will make any approaches to players out of contract at other clubs. It was Ashton that did this. On the whole at the moment we are in a real mess. My only hope is surely Lansdown cannot get it wrong all the time.

that.

if offered the choice,if you were an up and coming talented player,wouldn't you rather play for a new bristol city side put together by NP as opposed to a sunderland team of successful league one players but with a manager of no real championship success? (i mean championship as in league as opposed to tournament)

if NP stays,i cant see how he wouldnt have a pull towards some decent talent from wherever as hes been there and done that.

so yes,i am very optimistic about next season,a solid top 10 finish would be a statement of intent after this year. (dependant on NP staying of course which signs are pointing to as we roll along.)

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

BUT

Quick answer is no.

Momentum works both ways. When you are flying you have to capitalize on it and we took our eye off of the ball after walking league one under Cotts. The summer was poor and we failed to build on the success and then we started to struggle in the Championship as the 3-5-2 in a division above with the same players that got us there lacked the quality to keep us in the mix.

Then under LJ we literally sold as soon as an offer came in and replaced with lesser quality, sometimes older and with a decimated spine we began to go backwards. Even though we were getting results at times we were stealing victories and the quality of football became awful, so it was only a matter of time before the results dried up too.

Under Holden we started well but were cruelly hit by injuries (often caused on the training ground) which halted the initial success and then the staleness and fear factor kicked back in and we became more and more ineffective at the top end of the pitch and the goal scoring opportunities became almost non-existent.

The appointment of Nige briefly saw us get a couple of results, but players coming back from injury immediately crocked again and eventually it was back to the same mindset and soft underbelly.

It is going to be incredibly difficult to change the mindset within the club which is very negative at the moment. In order for Nige to achieve some sort of success he needs a big freshen up of the playing staff and hope that our injury situation changes.

We aren't going to have strength in depth and we aren't going to be able to clear out some of the dead wood.

I hope that players recover enough over the summer to play with some regularity next season because far too many have been out for the entire season. That is appalling.

If we identify targets early and do some decent business then it might provide us with a bit of a lift, but leave it too late and we will be entering another season without being able to instill a positive mindset.

We really do have to set a solid foundation sooner rather than later or I fear that we could be in a dogfight to stay in this division next season.

The longer Nigel Pearson stays around the more certain I feel that he'll be appointed....and if that's the case then, yes, it'll be a future to look forward to, albeit with some trepidation. For that reason, and after a lot of thought (most of it negative!) I can see me renewing our STs over the weekend.

Let's face it, following City has been a long journey for many of us. Many downs, a few ups. As @GrahamC says each season brings new hope.

I'll just be happy if we don't have a relegation battle next year. My expectations have been that downgraded.

But, yeah, I agree with the OP: This Summer is potentially exciting.

As much as new players, I'm looking forward to hearing about new coaching staff coming in to support NP. Simpson and Downing are a big part of the problem here.

The unacceptably high-levels of injury and poor recovery rates also have to be addressed and the departure of Rls only begins that process. 

• Admin

Far too many unknowns at the moment to know whether to go into next season with excitement or absolute fear

We essentially need

A Manager

A DOF

A Chairman

A CEO

A whole new squad

Being Bristol City would could make an absolute arse of this AGAIN, or a miracle could happen and we get the right people in for once?

Archived