IGNORED

Is anyone else feeling strangely excited about next season?

LondonBristolian

Maybe that time for looking forward will come, at the moment watching city is like having a row with your partner of more than 25 years, you can’t live without one another but sometimes you need to sit in a separate room for a while. I think I need the season to come to an end and have a month or 2 in that separate room before going through that same old Jul excitement when you think this could be the season....

58 minutes ago, Super said:

It's certainly going to take more than one transfer window to sort out this mess. Hope NP gets the job.

I was thinking that initially but then I looked at how Barnsley have turned things around this season after only staying in the Championship on the final day of last season. Noticed that only around 4-5 of their team who played in that game at Brentford which saw them stay up were in the team for their most recent games this month. Also interesting that 2 of their 3 CBs (Sollbauer & Anderson) were actually part of the team that were shocking last season, but they've both been in the team this year under a new manager, and accompanied by a quality new CB partner in Helik who cost them less than 1 million last Summer/Autumn. 

I think Barnsley spent less than 3 million on new signings before the 2020/21 season started, which makes for an incredible turnaround this campaign. Granted, I'm guessing they haven't had bad vibes going on behind the scenes at the club (not to my knowledge anyway) which has meant that their new young manager can get on with molding his team and getting the very best out of them. Ismail only joined them in October after Struber left for the MLS, so they've had a bit of upheaval to contend with too. I'd be interested to know how they have got things so right in just 8-9 months.

Just gives a glimmer of hope that if Pearson signs, brings in his new coaching team (especially Walsh who has a great eye for a bargain player) that perhaps we do have a decent 4-5 players now who he can build his new team around. Maybe Kalas & Vyner can be like Sollbauer & Anderson in that they were part of a shocking side the season before they become rejuvenated with new teammates around them, especially a new signing/leader at CB in the same way that Helik is for Barnsley. Can we find our new Webster this Summer? 

Bentley, Kalas, Yyner, Massengo, Dasilva, Joe Williams and Walsh  (if he stays) are good starting blocks for the spine of our team that Pearson can then build around with some exciting fullbacks, wingers, and a new CB & Striker. I think 5-6 good signings (who settle well), would see us competitive in the top half of the table next season. 

Perhaps Barnsley have got lucky in that it all just gelled together really quickly between new manager and new signings, or perhaps they just knew what they were doing. 

I'm trying to retain a glimmer of hope though that it might now be all doom and gloom next season. 

To answer the OP's question - I''m optimistic as I can see some action being taken already behind the scenes, getting rid of Rolls for example. Hopefully this is only the beginning of getting rid of the bad apples. 

However I would just like to see endeavour, spirit and effort (and playing good football if we fans are lucky) every time the team takes to the field, but, I categorically do not want to see a relegation battle.  A solid 12th would do it for me.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I'm really excited about the bit between the end of the season and the beginning of the next one. Can't wait.

The problem is, in the close season you get dragged into the excitement of potential transfer targets, which usually ends up with yet more disappointment.  

You then move into the new season and the cycle of disappointment repeats.  The fate of being a Bristol City fan I suppose ?

8 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Renewed Season Tickets though can't for the life of me think why?

In all my years I've never been so disinterested in City & football in general. Where's the 'fun' gone?

It’s probably unfair to pick on you out of all those who make this mistake - but you’re not “disinterested” you’re “uninterested”.

Disinterested means unbiased.

Apologies for my pedantry.

9 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Don’t get me wrong. We’re in dire straits at the moment and there is a real worry that, if we get the summer wrong, we could be struggling to stay in the division.

BUT

There is a part of me that is thinking we’ll have a new Manager (or at least current manager in for long term), a lot of new players and several new non-playing staff and, for better or worse, could look a very different side by the time the season starts.

And I do find the unknowns quite exciting. For several seasons we’ve started with the same manager and then his assistant, and a lot of continuity in terms of style of football (so much as we had one under LJ) and personnel.

I don’t know who is staying at the club, who the first eleven will be, who the manager will be and how we’ll play. It could be okay or it could be a disaster but it at least feels like it will be interesting...

I am looking forward to it. And not only that, as much as I don't like seeing us lose....I'm actually glad for the run of results we have had . Long term it will be for the best 

Had we had the 'new manager bounce' we may have found ourselves offering these players new contracts . We would have just ended up in the same position in 12-18 months that we find ourselves in  now, and possibly costing another manager his job 

I think Pearson is going to be given more power then any manager previous. I can remember seeing an interview with him a few years back where he says he will only take a job if the owner trusts him enough to give him full autonomy to shape the club how he sees fit 

I really believe he is the man to take this club forward 

10 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Don’t get me wrong. We’re in dire straits at the moment and there is a real worry that, if we get the summer wrong, we could be struggling to stay in the division.

BUT

There is a part of me that is thinking we’ll have a new Manager (or at least current manager in for long term), a lot of new players and several new non-playing staff and, for better or worse, could look a very different side by the time the season starts.

And I do find the unknowns quite exciting. For several seasons we’ve started with the same manager and then his assistant, and a lot of continuity in terms of style of football (so much as we had one under LJ) and personnel.

I don’t know who is staying at the club, who the first eleven will be, who the manager will be and how we’ll play. It could be okay or it could be a disaster but it at least feels like it will be interesting...

I am now!!

Yes, to a certain extent.... if nige has worked us out, and the failings - there is no reason why we can’t have a good season. A good season, for me would be mid table, but done in a style we can be proud of, and the nucleus of an identity and a nastiness that shows we are no longer a soft touch. Much work to do, but very much achievable 

I'm always excited about about the start of a new season, and this year is no exception to that. The summer could be very interesting for us!

I'm not expecting too much on the pitch, mid-table would be fine with me. A hard-working, defensively more robust side in place with further development on the horizon. 

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

It’s probably unfair to pick on you out of all those who make this mistake - but you’re not “disinterested” you’re “uninterested”.

If I was uninterested, I wouldn't have bought Season Tickets, for there would have been no point in me so doing. 

Disinterested means I no longer have the vested interest I one held. Since a lad City were MY club, My team, My players. Football in general, too, played a part in my very being. I invested the best part of 60 years of my life in fruitlessly following City week-in, week out. Today, well, they are no longer part of me. They're a business, a commodity, something I can easily do without. I no longer recognise them as the Red Babbies of my youth, for that's no longer who they are. I haven't bothered to buy the last 7 games and it took me over 12 hours to look up the Luton result. I've either lost or withdrawn my investment. 

If I was uninterested I wouldn't have needed to renew my STs. Yet I am still interested, just no longer invested and that's my dissonance as to why bother?

It's the reason my avatar is Dickie Rooks.

16 hours ago, Leveller said:

Someone's been listening to David Mitchell too much. ?

12 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

If I was uninterested, I wouldn't have bought Season Tickets, for there would have been no point in me so doing. 

Disinterested means I no longer have the vested interest I one held. Since a lad City were MY club, My team, My players. Football in general, too, played a part in my very being. I invested the best part of 60 years of my life in fruitlessly following City week-in, week out. Today, well, they are no longer part of me. They're a business, a commodity, something I can easily do without. I no longer recognise them as the Red Babbies of my youth, for that's no longer who they are. I haven't bothered to buy the last 7 games and it took me over 12 hours to look up the Luton result. I've either lost or withdrawn my investment. 

If I was uninterested I wouldn't have needed to renew my STs. Yet I am still interested, just no longer invested and that's my dissonance as to why bother?

It's the reason my avatar is Dickie Rooks.

OK. You’re less interested then. But you’re not disinterested!

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

OK. You’re less interested then. But you’re not disinterested!

Odd you wish prolong this but again your assumption is incorrect. I'm disinvested in the club. I know that, how possibly might you? Truth is where once they meant everything to me I've about as much affiliation to them as I do to whatever is the brand of bog-roll in my toilets. For me City these days are a commodity and should be treated as such.

Had it not been for my son wishing to renew, I wouldn't have bothered.

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Odd you wish prolong this but again your assumption is incorrect. I'm disinvested in the club. I know that, how possibly might you? Truth is where once they meant everything to me I've about as much affiliation to them as I do to whatever is the brand of bog-roll in my toilets. For me City these days are a commodity and should be treated as such.

So fickle. I'm Andrex till I die........

The best time, over recent years, to be a City fan has been the closed season, think that is more the case now than ever. However, to the question, yes I’m much more excited about next season (and the next three years) than I was before NP was confirmed. 

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

You seem to have misinterpreted my point, which is simply about the definition of disinterested, a word which means fair and unbiased, not uninterested or disinvested.

On 29/04/2021 at 14:26, GrahamC said:

Just renewed, after watching what must be the most honest request to do so I have ever seen by NP.

Just renewed all 4 of ours. Really thought about giving it a miss, but with the developments over the last week or so, my hope and enthusiasm has started to be restored. Plus if I’m honest, missed it all after a year away and 2021 will be the 50th year since my first match.

On another note @JerrySLO has been a star! One of our tickets couldn’t be renewed for this season due to their job going in the pandemic. Fortunately now back at work and able to go again. Emailed the club on how to renew as the seat had been taken. Jerry got it sorted out in about an hour! I know it’s his job, but the help, calls and time he put in was in my opinion, above what he needed to do.

It was also Jerry’s idea to add the 2019/20 season ticket holders in with the first lot of renewals, as he was aware of some supporters having financial worries last year and having to give their tickets up.

For those 2019/20 season ticket holders who didn’t renew but want to again, go into your account, choose the area where you want to be and it shows what seats are available before they go on general sale next Thursday. ??

Archived