IGNORED

Jamie Patterson

Hampshire reds

It's not really a case of if he's anyone's cup of tea...it's more the case that he simply isn't consistent enough.  There's a player in there, but he just doesn't do it on a regular enough basis.  Which seems to be a trait that has blighted his career so far.

8 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i read a few championship clubs are after jamie. what on earth is this club doing. i know he is not everyones cup of tea. it will cost us so much to replace someone with his ability. come on steve make some decisions. 

Cost us so much to replace someone with his ability? Really?

He shows this ability about once every 30 games. 

I think we probably have already replaced him with someone with arguably better ability in Semenyo.

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

It's not really a case of if he's anyone's cup of tea...it's more the case that he simply isn't consistent enough.  There's a player in there, but he just doesn't do it on a regular enough basis.  Which seems to be a trait that has blighted his career so far.

Spot on. 

Similar to COD just fails to perform on a consistent basis and turns up once or twice a season to frustrate the hell out of you when you see there is some talent there.

I have had enough of thinking “perhaps he will come good this season”. Along with everything else that is tainted by Johnson and Ashton he needs to go.

3 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Cost us so much to replace someone with his ability? Really?

He shows this ability about once every 30 games. 

I think we probably have already replaced him with someone with arguably better ability in Semenyo.

Agreed, rather see our youngsters in midfield than players like Pato. 

A lot of players I suspect will be replaced with players out of contract at other clubs.

Others have said it but we've rarely found a way to get the best out of Paterson for more than a few games at a time. At his best, he is a superb player. But I think the question of whether to keep him is tied in with all these other questions about who the manager will be and how we'll play next season. At the moment I don't see him as a consistent starter but maybe, if we appoint Pearson or another manager, they'll feel differently. At the moment my instinct is, if he is not going to be a starter, freeing up his wage to get someone who better fits a new manager's approach might be the way to go. 

Good player, probably another victim of our injury curse / medical mispractice. Needs movement in front of him like a Reid or Wiemann rather than Dave, and a midfield that can cover him whilst he tries to be creative.

Would be sad to see him go, but wouldn’t mind another season in an NP team if he can get himself fit.

8 minutes ago, Super said:

I would keep him on a short contract. 

Personally I sort of think that is the worst of all worlds. At the moment, we're stuck in a rut and need to plan for the future. I think we need to either plan around senior players or plan for a future without them. A short term contract gives Paterson and us more uncertainty, blocks us from being able to plan around Paterson and blocks us from being able to move on.

I think it really important, with every senior player out of contract, that we either commit to keeping them or we commit to not keeping them. But, like so many other things at the club, a decision needs to be made rather than kicked down the road. 

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

This is going to be a very interesting summer.  And one of the things that interests me is what level of clubs will be in for our our of contract players. And then seeing how they do for those clubs.

Pato can be a very good player at this level imo. I am happy for him to leave though as I think we struggle to get the best out of him.

He struggles to get the best out of himself!

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Personally I sort of think that is the worst of all worlds. At the moment, we're stuck in a rut and need to plan for the future. I think we need to either plan around senior players or plan for a future without them. A short term contract gives Paterson and us more uncertainty, blocks us from being able to plan around Paterson and blocks us from being able to move on.

I think it really important, with every senior player out of contract, that we either commit to keeping them or we commit to not keeping them. But, like so many other things at the club, a decision needs to be made rather than kicked down the road. 

Fair points mate.

Every team needs a creative flair player like Pato, but can we carry two inconsistent ones in him and Palmer? If I had the choice it would be Paterson for me as I think he’s contributed more but the contract situation will dictate it’s going to be the other way around

Scored some good goals for us. Understand the form criticisms and it's something we need to fix, if NP stays I trust he'll make the right call.

If JP is leaving I hope he takes O'Dowda with him. Both players have never really consistently clicked here. Though, when we were flying at times, it felt like JP was more a part of the team! 

Too inconsistent for me, seemed to up his game when he came back from Derby on loan, but drifts in and out (more often than not) and doesn't influence enough games for his talent. Whether the set up is wrong, another 'club in the bag' so to speak, and he's not utilised to his best potential? Having been out injured, have we missed him in midfield?  Maybe.

Going forward, we need players who are going to be on the money for the majority if not all of the 46+ games of the season, not pick n choose when they 'turn it on'.

I am always in two minds about Paterson.

He does hit purple patches and then has long periods out of form.

The trouble is that he is one of the few players we have that can create a goal out of nothing, and probably the best one we have for that. That's invaluable when you are under the cosh as we so often are. He has won us many points on his own over the years. But then too many games where he may as well not be there.

I won't be upset if he stays or goes.

Just now, BanburyRed said:

Too inconsistent for me, seemed to up his game when he came back from Derby on loan, but drifts in and out (more often than not) and doesn't influence enough games for his talent. Whether the set up is wrong, another 'club in the bag' so to speak, and he's not utilised to his best potential? Having been out injured, have we missed him in midfield?  Maybe.

Going forward, we need players who are going to be on the money for the majority if not all of the 46+ games of the season, not pick n choose when they 'turn it on'.

The inconsistent label is interesting as you can apply that to pretty much all the team.

1 minute ago, Super said:

The inconsistent label is interesting as you can apply that to pretty much all the team.

Yep, I'd agree with that.  Too many have coasted towards the end of the season.  Bentley has been the most consistent you would say, followed by Kalas (possibly), then who..? Injuries certainly haven't helped but that isn't something to hide behind as all teams have them, ours just seem to have been magnified by an inept medical team.

Pato is 29. He has probably had his best years with us. He would be a squad player at most Championship sides. Been an ok player for City over the years, but I think time to move him on, out with the old and in with the new

10 minutes ago, Superjack said:

The trouble is that he is one of the few players we have that can create a goal out of nothing, and probably the best one we have for that. That's invaluable when you are under the cosh as we so often are. He has won us many points on his own over the years. But then too many games where he may as well not be there.

Which is exactly why he should go 

7 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Agree with a lot of this.

I think he’ll go & overall that probably is for the best, but am not surprised at all there is Championship interest in him.

I look at our midfield options & can think of 2 others with their little fan clubs (one of whom has played a fair bit at Championship level & consistently contributes far less & the other has no track record at all, yet apparently is another Lionel Messi). For me he’s a far better option than either.
Paterson is two footed, technically excellent, as likely a scorer as our midfield has & ahead of most re assists.

He’s also lightweight & inconsistent, though if he wasn’t the latter, we would never have signed him, he’d be playing for someone far better.

Probably our best technical player.

29 (30 in December).

Decision should be on:

• how does NP want to play next season
  • is Pato considered better than what else he has (Pato v Palmer for example - could he move Palmer on?)
  • has he someone else in mind that is an upgrade

You will find a mix of opinions above.  Pros and cons.

Despite perceived inconsistency, his actual output (goals and assists) is better than any other midfielder we currently have.

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

i read a few championship clubs are after jamie. what on earth is this club doing. i know he is not everyones cup of tea. it will cost us so much to replace someone with his ability. come on steve make some decisions. 

Stoke, Brum, Millwall, Forest all mentioned as being interested .....https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-nottingham-forest-birmingham-stoke-and-millwall-race-to-sign-paterson/

Archived