IGNORED

Jamie Patterson

Hampshire reds

I know that a player's confidence is everything but I've felt with one or two of our players where they believe in  themselves too much and blast the ball anywhere near the goal where a simple pass would give another player an easy chance. Patterson scored some great goals at the beginning of the season but then went on a run of games when it was only him (in his own mind) who could score and wasted alot of chances. Wells is also very guilty of doing this, as if they are playing for themselves rather than the team.

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Ask yourself if Patterson would hold down a place in any of the top 6 Championship teams.

Ask yourself if anyone currently on our books would?

Possibly our goalkeeper, no one else comes close.

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with a lot of this.

I think he’ll go & overall that probably is for the best, but am not surprised at all there is Championship interest in him.

I look at our midfield options & can think of 2 others with their little fan clubs (one of whom has played a fair bit at Championship level & consistently contributes far less & the other has no track record at all, yet apparently is another Lionel Messi). For me he’s a far better option than either.
Paterson is two footed, technically excellent, as likely a scorer as our midfield has & ahead of most re assists.

He’s also lightweight & inconsistent, though if he wasn’t the latter, we would never have signed him, he’d be playing for someone far better.

I was just going to say exactly this.

Paterson is inconsistent and can frustrate as a result. But he never goes missing and he has tonnes ability. His movement is excellent and I think we have really missed him while he’s been out this season. He’s more likely to create and score goals than pretty much anyone else we have at present, and Christ knows we need some creativity. Until this season his fitness record has been pretty good too.

I would keep Paterson for another 2 years personally. As Graham said, if he consistently played at his best he’d be playing for someone way higher up the pyramid than us.

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think if any player summed us up over the last 4 years it’s Paterson. Gets you excited after 3 good games and then returns to abject for the remaining 43 

I think he’s a lot better than that.

A lot of people on this thread are talking about how he wouldn’t be a regular in a top 6 side, and I think that’s true. What’s also true is that we are absolutely miles off that level as a club at the moment. As a result, are we really going to do that much better than players like Paterson? I’m really not so sure we are. 

1 minute ago, Red_Alligator said:

Says it all Graham, even he is very much open to debate!

Personally I think he’s better than Swansea or Barnsley’s keepers but even if he is, we have no one else who is making any sort of case.

He is one of the reasons we have gone nowhere. Very good on his day, but when those days are, are anybodies guess.

Went out on loan for a reason, one of which was not performing to the best of his ability when it mattered. Granted he came back and looked better, but again put in a few meh performances and then ended up on the increasingly large injury list.

Best for everyone if he moves on, along with most of the others OOC. For the money we spend on giving him a new contract, we could probably get someone else in, maybe even younger and more consistent.

Good riddance. As other say, one good game every 30 is not good enough for his wages and experience. We have better players coming through that will offer more than him like Scott, Pearson etc let someone else foot his bill and inconsistency.

peasron is looking for players he can rely on. Pato is not one

Pearson has previously alluded to the fact that he wants a team of consistant 7/10 reliable performers. Pato can be really good on his day and his early season form, goals, assists and energy have been sorely missed. However, if we are to improve the squad then the likes of Pato need to be let go.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Whatever your opinion, to suggest he only has a few good games across a full season is a gross exaggeration.

Maybe true Dave but we don’t see it as he’s out on loan somewhere. ;)

Good player on his day but another one who needs to go . Along with many others. 

The clubs supposedly after JP will no doubt be interested mostly because he's on a free transfer, and will view him as squad player rather than a first choice imo.

Not sure we've ever had any bids for Paterson in almost 5 years, and let's face it, Derby could have have signed him permanently if they'd wanted to.

The one thing City need beyond all else next season is determined, consistent players with a character the manager and fans can rely on.

That's not Pato afaic.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Whatever your opinion, to suggest he only has a few good games across a full season is a gross exaggeration.

Yep i would estimate..........15-18 good games a season...average games 10...........poor  games 15 ish.  And i would never use the term "good riddance" when describing a leaving  City player ( with the odd exception), who has always tried his best, but not always succeeded?

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For info.

9DA79FCD-4111-4E5B-BC63-B5DD1CE86786.jpeg

They’re not interested in the facts, though, are they?

Seen some utter nonsense quoted on here about others in the squad that apparently offer us more, despite absolutely no evidence to back it up.

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i read a few championship clubs are after jamie. what on earth is this club doing. i know he is not everyones cup of tea. it will cost us so much to replace someone with his ability. come on steve make some decisions. 

Agreed. Most underrated player at this club.   

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Probably our best technical player.

29 (30 in December).

Decision should be on:

• how does NP want to play next season
  • is Pato considered better than what else he has (Pato v Palmer for example - could he move Palmer on?)
  • has he someone else in mind that is an upgrade

You will find a mix of opinions above.  Pros and cons.

Despite perceived inconsistency, his actual output (goals and assists) is better than any other midfielder we currently have.

Yes. He is a great character too.  People forget how important it is to have these sorts of people in the squad.  

Do we really want to extend his deal, and go into another season with him and KP as our options? 

KP is under contract for another 2 years, so if you don't want the above to happen, you must either sell him or loan him out.

Szmodics was a casualty to these two being here, and if we have both again going into next season, it's another position we're failing to improve upon in the summer.

Disappointed if he is still here come the start of pre season.

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Cost us so much to replace someone with his ability? Really?

He shows this ability about once every 30 games. 

I think we probably have already replaced him with someone with arguably better ability in Semenyo.

Until he gets injured or sold in the summer

Archived