IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed as new City Manager on a 3 Year Deal

CyderInACan

Great news about Nige, if confirmed.

Downing and Simpson staying - that's unexpected and a bit odd, hopefully only here until replacements are in situ because they seem to have added very little, if anything at all.

Would have liked to have seen Simpson/Downing move on, surprised they haven’t, but I’m going to rationalise my way out by concluding that if Pearson didn’t think they were up to it, he wouldn’t have allowed it as a term. So at best he’s asked for them to stay, at worst he’s happy with them staying.

‘Remain on his staff’ is pretty loose terminology. Still think he’ll look to bring in his own assistant(s).

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Doubt we could get him from Aston Villa but is it possible he would want to work with Pearson again, relish the challenge? Still I doubt we could get him.

You assume talks haven't been ongoing for a number of weeks? 

11 minutes ago, lenred said:

Quite! Doesn’t make sense to me but have to trust in it atm. 

Amazing how all of this is from one reporters tweet 

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

Great news, slightly let down by the fact Dumb & Dumber are going to remain as assistants, but it doesnt mean he wont get an additional 2 or 3 of his own staff in to slowly make them redundant as his time here progresses.

Why do you call them Dumb & Dumber?

I don't see any evidence for that, they were the ones that identified really quickly that they couldn't cope covering for Holden. 

Brilliant news if confirmed. But has been tempered again if confirmed that Downing and Simpson are staying. That is a real disappointment and unless Pearson wanted them to stay is hindering the new exciting Pearson era already by having to carry these two along with him.

10 minutes ago, lenred said:

Quite! Doesn’t make sense to me but have to trust in it atm. 

Must admit I had a feeling one of them (my guess was Simpson) was going to be sticking around if Pearson got the job.

Don’t think we could tempt Shakespeare away from Villa, Powell (who worked with him at Derby) is currently employed by Spurs, but wasn’t expecting both to stay on.

Oh well.

Just now, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Great news if true. PS and KD staying is interesting because I imagine Nige probably said he was happy to work with them and tbf from what I've seen from Simpson in interviews I'm ok with it. 

I imagine Walsh and Rennie may come in as DoF and Head Physio along with a couple of others. 

I would imagine they would just be coaches, and we will see a new assistant manager 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Must admit I had a feeling one of them (my guess was Simpson) was going to be sticking around if Pearson got the job.

Don’t think we could tempt Shakespeare away from Villa, Powell (who worked with him at Derby) is currently employed by Spurs, but wasn’t expecting both to stay on.

Oh well.

Would love Chris Powell. A good mate is a Charlton fan and rates him highly. Likely he'll be out of Spurs in a few weeks when they appoint a new Manager. 

If Simpson and Downing have contracts and we can't get exactly who we want perhaps it's best to pay them to coach rather than waste money.  Sorting the overall structure is of far greater importance. Recruitment, Analysis, S & C, medical all need sorting as a priority. 

17 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

It could be announced before saturday?? So a journalist has said its all agreed, but it could be announced within the next 3 days? At the risk of being told im no fun at partys, this doesnt exactly sound like a display of forthright and accurate journalism to me, more like a stab in the dark to suggest something that might have been happening anyway. 

i will go for another one,,, diedhou might not be playing for us next season....

Well the Social Media Blackout starts Friday...

37 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

In my experience people who say “bet you’re fun at parties” aren’t particularly engaging company at social occasions.

If your comeback was just "No you", it could well be true. 

Could've said "I bet when you play charades you really commit" 

Perhaps with everyone else going to Ipswich Steve/Nige is hoping that Simpson and Downing are the next ones to go, creating a bit more compensation.

On a serious note, how about this scenario.

Pearson may be undecided on them. End of the day, this bunch of players couldn't be arsed, so it may not be a true reflection of the pair.

Steve may also have said to Nige "look Nige, we can't afford to bring in Steve Walsh, a new medical team, and get rid of those two on top of the players we need. How about we get you Walsh, a decent medical team, and you keep those two on for now. Then in 3 months time if they really are crap, we'll stitch Ashton up and tell them he can take them FOC."

Things may also happen over the summer.

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Why do you call them Dumb & Dumber?

I don't see any evidence for that, they were the ones that identified really quickly that they couldn't cope covering for Holden. 

A man who gets sacked by Northwich Victoria and another who gets sacked by Cheltenham Town seem pretty dumb to me.....i wouldnt even get sacked by Northwich Victoria.....

Archived