IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed as new City Manager on a 3 Year Deal

CyderInACan

Just now, JonDolman said:

Pearson has said a number of times that him and Lansdown have had a number of honest discussions. I can't imagine Pearson would be fine with 2 coaches working with him who he thinks aren't any good.

I can't believe Lansdown would appoint a big name and surely more expensive manager in Pearson and then not give him the tools he feels he needs to get the job done.

I think it's more likely that if they stay then it's because Pearson works well with them, rates them as coaches and is happy to continue with that part of the coaching set up.

Ok then, but either way, it’s a guess, isn’t it?

Excellent news. 

Results have been -  on balance - well, horrific.

However, Nige has done the business elsewhere, is a no-bullshitter, his own man with great clarity of thought and determination to succeed. He clearly doesn’t suffer fools and wasters gladly,  so those who ain’t prepared to put a full shift in, week in, week out ...goodbye and good riddance. 

For the first time, since Cotts I think we have made an appointment that will drive us forward.

Well done Steve. Doubt he’s your ‘best fit’. But maybe you just need a bit of a Hargreaves pairing to make Lansdown as much a success in the football world as in the business world. 

12 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Three year deal is far too long based on what we have seen. An expensive sacking on the horizon...

12 months with an extra year option would have done.

I guess that depends to a great extent on what your expectation of our position in the League would be at the end of season 2021/22 Ivan.

I'd expect a mid-table finish to be realistic. Hence the three years.

Nige or not, it's going to take a while to turn the big red ship around. Let's hope for favourable weather.

40 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Football fans are fickle and after a bad season, there is a natural assumption that all the players and coaches are rubbish. Not surprising, but it’s unlikely to be true. Let’s see what NP tweaks.

Sorry it’s nothing to do with being ‘fickle’ and not sure why the jibe, I gave what I believe to be a valid reason whilst also understanding the position.  Not sure what’s fickle about it at all. They are part of a management team that failed. Miserably.  End of. But I get that there are also other areas that need to be addressed, like I also said. 

What this appointment will give the club, management, players and staff is much needed direction. Allow Nige the ownership of the 1st eleven - it’s his team, no excuses. He will need at least two transfer windows to effect change IMO. But at least the shambles of Ashton has been negated.
We can all move on.

I have no issue with Downing and Simpson staying, Nige has identified the issues within the club and he obviously believes they are not part of the problem.

None of us have an idea of their abilities. I hope he can bring in his own assistant or coaches if he desires to compliment the current staff and we appoint Walsh as DOF. 

56 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I agree Graham.

Plus the fact that they signed 3 year deals on probably considerable wages.

Are we still paying off LJ as well? I know DH was on a rolling contract, but all of these things cost.

I think their cards are probably marked in the medium to long term. But any other coaches currently employed, would need to leave; and then probably do some gardening leave again at their present clubs. It all takes time.

NP probably just wants to get going here and now; as he knows that we've got a hell of a lot to do in 3 months before the new season starts.

I don’t think they will be on considerable wage at all.  But I haven’t seen their contracts have I @Spoons?

England age group stuff below u21s isn’t well paid, it’s almost part time too, so they wouldn’t have needed to offer them much.

City advertised Luke Williams job at £35k pa!!!

46 minutes ago, Pezo said:

So there contacts aren't up for a couple years yet then, we will be paying for LJ until this summer I think (but may have a clause for joing another club) and we will be paying for DH until February then? 

Sounds like a @Davefevs question to me ?

I’ve no idea what contract length they came in on.  I was surprised when I heard people post they were on different contract lengths to Holden.

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's "social media " not club websites etc isn't it?

Happy Robert Redford GIF

6 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Do you have a link..

Muchos gracias

Sorry, didn't mean he talked about Nigel as the pod would have been recorded before the news broke. Would always recommend Football Weekly though.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2021/apr/28/champions-league-chelsea-real-madrid-psg-manchester-city-peterborough-football-weekly

I imagine tomorrow's Totally Football League Show from The Athletic will cover it. Available wherever you get your podcasts!

Good to hear, and the fact Pearson hasn’t been quite the revelation we thought in his first couple of months at the club is even more reason to tie him up on a long-term deal IMO, the problems are so deep-seated that it’s going to take some fixing. 

If only we’d’ve gone for an experienced manager when Cotterill left, we’d be in a much better place than we are now and have avoided so many daft decisions.

One or two have their doubts about Pearson, but I’ve yet to hear them come up with anything approaching a sensible alternative.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Without wishing to piss on any chips, that’s not really “confirmed” is it!

2 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Bet you’re fun at a party 

I'm just glad he's given up working at the chippy.  

Good news.   NP recognises the opportunity here.  

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Really hope NP gives him a new contract. We have missed AW massively IMO and he is the sort who would thrive under NP

Does a lot of work that goes unnoticed, can link the play, and score goals.

Him along with Walsh, are the two OOC that I hope stay. Baker providing he takes a wage cut based on how often he has been available, and then if that improves, so can his terms.

regarding simpson and Downing, it could be NPs first choice has a contract they want to honour for a while  so better the devil he knows if they are ok.

chuffed to bits with the news, and relieved all my hopes of bits clicking into place came to fruitition. topped with hms PTL sinking,not a bad end to a shit season

1 minute ago, Malvern Red said:

Massive difference. You have full control over the media you own to prevent unacceptable comments being published 

I think the point was, even with a social media ban we can still publish confirmation on our own site.

1 minute ago, Malvern Red said:

Massive difference. You have full control over the media you own to prevent unacceptable comments being published 

I think the point was, even with a social media ban we can still publish confirmation on our own site. As the post phantom quoted was in regards to not being able to confirm Pearson due to the boycott.

Archived