IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed as new City Manager on a 3 Year Deal

CyderInACan

It's great that we've secured his services for the next 3 years but let's not get too carried away with ourselves as there is an enormous amount of work to do, from sorting out the backroom staff, through player fitness, to the squad for next season. Apart from the initial managerial change bounce (at least away) results and performances have not been what we'd hoped for. There are of course mitigating circumstances, not the least the horrendous injury list, but even after we've shipped out those he doesn't want some will have to buck their ideas up if they're are play a significant role next year. The real positive, aside from his experience, is that he has a clear vision for how he wants to take the club forward, something we've been lacking for some time. I'm not looking at promotion next season but I'm feeling positive for solid improvement and a position in the top 12.

I get think there will be a different feeling around the club now and with the players, would imagine certain players will not feature for the last few games and most of these will be glad to see the back of. We all need to get behind NP now and trust him and hope the Club (SL, JL etc) get behind his vision of how we improve to get where we want to be. if it involves slightly higher wages to get quality in then so be it (wages not bigger transfer fees, as felt the wages was always why we don't attract quality player) certainly give the club a brighter feeling than when we appointed both LJ or DH (as felt disappointed in both those appointments) I understand some of the fans will not be particularly happy at NP being appointed manager as the recent run has been poor to say the least, but will judge him next season not on trying to manage the shower of shit players we have now (the legacy of MA, LJ & DH) 

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Leaving three vital components left - recruitment, medical/conditioning and playing staff. I've never known a rebuild job like it at any club from my memory. We are literally giving NP a blank sheet of paper and saying build us a proper football club.

7 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I suppose we are, but if we're going to do it, then this is a good start.. 

Quite. He has built teams that have gone from this division to the next.

He, and his team, have unearthed some absolute gems in the transfer market (whether any of his team are to follow remains to be seen - I would expect at least 1 or 2).

He has the experience of this division and the next.

Yes his start has been crap, but you have to put that down to injuries and players who just don't care anymore - they won't remain here.

The infrastructure is here, and he has the best example of a blank canvas that I think you're ever going to get in football.

So long as he is backed, things will improve. You would have to think that things like transfer targets, budgets etc have been discussed, and both parties are happy with the outcome of those discussions - otherwise this announcement wouldn't be happening.

I'm not expecting miracles next season, but an improvement. Mid table when you consider the mess we're in, and the number we need to bring in, would be a successful season. He has already said he expects 5-6 transfer windows to be ready to to push for the Premiership - that's 3 seasons - the duration of his contract. 

This is not an overnight change, and if anyone thinks it will be, then they'll be disappointed.

I for one am delighted with this news.

Personally, I am delighted by the news. With Ashton out of the picture, the decision was in the hands of the Lansdown family. With so many players being out of contract Pearson has more freedom to make decisions with regard to the playing squad. He has, as close as you can get, a blank sheet of paper. We look to him to make his mark. 

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

This "right people on board" part of him comments has gotten me excited:

Pearson said: “I want to be part of a team that gets to the Premier League. It’s going to be a tough journey and we’ll need the right people on board to achieve it but I am excited about the possibilities ahead.”

Sounds great, look forward to Simpson and Downing being shown the door!

1 minute ago, cheese said:

Why?  What have they done that's so wrong?

Let me see... Downing is the defensive coach and we have let in 9 more goals from set pieces than any other side in the Championship. Simpson just tarnished with the brush that had us playing the worst brand of football since Pulis days.

Just now, old_eastender said:

Let me see... Downing is the defensive coach and we have let in 9 more goals from set pieces than any other side in the Championship. Simpson just tarnished with the brush that had us playing the worst brand of football since Pulis days.

Fair enough.

Genuinely delighted! ? For NP & you Robins.

Your situation has parallels with when he came to LCFC, we were relegated to Div 3, and he got rid of the deadwood, and brought in committed players who would (Romp) win promotion and a team that finished 5th the season after in The Champ. Exciting times ahead, I'll be wishing you all the best.

21 minutes ago, Greedo said:

Really hope we bring in Steve Walsh to sort out our recruitment now. 

NP’s signings at Hull without Walsh aren’t the most inspiring  

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-city-nigel-pearson-signings-4201847

Some of those players at that time were brilliant and would far improve our squad massively in terms of quality. Maybe this was a whoosh post?

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Now, to any wasters who are posing as "footballers" wearing the Bristol City shirt, Nigel Pearson is here to stay. 

If you want that to continue for yourself, buck up your ******* ideas and start proving your worth. Otherwise don't let the door hit you in the ass.

No. Let it hit you several times. Hard.

tumblr_m9z3rvT9Wj1qcga5ro1_500.gif

25 minutes ago, Greedo said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-city-nigel-pearson-signings-4201847

hmmm, so NP not very successful in signings without Walsh, Walsh a disaster at Everton without NP... perhaps they need each other! 

38 minutes ago, Greedo said:

Basso and Dele. Go on Nige, get the band back together! 

1 minute ago, Red_Alligator said:

No Walsh. No Shakespeare / Powell??

Did you expect every appointment to be announced on the same day at the same time. Pearson has a game to think about on Saturday and I'm sure over the next week or three we will see further adjustments. We can't have everything right now, this second!!

A few notes from that Pearson interview.

Love the way Pearson talks about a winning culture and the importance of specific roles and responsibilities in achieving that. Gives me confidence. 

Says there is room to manoeuvre due to players leaving but we won't bring in loads of players to completely change the way the squad looks. Emphasises getting the foundations right in this window, including getting our own players fit and firing again. 

Admits this season has been an underperformance with the squad we have and wants to give people the opportunity to come on the journey. If not they can go. Also said we're a long way off being in the Premier League currently. 

1 minute ago, CheddarReds said:

A few notes from that Pearson interview.

Love the way Pearson talks about a winning culture and the importance of specific roles and responsibilities in achieving that. Gives me confidence. 

Says there is room to manoeuvre due to players leaving but we won't bring in loads of players to completely change the way the squad looks. Emphasises getting the foundations right in this window, including getting our own players fit and firing again. 

Admits this season has been an underperformance with the squad we have and wants to give people the opportunity to come on the journey. If not they can go. Also said we're a long way off being in the Premier League currently. 

From that I would guess a captain and additions to the "spine" of the side in the coming window then which, given the sheer numbers of players we have in midfield suggests a couple of surprises in terms of players moving on I reckon.

Getting the "right people" is mentioned twice on the official site, Pearson and Jon both saying it in the very limited comments included in the article.

Exciting times ahead for sure, but what's/who's first? Walsh, Shakespeare, Rennie then players?

Archived